OCI - New York Tracker

Dharma16, I mailed it on May 20th. On June 2nd I got an email from consulate to come and collect by paying $20. I almost missed the email because it went straight into the "Junk" folder. Maybe you should check your junk folder to see if the mail got filtered.

OCI Misc Services Application

Greetings all,

I applied for OCI Miscellaneous Services on April 29 (I have had my OCI since 2006, applied for Misc Services due to change in passport particulars). As yet, the application is still not acknowledged on the online enquiry website, even though I received delivery confirmation on my application. Please advise what I can do - I tried calling and emailing several times with no response.

Thank you

Just FYI
I sent my USpassport for OCI stamping on June 3; received June 5

Waiting for OCI booklet and passport to be returned by mail. Will email them after next week.

I had sent copy of $175 SC and cancelled page of Indian passport.

Arjun

Hello Dr. Dutta,
Have you sent the US passports for OCI stamping using the Express mail? I am wondering if I should just send it by priority mail with delivery receipt? I have originally sent for SC and OCI stamping together with all necessary documents and $175 for each + 20 as suggested by Pushpa Kumar to CGINY on 05/19/2010. All money is taken and cancelled indian passoprts, Renunciation and US passports returned without the OCI. Now, I have to resend to OCI and send another $20 for return mail.
What a bunch of idiots? I have clearly separated the two packages on its own envelope and added cover letter for each and specifically mentioned on the cover letter of SC to send it to OCI Cell as clearly suggested by CGINY. I feel that CGINY is clearly bent on wasting people's money, let alone the overpayment for the SC already. What a waste???

Thanks!

Got back stamped passports!!

Mailed them on June 3rd, recd by consulate on June 4th and got it back on June 11th. The only problem is that they misspelled the middle name for my wife. It was misspelled even in the online status and I had asked in the cover letter to correct it. But I guess they either don't bother reading the cover letter or didn't want to change it. Don't know if it is big deal. May go over to the consulate after a few weeks when all this mess clears up and there isn't so much of a rush.

Hello Dr. Dutta,
Have you sent the US passports for OCI stamping using the Express mail? I am wondering if I should just send it by priority mail with delivery receipt? I have originally sent for SC and OCI stamping together with all necessary documents and $175 for each + 20 as suggested by Pushpa Kumar to CGINY on 05/19/2010. All money is taken and cancelled indian passoprts, Renunciation and US passports returned without the OCI. Now, I have to resend to OCI and send another $20 for return mail.
What a bunch of idiots? I have clearly separated the two packages on its own envelope and added cover letter for each and specifically mentioned on the cover letter of SC to send it to OCI Cell as clearly suggested by CGINY. I feel that CGINY is clearly bent on wasting people's money, let alone the overpayment for the SC already. What a waste???

Thanks!

Sent US passport via priority & delivery confirmation on June 3 reached June 5 GOT BACK TODAY via express mail; had emailed Pushpa kumar to see when I would get it back last week.
My suggestion if you live near NY and can aford to waste a day, just do it personally, go in the morning and have it done by afternoon.
Other option mail it and spend the $20 for return mail. The express mail cost $18.3; I do not think they have the time and patience to figure out a more efficinet way to handle requests and as ususal the OCI dept. does not necessarily talk to SC unless let's say your passport was stuck at OCI during the prior mess and you needed SC for OCI etc.
I am afraid you may need to shell out the extra 20...
Arjun

Hello,
Did anyone from NY apply for OCI who had a name change due to middle name not matching with Indian PP and US PP?. If so, could you please let me know what kind of documentation is required to prove the name change?. I did not receive a name change certificate during my oath as I was told by USCIS that since I am dropping a middle name a name change certificate is not needed??.. Any information is truly appreciated.

Hello,
Did anyone from NY apply for OCI who had a name change due to middle name not matching with Indian PP and US PP?. If so, could you please let me know what kind of documentation is required to prove the name change?. I did not receive a name change certificate during my oath as I was told by USCIS that since I am dropping a middle name a name change certificate is not needed??.. Any information is truly appreciated.

I did name change and dropped my middle name. My oath ceremony was held at courthouse. The court issued court order for name change and signed by Judge.
I enclosed this court order for SC and OCI. I got back SC and canceled passport. So for no problems for name change.
I checked with NY consulate, name change for court order copy is OK.

csekar,Thanks for the response.
Did you ask for legal name change in N-400?. I decided to drop my middle name at the time of interview which the interview officer said that I could do but I was told by USCIS that since I dropped my middle name I did not need a name change cerificate. If I knew about this OCI pain I preferred to have kept my middle name as I did not receive a court order. I am not sure if there are any alternatives. I have the NC with my new name though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update on the refunds of $155 for people who paid $175 for SC and their cheques were cashed?

I do not see this message anymore except on the Indian Consulate, San Francisco. I do not see this message anymore on NYC site.

'The issue of refund of any part of renunciation fee already paid by applicants till 31 May 2010, if applicable, has been taken up with the Government of India. The decision when received will be uniformly applied to those concerned and the information will be put on our website when available. Meanwhile no email/phone queries will be
entertained. '

I did write to Consulate General and Members of FIA. No response from them either. Is there any decision makde by Govt. Of India ?

csekar,Thanks for the response.
Did you ask for legal name change in N-400?. I decided to drop my middle name at the time of interview which the interview officer said that I could do but I was told by USCIS that since I dropped my middle name I did not need a name change cerificate. If I knew about this OCI pain I preferred to have kept my middle name as I did not receive a court order. I am not sure if there are any alternatives. I have the NC with my new name though.

1. Did your Oath ceremony in USCIS office or Courthouse.
2. During the interview did you signed certificate of name change document
If your answer is YES, you can get a copy of name change certificate either from USCIS office or courthouse. They are having a original. you can get a copy of \
this.
3. Name change in NC is not enough. Additionally need a name change document signed by court authority (Judge).

1. Did your Oath ceremony in USCIS office or Courthouse. - 2. During the interview did you signed certificate of name change document If your answer is YES, you can get a copy of name change certificate either from USCIS office or courthouse. They are having a original. you can get a copy of \
this.
3. Name change in NC is not enough. Additionally need a name change document signed by court authority (Judge).

1.courthouse
2.- No, I was not given one.
3. USCIS office keeps telling that I did not change my name only dropped my middle name so no name change certificate is required. For all legal purposes in US NC is enough - to get a US PP, updating SSN, Driver's license, bank records etc. They do not care about Indian Embassy requirements. This is a legal document is what they tell me. The court seal is also on the NC by the way. It could be they made a mistake or it is their process and I am not alone if you read the other threads in this forum.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

My OCI timeline: Online application for OCI: March 2009
Application sent to NYC consulate: March 28 2010 (lazy-bum , that I am).
Additional documents sent on April 27th
Acknowledgment: May 10th 2010
Sent from New Delhi: May 19 2010
Received at NY-Consulate May 27th 2010
USPassport sent to NYC June 7th 2010 (again laziness on my part)
Passport and OCI booklet arrived on Jun14th 2010 :eek:))

I live not far from NYCity, but chose to do everything by mail... all very peacefully!

Any update on 155 USD refund

Friends,
Any update on 155 USD refund? It seems we sent lot of emails to GOI and consulates and there is no response from them.
Thanks

Friends,
Any update on 155 USD refund? It seems we sent lot of emails to GOI and consulates and there is no response from them.
Thanks

Did you read the thread for last 10-15 days? How many sent emails or fax? onle 2-3 persons posted they sent emails. sending emails to NYC is of no use it should be Delhi. Nobody updates where they sent Email or sent fax. I feel that many just say that they have sent emails and did not send any emails. Few days back a person sent PM to me saying” He is scared that if he sends emails then NYC may not give OCI to him” I just laughed and these kinds of people don’t take action and depend on others to take action. What if every one thinks that let others sent fax/email/letter do you think anything is going to happen? They just keep on posting my OCI application or SC reached on this date consulate received on this date and they are not bothered about those who paid $175 .Many don’t care about the refund and are not interested in justice to be done are ready to fight the system.
Good Luck!!

Did you read the thread for last 10-15 days? How many sent emails or fax? onle 2-3 persons posted they sent emails. sending emails to NYC is of no use it should be Delhi. Nobody updates where they sent Email or sent fax. I feel that many just say that they have sent emails and did not send any emails. Few days back a person sent PM to me saying” He is scared that if he sends emails then NYC may not give OCI to him” I just laughed and these kinds of people don’t take action and depend on others to take action. What if every one thinks that let others sent fax/email/letter do you think anything is going to happen? They just keep on posting my OCI application or SC reached on this date consulate received on this date and they are not bothered about those who paid $175 .Many don’t care about the refund and are not interested in justice to be done are ready to fight the system.
Good Luck!!

Ginnu

I have sent emails to ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org,gopio-intl@sbcglobal.net, cg@indiacgny.org

Please let us know where else we can send follow up mails.

You are absolutely right that the longer the wait, this will be forgotten totally. Even in the GOPIO petition for refund they are empathising that it is an 'administrative issue to give refunds' and not making a strong plea at all.

Like i mentioned in an earlier post, it doesnt take long for the Indian govt to decide one way or the other. They are just wanting to delay this so that people lose the urge and interest to ask for refund.

Thanks

refund reminder

My suggestion is to keep sending emails. I already have them in my sent box and I periodically will re-email them to the same people and new officers/ministries

the other option is to keep badgering the ambassador.

Arjun

Received Original Cashier's Check, Canceled Passports, and SC!!

Hi,

Just wanted to update this group that today I received our canceled Indian passports, the original Cashier's check ($175 each) and the Surrender Certificates!

After the announcement on the NYC Consulate Web site about the fact that new US citizens (before June 1st 2010) would only need to pay $20 and not $175, we sent in a new cashier's check for $20 each on May 26th with a cover letter explaining the situation and our info, and got back the SC, passports, and original cashier's check today.

Just don't know what to do with the SC, now that it is not required anywhere :)

They seem to be doing the best they can under the circumstances. I would suggest a little patience, and things will work themselves out, just like it does in India!

Another update: I just checked online, the NYC Consulate received our OCI from Delhi today!!! Wooooohooooo!
So I'm probably going to email them our canceled passports, US passports, cover letter, and copy of SC for what it is worth. Hopefully they will mail back the OCI docs and passports by next week at which point our arduous journey will finally be OVER!!!!

Hi,

Just wanted to update this group that today I received our canceled Indian passports, the original Cashier's check ($175 each) and the Surrender Certificates!

After the announcement on the NYC Consulate Web site about the fact that new US citizens (before June 1st 2010) would only need to pay $20 and not $175, we sent in a new cashier's check for $20 each on May 26th with a cover letter explaining the situation and our info, and got back the SC, passports, and original cashier's check today.
When exactly did you send them $20 MO? You must not have sent on May 26 since the rules came in on Jun 1.

As far OCI stamping is concerned, I think you only need to send copy of canceled PPs, not the original PPs. Do not forget to include the online status page, and $20 MO again.

When exactly did you send them $20 MO? You must not have sent on May 26 since the rules came in on Jun 1.

As far OCI stamping is concerned, I think you only need to send copy of canceled PPs, not the original PPs. Do not forget to include the online status page, and $20 MO again.

Hi pb74,

Yes, I did send them the $20 cashier's checks on May 26th. Around that time there were a bunch of announcements on the NYC Consulate website (which changed daily!), so I printed out one of those earlier announcements where it said people who became citizens before June 1st only needed to pay $20 and not $175.

Thanks for the reminder about the online status page, I almost forgot that! Yes, I forgot to mention the $20 cashier's check for mailing charges.

Can someone confirm that all I need to send are copies of my canceled PPs and not the originals? Anything else I need to send in? The instructions on the NYC Consulate web site is not too clear, as usual!