OCI - Houston Tracker

Need help with application for surrender certificate

per CGIHOUSTON.org we need to submit
a) renunciation application, 2 copies
b) original Indian passport
c) copy of US passport
d) copy of naturalization certificate
e) $20 money order, if US citizenship was acquired on or before 31st May 2010 (else $175)

Need help with following questions
a) my OCI is approved and documents are sent to Houston. To get the OCI cert and US passport stamped, is SC must?

b) cgihouston.org website does not ask of return envelop or money order for return postage, however one of the website (immihelp.com) mentions sending additional $20 for return postage. Those with experience please share, if they sent return envelop and/or $20 for return postage to get the SC cert and cancelled Indian Passport back?.

c) My minor daughter, got her US passport (and hence US citizenship) based on our (self and wife) naturalization. She does not have her naturalization certificate of her own, yet. Does Indian Govt/Consulate will accept copies of our naturalization certificate, in lieu of her naturalization certificate and copy of her US passport?

d) cghouston.org does not mention the address for sending the renunciation application. Please confirm the address is
THREE POST OAK CENTRAL
1990, POST OAK BOULEVARD SUITE 600
HOUSTON,TX-77056

e) Is there a website, where one can check the status of surrender certificate or one just needs to wait and watch?

g) Can one walk in Houston consulate and get the SC done in same day?

a) Yes. SC is must for U-Visa, OCI Cert, PIO card process and even for Entry Visa.

b) $20 return mailing fee is when you sent Renun application alone, as they would have to send your cancelled passport and certificate back. In your case, you are sending US passports also for U-Visa stamping and If you already paid the return maling fee as part of OCI process, you may not require to send again, as they can use one envelope to send both your american and cancelled indian passports back.

c) check with OCI boss calling 713-626-3154

d) I would suggest, send everything to OCI dept attn, they will take care of Renun process before they stamp U-Visa.

e) there is nothing to keep track. wait and watch

g) as per as what I was told, you can't get an SC on same day. You can only apply at counter but you can't get it approved.

Though all this might correct, I would ask all these questions, when you call the guy at above given number.

Need help with application for surrender certificate

per CGIHOUSTON.org we need to submit
a) renunciation application, 2 copies
b) original Indian passport
c) copy of US passport
d) copy of naturalization certificate
e) $20 money order, if US citizenship was acquired on or before 31st May 2010 (else $175)

Need help with following questions
a) my OCI is approved and documents are sent to Houston. To get the OCI cert and US passport stamped, is SC must?

b) cgihouston.org website does not ask of return envelop or money order for return postage, however one of the website (immihelp.com) mentions sending additional $20 for return postage. Those with experience please share, if they sent return envelop and/or $20 for return postage to get the SC cert and cancelled Indian Passport back?.

c) My minor daughter, got her US passport (and hence US citizenship) based on our (self and wife) naturalization. She does not have her naturalization certificate of her own, yet. Does Indian Govt/Consulate will accept copies of our naturalization certificate, in lieu of her naturalization certificate and copy of her US passport?

d) cghouston.org does not mention the address for sending the renunciation application. Please confirm the address is
THREE POST OAK CENTRAL
1990, POST OAK BOULEVARD SUITE 600
HOUSTON,TX-77056

e) Is there a website, where one can check the status of surrender certificate or one just needs to wait and watch?

g) Can one walk in Houston consulate and get the SC done in same day?

Thanks Vinnu.

I am concerned that if I send the renunciation application and US passports together to Houston, for SC and U-visa ... it may take long time (e.g. 2 -3 months) for approvals .. as in your case.

I would rather do this sequentially.

I'll call the number you mentioned and seek clarification on my daughter's case.

Thanks again.

Thanks redforgreen.

I heard, when you apply together (incase of VISA, PIO etc) it is better. Ofcourse, you cannot apply together with OCI. best bet would be talk to OCI boss (in the above given number) and follow what he says.

Does anyone know how to contact Houston consulate?
I have applied for my OCI card in Houston .. in Aug
But still no correspondence from them.
I have booked tickets for travekl to India in 3 weeks..
what can I do now>

Did you apply after you received your surrender certificate ? It is very tough to contact them. I posted their direct contact number. Please verify.

Does anyone know how to contact Houston consulate?
I have applied for my OCI card in Houston .. in Aug
But still no correspondence from them.
I have booked tickets for travekl to India in 3 weeks..
what can I do now>

Last edited by a moderator:
done, 168 days total

picked up from houston office yesterday

Acknowledged: 5/10/10
Photos Scanned: 5/13/10
Granted: 10/13/2010
Documents Printed: 10/14/2010
Documents Dispatched: 10/20/2010
Documents Received at HOUSTON:10/25/2010

Dear redforgreen,

I was in the same situation as you and just sent the renunciation app plus the US passports to get the U-visa stamp all together. Just mailed it yesterday, keeping my fingers crossed that I get back soon!! Did you find out anything different? Please respond.

Thanks!

OCI application for me & my 2 kids Granted and Document printed but still under process for My Wife

I applied for OCI for all 4 of us together. Seems like in case of me and 2 of my kids OCI has been granted and Document Printed.

But for my wife it still says "underprocess"

What should I do?

Any inputs appreciated....

--shahid

Finally after 5 months...

:D Finally the OCI applications of all our family members including mine got granted.

FYI... I haven't applied for the surrender certificate yet for me and my spouse.

Can anyone let me know what needs to be done next. Send all of our US passports and the Indian Passport to CGI Houston along with a covering letter that has the OCI reference number?

BTW even though I signed up for the email notification, I haven't received any email regarding my approval. I randomly checked today and found our application got approved.:mad:

Here is the status below
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-MAY-2010
Registration Status Granted On 21-OCT-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 27-OCT-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 29-OCT-2010
Documents Received at HOUSTON On 02-NOV-2010

Hello,

Anyone know how long does it take to get Indian Visa? I applied for Visa on Sept 27 and consulate received it on Oct 4th (as per Travisa online status) and since then no updates. I am going to India on Nov 12th, is there any chance to get visa by then? This is at Houston Consulate.

Anyone experienced this delay?

THanks

Last week I spoke to the lady at Houston office for OCI application processing, she mentioned it's taking 6-8 months for those who applied for OCI in October.

As per Consul D.K.Sharma at Houston, we got to apply for SC first and upon approval apply for OCI.

I applied my OCI in the 1st week of OCT and now the status is Photo Scanned.

Hello,

Anyone know how long does it take to get Indian Visa? I applied for Visa on Sept 27 and consulate received it on Oct 4th (as per Travisa online status) and since then no updates. I am going to India on Nov 12th, is there any chance to get visa by then? This is at Houston Consulate.

Anyone experienced this delay?

THanks

As pert he Travisa web site the Indian visa is taking at least 3 weeks. You should receive your visa by now. If you don't get it by now, please call them or take an in person appointment since your travel date close by. I applied for my wife on 10/26/2010 (Houston received date), since then no updates (but its reasonable). In your case its more than 3 weeks, so you may want to act fast.

Surrender Certificate application along with other documents for OCI stamp.

sgsnathan and liveandletlive, you guys applied for Surrender certificate also along with OCI ? I applied in June and mine got returned as I was told to apply once I get surr cert. Though my surr cert is in process, they don't want to wait untill then

Vinnu, I didn't apply for Surrender Certificate along with OCI. But I sent that application along with my US Passport and Indian Passport and other things like $20 etc. last week. Hopefully they won't hold on to all of that for a few months as I would like to go to India in January. To confirm the above, I called and waited for a while before speaking to a lady at the Houston Consulate. She said to just send all the above along with the US Passports for OCI as my OCI is already at CGI Houston. I will update if and when I get them back!

Vinnu, I didn't apply for Surrender Certificate along with OCI. But I sent that application along with my US Passport and Indian Passport and other things like $20 etc. last week. Hopefully they won't hold on to all of that for a few months as I would like to go to India in January. To confirm the above, I called and waited for a while before speaking to a lady at the Houston Consulate. She said to just send all the above along with the US Passports for OCI as my OCI is already at CGI Houston. I will update if and when I get them back!

I received my US passport with the OCI booklet and the U visa stamp on Thursday (11/4). No word on the Indian passport or the Surrender Certificate. I am assuming that since I already got the OCI, I won't worry about it anymore. But looks like they don't care too much about this from my experience. Maybe they will send my cancelled Indian passport and SC later. Either way, I am preparing for my trip to India in a couple of months. Good luck to you all!

Vinnu

When did you apply for the SC? I sent the SC application on 17-Sep. I have not received the SC till now. There is no response to the emails so far.

Thanks

OCI granted, done. What about Renunciation cert

Hi all, i already posted this in a new thread, asking the same again in Houston thread, since my process was done here.

Date of USC: July 2008
Date of US Passport issuing: Aug 2008
India Passport expired: Aug 2009
Applied for OCI: May3rd 2010
OCI approved: OCT 15th 2010
OCI U sticker affixed at Houston: Nov 5th 2010

My question: My India passport was NOT cancelled nor i do have my Surrender certificate, never filed for one. I saw in this forum that many OCI applications were sent back because they didn't apply for Surrender Certificate at first. But mine was never sent back and was approved.

When we went there for affixing the U sticker last week, thought that they may ask for it, but none, they took US passport, gave back in the evening with the new U sticker.

Do i still need to get a cancellation stamp my expired India passport? or the Surrender certificate?
Should i go back and file for a Surrender certificate? Only problem is i do not have a copy of my US Nat'l Certificate.

Or should i stop worrying, sit back and relax with my US passport and a U visa affixed on it?

Sorry edited my post, changed renunciation certificate to surrender certificate, though may have confused you.