OCI - New York Tracker

Our OCI cards got printed today.

Looks like mine is going to be like misc_chic's application.
The print date changed again to 11/23

Last edited by a moderator:
Received my passports and OCI back from consulate and I am glad that all the 4 passport stamps and OCI are in order.

8/10 - Application Mailed
8/11 - Received at consulate
9/02 - Received call from consulate to send original PIO card
9/03 - Mailed PIO card
9/07 - PIO card received at consulate
9/13 - Status change to Under Process
10/13 - Status change to Granted
10/22 - Document Printed
10/27 - Document Dispatched
11/2 - Documents Received at CGI-NY
11/4 - Passportsmailed to consulate
11/5 - Passports received at consulate
11/12 - Stamped passports and OCI mailed from consulate
11/13 - Received stamped passports and OCI

congrats. It took almost 3 month for all the steps.

OCI time frame

Hi guys,
Applied for OCI (me and wife) - 10/18/10 -NY
10/22/10 email ack from CGINY
11/22/10 Ack for me and wife
11/23/10 Photo sign scanned
11/30/10 Granted
Not yet printed...Now the worst part......Any idea how long it takes from granted to printed...I sent "white backgrd" pics for both me and wife... I heard that they are very finicky.
I got my Indian PP renewed this March and CGI-NY found flaws in my photos..

Hi guys,
Applied for OCI (me and wife) - 10/18/10 -NY
10/22/10 email ack from CGINY
11/22/10 Ack for me and wife
11/23/10 Photo sign scanned
11/30/10 Granted
Not yet printed...Now the worst part......Any idea how long it takes from granted to printed...I sent "white backgrd" pics for both me and wife... I heard that they are very finicky.
I got my Indian PP renewed this March and CGI-NY found flaws in my photos..

as u the status shows granted, u have got nothing to worry

i mailed in my passport for oci stamping on the 17th after seeing the stats as it was received at the mission/consulate on the 15th of nov. I tried to email the OCI as i wasnt having updates. I tried to call them on the number listed on nycg's website (to be called between 2 and 4 pm), after unfruitful attempts, I finally called the consular general, he was very polite and he took down my online reg number, name and number. after 10 mins i get a call from him saying that he took care of it and is apologized for the delay and assured me that its going out on express mail today and gave me the tracking number.....

consular general at ny rocks! he is so helpful and humble... every one else in that office has some freaky bad attitude!

I heard that if you do not see "printed" in 4 day's time..they photo is rejected...But the thread here shows some of NY applications take ~7-10 days from Granted to Printed..Any thoughts....What's your time frame sreeleshk..

I heard that if you do not see "printed" in 4 day's time..they photo is rejected...But the thread here shows some of NY applications take ~7-10 days from Granted to Printed..Any thoughts....What's your time frame sreeleshk..

lemme copy+paste

Date Of Acknowledgment 09-SEP-2010

Application Status

Photo/Signature Scanned On 23-OCT-2010
Registration Status Granted On 28-OCT-2010

Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 04-NOV-2010

Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 08-NOV-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 15-NOV-2010

What you "heard" is wrong. My case is at "Registration Granted " . Today i got an email from my consulate stating

Congratulations !!! your OCI application has been granted.
(AND PLEASE IGNORE THE REMAINING PART OF THIS MESSAGE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COLLECTED YOUR OCI CARD & VISA)

2 Please check the status of OCI card by putting the on-line registration number(s), as mentioned below, in the link http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp. :-

USACI27xxxxxxxx

3. If you find that your OCI documents are not printed after three weeks of granting your application, then there is a problem with your photo. Since the photo is not as per the specifications provided in the website, it has not been accepted by the on-line printing facility (Machine and not a man) at Delhi. As we need to reprocess your application, you need to do the following things:

(a) Please do the on-line registration once again. Take printout and then scan only first page of the Part-A of the form after you sign or put your thumb impression (as applied) in the box near the space for photo. Please sign or put thumb impression (as required) by thick pen (black or blue ink), do not spill over signature /thumb impression out of the signature box. Please do not paste photo on the part-A. Please send photo as mentioned in (b) below. Please send scanned copy (jpeg format) of this first page and photograph (jpeg format as separate attachment) to us by email.

(b) Kindly take photo as per the following: (i) face should be at the center of the photo and face should occupy 75% of the photo area. (ii) Background should be light e.g. sky-blue, (iii) Background should not be white, (iv) There should be proper light on the face...It should not be too bright, dark or reddish or yellowish, (v) If you have lenses, please take care that there should not be a reflection in the eyes, (vi) Eyes should be visible through the thick frames (vii) It is better that you take photo by removing your spects. Do not take photo at departmental stores, take photo from proper photo studio and take it in jpeg. format from them (with resolution of 300 dpi). Please do not send the same photo which you sent with the hard copy of the application (first time), by scanning. Please do not send the same photos again and again.This will further delay your application.

(C) Please send scanned copy of your new on-line registration form as mentioned in (a) above and photo as mentioned in (b) above with your name and mention both on-line registration numbers (new as well as old) by email links provided in "OCI Card Priting Problem Tab" in our website". We are requesting these things by email to avoid further delay in processing your application. We will reprocess and re-grant your application. You should check the status with new on-line registration number.

4. Once you find that your OCI documents reached at Chicago, then you may follow the procedure explained in the enclosure for collection of OCI documents. However please note that for all Indian origin naturalised US (foreign) citizens, it is essential to get the "Renunciation Form and Surrender Certificate" from the Consulate. Please see the procedure for the same in the website. You may come and collect your OCI documents for all the family members, however you have to bring authorization letter (on plain paper) from the family members mentioning your ID (passport number) so that we will see your ID and give the OCI documents. If you are sending your passports by mail then please send it by FEDEX or USPS-Exprerss mail, so that you will get a confirmation about the delivery of your documents at the Consulate.

Regards,

( CGI Chicago)

same must be true of all Consulates. Wait for at least 2 weeks from Granted to printing.

I sent
1. Cover letter
2. Passports
3. Express Mail envelope and mailing slip.

Finally our OCI has reached NY!

Dumb question for those of you who mailed their US passport for stamping.
How do send a express mail envelope inside another express mail envelope?

Is it ok if we just send the mailing slip?
The envelopes are free why can't they just get it from USPS?

Thanks

What you "heard" is wrong. My case is at "Registration Granted " . Today i got an email from my consulate stating

Congratulations !!! your OCI application has been granted.
(AND PLEASE IGNORE THE REMAINING PART OF THIS MESSAGE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COLLECTED YOUR OCI CARD & VISA)

2 Please check the status of OCI card by putting the on-line registration number(s), as mentioned below, in the link http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp. :-

USACI27xxxxxxxx

3. If you find that your OCI documents are not printed after three weeks of granting your application, then there is a problem with your photo. Since the photo is not as per the specifications provided in the website, it has not been accepted by the on-line printing facility (Machine and not a man) at Delhi. As we need to reprocess your application, you need to do the following things:

(a) Please do the on-line registration once again. Take printout and then scan only first page of the Part-A of the form after you sign or put your thumb impression (as applied) in the box near the space for photo. Please sign or put thumb impression (as required) by thick pen (black or blue ink), do not spill over signature /thumb impression out of the signature box. Please do not paste photo on the part-A. Please send photo as mentioned in (b) below. Please send scanned copy (jpeg format) of this first page and photograph (jpeg format as separate attachment) to us by email.

(b) Kindly take photo as per the following: (i) face should be at the center of the photo and face should occupy 75% of the photo area. (ii) Background should be light e.g. sky-blue, (iii) Background should not be white, (iv) There should be proper light on the face...It should not be too bright, dark or reddish or yellowish, (v) If you have lenses, please take care that there should not be a reflection in the eyes, (vi) Eyes should be visible through the thick frames (vii) It is better that you take photo by removing your spects. Do not take photo at departmental stores, take photo from proper photo studio and take it in jpeg. format from them (with resolution of 300 dpi). Please do not send the same photo which you sent with the hard copy of the application (first time), by scanning. Please do not send the same photos again and again.This will further delay your application.

(C) Please send scanned copy of your new on-line registration form as mentioned in (a) above and photo as mentioned in (b) above with your name and mention both on-line registration numbers (new as well as old) by email links provided in "OCI Card Priting Problem Tab" in our website". We are requesting these things by email to avoid further delay in processing your application. We will reprocess and re-grant your application. You should check the status with new on-line registration number.

4. Once you find that your OCI documents reached at Chicago, then you may follow the procedure explained in the enclosure for collection of OCI documents. However please note that for all Indian origin naturalised US (foreign) citizens, it is essential to get the "Renunciation Form and Surrender Certificate" from the Consulate. Please see the procedure for the same in the website. You may come and collect your OCI documents for all the family members, however you have to bring authorization letter (on plain paper) from the family members mentioning your ID (passport number) so that we will see your ID and give the OCI documents. If you are sending your passports by mail then please send it by FEDEX or USPS-Exprerss mail, so that you will get a confirmation about the delivery of your documents at the Consulate.

Regards,

( CGI Chicago)

same must be true of all Consulates. Wait for at least 2 weeks from Granted to printing.

congrats and thansk for sharing this valuable info.

Finally our OCI has reached NY!

Dumb question for those of you who mailed their US passport for stamping.
How do send a express mail envelope inside another express mail envelope?

magic......

just fold it.....

Is it ok if we just send the mailing slip?
The envelopes are free why can't they just get it from USPS?

Thanks

fold it !

Finally done with this process!!!

Timeline for family of 3
Got my US passport in 8 business days after i applied (expedited processing, great tracking and service).
Applied for surrender certificate a few days later (Aug 25) (express mail)
Reached NYC consulate Aug 27
SC returned Sep 25 (after 1 month .... after several calls and emails which never got answered)... was really scared they lost my indian passports)
OCI package sent out Sep 28 (express mail)
OCI package received Sep 29 at NYC consulate
Oct 5 NYC consulate issues statement on website "they are not accepting any more OCIs becuase of website issues).. didn't know what that meant for my application.
Oct 12 NYC issues statement on website "Accepting OCi applications again".. hoping my application wasnt returned in the meanwhile..
Oct 20th application acknowledged ( i found religion again!!!)
Oct 22 photos/signature scanned
Oct 30 OCI granted
Nov 11 docs printed
Nov 12 docs printed again!!!
Nov 16 docs dispatched
Nov 20 docs at NYC.
Nov 21.. thought deep .. thought hard... didnt want to rely on NYC consulate to send US passports stamped in time for trip to India in jan (bad experience with SC), bought ticket to NYC (had sky miles anyways).
Dec 1 flew to NYC (3 hours flight from ohio ..got re-routed... took 12 hours .. bad weather... bad luck!!!)
Dec 2 took a bus from NJ to port authority NYC (42 and 8th) and then cab to (65th and 5th) the consulate.. reached at 9.30.
FYI timings now are between 9.15 to 10.30(not 9.30 to 11.00).
The counters are in a basement , a small staircase leads down on the left side of the consulate. Once you enter ..go into the room on the extreme right and counter number 4 (or was it 6) ..oci counter. There was only 1 person in front of me at that time. That poor person was trying to find out what she needed to do since her indian passport was lost.
They are asking to see cancelled indian passport and surrender certificate. I had copy of surrender cert and actual cancelled passports.
Submitted 3 passports and the 3 status pages.
Was told to come back at 5.00.
Went to the museum of natural history (fascinating place... time really flew).
Back at 4.00 (am still an indian in habits, so when i was told come back at 5.00... i came back at 4.00 to make sure .. :) )
Was made to wait outside in the street with about 20 people in line in the cold. Was 4th in line.
Were admitted in by 4.45, and the lady started calling out names for OCI (dont stand in line .. just take a chair.. they call in random order by name anyways)... They return the entire familys papers at the same time . US passport and oci booklets. Checked OCI details and was out by 5.30.
minor sons OCi card did not have thumb print.. asked OCI lady.. she said it was ok for minors.
Walked out of the consulate .....turned around in the direction of the consulate...., folded my hands and said good bye and good riddance!!!!

Know it was a lengthy post... but considering the anxiety the process and uncertainty i had experienced (which is still way less than some), i guess you guys will give me some leeway...

One observation the OCI process for people who applied in and around Jul, Aug Sep seemed to take long 3 to 4 mos, but after Oct 11th they seem to have sorted the issues with their process (mine less than 2 mos) . Just my observation tho.

Good luck with your processes, in case it still isn't over, and congrats if it is.

Applying for Wife's OCI

Looks like it is reccomended to get SC first; rather than sending it together. it was different when I did it in March...
Any thoughts?
Arjun

Applying for Wife's OCI

Looks like it is reccomended to get SC first; rather than sending it together. it was different when I did it in March...
Any thoughts?
Arjun

Get the SC first and then apply for OCI. I had enough headaches thinking it was easier and faster to apply for both together. In the end, I had to re-start everything and so got my SC done first and am now waiting for my OCI.

Timeline for family of 3
Got my US passport in 8 business days after i applied (expedited processing, great tracking and service).
Good luck with your processes, in case it still isn't over, and congrats if it is.

Congrats! Good for you :)
Enjoy your India trip.

Timeline for family of 3
Reached NYC consulate Aug 27
SC returned Sep 25 (after 1 month .... after several calls and emails which never got answered)... was really scared they lost my indian passports)
OCI package sent out Sep 28 (express mail)
OCI package received Sep 29 at NYC consulate
Oct 5 NYC consulate issues statement on website "they are not accepting any more OCIs becuase of website issues).. didn't know what that meant for my application.
Oct 12 NYC issues statement on website "Accepting OCi applications again".. hoping my application wasnt returned in the meanwhile..
Oct 20th application acknowledged ( i found religion again!!!)
Oct 22 photos/signature scanned
Oct 30 OCI granted
Nov 11 docs printed
Nov 12 docs printed again!!!
Nov 16 docs dispatched
Nov 20 docs at NYC.
Nov 21.. thought deep .. thought hard... didnt want to rely on NYC consulate to send US passports stamped in time for trip to India in jan (bad experience with SC), bought ticket to NYC (had sky miles anyways).
Dec 1 flew to NYC (3 hours flight from ohio ..got re-routed... took 12 hours .. bad weather... bad luck!!!)
Dec 2 took a bus from NJ to port authority NYC (42 and 8th) and then cab to (65th and 5th) the consulate.. reached at 9.30.
FYI timings now are between 9.15 to 10.30(not 9.30 to 11.00).
The counters are in a basement , a small staircase leads down on the left side of the consulate. Once you enter ..go into the room on the extreme right and counter number 4 (or was it 6) ..oci counter. There was only 1 person in front of me at that time. That poor person was trying to find out what she needed to do since her indian passport was lost.
They are asking to see cancelled indian passport and surrender certificate. I had copy of surrender cert and actual cancelled passports.
Submitted 3 passports and the 3 status pages.
Was told to come back at 5.00.
Went to the museum of natural history (fascinating place... time really flew).
Back at 4.00 (am still an indian in habits, so when i was told come back at 5.00... i came back at 4.00 to make sure .. :) )
Was made to wait outside in the street with about 20 people in line in the cold. Was 4th in line.
Were admitted in by 4.45, and the lady started calling out names for OCI (dont stand in line .. just take a chair.. they call in random order by name anyways)... They return the entire familys papers at the same time . US passport and oci booklets. Checked OCI details and was out by 5.30.
minor sons OCi card did not have thumb print.. asked OCI lady.. she said it was ok for minors.
Walked out of the consulate .....turned around in the direction of the consulate...., folded my hands and said good bye and good riddance!!!!

Know it was a lengthy post... but considering the anxiety the process and uncertainty i had experienced (which is still way less than some), i guess you guys will give me some leeway...

One observation the OCI process for people who applied in and around Jul, Aug Sep seemed to take long 3 to 4 mos, but after Oct 11th they seem to have sorted the issues with their process (mine less than 2 mos) . Just my observation tho.

Thank you for posting your experience.
I am in the process of applying OCi and SC together for self and family.

SC 9/23/10
OCI 10/18/10
Ack 11/22/10
Scanned 11/23/10
Granted 11/30/10
Printed 12/6/10

The batch prior to mine...Granted 11/24/10. Printed 12/1/10 was dispatched 12/6/10..Hopefully mine will be dispatched soon next week...Am seeing the a flickering bulb at the end of a long tunnel (F1-OPT-H1-EAD-GC-Citizenship-SC-OCI)