OCI - New York Tracker

I think I got caught exactly during the most confusing phase of this whole SC/Renunciation thing. I think OCI apps will move much more quickly now that the issue seems to be mostly resolved.
Many OCI applications were pending due to SC mess and NYC was not GRANTING and once Granted Delhi Prints OCI in 2-3 days.
FYI one case was pending and person got SC and sent the SC copy to them May 27 or 28 and then OCI was Granted on 28 and Delhi Printed on 30th and Delhi dispatched same day 30th and NYC updated Received on June 3. It means they get OCI documents from Delhi in 3-4 days and when many OCI are received the take 10-12 days to update RECEIVED.

Many OCI applications were pending due to SC mess and NYC was not GRANTING and once Granted Delhi Prints OCI in 2-3 days.
FYI one case was pending and person got SC and sent the SC copy to them May 27 or 28 and then OCI was Granted on 28 and Delhi Printed on 30th and Delhi dispatched same day 30th and NYC updated Received on June 3. It means they get OCI documents from Delhi in 3-4 days and when many OCI are received the take 10-12 days to update RECEIVED.

Thanks for the tentative timelines, Ginnu. I will keep a keen eye on my online status.

Hi Ginnu,
Who does the 'Granted' status on OCI applications? Is it done by NY consulate or Delhi? My acknowledgement date is 7th May and photos were scanned on May 17th. But, the status is still 'Under Process'. I even got my surrender certificated and cancelled Indian passport. If I send the SC copy to OCI cell, do you think it will speed up the process? Let me know.

JK

Hi Ginnu,
Who does the 'Granted' status on OCI applications? Is it done by NY consulate or Delhi? My acknowledgement date is 7th May and photos were scanned on May 17th. But, the status is still 'Under Process'. I even got my surrender certificated and cancelled Indian passport. If I send the SC copy to OCI cell, do you think it will speed up the process? Let me know.

JK

Hi JK,

Your OCI app seems to be just a couple of days behind mine, so I'm pretty sure you will get into the "Granted" status in a couple of days, maybe even tomorrow. Keep checking.
Per my understanding the NY consulate provides the "Granted" status, and then once Granted Delhi prints and dispatches to NY. The SC no longer has any relation with the OCI and is in fact no longer required, so I don't think you will gain anything by sending it in now. Once your online status shows that your documents have reached NY, you can either go personally to CGI and get your OCI or do it via email by sending in your canceled passport with a detailed cover letter.

This is what I would do, let's see what others might suggest.

Hi Ginnu,
Who does the 'Granted' status on OCI applications? Is it done by NY consulate or Delhi?
-------------------Granted is done by NYC. only Printed is done in Delhi
My acknowledgement date is 7th May and photos were scanned on May 17th. But, the status is still 'Under Process'. I even got my surrender certificated and cancelled Indian passport. If I send the SC copy to OCI cell, do you think it will speed up the process?
--- nothing wrong if you Send the SC copy and on cover letter write your Online registration number and then they will Grant

Let me know.

JK
--------------

REFUND of $155 per person for SC before June, 1, 2010

Please see the link in renouncedindian.blogspot.com regarding mass appeal for refund of $155.

Let us all send emails to ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org,gopio-intl@sbcglobal.net, cg@indiacgny.org
with content as under :

While I welcome the decision of the Indian Govt for revising the surrender certificate fee to $20, I'd like to represent that I have not been treated justly. On May xx, 2010 , as I had to obtain VISA/OCI to visit India, I was forced to submit applications for the Surrender Certificate with the Consulate General of India along with the fees of $175 each for every member of my family . I had no option then but to adhere to the rules. Also penalties applied if we didnt act quick enough.

With the amended rule, I request you to refund a sum of $155.00 . There is no justification for charging differential amounts for the same category of people (all who obtained naturalization by June 1 , 2010). CG is trying to justify that $175 was the prevaling fee between May 4 and 28. The $175 fee is an aberration and not a fee that stood for several months and hence that argument is invalid.

A special camp was held by CGNY on May 29 and they collected $175 from thousands of people who stood for several hours in lines without food and water to comply with the law, only to know that the next day the fee is brought to the new $20 level.

The differential amount is a huge sum for me. Please do not punish people like me for trying to follow the law to the fullest , correctly and quickly all the time.

Thanks for the template and I will email as well soon. I only know through the bank that CGINY encashed my cashiers check for SC & mailing charges on 06/02/2010 but yet to receive the SC/OCI through mail. I guess the express mail takes many days when CGINY is the sender...:(

Hi JK,

Your OCI app seems to be just a couple of days behind mine, so I'm pretty sure you will get into the "Granted" status in a couple of days, maybe even tomorrow. Keep checking.
Per my understanding the NY consulate provides the "Granted" status, and then once Granted Delhi prints and dispatches to NY. The SC no longer has any relation with the OCI and is in fact no longer required, so I don't think you will gain anything by sending it in now. Once your online status shows that your documents have reached NY, you can either go personally to CGI and get your OCI or do it via email by sending in your canceled passport with a detailed cover letter.

This is what I would do, let's see what others might suggest.

Hi cadavi,
Thanks for your response. My OCI application got 'Granted' status today (9th June). How soon I can see the printed status? Did your application get into 'Printed' status? Let me know.

Hi Ginnu,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have absolutely no idea how the NY consulate processing OCI applications. One of my friend who applied for OCI two weeks after me, got an acknowledgement date just a day before me and his application went into 'Granted' status yesterday (8th June). Go figure how the system is working.

regards,
JK

Hi cadavi,
Thanks for your response. My OCI application got 'Granted' status today (9th June). How soon I can see the printed status? Did your application get into 'Printed' status? Let me know.

Hi Ginnu,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have absolutely no idea how the NY consulate processing OCI applications. One of my friend who applied for OCI two weeks after me, got an acknowledgement date just a day before me and his application went into 'Granted' status yesterday (8th June). Go figure how the system is working.

regards,
JK

They pile up files one above another. One fine day they decide to process them, and start picking from the top.

So they took my money and sent me the SC...

Actually they sent me one of the three notarized forms that I sent them (with no SC just renunciation declration).

Guess what ... both (one for me and one for my wife) of them are stamped by the consulate, but only one of them is signed. The stupid morons cannot get their act straight....

Actually they sent me one of the three notarized forms that I sent them (with no SC just renunciation declration).

Guess what ... both (one for me and one for my wife) of them are stamped by the consulate, but only one of them is signed. The stupid morons cannot get their act straight....

I got SC yesterday for me and my wife one with date stamped one without. I lost $155x2.

Mailed OCI application today.

Hi cadavi,
Thanks for your response. My OCI application got 'Granted' status today (9th June). How soon I can see the printed status?
--------------In one or 2 days from Delhi and they will also send the OCI to NYC and reaches NYC third or forth day from dispatch from Delhi but they take time to update the status. Your OCI may be ready to pick up in 12-14 days. FYI Delhi does not have many Pending OCI prom NYC and Delhi is very fast.
Did your application get into 'Printed' status? Let me know.

Hi Ginnu,
----------------------------Great Indian circus is going on at Indian consulate NY and Performers are Prabu Dayal, Pramodh Kumar Bajaj, Other main Dancers are Anju Kumar and Pushpa Kumar and many other artists from India Consulate NYC

regards,
JK

------------------

----------------------------Great Indian circus is going on at Indian consulate NY and Performers are Prabu Dayal, Pramodh Kumar Bajaj, Other main Dancers are Anju Kumar and Pushpa Kumar and many other artists from India Consulate NYC
---

I am willing to bet that every one of these jokers got their jobs by greasing someone's palms or by having family connections to higher ups. None of them have any competency or intelligence whatsoever.

I am willing to bet that every one of these jokers got their jobs by greasing someone's palms or by having family connections to higher ups.
Let any Indian Citizen file RTI with government of India and
None of them have any competency or intelligence whatsoever.
-------

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was faaast! My OCI app was Granted on June 8th, and the doc was printed on June 10th!! I'm expecting my docs to be mailed to NY early next week at the latest. Fingers crossed - just want to get our OCIs, cut my losses, and walk away from this mess once and for all.

OCI pickup

Just FYI
I sent my USpassport for OCI stamping on June 3; received June 5

Waiting for OCI booklet and passport to be returned by mail. Will email them after next week.

I had sent copy of $175 SC and cancelled page of Indian passport.

Arjun

Well that was faaast! My OCI app was Granted on June 8th, and the doc was printed on June 10th!! I'm expecting my docs to be mailed to NY early next week at the latest. Fingers crossed - just want to get our OCIs, cut my losses, and walk away from this mess once and for all.

Looks like they are moving fast now. My OCI app was Granted on June 9th and Printed on June 10th. I hope they will dispatch them tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JK

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian Passport Cancelation - sent May18

Are there any other folks out there who sent thier Indian passports for cancellation to CGNY around May 18-20 timeframe. I have not heard back from him, either on cancellation front or if the fees need to be swapped as has been the case with others. No one responds to emails. Had they processed it, I would have had it by now. Or they would call me to swap the fees. Total silence makes me think if they have lost the mail altogether.

Indian Passport Cancelation - sent May18

Are there any other folks out there who sent thier Indian passports for cancellation to CGNY around May 18-20 timeframe. I have not heard back from him, either on cancellation front or if the fees need to be swapped as has been the case with others. No one responds to emails. Had they processed it, I would have had it by now. Or they would call me to swap the fees. Total silence makes me think if they have lost the mail altogether.

Hi Dharma,
I sent my passport for cancellation on May 20th and received it back on June 2nd along with surrender certificate. One of my friend who sent 3 days after me got an email from consulate about the revised fees, they told him that his fees need to be swapped. Did you send your passport by express mail? Do you have any tracking number? Just wait for one more week and then go there personally if you don't get it bak. They won't respond to your emails or phone calls.

JK