OCI - New York Tracker

Got the PPs

received the PPs back with OCI visa and OCI Registration booklet/certficate back today.

Good luck to other applicants. My OCI journey is over for now. :)

Documents received at CGI NY on 11/30/2009

sent the passports for processing to CGI NY

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI documents not received in NY/CGI even after 11 days

Hi,
I have a question about OCI documents receipt in NY. The website shows that my OCI documents have been sent from Delhi on 26th Nov, 2009. However per website, it still hasn't been received in NY. Is anybody else on the same boat and have experienced this issue. Website mentions to contact consulate after 10 days of document dispatch - should i just go in to the consulate and take chances.

Per posts, I am already seeing some folks receiving docs in NY with Delhi posting dates after 26th Nov.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

y

yeah you may try going there in person if you live closeby or try calling them. I think your docs should be there by now. good luck.

Hi,
I have applied for OCI for my wife & daughter and still there is NO acknowledgment from NY IC folks.

Docs were mailed on 10th November and it reached to NY office on 12th November. I had taken a signature confirmation service. So it is almost a month now and still there is no any response to this. ALL required docs were sent as per the OCI guidelines.

Last week I have sent an e-mail to OCI department and they haven't replied back yet. And yesterday again I e-mailed but still there is no answer. I have tried calling them as well from 2 to 4 as the website says but they don't pick up the phone at all. Trying from last 10 days.

Can someone please confirm or share their story how long usually they take to ack. the application and what is the maximum timeline of this?

I am confused as to how to reach them

EDIT FOR FORMATTING ... This is a response to previous post which was not immediately obvious.
Docs were mailed on 10th November and it reached to NY office on 12th November. I had taken a signature confirmation service. So it is almost a month now and still there is no any response to this. ALL required docs were sent as per the OCI guidelines.

... if you see the preview posts on this page, it was taking 3 weeks from receipt (by mail) to acknowledgement ... until you came along it seems. However, do remember that this time might be more busy than earlier due to a) thanksgiving holidays ... consulate was closed, and b) probably high workload due to year-end visas (again due to holidays). OCI seems to be low priority compared to visa processing.

Reaching someone ... just keep trying, or visit. There is no guarantee.

In my opinion, even though 5 weeks have past, your acknowledgement is only about 1 week late in coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Thank you brother for answering....
I guess I will just have to wait until I hear something back.....:(

and will also keep on calling them :(

Update on my case: Finally just half an hour back some lady picked up the phone and told her my story. She said the whole process takes 12 weeks and 6 weeks to acknowledge the application. If you do not see any status on the site after 6 weeks then only give us a call until then just check your status on the site.

So I guess I will call up again in the middle of next week and will let you guys know....and oh yeah they still haven't replied back to my two emails which I sent. One was sent like almost 8-10 days ago, and 2nd was sent around 3 days ago I believe!

Not really concerned about whether they pick up the phone or reply back to my emails, but just want this to get acknowledged as I would like to travel in January and I am sure I will not be able to anymore because of this delay in acknowledgment.

Thx for reading!

Not really concerned about whether they pick up the phone or reply back to my emails, but just want this to get acknowledged as I would like to travel in January and I am sure I will not be able to anymore because of this delay in acknowledgment.

If traveling to India, you can still travel on US Passport + Visa but it is an additional expense, and as long as you did not send in your passports with your application. You can take visa last minute if OCI does not come through.

Went in to the consulate on December 10th and they gave us our family OCIs. The website also got updated with Dec 10th dates. My OCI journey for now is over :)

Good luck to the others.

My key observation: Getting the application acknowledged is the long pole in the tent, everything after that falls in place (just a matter of time).

For CGI - NY
DO I need to send Self Addressed envelope
If you are going to NYC Indian consulate to collect your OCI then no need to send envelope or fee $20.

If you are going to send your US passport for U visa and Indian passport for cancellation by post AFTER the OCI documents are received at NY Consulate then send the certified check of $20.$20 they charge for sending you your documents at your address. if you send Self Addressed envelope it is not problem for them.

read the link
http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=177&partid=100&sub=sub6

OCI Process Started

Applied for Self Spouse and kid y'day. Sent all the stuff to CGINY. Spouse had last name changed during naturalization so sent a copy of court order and marriage certificate. Let' s see if the babus accept it. It being Christmas/New Year time, I expect w'll have the OCI around Christmas 2010 :D.

Hi Psmith
Did u remember signing on Page 3 of US Passport.
On page 3 Its says
We the People

Signature of the Bearer

Do u recollect signing, it.
I guess we need to. But Just wanted to make sure
And just to confirm
Did u send page 2 and 3 and Last page of US Passport and Indian passport

GC_KA_CHAKKAR,
Yeah I/We signed the page. I signed on behalf of my child in the space indicated. As for what pages I sent, I sent the pages you mention, for sure. But I also sent other non-Visa pages and a visa page with ECNR not required stamp. Why you ask? because I do not want the application to be sent back so better give them a bit more than what they require, may be they can use the extra documents to line their nests (cubie) for a warm winter :p. But dude my application package weighed a ton and had sharp edges :eek: what with all the duplicate copies and paper clips . Thank goodness for USPS flat rate boxes.

As an aside, what's with different consulates having different requirements in regards number of photos, notarization etc. Why is the fee not updated for the PIO card holders who are applying for OCI. If you or anyone can answer that you may be in line for a Nobel which they seem to be handing out freely based on expected future potential.;) Just venting.

Applied for Self Spouse and kid y'day. Sent all the stuff to CGINY. Spouse had last name changed during naturalization so sent a copy of court order and marriage certificate. Let' s see if the babus accept it. It being Christmas/New Year time, I expect w'll have the OCI around Christmas 2010 :D.

Good luck brother - hope you get it on time!

I am still waiting for them to acknowledged the applications :mad:
I tried calling today but as usual NO REPLY :eek: And yea no reply to my two emails which were sent like 2 weeks ago. :(
FYI: I mailed it on 10th Nov, and they got it on 12th Nov (USPS signature confirmation service). Some lady at the NY consulate told me when I spoke to her last time, wait for 6 weeks then only give us a call :mad:

So this is the story of my case :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: :D

If traveling to India, you can still travel on US Passport + Visa but it is an additional expense, and as long as you did not send in your passports with your application. You can take visa last minute if OCI does not come through.

Right brother - I am aware of that but the thing is I am moving back to India that's why I need OCI........so let's see what happens....

Poor service :mad:

UPDATE: Those of you who are interested in my case. Y'day I had sent an email to CG of NY office so he cc'ed me and asked OCI dept. to find out the status on applications. Received response and they said...I had sent only one set of application so they rejected my application. I told them I have sent 2 sets of applications and documents along with pics too...but they are not ready to accept on that. So now I will have to resubmit everything.....pathetic people and pathetic service!

All just pure BS!

Sorry to hear that bro. Hope you get it sorted out. I am hoping my bp does not shoot up before I get the OCI.

I called and talked to the embassy twice. Both times, they promised to look into why my application was not showing up in the system. The very next day (11/9), it arrived here by mail because they deemed it incomplete.

I did what they asked for and shipped it out on 11/10. They received it on 11/13, but to date, it still shows up as "unacknowledged". I guess I just have to wait for another two months!

My application was finally "acknowledged" on Dec 3rd. So, expect about 3 weeks from time time the ny embassy receives your application to the time it is posted as "acknowledged".

My app status now says that "Photo/Signature Scanned" on Dec 17th. Looks like its moving along.

Update: On Thursday they said they have mailed the applications back; I am still yet to receive them. But one thing is sure that I am not going to re-submit the applications as I don't have time since I'd like to travel to India in end of January.

So my questions to master of law is now that - can we apply from India? And I have read on the Indian gov't site that one can apply from India for OCI. But we already submitted the Part A here in the US and gave US address and all. So how do we go about applying from India; a brand new application OR move the current one from US to India and how do we do all this?

Please help me guys!!