OCI - New York Tracker

Got my OCI stamped today.

Reached NYCGI @ 8:45 with all PP, SC, and status updates. DO NOT TAKE ANY BIG BAGS as they ask you to keep the bags outside. I took my stuff in a plastic walmart grocery bag.

Went to counter 4..gave PP + status update. Left NYCGI @ around 9:25, Lady asked me went to Museum of Nat History. Got back just before 3 PM. The gate was open, so I sat in the consulate and took a nap. The others who came (probably after 3) had to wait till 4:30 in the cold.

They call out by name..Collected all PP, OCI ensured no errors and came back.
Journey complete. Am exhausted...and relieved...BTW, OCI reached NY on 12/15 and I went today....please see the time frame for the process in my earlier posts...Don't have the energy to retype it. We are expecting our twins next year..The journey may be over for me and my wife (but still have to deal with this for two more in the near future). So I'll still be around...

BTW, I was shocked to see the way the visa guys handle the PP. It's shocking. I wouldn't trust them with any important document..All the best to everyone..Any questions/doubts..I'll answer to the best of my ability...

Congrutaltions.
will you mind posting your timeline and did you apply for SC/OCI together?

Today I received this email from consulate..
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

We acknowledge receipt of your OCI application(s). The Consulate has received a huge number of OCI applications and it will take longer than prescribed time to process your application(s). Please bear with us. We will get back to you in case any deficiencies are noticed.

Please check status of your application(s) after two months using your OCI application(s) reference number starting with USANI…….. on website: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp. Please do not contact OCI Cell before this period to enquire about status of your application(s).

In the meantime, if you have to travel to India, you may consider applying for visa.

OCI Cell

Consulate General of India
-------------------------------------------

Today I received this email from consulate..
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

We acknowledge receipt of your OCI application(s). The Consulate has received a huge number of OCI applications and it will take longer than prescribed time to process your application(s). Please bear with us. We will get back to you in case any deficiencies are noticed.

Please check status of your application(s) after two months using your OCI application(s) reference number starting with USANI…….. on website: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp. Please do not contact OCI Cell before this period to enquire about status of your application(s).

In the meantime, if you have to travel to India, you may consider applying for visa.

OCI Cell

Consulate General of India
-------------------------------------------

Great. At least they are sending emails.
Wait is the only solution here.
all the best.

Time frame

Time frame:

SC 9/23/10 (SC and OCI done separately)
OCI 10/18/10;
got an email from NYCGI that they recd it 10/22/10
Ack 11/22/10
Scanned 11/23/10
Granted 11/30/10
Printed 12/6/10 (Lucked out: I submitted white backgrd photos)
Dispatched 12/9/10
Reached NYCGI 12/15/10
Collected from NYCGI 12/17/10

Time frame:

SC 9/23/10 (SC and OCI done separately)
OCI 10/18/10;
got an email from NYCGI that they recd it 10/22/10
Ack 11/22/10
Scanned 11/23/10
Granted 11/30/10
Printed 12/6/10 (Lucked out: I submitted white backgrd photos)
Dispatched 12/9/10
Reached NYCGI 12/15/10
Collected from NYCGI 12/17/10

exectly 3 months. good for you.
thanks for sharing.

Thanks Emno

You should get your file acknowledged this week. I sent my application almost the same time frame as yours and I am hoping to get status update tomorrow. I am sure you will also get status update tomorrow.
It take minimum 2 weeks to get the file acknowlwdged.

You should get your file acknowledged this week. I sent my application almost the same time frame as yours and I am hoping to get status update tomorrow. I am sure you will also get status update tomorrow.
It take minimum 2 weeks to get the file acknowlwdged.

Will they send another email for the next status update ?

Emails are unique to New York. I did not get any emails from embassy.
The email looks to be generic and autogenerated.
So may be you will get another email.
My guess that your file will be acknowledged tomorrow, you may be able to ckeck the online status.
all the best.

No, you will not get any further emails. The CGINY only send an email acknowledging receiving your OCI package but after that you are supposed to follow the status of your application online.

Online Status Enquiry Changes

We must enter the US passport number to check the OCI status.

Before we can check any random numbers and could see how many acknowledged on a particular day.

I do not know why the website stopped that feature. May be for protecting identity and for security.

Lot of changes coming soon. I wonder what will happen 10 years from now.

No, you will not get any further emails. The CGINY only send an email acknowledging receiving your OCI package but after that you are supposed to follow the status of your application online.

Hi JPBoston,
How will I check my online status ? Will I be using my application number USAN**** and PP number ? I heard that once they acknowledge your application , they assign a different number and that number will be used for further inquiries.

Hi JPBoston,
How will I check my online status ? Will I be using my application number USAN**** and PP number ? I heard that once they acknowledge your application , they assign a different number and that number will be used for further inquiries.

rohilr, the OCI query site is here. Initially, you need your passport number and the USANI application number to check your OCI status. Once they acknowledge your application in the system, they also assign a File (or Acknowledgment) number to your status. After this happens, you can look up your OCI status with (1) your passport number and this Acknowledgment number **OR** (2) your passport number and the original USANI number like you did earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
rohilr, the OCI query site is here. Initially, you need your passport number and the USANI application number to check your OCI status. Once they acknowledge your application in the system, they also assign a File (or Acknowledgment) number to your status. After this happens, you can look up your OCI status with (1) your passport number and this Acknowledgment number **OR** (2) your passport number and the original USANI number like you did earlier.

there seem to be no update activity on teh OCI online status enquiry form. No one have posted any status update.
may be things will pick up after 1st.

there seem to be no update activity on teh OCI online status enquiry form. No one have posted any status update.
may be things will pick up after 1st.

Possibly forum posters are enjoying their holidays! Anyway I am waiting for my OCI to arrive in NY before posting my update. Essentially my OCI was granted, printed and has been dispatched from India (not yet arrived in NY) and all of this happened in just under two months (applied in early November).

Wife's oci

Hi,

Visiting the forum after 10 months for wife's OCI...
Just curious if there are any major changes to the documents, photos, or PP copy requiremnets from when I had applied?

2 separate proofs of address?
4 photos- light background?
photo copy of US visa? ---- IS THIS NEW?

Any other tips is really apprecaited...

Arjun

Hi,

Just curious if there are any major changes to the documents, photos, or PP copy requiremnets from when I had applied?

Arjun

I do not think there i any change in documents requirement.
Now in most cases PP photos taken at walgreens cvs are taken as it is.

Hi,

Arjun

I submitted two proofs of address even though they don't specifically ask for it. But I heard of people having problems because they only submitted one proof and so I didn't want to risk it.

For photos, I needed four -- two pasted on the two application forms and two additional photos in a separate envelope. I happily used this website: www.epassportphoto.com and for myself and my son, it totally costed 50 cents at our local CVS to get five passport photos each using this fantastic website. Yes, I just took photos with a light background (not light blue or any of that nonsense)

I think the visa page is a new requirement because I don't recall this earlier.

My and my son's OCIs have finally arrived in NY today and I am planning to finish the process via mail. I'm planning to submit the following things:

1. Cover letter
2. OCI status printouts for both my and my son's OCIs
3. US passports of myself and my son
4. USPS Express envelope
5. Prepaid USPS Express label for $18.30

I think that covers it but does anyone have anything to add?

My and my son's OCIs have finally arrived in NY today and I am planning to finish the process via mail. I'm planning to submit the following things:

1. Cover letter
2. OCI status printouts for both my and my son's OCIs
3. US passports of myself and my son
4. USPS Express envelope
5. Prepaid USPS Express label for $18.30

I think that covers it but does anyone have anything to add?

I'm in the same boat.. Mailed mine 2 days ago for stamping.
In addition to the above listed, below extras I included:
- Copy of surrender certificate for each passport
- Copy of the Indian passport: First, last page & pages where it was stamped as "Cancelled"

For (#5) in your list, the post-office suggested me to paste the $18.30 stamp (just one stamp) on the Express Mail envelope.
It was pasted on the "Affix postage stamp here" box on the envelope back cover flap. Also, pasted the From/To address label
on the envelope front.

Hope it helps..