OCI - Houston Tracker

Good luck my man. Hopefully someone will reply.

As for me, I am just going to send in my passport to them and just be done with it.

I have already sent them return mailing payment of $20 with the O.C.I application packet, so that I, as well as my both of my parents as well as my younger brother ,could receive the 'U' Visa stickers as well as O.C.I cards / O.C.I booklets.

Do we just send the passport as soon as we see that the status has changed online or do we have to wait for any kind of confirmation before sending the passport? If i had sent $20 along with the OCI application, then does it mean i do not have to send anything more for them to mail back my passport with the 'U' sticker?

Any feedback from anybody who has done this before would be appreciated?

Good luck my man. Hopefully someone will reply.

As for me, I am just going to send in my passport to them and just be done with it.

I have already sent them return mailing payment of $20 with the O.C.I application packet, so that I, as well as my both of my parents as well as my younger brother ,could receive the 'U' Visa stickers as well as O.C.I cards / O.C.I booklets.

Do we just send the passport as soon as we see that the status has changed online or do we have to wait for any kind of confirmation before sending the passport? If i had sent $20 along with the OCI application, then does it mean i do not have to send anything more for them to mail back my passport with the 'U' sticker?

Any feedback from anybody who has done this before would be appreciated?

As far as I can see from my perspective, I am just going to send in my, as well as both of my parents, and my younger brother's passport to Consulate General of India - Houston as soon as I see that Consulate General of India - Houston has received my, as well as both of my parents and my younger brother's O.C.I booklet/ O.C.I card from New Delhi.

Of course, the website where I am going to check for the arrival of the O.C.I cards / O.C.I booklet(s) is non other than N.I.C website.

Here is the website, which I am sure by now you have seen it somewhere along the "under process" status of your O.C.I application: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

I hope others who already has done it will respond soon.

Anyways, please keep this forum updated as to what actions you took, and what were their results, and any comments as to how others should follow to get their 'U' Visa and the O.C.I booklet(s) / O.C.I card(s) from Consulate General of India - Houston without too much hassle when someone has already paid their return mailing fees.

good luck again if I have not already said it before.

I have mailed my passport.
Here is what I have included in the package
Cover Letter
OCI Status enquiry page
US Passport
Canceled Indian passport
Copy of Surrender Certificate
Money Order for $20

Cover Letter
OCI Status enquiry page
US Passport
Canceled Indian passport
Money Order for $20

Hello BAntony,
Why are you sending Canceled Indian Passport and Copy of Surrender Certificate again? Did you not send those when you applied?

Hello BAntony,
Why are you sending Canceled Indian Passport and Copy of Surrender Certificate again? Did you not send those when you applied?

I have included copies earlier. However, i did see some emails posted here from CGI Houston asking to send the cancelled passport. I haven't gotten any email. I just dont want them to send the package back because something wasn't there.. So I included everything possible..:)

*Update on my case*
Sent to Houston : 10 Dec 2010
Acknowledged : 25 Jan 2011
Granted : 20 July 2011
Printed : 21 July 2011

Not sure how many more days to get documents /printing;
I plan to go there to Houston to get stamp: Any idea when can i plan my trip to Houston for stamping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q.3265 VISA to NRIs

March 16, 2011

LOK SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.3265
TO BE ANSWERED ON 16.03.2011

SHRI P.L. PUNIA:

Will the Minister of EXTERNAL AFFAIRS be pleased to state:

(a) whether the Government has formulated a scheme to provide lifetime visa to the Non-Resident Indians;
(b) if so, the details thereof;
(c) whether PIO and OCI cards are likely to be merged in this scheme; and
(d) if so, the details thereof?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SMT. PRENEET KAUR)

(a) & (b) Yes. The Government has formulated ‘Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card’ which is issued to a foreign national (i) who was citizen of India any time after after 26th January, 1950 or (ii) who was eligible for citizenship of India on 26th January, 1950 or (iii) who is a citizen of another country, but belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947 or (iv) who is a child or grand child of such a citizen or (v) any person who is a minor child of a person mentioned in clauses (i) to (iv) above. No person who is or was a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may specify shall be eligible for OCI card. The holder of an OCI card is entitled to multiple-entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India and can take up studies, business, employment etc in India. The holder enjoys parity with Non-resident Indians in economic, financial and educational fields except for acquisition of agricultural land or plantation. The scheme is already in force.

(c) & (d) Yes. PIO and OCI cards will be merged with effect from 1st April, 2011. After merger, the holders of the two cards shall enjoy the same benefits and shall be subject to the same restrictions.

http://meaindia.nic.in/myprint.php?id=220217425&d=26&sz=c&m=&y=&pg=&flg=&searchdata1=
what do you guys think about this?

*Update on my case*
Sent to Houston : 10 Dec 2010
Acknowledged : 25 Jan 2011
Granted : 20 July 2011
Printed : 21 July 2011

Not sure how many more days to get documents /printing;
I plan to go there to Houston to get stamp: Any idea when can i plan my trip to Houston for stamping?

That is strange. I sent my application in November, it was acknowledged on Jan 25th like yours. However, my Granted status has not changed :-(

OCI Booklet and US passport with U Visa stamp recieved today..!!

Finally it is over. I have received the OCI booklet and US passport with U Visa stamp today. CGI Houston got my passport on 07/18/2011 and they send it back with OCI and U Visa on 07/20/2011 through FedEx and I got it today (07/21). Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions. Good luck to everyone waiting in line..!!!

Here is my complete timeline..

OCI Application Received at CGI Houston 09/09/2010
CGI Houston sent OCI applciation back 12/17/2010 (Asking for Surrender Certificate which they sent me a day before..!!!)
Resubmitted OCI application with Surrender Certificate on 12/21/2010
OCI Application acknowledged and photo scanned 12/23/2010
OCI Granted 06/27/2011
OCI Documents Printed 07/02/2011
OCI Documents Despatched From India 07/11/2011
OCI Documents Received at Houston 07/15/2011
US passport sent to CGI Houston through FedEx 07/16/2011
US passport received by CGI Houston on 07/18/2011
OCI and US passport sent back by CGI Houston through FedEx on 07/20/2011
OCI booklet and US passport recieved 07/21/2011

Cover Letter
OCI Status enquiry page
US Passport
Canceled Indian passport
Money Order for $20

BAntony,

Did you not send $20 when you sent your OCI application? Do we have to send $20 again, to get the passport back (stamped)?

Thanks

No I didnt include the $20 when I initially sent the application. If you have already paid the mailing fee, i dont think you have to pay it again.

Has any one on this forum ever applied for O.C.I Miscellaneous Services after TRAVISA started to come in the picture of handling of the O.C.I applications?

My confusion arises from the Consulate General of India - Houston.

Here what it states:

The application can be submitted to the Consulate's outsourcing agency, M/s Travisa Outsourcing on their website www.travisaoci.com.

now am I supposed to interpret the Consulate's website instruction as:

1. I, as an applicant, must send in my application to TRAVISA, and they will send it off to Consulate.

OR

2. I, as an applicant, have a choice as to whether or not I want send in the applications DIRECTLY to Consulate, or go through TRAVISA, and drop a toll ( karcha pani of the TRAVISA agency ) every time for every applicant.

I just want to transfer the 'U' Visa onto the new fresh passport as well as get the new O.C.I card before I make my next trip, which as of yet there is no plan, but in about next 5 years there will be something coming up and I need to be ready just in case.

Done with the OCI saga (10+ months).. Here is my story..

Documents were received at Houston on 7/15/2011.
I had a trip planned for India..I thought I will personally drive down to Houston (from Dallas) and get it over with instead of dealing with CGI mailing the stamped passports. Went to Houston on Friday 7/22/2011. Was at the consulate by 10.15 AM and there were about 10 people in line (3+ counters but one open with a printout hanging "passport services"). I joined the line and stood for 2 minutes when the lady at the counter called "anyone here for OCI".... I was really hoping for the worst but 9 out of the 10 people in line moved forward to the counter. The consulate lady simply said "give me your passport and come back at 4 to pickup"......I thought wtf, no verification, no cancelled Indian passport .... reluctantly gave 3 passports for my family and left.....not feeling comfortable and the thought of Saturday looming (if something goes wrong), I went back to the counter and asked if she wants to see the status page from NIC or the cancelled passport or the renunciation certificate. She simply replied "no we don't need anything". Came back to the consulate at around 4.15 PM....surprised there are only one or two people hanging around but two counters opened. Went back to the same lady and politely told her that I am here to pickup the passport and she motioned me to move the next counter. The lady at the next counter asked for my last name and pulled the passports along with 3 other booklets (OCI). She opened the visa page and said "this is valid lifelong...pointing to the word" and also asked me to carry a zerox copy of the cancelled passport along with OCI book since you never know what might be asked at the port of entry (go figure....her exact words). Took the passports, quickly verified if everything was OK and left Houston thinking what an ordeal...glad it is over (drove almost 12 hrs for a 2 min wait in line at the consulate).

On an other note, my brother who has the same time line as me mailed the passport via fedex on wednesday (7/20/11) and received his docs back today (7/25/11). Amazing for a two working day turnaround by CGI Houston (I now regret my drive :)). So seems to me that at least the stamping part has become efficient (BAntony timelines are the pretty much the same).

For all those waiting....hang in there..your turn is near..and good luck.

Apologize for the lengthy post...

Mine shows the same...

Anyone know if I can drive down to Houston myself on Monday and get the Passport Stamped? Do my wife & kid need to be present or can I have it done for all three of us?

Grant Date:06/28/2011 <<<< 6 months from ack
Print Date :07/02/2011
Received at Houston: 7/15/2011
Picked up at Houston: 7/22/2011 (10+ months)

@webxplore,
Thanks for posting.

webxplore​
26th July 2011, 12:58 AM​

Done with the OCI saga (10+ months).. Here is my story..

Documents were received at Houston on 7/15/2011.
I had a trip planned for India..I thought I will personally drive down to Houston (from Dallas) and get it over with instead of dealing with CGI mailing the stamped passports. Went to Houston on Friday 7/22/2011. Was at the consulate by 10.15 AM and there were about 10 people in line (3+ counters but one open with a printout hanging "passport services"). I joined the line and stood for 2 minutes when the lady at the counter called "anyone here for OCI".... I was really hoping for the worst but 9 out of the 10 people in line moved forward to the counter. The consulate lady simply said "give me your passport and come back at 4 to pickup"......I thought wtf, no verification, no cancelled Indian passport .... reluctantly gave 3 passports for my family and left.....not feeling comfortable and the thought of Saturday looming (if something goes wrong), I went back to the counter and asked if she wants to see the status page from NIC or the cancelled passport or the renunciation certificate. She simply replied "no we don't need anything". Came back to the consulate at around 4.15 PM....surprised there are only one or two people hanging around but two counters opened. Went back to the same lady and politely told her that I am here to pickup the passport and she motioned me to move the next counter. The lady at the next counter asked for my last name and pulled the passports along with 3 other booklets (OCI). She opened the visa page and said "this is valid lifelong...pointing to the word" and also asked me to carry a zerox copy of the cancelled passport along with OCI book since you never know what might be asked at the port of entry (go figure....her exact words). Took the passports, quickly verified if everything was OK and left Houston thinking what an ordeal...glad it is over (drove almost 12 hrs for a 2 min wait in line at the consulate).

On an other note, my brother who has the same time line as me mailed the passport via fedex on wednesday (7/20/11) and received his docs back today (7/25/11). Amazing for a two working day turnaround by CGI Houston (I now regret my drive ). So seems to me that at least the stamping part has become efficient (BAntony timelines are the pretty much the same).

For all those waiting....hang in there..your turn is near..and good luck.

Apologize for the lengthy post...

Quote Originally Posted by webxplore View Post
Mine shows the same...

Anyone know if I can drive down to Houston myself on Monday and get the Passport Stamped? Do my wife & kid need to be present or can I have it done for all three of us?
Grant Date:06/28/2011 <<<< 6 months from ack
Print Date :07/02/2011
Received at Houston: 7/15/2011
Picked up at Houston: 7/22/2011 (10+ months)

Last edited by webxplore; 26th July 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Has any one on this forum ever applied for O.C.I Miscellaneous Services after TRAVISA started to come in the picture of handling of the O.C.I applications?

My confusion arises from the Consulate General of India - Houston's O.C.I section of the website.

Here what it states:

The application can be submitted to the Consulate's outsourcing agency, M/s Travisa Outsourcing on their website www.travisaoci.com.

1. I, as an applicant, must send in my application to TRAVISA, and they will send it off to Consulate.

OR

2. I, as an applicant, have a choice as to whether or not I want send in the applications DIRECTLY to Consulate, or go through TRAVISA, and drop a toll ( karcha pani of the TRAVISA agency ) every time for every applicant.

I just want to transfer the 'U' Visa onto the new fresh passport as well as get the new O.C.I card before I make my next trip, which as of yet there is no plan, but in about next 5 years there will be something coming up and I need to be ready just in case.

Matter of days. You will get it anytime. I am following their time frame. 6 months from ack date

Finally, there is some change in my status. Now Registration and printing status has been changed to Granted and printed respectively. Let's see how long it takes now. It's not over yet for me as my daughter's passport is expiring on August 7th. I've been calling them and emailing them about that for last one month to no avail. I've no idea what's going to happen now.

If I understand it correct (http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIMisc.html), you must send it to Travisa. While I was in Houston, I have seen notices hanging on walls indicating that Travisa is handling all OCI stuff.

My confusion arises from the Consulate General of India - Houston's O.C.I section of the website.

Here what it states:

OR

Folks, I'm on last stage now. My documents have been sent to Houston from Delhi. What's the next step? Will I be getting some kind of email from Houston to send my Passports for stamping or just monitor the status site and send passports once it says documents have arrived in Houston? Thanks!

Finally, there is some change in my status. Now Registration and printing status has been changed to Granted and printed respectively. Let's see how long it takes now. It's not over yet for me as my daughter's passport is expiring on August 7th. I've been calling them and emailing them about that for last one month to no avail. I've no idea what's going to happen now.