OCI appl (NY) -10/18/10
Recd email from consulate that they recd 10/22/10
Ack 11/22/10
Scanned 11/23/10
Granted 11/30/10
Printed 12/6/10
Dispatched 12/9/10
Reached NY 12/15/10
Will go to CGI-NY on 12/17/10 to pick it up. Will let you know my experience after I get it.

Please make sure you take your original Indian Passport. The lady at the OCI counter no. 4 wants to see the cancelled stamp.

You must take a printout of the OCI status page along with your US passport.

Please do not go there before 9 a.m. unless you want to freeze in this cold weather. The consulate opens the gate at 9 and let you inside. If you go after 10:30 a.m. they will not accept you and ask you to come the next business day.

They start giving back your passport at 4:30 p.m. by calling names, even though the lady wants you to come back at 5p.m. If you are in no rush then you can be there at 5. If you go there around 3:30 p.m. to collect your passport, the security guy will let you sit inside. They have a limited seating and hence first come first served.

Overall the NY consulate has a good staff including the security - on only one condition, you must behave good to get the same in return. If you are rude then they can be more rude. The security staff is the best. The worst is the Travisa guys sitting on their desk with passports all over - filthy.

Make sure you do not take any important bags like laptop, etc. as you have to keep it outside on the street. The consulate will not store or protect your belongings.

Good Luck and let us know your experience on Friday.

SC 9/22/10
OCI appl (NY) -10/18/10
Recd email from consulate that they recd 10/22/10
Ack 11/22/10
Scanned 11/23/10
Granted 11/30/10
Printed 12/6/10
Dispatched 12/9/10
Reached NY 12/15/10
Will go to CGI-NY on 12/17/10 to pick it up. Will let you know my experience after I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please make sure you take your original Indian Passport. The lady at the OCI counter no. 4 wants to see the cancelled stamp.

You must take a printout of the OCI status page along with your US passport.

Please do not go there before 9 a.m. unless you want to freeze in this cold weather. The consulate opens the gate at 9 and let you inside. If you go after 10:30 a.m. they will not accept you and ask you to come the next business day.

They start giving back your passport at 4:30 p.m. even though the lady wants you to come back at 5p.m. If you are in no rush then you can be there at 5. If you go there around 3:30 p.m. to collect your passport, the security guy will let you sit inside. They have a limited seating and hence first come first served.

Overall the NY consulate has a good staff including the security - on only one condition, you must behave good to get the same in return. If you are rude then they can be more rude. The security staff is the best. The worst is the Travisa guys sitting on their desk with passports all over - filthy.

Make sure you do not take any important bags like laptop, etc. as you have to keep it outside on the street. The consulate will not store or protect your belongings.

Good Luck and let us know your experience on Friday.

Thanks a lot.. Will take everything in a plastic bag...Will give details on Friday.

@Rohilr=> This is how i made my sets and it got approved within a month .. got oci within 2.

Cover letter

Set A>
Form Part A for all 3 (with photo and signature)
Form Part B
One check for all 3
Photos for all 3 (2*3)
Checklist for me for this set
My set of docs
Checklist for wife for this set
Wifes set of docs
Checklist for son for this set
Sons set of docs

Set B>
Checklist for Set A
Form Part A for all 3 (with photo and original signature)
Form Part B
Checklist for me for this set
My set of docs
Checklist for wife for this set
Wifes set of docs
Checklist for son for this set
Sons set of docs

Used clips to separate sets.

Rahul,
Thanks a lot . I was ready to send my docs, and just saw your post. Thanks a lot ad I will arrange them , the way you specified.

Acknowledgement of OCI application

Yes, good point phillydude. I also had the same issue when applying my son's and my OCI jointly. They rejected after 5 weeks because my wife did not sign the application and sent the whole package back to us. Damn fools don't mention that anywhere and expect everyone to read their minds. BTW, they did not say that both my wife and I needed to sign in the minor application section, they just said both parents need to sign the application. Anyway, my wife signed in the second signature space at the end of the application Part B and just wrote that she was the mother of our son. She did not sign in the minor applicant parent section. Anyway, it looks like they are ok with it because we resubmitted the application this way and everything seems to moving along now ... it's been a month since they received the resubmitted app and they have acknowledged and scanned it now. So far so good.

I am in the same boat. My wife had signed for my son's application as she was applied for herself and our son. Few days back we recieved an email from Falguni Kanani from CGINY. We faxed and emailed the Part B of our sons application with both the parents signatures. We sent this on Decemmber 2 and so far the application has not been acknowledged. It has been over a month now since the original applications were mailed.
How long did it take for the application to be acknowledged after you signed the Part B form and resent?

My wife and son applied for their OCI jointly on November 9, 2010. The application was recieved by the consulate on November 9, 2010. We recieved an email from Falguni Kanani with CGINY stating that the application needs to be signed by both parents. We faxed and emailed Part B of our son's application on December 2.
So far, the OCI applications for both has not been acknowledged. How long did it take for you and your son's application to be acknowledged after you send the Part B for your son?.
Thanks
Vivek

My wife and son applied for their OCI jointly on November 9, 2010. The application was recieved by the consulate on November 9, 2010. We recieved an email from Falguni Kanani with CGINY stating that the application needs to be signed by both parents. We faxed and emailed Part B of our son's application on December 2.
So far, the OCI applications for both has not been acknowledged. How long did it take for you and your son's application to be acknowledged after you send the Part B for your son?.
Thanks
Vivek

Vivek, please note that my initial OCI package was completely returned to me and so I resubmitted it a second time after my wife had signed off on it as well and the timeline for this resubmitted OCI app is:

OCI package reached CGINY on 11/8
Falguni Kanani sent an email acknowledging receiving the OCI package on 11/10
OCI was officially acknowledged in the system on 12/11
Photos and signatures were scanned on 12/13

Anyone applying for Minor - Make sure both parents sign the "Minor Application" on Page 2 of Part B. Even though it mentions "parent" and has space for only one signature.

My wife applied for herself and my son, so she signed the application and mailed them. 4 weeks later she got an email that both parents have to sign the minor application section and asked to resubmit that page. We already sent that in, but I'm sure that's going to delay the application by a few weeks now.

I am in the same boat as you are. My wife applied for herself and our son and we recieved an email from Falguni Kanani (CGINY) on Nov 29 saying that we need to resubmit Part B of our son's application with both parents signatures. We faxed and emailed this to the address mentioned. So far the applications have not been acknowledged.
Vivek

JP, I find your statement is wrong. I did find the following in CGI Chicago website regarding OCI " how to apply for OCI Card".

11. Minor children need not sign at the end of Part-B. In the box provided for signature near photo, only applicant should sign or put his/her thumb impression precisely in the box, not spilling out of the box.Parents should not sign in case of minors. If minors can sign, then let them sign. In case of Minors both parents should sign and provide photocopy of their passports (with signature page).

I feel it will be there somewhere in all other CGI websites, which is not read by many.

Rahul,
Thanks a lot . I was ready to send my docs, and just saw your post. Thanks a lot ad I will arrange them , the way you specified.

I mailed my docs today. Even though all of us ( myself, my wife and son) applied together, and myself and my wife signed the 2nd page of Part B, we both signed again on the lower part about minor, even though it clearly says " signature of first applicant". Lets hopw all goes well.

Finally received our OCI cards and Stamped passport.
Finally done with immigration stuff.

Thanks to this forum and it's members for the moral support :)

Good Luck!

If you need any info please PM me.

Thanks

Finally received our OCI cards and Stamped passport.
Finally done with immigration stuff.

Thanks to this forum and it's members for the moral support :)

Good Luck!

If you need any info please PM me.

Thanks
congrats.
did you apply SC/OCI together?
How much time it took from start to finish?

JP, I find your statement is wrong. I did find the following in CGI Chicago website regarding OCI " how to apply for OCI Card".

11. Minor children need not sign at the end of Part-B. In the box provided for signature near photo, only applicant should sign or put his/her thumb impression precisely in the box, not spilling out of the box.Parents should not sign in case of minors. If minors can sign, then let them sign. In case of Minors both parents should sign and provide photocopy of their passports (with signature page).

I feel it will be there somewhere in all other CGI websites, which is not read by many.

madh4, why the hell would I be reading the Chicago CGI website when I am applying at CGI NY? Since you take the trouble to point out that I am wrong, why don't you read the CGI NY website instructions and tell me where they tell me this same info? Jeez, stop making such lazy statements if you can't back up what you're saying.

congrats.
did you apply SC/OCI together?
How much time it took from start to finish?

No I did them separately. Surrender Certificate took 2 weeks.

the dates are in my signature.

Including surrender certificate it took about 4 months.

I didn't send my kids PIO cards with the application. So that delayed the process quite a bit.

good luck emno!

No I did them separately. Surrender Certificate took 2 weeks.

the dates are in my signature.

Including surrender certificate it took about 4 months.

I didn't send my kids PIO cards with the application. So that delayed the process quite a bit.

good luck emno!

Thanks for sharing and your wishes.
I will also get thru this process along with others here.

Finally tc02 received his OCI on 12/17/10. Congrats....it has been a milestone!!!

I am happy for you. I was worried that the consulate has for real lost your application. If you can please update this forum exactly what did the magic and also give the timeline. Highly appreciated..

I got this info from the immihelp oci tracker website.

I applied in June 2010 for OCI at the NY office. I am yet to receive any acknowledgement or updates from them. I have sent out numerous emails but nobody has replied back. I have tried calling the office too but nobody ever picks up the phone either. I am pretty convinced at this point that they have lost my paperwork.

Finally done

Got my OCI stamped today.

Reached NYCGI @ 8:45 with all PP, SC, and status updates. DO NOT TAKE ANY BIG BAGS as they ask you to keep the bags outside. I took my stuff in a plastic walmart grocery bag.

Went to counter 4..gave PP + status update. Left NYCGI @ around 9:25, Lady asked me went to Museum of Nat History. Got back just before 3 PM. The gate was open, so I sat in the consulate and took a nap. The others who came (probably after 3) had to wait till 4:30 in the cold.

They call out by name..Collected all PP, OCI ensured no errors and came back.
Journey complete. Am exhausted...and relieved...BTW, OCI reached NY on 12/15 and I went today....please see the time frame for the process in my earlier posts...Don't have the energy to retype it. We are expecting our twins next year..The journey may be over for me and my wife (but still have to deal with this for two more in the near future). So I'll still be around...

BTW, I was shocked to see the way the visa guys handle the PP. It's shocking. I wouldn't trust them with any important document..All the best to everyone..Any questions/doubts..I'll answer to the best of my ability...

Response to the query

Anyone applying for Minor - Make sure both parents sign the "Minor Application" on Page 2 of Part B. Even though it mentions "parent" and has space for only one signature.

My wife applied for herself and my son, so she signed the application and mailed them. 4 weeks later she got an email that both parents have to sign the minor application section and asked to resubmit that page. We already sent that in, but I'm sure that's going to delay the application by a few weeks now.

Phillydude, let me know once your application has been acknowledged. I am in the same boat as you are and we have not recieved the acknowledgement after faxing and emailing the Part B form. When do you send the revised Part B form?. Keep me posted once you have recieved the acknowledgement.

Thanks
Vivek

Got my OCI stamped today.

Reached NYCGI @ 8:45 with all PP, SC, and status updates. DO NOT TAKE ANY BIG BAGS as they ask you to keep the bags outside. I took my stuff in a plastic walmart grocery bag.

Went to counter 4..gave PP + status update. Left NYCGI @ around 9:25, Lady asked me went to Museum of Nat History. Got back just before 3 PM. The gate was open, so I sat in the consulate and took a nap. The others who came (probably after 3) had to wait till 4:30 in the cold.

They call out by name..Collected all PP, OCI ensured no errors and came back.
Journey complete. Am exhausted...and relieved...BTW, OCI reached NY on 12/15 and I went today....please see the time frame for the process in my earlier posts...Don't have the energy to retype it. We are expecting our twins next year..The journey may be over for me and my wife (but still have to deal with this for two more in the near future). So I'll still be around...

BTW, I was shocked to see the way the visa guys handle the PP. It's shocking. I wouldn't trust them with any important document..All the best to everyone..Any questions/doubts..I'll answer to the best of my ability...

Congratulations @Rajmandude