OCI - New York Tracker

This is totally ridiculous, unprofessional in saying that they will not refund people who have already been issued SC. Aren't these guys educated? Don't they ask questions when someone comes up with some fancy idea! Don't they take time to study the policy and figure out steps to implement the policy instead of keep changing the rules on a daily basis! Not only did they inconvenience us, they also put their staff in total confusion because of lack of clarity.

In my case, though I had a Cancelled passport, Anju said that I had to pay $175 to get SC to process my OCI. In the mean time, Pushpa Kumar sent the OCI package back, and had the audocity to ask for $5 for returning our applicaitons!! Now today, I do not see SC as one of the requirements for OCI. I lost 1 month in this chaos. I have sent the OCI package today with the SC once again spending another $17 by express mail. I got this feeling that they are going to come back with some other excuse and return my package, and asking me to send another $5 for the return mail costs!! And I will be spending another $17 in express mail. This is becoming like a game now!!!

By the way, the SC document does not say Surrender Certiifcate. It says acknowledgement for renunication or something like that!!!! Once again, the confusion.

Don't they just think before doing something that has a deep impact on the community?
They must Return back $155 they are again trying to lie that they are asking Delhi. Why did not you ask what department or person in Delhi they are going to ask? Send them Fax or email that many will file Complaint with BBB and US department of state against all the officials of Indian consulate NYC. They can’t cheat US citizens in US and are going to face the Problems. Ask them if they pay honestly or are going to face the Court cases for cheating. Mr Bajaj has lied many times before public in Consulate and they never gave the Copy of Notification or GR from Government of India that one should pay $175 and we still don’t know who signed that document from Delhi. Let them disclose it or they have to disclose it in the US court. Now they say they want 175 from those who get US citizenship after June 1, 2010 where is that document signed by Indian government officials? Did the Indian Government can cheat US citizen in US? They are going to face Problems and file RTI with GOV to find the documents for the mess up created by Mr Bajaj as he shouted at others if they called him to seek info. He is from Indian Foreign Services and not from Indian Fraud services. Because of these people India is called “Third world country”. Fight with them so they don’t try to cheat.

Anyone else applied for SC by mail on or after 19th of May received any communication or SC by mail?

I sent in my SC application by mail on May 23rd, no communication/phone call yet.

On another note, my OCI application has been pending on the "Scanned" status and "UnderProcess" from May 13th. I assume no action has been taken on it because of this whole SC fiasco. Now that it seems to be resolved, can I expect that my OCI application will start moving forward now towards being Granted? I don't think there is a need for them to keep my OCI application pending any more, correct? Since there is no need to get the SC in order to get OCI for folks who became US citizens before June 1st, the OCI application should progress in parallel to my canceling our passports, right?

I sent in my SC application by mail on May 23rd, no communication/phone call yet.

On another note, my OCI application has been pending on the "Scanned" status and "UnderProcess" from May 13th. I assume no action has been taken on it because of this whole SC fiasco. Now that it seems to be resolved, can I expect that my OCI application will start moving forward now towards being Granted? I don't think there is a need for them to keep my OCI application pending any more, correct? Since there is no need to get the SC in order to get OCI for folks who became US citizens before June 1st, the OCI application should progress in parallel to my canceling our passports, right?

As of 9:50 am on 6/3/2010 that seems to be the case, yes.

I am in the same boat. OCI application received by NY consulate on 04/26. It was not moving due to the SC debacle. It was acknowledged for the whole family on 05/20, photo scanned 05/28. Still says under process. I saw that a lot of applications file after me, has already moved and in some case the papers have been dispatched from India. Don't understand how. It is possible they are from different jurisdiction. NY has too many applications. Now for the SC saga. I had sent my forms and were received at NY on 05/17. I had sent a check of $870 for two people ($175*2 + $250*2 penalty) +$20. So far no communication. I really hope they have not processed my application considering what unfolded in the last two days. Let's see if I get that email asking to resubmit with the new fees. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will keep you posted.

I have noticed that the message pertaining to refund of runciation fee has been removed from cgny website. It no longer says that the matter of refund has been sent to GOI and upon receiving instructions it will be posted on the website, meanwhile no emails etc will be entertained. I get a feeling that they may be finally waking up and doing what needs to be done. Thoughts?

Experience at CGINY

Hi Folks,

I was at CGINY yesterday to pick up my SC; a moot fact now it seems for OCI. iN ANYCASE, IT WAS HORRIBLE. The lady was shouting names at the counter for people who were still waiting outside. Very inefficiet way of handing those out. I had to wait till 6.00 till I could convince her to take my slip and look fo rmy passport since I had submitted it on 5/21; there was no way she would have called my name from 100s of SCs lying on the table.

As usual I have written to Anju Kumar to change the process of handing out SCs. I would reccomend mailing as it was crazy. I am mailing my US passport for the OCI.

I am not sure what to do with the SC now:)

ARJUN

Last edited by a moderator:

It seems CGINY started Granting the OCIs again, the ones stuck at Underprocess ever since the SC guidelines were announced on 5/7. Online status of my application got updated today, it was Underprocess from 5/7, got updated to Granted today.

It seems CGINY started Granting the OCIs again, the ones stuck at Underprocess ever since the SC guidelines were announced on 5/7. Online status of my application got updated today, it was Underprocess from 5/7, got updated to Granted today.

Good to know, thanks Jan 2002!

Experience at CGINY

Hi Folks,

I was at CGINY yesterday to pick up my SC; a moot fact now it seems for OCI. iN ANYCASE, IT WAS HORRIBLE. The lady was shouting names at the counter for people who were still waiting outside. Very inefficiet way of handing those out. I had to wait till 6.00 till I could convince her to take my slip and look fo rmy passport since I had submitted it on 5/21; there was no way she would have called my name from 100s of SCs lying on the table.

As usual I have written to Anju Kumar to change the process of handing out SCs. I would reccomend mailing as it was crazy. I am mailing my US passport for the OCI.

I am not sure what to do with the SC now:)

ARJUN

Your yesterday experience of CGINY becomes very useful to understand the situations.

We need to wait for some more time to clear all kind of fiasco.

Reference to email received from CGINY, they said to resubmit the OCI application which was return on last week.

[ Due to a recent requirement of surrender certificate, some OCI applications were returned to the applicants with a request to furnish the surrender certificate with the application. This requirement has now been withdrawn. If your application was returned, you may wish to resubmit your application. Before sending the application, kindly ensure that it is complete in all respects (details may be seen on our website: www.indiacgny.org) and the application and supporting documents are in duplicate. ]

I am totally confusing now. Still I have not received SC (15th May submitted)
Thanks

Thanks for the update. My case is similar to yours but so far OCI is not even Acknowledged!! (Status = "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged")

I applied for OCI on April 7th, received by them on 8th and after than no updates. (My SC has been cleared and they even informed OCI section about it, but no update on OCI)
Any suggestions on what to do? (Written plenty mails to Bajaj & Pushpa Kumar but no response. They don't pick up the phone any time)

- Rakesh

Simpler rules - just need "Cancelled" stamp?

Well, the latest pages at CGI NY no longer have the renunciation details (just new Fee page and form), and the OCI FAQ no longer threatens surrender cert requirements.

More importantly, the OCI page indiacgny.org_php_showContent.php?linkid=174 now simply mentions "Two copies of cancelled Indian Passport". (Change _ to /)
In the past they had said cancelled stamp is not enough and have to file renunciation certificate. They they said cancelled is ok if it is endorsed - which some consulates did - said "cancelled on obtaining other citizenship" or some such thing. All of this was crazy - I had submitted renunciation certificate long time ago to NYC (years ago)and they had just stamped "Cancelled", and last week's rules said that was not enough.

Now that some sanity has returned, I'm hoping I can just resubmit my returned OCI application, which already shows the Indian Passport as cancelled.
One can hope...!

Try this.
on the tracking page, click the forgotten regd number button. Enter your passport number and DOB. You may see your ack #.

Thanks for the update. My case is similar to yours but so far OCI is not even Acknowledged!! (Status = "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged")

I applied for OCI on April 7th, received by them on 8th and after than no updates. (My SC has been cleared and they even informed OCI section about it, but no update on OCI)
Any suggestions on what to do? (Written plenty mails to Bajaj & Pushpa Kumar but no response. They don't pick up the phone any time)

- Rakesh

I have noticed that the message pertaining to refund of runciation fee has been removed from cgny website. It no longer says that the matter of refund has been sent to GOI and upon receiving instructions it will be posted on the website, meanwhile no emails etc will be entertained. I get a feeling that they may be finally waking up and doing what needs to be done. Thoughts?

Or, did they decide that they will not give refund ? If anyone gets a positive response, please post.

Response for Dr. Anju Kumar to my email on refund of excess Renunciation Fees

I had emailed Dr Anju Kumar yesterday and here is her response. I will also separately post the subsequent email I received from CGI-NY:

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:38 PM
To:
Cc: 'CG'; 'Deputy Consul General'
Subject: RE: Processing of Application for Surrender Certificate and refund of $ 620.00

You are right. Your application has not yet been processed. So we will not use the check sent by you. You will soon hear from one Consulate official regarding next step.
Dr. Anju Kumar

Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:31 PM
To: cpv@indiacgny.org
Cc: eam@mea.gov.in; ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org; dcmoff@indiagov.org
Subject: Processing of Application for Surrender Certificate and refund of $ 620.00

Dear Dr. Kumar:

Request your help and response to my situation:

1. I and my family became Naturalized US citizens on February 3, 2010 and obtained US Passports on March 12. 2010.
2. I had mailed application for myself and my family for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and obtaining Surrender Certificate to Consulate General of India. New York on May 24, 2010, which was delivered at the Consulate on May 25, 2010. This was confirmed by US Postal Service.
3. As required at that point, I enclosed a Certified Check for $ 720.00 payable to Consulate General of India, New York as application fees of $ 175 for each member of my family and mailing charges ($175*4 + 20).
4. Now that the fees have been reduced from $ 175 to $ 20 for each application, it means I am out of pocket for $ 155.00 for each application and therefore $ 620.00 for the family.
5. I checked with my bank and they confirmed that the Consulate had not yet en-cashed the certified check for $ 720
6. This means that my request for Surrender Certificate has not been processed.

Since my application has not yet been processed by the Consulate, please clarify what would be the next steps for me to obtain Surrender Certificate/Cancelation of Indian passport for me and my family and get the refund of the excess $ 620.00 that I have already paid. A sum of $ 620.00 is a substantial amount of money to have over paid.

Thanking you for your time and appreciate a prompt response.

Yours sincerely

Email from CGI-NY on refund of excess fees

Here is the email I received from CGI-NY on getting back the excess fees and process to follow:

Date: June 3, 2010 12:08:09 PM EDT

To:
Subject: Renunciation
XX

Dear Applicant,
This is to inform you that the Government of India has revised its guidelines regarding fee for Renouncing Indian Citizenship and obtaining Surrender Certificate for applicants who acquired foreign nationality before June 1, 2010.

The fee applicable in such cases is only $20. Your Indian passport will be cancelled (by putting a stamp which says ‘cancelled as holder acquired US citizenship’). No Surrender Certificate is required to be issued for those who acquired foreign nationality before June 1, 2010.

In view of the revised guidelines, we require you to send/bring the revised fee ($20 per applicant +$20 total mailing charges for the entire family in case you wish to receive your passport back by mail) urgently so that your Indian passports (along with your un-utilized money order) could be returned to you after cancellation.
You may wish to submit the revised fee in person at the Consulate (between 9.00 am-12.15 pm on a business day) and collect your cancelled passport the same day at 4.30 pm. You also have the option of sending the revised fee as money order along with a covering letter and additional $20 as mailing charges.

In both cases i.e. submitting at the counter or sending the revised fee by mail, you should give my name (RAVINDER KUMAR) and the number given on top of this letter as reference (also on the envelope in case of mailing) so that we may easily correlate your previous application with the revised fee submitted by you.

Thank you,
RAVINDER KUMAR
Consulate General of India

True sign of Indian Babu type processing.

Now that ruling has been changed, why can't they just issue the refunds along with the OCI and be done with it, rather than asking us to mail another Certified check for the exact amount according to the new fee structure?

Waste of time/money/efforts ... and nobody is their who will think straight and try to simplify the process, rather they love to complicate everything.

Underprocess since 5/7

I am in the same situation. My status is still underprocess since 5/7. Hopefully it will change like yours soon. Today I received my renunciation certificate with cancellation of previously cancelled passport. No other letter and certainly no mention of $175+20 which I had sent with the application. The certificate was issued on May 26th but post marked June 1st.