OCI - New York Tracker

I just checked the online status of my OCI application and it said

Documents Dispatched to Mission/Office on: 06-Sep-2010
Documents Received at New York CGI on: 16-Sep-2010

I had a question for the gurus here: I am a few hours from New York but I intend to go in-person to hand over my US passport and collect the U-Visa later the same day. In other words, I have to plan for it as I need to take a day off from work for it. I am thinking first week of October as it is difficult for me to take a day off earlier than that. How long do I have to get the final thing done before they hit the "restart" button again?

Do you know when Indian Counsulate cash the check for OCI application? As soon as they receive the application or when they Acknowledge the file? Thanks everyone

I just checked the online status of my OCI application and it said

Documents Dispatched to Mission/Office on: 06-Sep-2010
Documents Received at New York CGI on: 16-Sep-2010

I had a question for the gurus here: I am a few hours from New York but I intend to go in-person to hand over my US passport and collect the U-Visa later the same day. In other words, I have to plan for it as I need to take a day off from work for it. I am thinking first week of October as it is difficult for me to take a day off earlier than that. How long do I have to get the final thing done before they hit the "restart" button again?

I don't think there is any deadline by which you have to get your OCI card and U-Visa after they are received at the consulate. It appears that there are tons of uncollected documents at the consulate and they have even held an "OCI Mela" recently to encourage people to collect those documents which are still lying with them. I am pretty sure going there in first week of October will not be too late at all.

OCI collection steps

My OCI has arrived at the NY CG office as per the online message.

Do I have to go personally to collect?
If not, what is procedure to collect by mail?

I am planning to take/send
1)All family members passport
2)Printout of the online message mentioning arrival of OCI
3) Any thing else??

Thanks
BK.

Got a call today from somebody at CGI, NY to send the original PIO card, similar to one SunnyOCI got.
Couldn't answer and they left a message.
Sent the PIO card via fedex and it will be there tomorrow.
Let's see when my status gets updated.

My OCI has arrived at the NY CG office as per the online message.

Do I have to go personally to collect?
If not, what is procedure to collect by mail?

I am planning to take/send
1)All family members passport
2)Printout of the online message mentioning arrival of OCI
3) Any thing else??

Thanks
BK.

BK,
Is the CGINY within reasonable (local train, drive) distance from your place? If yes, and if I were in your position, I would go there in person to get the stamping done....
I belong to the DC region and this office does not allow "In-person" stamping.... People in our region (DC) are waiting anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks to get their PPs and OCI booklets back. NY doesn't appear to be any better for mailed PPs....

Atleast NY office allows applicants to come in person to get this final step done....

Also, if you are in need of the documents soon (for travel or other reasons), it makes sense to go in person....

Once you mail it, the "Wait-game" starts and there is not status query system that will answer any of your questions... until the docs return in one pack...

Good luck...

BK,
Is the CGINY within reasonable (local train, drive) distance from your place? If yes, and if I were in your position, I would go there in person to get the stamping done....
I belong to the DC region and this office does not allow "In-person" stamping.... People in our region (DC) are waiting anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks to get their PPs and OCI booklets back. NY doesn't appear to be any better for mailed PPs....

Atleast NY office allows applicants to come in person to get this final step done....

Also, if you are in need of the documents soon (for travel or other reasons), it makes sense to go in person....

Once you mail it, the "Wait-game" starts and there is not status query system that will answer any of your questions... until the docs return in one pack...

Good luck...
Also, significant gamble with your original passport getting "lost" at CGNY and causing unnecessary delay (speaking from personal experience). I will be doing this in person.

Also, significant gamble with your original passport getting "lost" at CGNY and causing unnecessary delay (speaking from personal experience). I will be doing this in person.

Thanks for your replies.
Does passport and OCI receipt printout is all needed?
Rgds
BK

Renunciation fee $20 + $20 + $4.90? confused...

I am a US citizen since 2009. Never canceled my Indian passport. No plans to travel to India in near future but want to get the OCI in case I need to travel anytime to India.
Was looking at the CGINY website (I live in NY) and I am totally confused as to what is the exact fees to be sent for the cancellation of Indian passport. The fee is $20. In addition they have mentioned a $20 mailing fee, and then a postage fee of $18.30 for express mail or $4.90 for priority is mentioned.
Can somebody solve this puzzle please?

The Renunciation Fee is $20.

If you want the consulate to mail your passport back the fee is another $20.

If you want to send your own return prepaid Express Mail envelope please attach USPS stamps of $18.30.

If you want to send your own return prepaid Priority Mail envelope please attach USPS stamps of $4.90.

Basically for return shipping you have 3 choices $20, $18.30 or $4.90.

Renunciation fee $20 + $20 + $4.90? confused...

I am a US citizen since 2009. Never canceled my Indian passport. No plans to travel to India in near future but want to get the OCI in case I need to travel anytime to India.
Was looking at the CGINY website (I live in NY) and I am totally confused as to what is the exact fees to be sent for the cancellation of Indian passport. The fee is $20. In addition they have mentioned a $20 mailing fee, and then a postage fee of $18.30 for express mail or $4.90 for priority is mentioned.
Can somebody solve this puzzle please?

Thanks for your replies.
Does passport and OCI receipt printout is all needed?
Rgds
BK
Yes. Those two are sufficient. Make sure you check and double check the OCI stamp and booklet once you get it. Lot of people had mistakes in theirs when I went to pick up mine.

Status update

Documents printed today!
It has already been more than two months since my OCI application was received at NYCG. Those in urgent need of OCI might take note of this. In my case, I'm not planning to go to India till March of next year, so not an issue!

The Consulate will cash the money orders or bank certified checks much later than the date of acknowledgement. It has been seen in many cases where the applications are sent back/returned after one month along with the checks. The consulate does not even open your packet for 3-4 weeks. Hence the acknowledgement is taking 4 weeks. I think the checks are cashed after the OCI is granted. IT WILL BE VERY NICE IF THE FORUM USERS KINDLY PUT THEIR TIMELINES INCLUDING THE DATE OF CHECKS BEING CASHED. I SEE THIS FORUM IS IN A DYING STATE i.e. moving very slow day by day...

Do you know when Indian Counsulate cash the check for OCI application? As soon as they receive the application or when they Acknowledge the file? Thanks everyone

Thanks a lot.

The Consulate will cash the money orders or bank certified checks much later than the date of acknowledgement. It has been seen in many cases where the applications are sent back/returned after one month along with the checks. The consulate does not even open your packet for 3-4 weeks. Hence the acknowledgement is taking 4 weeks. I think the checks are cashed after the OCI is granted. IT WILL BE VERY NICE IF THE FORUM USERS KINDLY PUT THEIR TIMELINES INCLUDING THE DATE OF CHECKS BEING CASHED. I SEE THIS FORUM IS IN A DYING STATE i.e. moving very slow day by day...

OCI Application returned

I have a peculiar problem that I am facing. I had asked for simultaneous cancellation of my passport at the time of applying for my OCI. It took them a month to return it!

My OCI application was returned by CGNY with the following comments:
1.'Name Change' Petition from US authorities as the name in the US passport does not tally with the name in Indian Passport
2. Proof of address in our jurisdiction

On the 2nd point, I had already provided a copy of my NJ Driver's license with the address showing!

On the 1st point, my original Indian passport had a long name eg
My name + Father's name + a composite family name; typical of Goan family names! Just as an example "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar"
While issuing the Green Card, the INS did not use the 1st part of the family name and it suited fine, as there was no discrepancy. Thereafter the Citizenship was also granted that way! "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar" was turned into "Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar" -- without the Shenvi.
Now the Consulate is asking for "Attach name change petition copy from court order"

Any clues on how I can go about resolving this? My Green Card was issued over 20 years ago and my US Citizenship over 10!

I had posted this earlier on but appears nobody saw it! Does anybody on this forum have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI in one day

Dear All

Yesterday the last OCI processed at the consulate was USANI4466910. It was Ack, Photo scanned and GRANTED in one day. How is this possible? May be related to the consulate or paid extra under the table.

We have been waiting for more than one month. The consulate is sending our applications back for small f*****g reasons. Can we write or complain to someone above this consulate for this injustice?

Let us all get together and do something? Any ideas to protest this?