01/19/2010: Mailed January 19th
01/21/2010: received by consulate
02/18/2010: Acknowledged
02/23/2010: Photo/Signature Scanned
03/03/2010: Documents Printed
03/05/2010: Documents Dispatched
??/??/2010: Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI

Hi,

Did you do regualr processing for US passport?
A

I mailed my paper work back last Tue and no updates. I called the consulate today - the vice consul picked up (MRs. Kumar) She said they used to send emails for missing docs. But it is difficult for them to match the documents arriving separately from the original application - hence they are sending back the whole application - for their convenience. I do not know how the Houston consulate manages to complete the entire process within a month- while these crazies take that much time to open a packet!

I mailed my paper work back last Tue and no updates. I called the consulate today - the vice consul picked up (MRs. Kumar) She said they used to send emails for missing docs. But it is difficult for them to match the documents arriving separately from the original application - hence they are sending back the whole application - for their convenience.

I do not know how the Houston consulate manages to complete the entire process within a month- while these crazies take that much time to open a packet!
-----It is good that you talked to Mrs Kumar. You should have asked the above from her that why the NYC is slow and Houston consulate and SF are fast or when you expect your file to be sent to Delhi or when you should expect your OCI. Nothing wrong if you call again.Better to be after them so they take action.
Many free newspapers we find before Indian grocery store and one should write to them the difficulties faced by those who send OCI to Indian consulate new York and they take 1 month just to open the packet. These English papers will publish the story and I am sure that these free papers reach consulate on Friday/Saturday and someone will read the news about them. I am going to write to all the Papers and others who have filed OCI with NYC should also send email to editor of these Indian newspapers. If the news papers get 4-5 emails they will publish. Take action and write to them.

good Luck!!!

OCI Card and Sticker issuance mail

For OCI card and sticker stamping, have people been sending the US passports and PIO card to the same OCI cell address in the Indian Consulate? Also what do we need mark the envelope.

I am trying to prevent a situation that the stamping packet gets looked at along with other OCI appplication after a month of mail receipt.

Appreciate any info on this.

You are going to send Online Printout status of OCI+ US passport +Indian passport. Send to same address. Once they open the Envelope they will know. You can write out side the envelope “for Return of OCI documents” I don’t know if the will read that. At present something is wrong with that particular Consulate regarding OCI. If staying near to Consulate better go and collect the documents personally.

Post your time of sending OCI documents for readers of Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got CheckList yesterday

I got a checklist and the whole packet back and I was little shocked to see the missing document request

Missing :- You daughter's DOB proof - weird is she has PIO copy which has a date of birth

funny my neighbor also got his packet back but not for missing DOB proof rather for poor address proof quality - which looks very clear as he did a color copy- this time he is planning to do a black and white and see if that makes any difference
- just for somebody to consider

I got a checklist and the whole packet back and I was little shocked to see the missing document request

Missing :- You daughter's DOB proof - weird is she has PIO copy which has a date of birth

funny my neighbor also got his packet back but not for missing DOB proof rather for poor address proof quality - which looks very clear as he did a color copy- this time he is planning to do a black and white and see if that makes any difference

What is your timeline? When did u send it in?

-------if your daughter has PIO card they need Copy of Birth certificate.

**They are just sending files back and not sending files to Delhi.
when did you sent OCI application? did they take about 1 month to open the packet and find that Birth certificate of your daughter is missing??

**They are just sending files back and not sending files to Delhi.
when did you sent OCI application? did they take about 1 month to open the packet and find that Birth certificate of your daughter is missing??

I got the response in 3 weeks and my friend was not so lucky as he got the response after 5 weeks

02-18-2010 ==> My orginal data
Rejected ==> on 03/08/2010 (got the whole application)
Re-submit reached their on 03/11/2010

I got the response in 3 weeks and my friend was not so lucky as he got the response after 5 weeks

02-18-2010 ==> My orginal data
Rejected ==> on 03/08/2010 (got the whole application)
Re-submit reached their on 03/11/2010
Now you have resubmitted with all the required documents and OCI application reached NYC on March 11. Don’t know when they will open the packet and when they will send to Delhi. Talk to them after 5-8 days from the date file reached NYC.

Here is my OCI timeline

02/22/2010: Mailed
02/23/2010: received by consulate
03/09/2010: Acknowledged
03/11/2010: Photo/Signature Scanned
03/xx/2010: Documents Printed
03/xx/2010: Documents Dispatched

Here is my OCI timeline

02/22/2010: Mailed
02/23/2010: received by consulate
03/09/2010: Acknowledged
03/11/2010: Photo/Signature Scanned
03/xx/2010: Documents Printed
03/xx/2010: Documents Dispatched
Did you send two proofs of US residency when you sent your OCI application on 02/22/2010?

Other poster in Huston consulate have posted that documents are scanned by Consulates in US. Does it mean the Indian consulate NYC machines are not working or shortage of staff?

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?216263-OCI-Houston-Tracker/page37

Posted by Orleans
The consulate in US does the scanning (uploads into the system) and grants it (after consultation with the Ministry of Home Affairs - done using online database checking). People in Delhi just print it and mail it back to the consulate in the US.

posted by rpranesh:

I definitely believe that scanning is done in consulate in US. They scanned my photo within 36 hours of they getting my application form. I think it is not possible to scan the photos in Delhi in that time frame.

certificate of naturalization for OCI

I was born in Goa India under portuguese jurisdiction until 1961, and left India with a portuguese passport in 1955. Currently I am a naturalized US citizen and hold a valid US passport. I need to obtain a certificate of naturalization for OCI application as I never had an indian passport in the past.
Would like to know : 1. How and where (specify) can I obtain the certificate of naturalization?
2. Is there any lawfirm or agency who takes care of this ?
Thank you.

Kids OCI reissue/Renewal using OCI Miscellaneous services in NY consulate.

Can someone post their recent experience for kids OCI reissue/Renewal using OCI Miscellaneous services in NY consulate?

1. What did you enclose or send in with your application? Do they need 2 copies of the application and enclosures for renewal as well?
2. What is the current renewal/reissue fee ( $25?? )?
3. How many photos are needed including whats pasted on the application? Do we have to send extra photos other than whats pasted on the application? If so how many?
4. Do we have to send proof of residency in USA for kids by attaching parents proof of residency?
5. What is the current timeline for OCI reissue/renewal?

Any help or answers are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born in Goa India under portuguese jurisdiction until 1961, and left India with a portuguese passport in 1955. Currently I am a naturalized US citizen and hold a valid US passport. I need to obtain a certificate of naturalization for OCI application as I never had an indian passport in the past.
Would like to know : 1. How and where (specify) can I obtain the certificate of naturalization?
----------You can get certificate from collector office on Goa .
2. Is there any lawfirm or agency who takes care of this ?
Thank you.
http://northgoa.gov.in/charter.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_nationality_law

Special rules exist for Indian citizens with a connection to Goa, Daman and Diu. Rule 3A of Schedule III of the Citizenship Rules, 1956 states that "Where a person, who has become an Indian Citizen by virtue of the Goa, Daman and Diu (Citizenship) Order, 1962, or the Dadra and Nagar Haveli (Citizenship) Order 1962, issued under section 7 of the Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955) holds a passport issued by the Government of any other country, the fact that he has not surrendered the said passport on or before the 19 January 1963 shall be conclusive proof of his having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of that country before that date.

Info from Indian consulate NYC:
The applicant must satisfy the following criteria in order to be eligible to apply for OCI Status:

If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was a citizen of India after January 26, 1950.

If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents belonged to a former territory (Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Sikkim and Pondicherry) that became part of India after August 15, 1947.
If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India on January 26, 1950.