OCI - New York Tracker

LATEST NEWS FROM New York Consulate web site :

Fees for Obtaining Surrender / Renunciation Certificate Waived

In view of a large number of representations received from Persons of Indian Origin, it has been decided that the fees for obtaining Renunciation/Surrender Certificate from applicants who have acquired US citizenships before June 1, 2010 will be waived. However, a miscellaneous service fee of US$ 20/- will be charged for surrender of passport for cancellation. No penalties will be charged.

Already decided cases will, however, not be reopened.
---What does the above statement mean? They want to say that if one sent $175 and the got it they will not pay back. those who send $175 by mail they may still cash the check and may pot the stamp on SC of May date.

Indian passport holders who acquire US/foreign citizenships on or after June 1, 2010 will, however, be required to pay the fees of US$ 175/- for obtaining Renunciation/Surrender certificate.

Why CGI-NY returned OCI form last week. Already lost one month time + $175.00 + another one month wait for OCI acknowledgement.

My Dear Ginnu, we need further step to take action for New york consulte.

Any sugession Please...........
One should check with BBB or other US government agencies like DOS. If no rule to collect $175 then why they collected and why they can cash the checks already in mail or in envelops with them? Call your bank and stop the payment if not cashed till date. Take the opinion from other legal experts if the Consulates of different countries in US may do that in US. Other counties consulate can increase the visa Fees or other consulate services fees but cannot cheat US citizens with bad business practice. If they are honest then they must return $155 to those who paid $175 to get SC that was not required and they should also post the Official GR/ Notification from Government of India for the past rule and new rule. Mr Bajaj should be transferred out of US as he lied many times before public and he informed few weeks back that those who got OCI approved and reached NYC before May 4 or 14 don’t have to pay $ 175 (read the Post in this thread from Arjun Dutta). All should join and try to get $155 back who paid to them.

Also contact National Federation of Indian Americans (NFIA),Federation of Indian Americans (FAI)and GOPIO and request should be made that Indian Consulate Must return the fee of $155 to those who have Paid the fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with csekar. Why did the OCI cell return the applications?

They have NOT updated the OCI requirements page yet ...still says they need "Renunciation Certificate"

take the printout and you may need to file it with complaint in future.

I agree with Ginnu...we all should fight to get 155/- back.
I paid 175/- for each memeber of my family as there was no other option left...we could not wait...and so did all other people.
Imagine..how many people over-paid. Just on last Sat (the campt on May 29th at CGNY), there were atleast 500 people and each one carrying on an average 3 passports. So, 1500 * 155 = 232500 USD just in one day by people visiting CGNY in person.

Calcualte how much free money they got by all people applying thorugh mail, to all Consultas in the world!!! (Its mind boggling cheating!!!)

We all should fight!!!

- Rakesh

Now they have changed the OCI arrival card requirement : No need for the SC ..

OCI - ARRIVAL DETAILS OF CARD

The applicant will not receive any letter regarding the OCI status. He should check the OCI status online. There is no need of confirming by phone or by e-mail. After the status shows that the card has reached the Consulate, he/she should mail the US (foreign) passport(s) to the OCI Cell, Consulate General of India, New York so that the Consulate can issue the OCI card and OCI visa sticker.
The Applicant should not forget to write their file numbers in a cover letter along with the passport/s (this file no. is found when applicant checks status online with the assigned ref. no.).
To find out applicant's "file no.", please enter "reference no." here: http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
If the applicant is a PIO card holder, he/she is also required to surrender the same to Consulate.
The applicant has to pay the postage charge of $20 through a postal money order/cashier’s check favoring "Consulate General of India New York”. This money is not refundable. No personal check is acceptable.

Question for those resubmitting

All of you who need to "resubmit" the returned applications, can you please help?

On the checklist page accompanying Ms. Pushpa Kumar's letter, there is a $5 money order charge for "returning the applications". Are we supposed to include this EXTRA charge, despite the fiasco which is completely the Consulate's and Ms. Kumar's creation?

Ginnu, what should we do, please help.

Call your bank and stop the payment if not cashed till date.

The MO that we got are like cashier's check. I do not think it can be stopped, right? The money is already withdrawn from my account when I purchased the MO. If it's possible to stop it, I am game for it.

http://www.bankersonline.com/operations/gurus_op03g.html

OTOH, I inquired about the refund at NYC consulate via email to cg@indiacgny.com, and this is what I received (I hope they keep their word):

"Since you have already sent the applications with the fees, you will be contacted by our office. The Renunciation fees will not be charged. However a charge of 20 dollars per passport will be levied to cancel the passports( if they are not already cancelled)."

All of you who need to "resubmit" the returned applications, can you please help?

On the checklist page accompanying Ms. Pushpa Kumar's letter, there is a $5 money order charge for "returning the applications". Are we supposed to include this EXTRA charge, despite the fiasco which is completely the Consulate's and Ms. Kumar's creation?

Ginnu, what should we do, please help.
Dear ,I have not Seen the checklist that Mrs. Kumar sent you.You can omit your name and can post here so that others can see what she asked. I am 100% sureit is creation of Mr Bajaj and Mrs Puspa Kumar as they handle OCI.

The MO that we got are like cashier's check. I do not think it can be stopped, right? The money is already withdrawn from my account when I purchased the MO. If it's possible to stop it, I am game for it.
------ Call your Bank and they will let you know. I checked with Wachovia and lady was not sure and then she transfred to other person and he said that if one has Check number then they can stop it if one informs them he also said that if that is stolen then also one can stop the payment but they need the number and he said that when Wachovia gives Check it has copy to keep and Copy has the same number and info on it.

http://www.bankersonline.com/operations/gurus_op03g.html

OTOH, I inquired about the refund at NYC consulate via email to cg@indiacgny.com, and this is what I received (I hope they keep their word):

"Since you have already sent the applications with the fees, you will be contacted by our office. The Renunciation fees will not be charged. However a charge of 20 dollars per passport will be levied to cancel the passports( if they are not already cancelled)."
--------------------*****Please keep that Email as we may need the Copy of Email and it is IMP.
---------------

Some of the statements seems contradictory. "Those who currently hold an Overseas Citizen of India card or a Person of Indian Origin card are not required to undertake these procedures" and "Some of the Indian passports were cancelled when people took up the US citizenship, but it is not enough and a surrender certificate is necessary, Dayal said.". Which one is true?

I agree with Ginnu...we all should fight to get 155/- back.
I paid 175/- for each memeber of my family as there was no other option left...we could not wait...and so did all other people.
Imagine..how many people over-paid. Just on last Sat (the campt on May 29th at CGNY), there were atleast 500 people and each one carrying on an average 3 passports. So, 1500 * 155 = 232500 USD just in one day by people visiting CGNY in person.

Calcualte how much free money they got by all people applying thorugh mail, to all Consultas in the world!!! (Its mind boggling cheating!!!)

We all should fight!!!

- Rakesh

No cheating should be allowed. If any company in US does mistake they refund the money and no questions are asked. If your credit card has mistake then they refund the money. If Doctor Office or any Lab does mistake on bill they correct it and return the money and same is with any store. Indian consulate is Operating in USA or providing service in USA and according to US law if they cheat US citizens by fraud, by posting wrong info on net for intent to cheat they are subject to US law and US law is to protect US citizens . US law does not discriminate if you were born to Indian Parents or British Parents. Don’t allow anybody to cheat you and file complaints against Indian consulate NYC and also the Indian Consulate officials should be warned by sending emails/fax that we are going to Court if they don’t refund $155 from the $175 collected per person.

Some of the statements seems contradictory. "Those who currently hold an Overseas Citizen of India card or a Person of Indian Origin card are not required to undertake these procedures" and "Some of the Indian passports were cancelled when people took up the US citizenship, but it is not enough and a surrender certificate is necessary, Dayal said.". Which one is true?
where did you read the above statements? when did Dayal said? (FYI I have not checked NYC site for 1 hour )

Don't you think, then they will revert this new rule and charge everybody money and possible raise the fees for complaining.

Ginnu -- letter and checklist

Ginnu,

The letter from Ms. Pushpa Kumar and the check list (mentioning extra $5) are attached.

thanks for all your help.

Hi, I know this isn't the visa forum, but I could not find anyplace else to post this.

They tell you that same day visa pickup will only be for people with appointments from 9am - 11am. I was just able to get the 11am one and i cannot afford to leave work and come again to pick up the passport with visa. Does anyone know if a person giving their SC packet ( notorized form+$20) at 11am (when i have appt) will be able to get visa the same day pickup?

Now they have changed the OCI arrival card requirement : No need for the SC ..

The applicant will not receive any letter regarding the OCI status. He should check the OCI status online. There is no need of confirming by phone or by e-mail. After the status shows that the card has reached the Consulate, he/she should mail the US (foreign) passport(s) to the OCI Cell, Consulate General of India, New York so that the Consulate can issue the OCI card and OCI visa sticker.
-------------------What if the Indian passport is not cancelled? dont they need the Copy of Indian passport or Indian passport with US passport to collect OCI?
The Applicant should not forget to write their file numbers in a cover letter along with the passport/s (this file no. is found when applicant checks status online with the assigned ref. no.).
To find out applicant's "file no.", please enter "reference no." here: http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
If the applicant is a PIO card holder, he/she is also required to surrender the same to Consulate.
----Idiots, don’t they know that if one has applied for OCI then what is the use of PIO Card if one gets OCI Card? They should have posted that if Person was born in US and never had Indian passport or Indian citizenship then please sent your PIO Card and US passport at the time of OCI collection.( kids born in US and having US passport who got PIO and applied OCI just need to send PIO card and US passport).

The applicant has to pay the postage charge of $20 through a postal money order/cashier’s check favoring "Consulate General of India New York”. This money is not refundable.
---We know that. Just refund the $155 to those who sent you $175. As you dont refund Postage charge money we also dont allow you to keep $155 those who paid $175 to you. No personal check is acceptable.

Did you notice the date on page?:(

OCI ANNOUCMENT –July 14, 2009

• The applicant will not receive any letter regarding the OCI status. He should check the OCI status online. There is no need of confirming by phone or by e-mail. After the status shows that the card has reached the Consulate, he/she should mail the US (foreign) passport(s) to the OCI Cell, Consulate General of India, New York so that the Consulate can issue the OCI card and OCI visa sticker.
• The Applicant should not forget to write their file numbers in a cover letter along with the passport/s (this file no. is found when applicant checks status online with the assigned ref. no.).
• To find out applicant's "file no.", please enter "reference no." here: http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
• If the applicant is a PIO card holder, he/she is also required to surrender the same to Consulate.
• The applicant has to pay the postage charge of $20 through a postal money order/cashier’s check favoring "Consulate General of India New York”. This money is not refundable. No personal check is accepta

Hi Ginnu,

What kind of collective legal action (a class action law suit) can be initiated? Think of it, the amount in question runs into millions when you considered people applying by mail throughout the world in last 3 weeks.
Do you have any details?

Thanks

- Rakesh

Ginnu,

The letter from Ms. Pushpa Kumar and the check list (mentioning extra $5) are attached.

thanks for all your help.

you should wait 2-3 days as they may update more info. Let them recover from the Shock of not getting $175 per person

Hi Ginnu,

What kind of collective legal action (a class action law suit) can be initiated? Think of it, the amount in question runs into millions when you considered people applying by mail throughout the world in last 3 weeks.
Do you have any details?

Thanks

- Rakesh

We have to think about it. I am not a law person. Let others also find the legal options. Many who post in this thread may have contacts with lawyers/legal experts and all should try to find out the options from various sources. If one has suggestions keep on posting and also write to the Editors of the advertising papers that we find at local Indian grocery stores as they need some ”Masala”to print. Also keep on writing to Editors of all the news papers published in India and also contact the India original associations (I posted above in other post) in USA.