OCI - New York Tracker

dr_rks, assuming you were an Indian citizen prior to becoming a USC, did you simultaneously apply for the Surrender Cert/passport cancellation along with OCI? If so, did you already get your Surrender Cert and canceled passport back?

I did not apply together as I was told by Dr Anju kumar at NYCG. I got my passport and SC back. Unfortunately, my $155 are still with them. I am among the unfortunates who applied between that cheating() period.

I was just planning to apply for OCI for self and family and i have couple of questions :
1) Do we really need self attestation of all the copies that we submit?
2)What exactly are they expecting for self attestation? Just my signature on all the copies?
3) Can i sign the copies of my family too (as the applicant)?
4) Should i send the $20 postage now or can we wait till oci is approved?

OCI and SC together?

Did anybody applied SC and OCI together? based on the website i sent my OCI application and SC documents in same mail with separate documents and money orders, however today i received a email saying that SC is missing and OCI is on hold. What is going on in Indian consulate? Appreciate any responses.

Received SC today

I was just planning to apply for OCI for self and family and i have couple of questions :
2)What exactly are they expecting for self attestation? Just my signature on all the copies?

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I've received SC today (after 5 weeks of applying for the same and repeated emails to cgny) and am planning to apply for OCI in the next couple of days.
misc_chic,
Based on the information I received from my friends (who just got OCI), here are the answers to your questions:
Yes. We have to write our name and sign on all copies, except on PIO copy of our child (if we have one). We need to get notarized copy of PIO. Just writing name and signing would be enough for you and your sons. Your spouse has to write name and sign on her copies.
Yes.
You will sign yours and your children's. Your spouse will have to sign hers.
- $20 postage should not be sent now. It should be sent after OCI approval. You will send this when you send your original US passports for OCI stamping. If you are planning to go to New York to collect OCI, then you would not need to send this $20 at all.

1. Yes
2. "THIS IS A TRUE COPY" signature and Date
3. Only minors (yes)
4. How far are you from NY Consulate ? I suggest you go pick it up yourself.

If Applying for OCI

Here is some information that may help those applying for the OCI.

Attached is a form with a table that was sent to us by the CGNY. This table lists the documents that are checked to verify the application package is complete. It would be so helpful if this table was on the indiacgny web-site.

Our application was returned to us in May, due to the SC requirement, and this form was included in the returned package. When resubmitting we made a copy for each member of the family, and checked all the documents that we sending. Our OCI was granted in June and we picked up the OCI cards from the consulate.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I've received SC today (after 5 weeks of applying for the same and repeated emails to cgny) and am planning to apply for OCI in the next couple of days.
misc_chic,
Based on the information I received from my friends (who just got OCI), here are the answers to your questions:
Yes. We have to write our name and sign on all copies, except on PIO copy of our child (if we have one). We need to get notarized copy of PIO. Just writing name and signing would be enough for you and your sons. Your spouse has to write name and sign on her copies.
Yes.
You will sign yours and your children's. Your spouse will have to sign hers.
- $20 postage should not be sent now. It should be sent after OCI approval. You will send this when you send your original US passports for OCI stamping. If you are planning to go to New York to collect OCI, then you would not need to send this $20 at all.

Congrats on getting the SC and thanks for the Reply to my concerns. Planning to apply in a day or two.

1. Yes
2. "THIS IS A TRUE COPY" signature and Date
3. Only minors (yes)
4. How far are you from NY Consulate ? I suggest you go pick it up yourself.

Thanks for the response. I live in NJ. So i'll travel to NY and collect the OCI's instead of sending the Passports thru mail.

Question regarding number of copies

Hi,
I'm applying for OCI and I'm done with online application and in the process of taking copies of all my documents.
I'm applying as a family. When I printed part-A & B through online application, it says "both sets must have original photos and signatures along with enclosures". And in the list of documents, it says I should attach two copies of passport for each applicant.
Does this mean I should get total of four copies of each passport? (I'll then apply this logic to all other documents as well!).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi,
I'm applying as a family. When I printed part-A & B through online application, it says "both sets must have original photos and signatures along with enclosures". And in the list of documents, it says I should attach two copies of passport for each applicant.
Does this mean I should get total of four copies of each passport? (I'll then apply this logic to all other documents as well!).

I applied for myself and my son as combined application. This is what our complete submission package that consisted of two application sets contained:

1. First application set:
- cover letter
- combined certified check for $550 (total for both me and my son)
- envelope with 2 additional passport photos of me (labeled the envelope with my name and USANI number)
- envelope with 2 additional passport photos of my son (labeled the envelope with my son's name and his USANI number)
- the completed application in original with photos stuck on them, my signature and son's thumbprint. This was four pages that I stapled together and this consisted of Part A for me+Part A for son+ Part B common for both of us.
- copy of my Indian passport pages (first three pages and last two pages with my parents' names on them)
- copy of my Naturalization Certificate.
- copy of my US passport picture/info page.
- copy of my US driver's license (proof of address).
- copy of my utility bill (as an additional proof of address because this was apparently a problem earlier ... they wanted two proofs of address. Go figure)
- copy of my son's US passport picture/info page.
- copy of my son's US birth certificate for proof of my son's relationship to me.
- second copy of my Indian passport pages as above for proof of my son's OCI eligibility through me.

2. Second application set:
- the completed application in original with photos stuck on them, my signature and son's thumbprint. (Again, Part A for me+Part A for son+ Part B common for both of us).
- copy of my Indian passport pages (first three pages and last two pages with my parents' names on them).
- copy of my Naturalization Certificate.
- copy of my US passport picture/info page.
- copy of my US driver's license (proof of address).
- copy of my utility bill (as an additional address proof).
- copy of my son's US passport picture/info page.
- copy of my son's US birth certificate for proof of my son's relationship to me.
- second copy of my Indian passport pages for proof of my son's OCI eligibility through me.

Things to note:
1. I did not include the Surrender Certificate because I don't have it. I had applied for SC/Indian passport cancellation simultaneously with this OCI application mailing as is permitted by the CGI-NY website info that hasn't changed for the last several weeks. I assume they have worked out some system between the two cells. Anyway, I just mentioned in the cover letter that I had done this and if they needed this info, to contact the Renunciation Cell. Let's see what happens with this.
2. I attached the cover letter, combined certified check and the two envelopes containing the extra passport photos to the first application set only. The second application set just had the completed application and supporting docs.
3. I self attested every single supporting document (i.e., photocopies) you attach. It is a pain but a necessity.
4. Also, I labeled all supporting docs that were for me with my name and the reason for it. Similarly I labeled supporting docs for my son with his name and the reason for it. So each of the two application sets had two separate copies of my Indian passport pages, one was labeled for me and the other labeled for my son. This was the only example where I submitted four copies of the same supporting document. All other supporting docs had just two copies (one copy for each application set)

Hope this helps.

JP

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI application requirements

Hi JP_Boston,
Thank you very much for these details. They are certainly useful. I'll put all the documentation together and apply tomorrow.
I remember you from N-400 forum as well, where you posted detailed good suggestions and feedback. Thanks again.

SC and OCI Together?

I think the SC and OCI together seems to be meant for a fresh OCI application. Even though this was the case for me, I applied for SC first as I did not want to take any chance of confusion and mishandling by SC and OCI cells. My time line so far is as follows:

6/28 mailed my SC application with 1975 expired passports
6/30 received by CGINY
7/9 fees processed
7/12 SC stamped and signed
7/19 SC and passports mailed back by Express mail
7/20 received SC and passports (no cancellation stamp) - 22 days
7/21 OCI application mailed with SC and other documents
7/22 received by CGINY
See now what happens!

Despite all my careful planning, I actually may have slightly screwed up on the OCI application. I see now on the OCI Info page that I needed to submit my wife's passport pages for my son as well. I went with what the cover letter checklist and the OCI - Steps to Apply info had said and these didn't mention that copy. This OCI Info page also said to submit the OCI application after getting the Surrender Certificate only. Which is very typical and confusing that they tell you something totally contradictory like you can apply for both together. Oh well, I will just see how they react to it and go from there. The adventure continues ...

Did anybody applied SC and OCI together? based on the website i sent my OCI application and SC documents in same mail with separate documents and money orders, however today i received a email saying that SC is missing and OCI is on hold. What is going on in Indian consulate? Appreciate any responses.

I'll let you know what I hear because I applied simultaneously because the website said you could do so. I wish I had known about this actually being an issue and I had posted a separate thread asking whether anyone had done this in NY but had not heard anyone complain. Anyway I had posted my SC/OCI combined application package before you posted this message. As usual, the idiocy continues in the CGI-NY and I just have no idea why they send such third rate people to run such an important consulate. They are just incapable of thinking things through clearly and post such confusing and contradictory information.

The guys who process the applications do not go through the website details, as usual one department does not talk to other in Indian govt. offices. They need to hire some professionals to do this job. The bunch of jokers running the Indian consulate in New York. If i go through the travel consultant they issues in a month, may be they deal with these people directly......If i don't hear from them in a week I may go to NY in worst case.

Kat999, how long after you mailed your combined SC/OCI apps did you hear back from the OCI folk? Your signature needs to be updated.