OCI - New York Tracker

>>Like OCI recieved at NYC and one has to send Indian passport for surrender certificate by mail then one get surrender certificate in 15-20 days and then why again one need to send surrender certificate + indian passport and US passport? dont they have records? why they dont ask in this situation send surrender certificate Application, Indian passportand US passport for OCI?
Why they dont ask to send Indian passport, Form and application for surrender certificate when one apply for OCI so that one it can take less time?
if one apply for Child who was never Indian Citizen/ never had Indian Citizen and born in US and child sent OCI on the base of parents being Indian Citizen in Past why the child need to submit Parents surrender certificate? Eligibilty of Child OCI application is only Child being born to Parents of Indian Citizen or his/her Grand parents being Indian Citizen. Why they ask the surrender certificate from Child who got OCI approved and at the time of application for OCI child has attached the required documents on Online registration form ?
Why they dont create FAQ for the diffrent situations?
Good Luck!!
>>
Sure, Good one and I will try compile it this weekend

>>Like OCI recieved at NYC and one has to send Indian passport for surrender certificate by mail then one get surrender certificate in 15-20 days and then why again one need to send surrender certificate + indian passport and US passport? dont they have records? why they dont ask in this situation send surrender certificate Application, Indian passportand US passport for OCI?
Why they dont ask to send Indian passport, Form and application for surrender certificate when one apply for OCI so that one it can take less time?
if one apply for Child who was never Indian Citizen/ never had Indian Citizen and born in US and child sent OCI on the base of parents being Indian Citizen in Past why the child need to submit Parents surrender certificate? Eligibilty of Child OCI application is only Child being born to Parents of Indian Citizen or his/her Grand parents being Indian Citizen. Why they ask the surrender certificate from Child who got OCI approved and at the time of application for OCI child has attached the required documents on Online registration form ?
Why they dont create FAQ for the diffrent situations?
Good Luck!!
>>
Sure, Good one and I will try compile it this weekend

We should find more questions and situations that are not clear. I will also make list of Situations in 1-2 days. Others also should Post the list of questions according to Situations then we all read the questions and make a list of Questions and will also write our suggestions then only we should mail it to them so that they have ALL the questions and answer or Post FAQ realted to every situation.
Thanks

Did anybody got Surrender certificate from NYC who sent Indian passport and Form +Fee by Mail? How many days it took to get that?

Email response copy that I got from MC ==> mc.sharma@nic.in
--- Post what is MC? Who is SHARMA? What Ministry he is in? MHA or Ministry of External affairs?

Dear Mission,
This is regarding email sent by Shri <>> dated 13th May'2010 in connection with despatch of US Passport duly stamped OCI sticker.

2.Current status of despatch of US passport and OCI card in respect of Shri <<>> be intimated to this Ministry as well as applicant concerned.

with rgds,

Ever Ministry
what is Ever Ministry?

So, every Indian paper mentions that Surrender Certificate will be free for anyone with an Indian Passport that exired before Jan 1, 2005.
All the Consulates are charging minimum $175, no matter what the case.

So, did the papers get it wrong, or was it intentionally released that way, or are the Consulates not following the rule?

Email response copy that I got from MC ==> mc.sharma@nic.in

Dear Mission,
This is regarding email sent by Shri <>> dated 13th May'2010 in connection with despatch of US Passport duly stamped OCI sticker.

2.Current status of despatch of US passport and OCI card in respect of Shri <<>> be intimated to this Ministry as well as applicant concerned.

with rgds,

Ever Ministry
M C Sharma is employed with Directorate General Employment & Training, Ministry of Labour & Employment.
His Email to Mission for OCI will have no value as Sharma is not working with Ministry of Home Affairs or Ministry of External affairs. If you know Mr Sharma then he may know someone in Ministry of Home affairs or Ministry of External Affairs and the Person from Ministry of Home affairs or Ministry of External Affairs should send Email to Mission or NYC. why did you sent email to MC Sharma in General Employment & Training, Ministry of Labour & Employment? Ministry of Labour & Employment have nothing to do with Visa/PIO/OCI. You need to Send Email to Ministry of Home affairs or Ministry of External Affairs
Secretaries, under Secretaries, Personal Secretaries of Ministers and Directly to Ministers of Minister of states and CC to Prabhu Dayal, Mr Bajaj, Anju Kumar.

So, every Indian paper mentions that Surrender Certificate will be free for anyone with an Indian Passport that exired before Jan 1, 2005.

---Give the Link of Indian papers where the artical is so that others can read it and can write to Editors

All the Consulates are charging minimum $175, no matter what the case.

So, did the papers get it wrong, or was it intentionally released that way, or are the Consulates not following the rule?
----Provide the the Links where you read
--------------

Latest update- went ot consulate today

Hi, (excuse spelling in a hurry)

I was at the consulate today. I spoke to Mr. Bajaj and Prabhu Dayal was also there. I won't bor eyou all with the crowd, displeasure, long line and people complainign and shouting but here are the details.

OCI- any OCI received by the 4th of may WILL NOT PAY THE $175 but it is reccoemnded to get the SC at your convienicne.

ALL OCI from 5 may onwards, pay SC get SC nad then OCI. For emergency, you can go to consulate to get SC. i APPLIED TODAY WAS ASKED TO PICK UP ON JUNE 1

CONSULATE WILL OPEN NEXT SAT SUN TO HELP EMERGENCY PROCESSING

ARJUN

Not sure if they are strictly following this rule. My OCI was approved on April 21st and the reached New York office on May 4th but my OCI card and passports were still held the New York office. I finally received an email on May11th from the consultate asking me to file for Surrender Certificate along with $175.

Hi, ...
ARJUN

Hey Doc,
Is it Sat, Sun 05/22 and 5/23 or 05/29 and 05/30? I might have to go to the consulate in person to get my OCI as I am travelling first week of June.

Also, any idea why OCI received by 05/04 don't pay $175??? It is neither the date they updated the new rule nor beginning of the week/month???
thanks!

OCI- any OCI received by the 4th of may WILL NOT PAY THE $175 but it is reccoemnded to get the SC at your convienicne.

When you say, OCI received by the 4th of may, you mean dispatched from Delhi and received at NY consulate before May 4, right?
Or do you mean OCI application received (acknowledged) by NY before May 4th.

I think you mean former, although the latter would make more sense to implement the new rule. In any case, I hope consulate had been clear on their website.

cancel passort in 2003

I have situation not sure how this will affect me.

I become US citizen in 2003. I sent my passport to NY consulate for cancelation and they sent me a letter with statement of "WE HAVE NOTED THAT YOU HAVE RENOUNCED INDIAN CITIZENSHIP AND HAVE ACQUIRED UNITED STATES NATIONALITY" and they sent my Indian passport back. I applied for OCI. The last status is document left from India on 5/12. No update since then. Do I also need SU to get OCI stamp/Card?? I sent an email to P.K. Bajaj. He told ye "Yes please, you are required to first obtain the surrender certificate and then send your oci applications with a copy of the surrender certificate (surrender certificate is not required by your daughters if they are born in the US). "

I am not sure why i have to get SU. Any suggestions.

Thank you,

Hi, (excuse spelling in a hurry)

I was at the consulate today. I spoke to Mr. Bajaj and Prabhu Dayal was also there. I won't bor eyou all with the crowd, displeasure, long line and people complainign and shouting but here are the details.

ALL OCI from 5 may onwards, pay SC get SC nad then OCI. For emergency, you can go to consulate to get SC. i APPLIED TODAY WAS ASKED TO PICK UP ON JUNE 1

ARJUN

Still confused about providing copy of Naturalization Certificate!!!

Hi,

I'm getting ready to send in my papers for the Surrender Certificate but I'm still a bit confused by how to send in copies of my Naturalization Certificates. The official procedure is to make an Infopass appointment, go in to the USCIS office with your ID and originals, and then they will provide you with a Certified True Copy of the NC. Is everyone following this procedure to get the NC copy and then send it into NY CGI for the Surrender Certificate, or are you just making copies of the NC anyway?

It's such a pain, as the official procedure adds more time and inconvenience to the OCI process. I just wish the Indian CGIs would have thought a little more about making the process easier rather than only about how to get more money out of this!

Will appreciate a note/feedback on what folks are doing about the NC copy. Thanks!

Arjun: Please advise when you say OCT received by the 4th? what that means. I have my paper work left from India on 5/12 and waiting to arrive in NY. So should i have to pay for SC or get it free?? Please clarify.