OCI - New York Tracker

aren't we supposed to apply separately? i can't recall but one of the consulate's site said apply separately. i could be wrong though or this process has changed since then

If you haven't applied yet, then don't apply for SC/OCI together. Those who have done it are having varying degree of success or complete failure.

That being said, there are at least two documents on the same site you are referring to that says SC/OCI applications can be sent together. I believe one of them even says "shall" be sent together.

Thanks JPBoston,

For heads up, I was about to submit OCI application and SC togeather for my hubby and kids.
People like you make this forum useful.

Its going to be 2 weeks delay but I think ok to be on safe side and dealing with you know what type of Babus

I had applied for both SC and OCI together and after one month of no news, I had written a couple of complaint emails and finally got a call back from the OCI cell yesterday. The lady said that they do accept both together but doing this will greatly delay your processing. The logic of this makes absolutely no sense but that is what the lady told me. She said basically your SC will processed first and then the SC and cancelled passport will be sent back to you and a copy of SC sent to the OCI to resume your OCI processing. However for anyone reading this that has not yet applied for either, DO NOT apply for both SC and OCI together. Apply for SC/passport cancellation first and after you get those back, then only apply for OCI. Trust me on this one.

So that phone call was yesterday. Today I received a Priority Mail package with both my SC and OCI applications and everything (including all certified checks) returned. They deemed both deficient in some aspect. For SC, they said I did not apply in duplicate. I followed the instruction PDF exactly as they said. Only duplicate they ask for is the copy of the completed application form. I think they want a complete duplicate submission of everything. Bloody idiots expect us to read their minds because they lack the intelligence to provide clear instructions in English.

For my OCI, they wanted a copy of my wife's passport and status in the US. I think this is for my son's OCI application because my wife is not applying for OCI. I realized after I had sent this in, that I needed to add my wife's passport page copies for my son and so this is not a surprise. However, also for my son's OCI application, they asked that both parents sign on the application form but I do not understand where exactly my wife needs to sign. She is not applying for OCI so therefore she shouldn't be signing next to my name as a secondary. But maybe that is what they want but it makes no sense. For the minor applicant (ie, my son), they ask only for the primary applicant (ie, me) to sign the minor declaration so there is no place over there for my wife to sign. Can someone explain to me what they did if they were the only parent applying for OCI along with a child?

Anyway for me, I just lost one month of time and will start by re-applying only for my SC and passport cancellation first before applying for OCIs later.

That is a wise decision! I don't think there will be a 2 weeks delay if you apply SC and OCI separately. You are right theoretically, and I also sent those together to save those two weeks. Instead it appears that the savings will almost be nil or even negative. It's almost six weeks since I sent my SC/OCI application together but I am yet to see any movement on it. At the very least it is time for me to get my canceled Indian PP back. That has not happened yet.

I guess my application got stuck in line at the OCI cell. When they opened it up about 3 or 4 weeks later (based on the acknowledgment date of another application sent a week later), they must have sent the SC application to the SC cell where it got stuck at the end of the line again!

JP got hit worse (well, I am not sure about my fate yet) because they sent his application back claiming that two sets of supporting documents are required for the SC. Good luck with your OCI journey!

Thanks JPBoston,

For heads up, I was about to submit OCI application and SC togeather for my hubby and kids.
People like you make this forum useful.

Its going to be 2 weeks delay but I think ok to be on safe side and dealing with you know what type of Babus

Last edited by a moderator:
PIO Card

I had submitted my OCI app around 3 weeks back. My daughter has a PIO card. Per instructions at that time, I had included a copy of the PIO card.

I received a call from someone at the consulate to send the original PIO card so that they may resume the processing of the application. Looks like they changed the requirement recently. Around three weeks back, they required the original PIO card only once OCI app was approved. Not sure why they have to start implementing this requirement retroactively.

Looks like they changed the requirement recently. Around three weeks back, they required the original PIO card only once OCI app was approved. Not sure why they have to start implementing this requirement retroactively.

Not true - I applied 5 weeks ago and it was pretty clear from the instructions that original PIO is to be sent with OCI application.

The instructions on the website have been and still are contradicting each other - far from being pretty clear to me. I sent a copy of the PIO card based on the experiences of a couple of my friends who submitted the original PIO card only after approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
The instructions on the website have been and still are contradicting each other - far from being pretty clear to me. I sent a copy of the PIO card based on the experiences of a couple of my friends who submitted the original PIO card only after approval.

I just went to the CG-NY site to copy and paste here an ambiguous and contradictory single paragraph from their OCI information page just as an example of their "professionalism". It appears that their site has been hacked and some malware put in there; FireFox throws up malware warning!

Status change

Applied for SC/OCI together on 7/26; application reached CG-NY on 7/27. Today (6 weeks after receiving the application at CG-NY), OCI Online Services status changed to show Date Of Acknowledgment as 07-SEP-2010.

SC and canceled passport not received yet.

I just went to the CG-NY site to copy and paste here an ambiguous and contradictory single paragraph from their OCI information page just as an example of their "professionalism". It appears that their site has been hacked and some malware put in there; FireFox throws up malware warning!

I love how the CGI-NY has a disclaimer at the bottom saying that they take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information on the site! That is truly the single most ridiculous part of the website that they own and run. Anyway, maybe some really disgruntled user decided to sabotage them.

Please do not send original PIO before checking with Mrs. Pushpa kumar or somebody else
- you need a backup in the event of emergency

I didn't submit original for my daughter and things could have changed

Thanks BostonCool. I already sent the original as I didn't want to delay the process. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't lose the original before the OCI is approved. I am hearing quite a few horror stories on this board.

Is there a phone number for Mrs Pushpa Kumar and is she reachable?

Thanks BostonCool. I already sent the original as I didn't want to delay the process. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't lose the original before the OCI is approved. I am hearing quite a few horror stories on this board.

Is there a phone number for Mrs Pushpa Kumar and is she reachable?

The website no longer says her name so try this
Email: ocistatus@indiacgny.org
Fax No: 212-879 7914
In case of emergency, please call: 212-774-0647
I 'am sure you are aware that the OCI process would take anywhere between 3-4 months

The website no longer says her name so try this
Email: ocistatus@indiacgny.org
Fax No: 212-879 7914
In case of emergency, please call: 212-774-0647
I 'am sure you are aware that the OCI process would take anywhere between 3-4 months

Thanks. I sent the PIO card only after I received a message from someone at the consulate to send the PIO card. I didn't think I had a choice. I am hoping it does not take that long. It's already been almost a month since I sent my application.

OCI received at NY consulate today 09/09/2010

Registration Status Granted On 18-AUG-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-AUG-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-AUG-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 19-AUG-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 09-SEP-2010

Good Luck to everyone.

OCI Update
SC and OCI STATUS

Surrender Certificate

SC - CGNY Receipt Dt : 10th Jun
SC/Cancelled Passports received back : 30th Jun (3.5 weeks from receipt date)

OCI

OCI Receipt Date at CGNY: 10th Jul

OCI UPDATE AS OF AUG 18th - ( For entire family )

OCI Acknowledged Date: 2nd Aug (3 weeks from receipt date)
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 19 - AUG-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Here is my time line-(Note: I obtained the SC first and then applied for OCI)
OCI application mailed on July 6th 2010 - Express mail. Reached consulate on July 7th 2010.
OCI Acknowledgment date: August 02, 2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 19-AUG-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI 09-SEP-2010

Hope others in line receive theirs soon.

Had an update today (9/9) : Registration Status Granted. Funny thing is the status date is for tomorrow - so probably done in India - are they working overnight ? :rolleyes:).

Had an update today (9/9) : Registration Status Granted. Funny thing is the status date is for tomorrow - so probably done in India - are they working overnight ? :rolleyes:).

The servers where the data is held are located in India and their clock is in IST. So if changes are made from NY after IST ticks over to next day, then those will be shown with a "future" date for us.

Thanks. I sent the PIO card only after I received a message from someone at the consulate to send the PIO card. I didn't think I had a choice. I am hoping it does not take that long. It's already been almost a month since I sent my application.

Hi SunnyOCI,
Did you just send it to OCI cell or addressed to anybody in particular?
Just curious how they treat these kind of additional requests, I hope it does sit in OCI queue until they open it.

Here is my timeline

Mailed to CGNY: July 15th
Acknowledged: Aug 26th
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 10-SEP-2010
Documents Printed On 10-SEP-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET