OCI - New York Tracker

I spent some time tracking various file numbers. Looks like NY consulate has resumed the OCI processing and it has granted till USAN01008910 on Jun-07th. Based on your file#, you can see your position.

HTML:
===========================================================================================
File#          Ack date    Photoscan    Granted     Docprint    Docdispatch  Doc Arrived NY
===========================================================================================
USAN00839410   23-Apr-10   24-Apr-10    5-May-10    7-May-10    10-May-10    27-May-10
USAN00969510   3-May-10    5-May-10     6-May-10    10-May-10   11-May-10    27-May-10
USAN00969610   3-May-10    5-May-10     1-Jun-10    2-Jun-10    4-Jun-10     X
USAN00979610   3-May-10    6-May-10     2-Jun-10    2-Jun-10    4-Jun-10     X
USAN00989610   4-May-10    7-May-10     3-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN00999610   4-May-10    10-May-10    4-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01000010   4-May-10    10-May-10    5-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01002610   4-May-10    10-May-10    5-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01002710   4-May-10    10-May-10    7-Jun-10    X           X            X
USAN01008910   4-May-10    11-May-10    7-Jun-10    X           X            X
USAN01009010   4-May-10    10-May-10    X           X           X            X

I applied for OCI on April 7th (received by CGNY on April 8th) with Online Reg # USANI16###10 but till today (after 2 months) there is no Acknowledgement on the Online Status Tracking!!! Any suggestions? (Tried calling & e-mailing but no response!!! The Cashier's check have not yet cleared the Bank). Its really frustrating, with no repsonse from the consulate after 2 months. (The SC requireemnt has been completed as well and OCI cell has been informed about it)

- Rakesh

BITS_IIMB, when you collected your OCI, they do not make you give copy of cancelled Indian passport, is that correct? TIA.

Refund of $155 - Please send email to Ambassador / GOPIO / CG

Please see the link in renouncedindian.blogspot.com regarding mass appeal for refund of $155.

Let us all send emails to ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org,gopio-intl@sbcglobal.net, cg@indiacgny.org
with content as under :

While I welcome the decision of the Indian Govt for revising the surrender certificate fee to $20, I'd like to represent that I have not been treated justly. On May xx, 2010 , as I had to obtain VISA/OCI to visit India, I was forced to submit applications for the Surrender Certificate with the Consulate General of India along with the fees of $175 each for every member of my family . I had no option then but to adhere to the rules. Also penalties applied if we didnt act quick enough.

With the amended rule, I request you to refund a sum of $155.00 . There is no justification for charging differential amounts for the same category of people (all who obtained naturalization by June 1 , 2010). CG is trying to justify that $175 was the prevaling fee between May 4 and 28. The $175 fee is an aberration and not a fee that stood for several months and hence that argument is invalid.

A special camp was held by CGNY on May 29 and they collected $175 from thousands of people who stood for several hours in lines without food and water to comply with the law, only to know that the next day the fee is brought to the new $20 level.

The differential amount is a huge sum for me. Please do not punish people like me for trying to follow the law to the fullest , correctly and quickly all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
BITS_IIMB, when you collected your OCI, they do not make you give copy of cancelled Indian passport, is that correct? TIA.

That is correct. No copy of the cancelled Indian PP was required. He only asked if I had a PIO card to surrender.

urgent please help

What do you write on the envelope when you send US passports for OCi stamping and card?

What do you write on the envelope when you send US passports for OCi stamping and card?

Send it to OCI Cell( Express mail) and write:
Collection of OCI Card
****Nothing wrong if you also send Copy of canceled Indian passport page that has stamp. Send Online print out of OCI status+copy of Indian canceled passport and Copy of SC if you have+US passport. You can also write cover letter with your Name ,Address, Email, Phone

I had emailed the consulte to ask if the Indian PP needs to be cancelled before applying OCI . It need not. Please see email from Dr.Anju Kumar blow.

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 5:48 PM
To: Parthasarathy, Gayathri
Cc: 'CG'; 'Deputy Consul General'
Subject: RE: OCI Application & Indian passport cancellation

Yes, you may do that.

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 11:44 AM
To: 'cpv@indiacgny.org'
Subject: OCI Application & Indian passport cancellation

Dear Sir/Madam,
I obtained US citizenship on April 13, 2010 . Following the recent announcements on the Consulate General’s website I am confused about the next steps in terms of obtaining the OCI .
Could you please confirm that I can submit my OCI application first and get my Indian passport cancelled when picking up the OCI documents and U visa ?
Thank you
Gayathri

Send it to OCI Cell( Express mail) and write:
Collection of OCI Card
****Nothing wrong if you also send Copy of canceled Indian passport page that has stamp. Send Online print out of OCI status+copy of Indian canceled passport and Copy of SC if you have+US passport. You can also write cover letter with your Name ,Address, Email, Phone

Thanks Ginnu

So that would be

Collection of OCI Card

The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065.

right?

Do you know how long does it take for them to send back the cards and US passports?

Finally I got my surrender cert. and OCI.

Hi All,

I have been silent reader on this site. It has helped me lot in proceeding carefully, step by step all through out for OCI and surrender cert. mess.
I sent my application in triplicate on May 19th received by them on May 21st. I saw my OCI recd by New York on 27th may on the tracking site.
After observing so much chaos, I decided yesterday to go in person and get it done all at once.
Following are my observation/actions taken at the consulate.
1. Big long queue, go early to get in line.
2. I saw there is no dependency in getting oci and surrender cert. First I went OCI window and gave my oci tracking page info and I was asked to come and collect it after 1 pm.
3. Then for surrender cert. I was sent to inquiry table, the lady at table mentioned, you can get surrender cert. and $175 back only if you received a call from them or an email. I was to go home and wait until I hear from them.
4. I resisted with my reason that since I am already here, and I was tired by standing for hours in line and inside. She said go to interview room and ask them if they can help.
5. I went to interview room and got same feedback as no.4 that there is no way they can find my passport unless I tell them the name of the person who called. (no body called me). I resisted strongly and mentioned them I can not afford to come again and I asked them to help me and I will wait even if takes all day to search my passport. Luckily they found my passport. I paid $20 for each passport.
Also I asked the copy of naturalization cert. back as it is illegal to copy it. I got that also back.
6. I found that if your application is not processed or check/money order is not processed then they will return the old check/money order to you and take $20 in cash/or money order at the counter.
7. They are waiting on reply from the ministery how to refund the money $175 for the people they have already charged. Sso if it is cashed already then you are not getting refund until (i do not know)
8. My name was called at window 8 and got my surrender certificate and then OCI.
OCI window person did not even ask me for surrender certificate.
9. I asked the lady at window 8 for surrender cert. that where it will be useful (such as airport in india etc). She mentioned this is only for you record. Nobody will ask you about this in india at the airport.

I went inside the consulate at 10 a.m (after standing in line for couple hours outside), and came out with all done at 2 pm.
I felt pity for the people who work there. Nothing is organized properly; no customer service attitude or I think we are spoiled after living in US for years.
I hope this will help
Best of luck to all

Many thanks to ginnu and many others who contribute to this board.
I felt obligated with whatever i know and if it can help others.

Free advise - do not panic out of frustration, but peacfully fight for your right.

Hi All,

I have been silent reader on this site. It has helped me lot in proceeding carefully, step by step all through out for OCI and surrender cert. mess.
I sent my application in triplicate on May 19th received by them on May 21st. I saw my OCI recd by New York on 27th may on the tracking site.
After observing so much chaos, I decided yesterday to go in person and get it done all at once.
2. I saw there is no dependency in getting oci and surrender cert. First I went OCI window and gave my oci tracking page info and I was asked to come and collect it after 1 pm.
3. Then for surrender cert. I was sent to inquiry table, the lady at table mentioned, you can get surrender cert. and $175 back only if you received a call from them or an email. I was to go home and wait until I hear from them.
4. I resisted with my reason that since I am already here, and I was tired by standing for hours in line and inside. She said go to interview room and ask them if they can help.
5. I went to interview room and got same feedback as no.4 that there is no way they can find my passport unless I tell them the name of the person who called. (no body called me). I resisted strongly and mentioned them I can not afford to come again and I asked them to help me and I will wait even if takes all day to search my passport. Luckily they found my passport. I paid $20 for each passport.
Also I asked the copy of naturalization cert. back as it is illegal to copy it. I got that also back.
6. I found that if your application is not processed or check/money order is not processed then they will return the old check/money order to you and take $20 in cash/or money order at the counter.
7. They are waiting on reply from the ministery how to refund the money $175 for the people they have already charged. Sso if it is cashed already then you are not getting refund until (i do not know)
8. My name was called at window 8 and got my surrender certificate and then OCI.
9. I asked the lady at window 8 for surrender cert. that where it will be useful (such as airport in india etc). She mentioned this is only for you record. Nobody will ask you about this in india at the airport.

I went inside the consulate at 10 a.m (after standing in line for couple hours outside), and came out with all done at 2 pm.
I felt pity for the people who work there. Nothing is organized properly; no customer service attitude or I think we are spoiled after living in US for years.
I hope this will help
Best of luck to all

Free advise - do not panic out of frustration, but peacfully fight for your right.

Hello,

Had you sent in the $175 initially wiht your mail application? When you were looking for your passport, did they refud your $175?

Arjun

yes i did. and they did return my check. I paid them $20 in cash.

fyi.. my application was not registered or check was not encashed till that time. They were unable to refund anybody whose check/mondy order was already encashed. the reply was that they are awaiting reply back from minisetry in india on how to refund people who already charged

They dont know how to write a check ? I think when they decided to lower the fee to $20 for people who obtained naturalization before June 1, they must have thought about the category of people who paid $175. It is just that they want to gauge how far the public outcry goes. If it is not too much, then it will save them money and more importantly EFFORT in processing refunds.

Hi All,

I hope this will help
Best of luck to all

This mostly mirrors my experience that I posted, except that I did receive back a original Surrender Certificate (out of the triplicate that I had submitted) signed and stamped.

Thanks Ginnu

So that would be

Collection of OCI Card (Bold Letters Back of Express Mail Envelope)
You will MAIL the Envelope to below address
To,
The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065.

right?
----correct

Do you know how long does it take for them to send back the cards and US passports?
------- I know about 2 Persons they sent US passport for U visa and OCI collection by mail and they got back in 12-14 days From The date They got the Mail and they sent it by Express mail with Return reciept. They also sent by Express mail and send $20 Mailing charge. Both the persons had got SC by Paying $175 before Sending Mail for collection of OCI through mail.
--------

Hi,

Just checked online - our OCI status finally turned to "Granted" today!! Good to see the Consulate is progressing with granting OCIs completely independent of the SC/Passport Cancellation!

STATUS to GRANTED

Hi,

Just checked online - our OCI status finally turned to "Granted" today!! Good to see the Consulate is progressing with granting OCIs completely independent of the SC/Passport Cancellation!

What was your date of acknowledgement?

Thanks and please keep us informed as you get your OCI. My acknowledgement date is May 7th and have not seen any movement since scan on same day (May 7).

I think I got caught exactly during the most confusing phase of this whole SC/Renunciation thing. I think OCI apps will move much more quickly now that the issue seems to be mostly resolved.