OCI - Houston Tracker

Did you apply for SC as well ?

Vellabadu, Did you apply for surrender certificate also ? that might be on the one taking longer at consulate and until then travisa not going to issue entry visa for you.

post more details..plz

We have applied for OCI back in August and we still did not get it. So we applied for Entry Visa in October and its been more than 4 weeks, we still didn't hear anything. The latest status says, the documents have been submitted to the Indian consulate. We purchased tickets to India to travel on December 3rd. It looks like we are not going to get the visa. Based on the current situation I don't think we will get the entry visa anytime soon. So here are my questions.

1. Can we fly to Houston from Atlanta directly and request the Indian consulate to grant entry visa?
2. Do I need to take an appointment (I tried to take a personal appointment, but I couldn't find it).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I shouldn't buy the tickets until we get the visa in our hands, but we have to go to India to attend my brother-in-law's marriage.

Thanks

Vellabadu, Did you apply for surrender certificate also ? that might be on the one taking longer at consulate and until then travisa not going to issue entry visa for you.

post more details..plz

Hi Vinnu,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I just applied visa for my wife only, my son has PIO and I have OCI. My wife already traveled to India once on entry visa. So when we applied entry visa in October 2009, they canceled her Indian passport (they have a stamp in her Indian passport and it says "Passport Canceled on acquisition of foreign citizenship"). Since she got citizenship before May 31st, 2010 and she has cancellation stamp, we never applied for her surrender certificate. I don't think we need to apply for surrender certificate. Do you think this is still an issue? Also we already applied her OCI and the latest status is "Photos scanned on September 24"). If surrender certificate is the issue, then they should have raised that when we applied for OCI.

It's been nightmare with Houston Indian consulate.

P.S: My friend also applied for entry visa for his family, their U.S born daughter got the visa in one day but the parents are in the same boat as mine. And the consulate is not going to send his daughter's passport until the parents get entry visa.

OCI Still Pending - Entry Visa Approved

This information is for the folks waiting for OCI but their travel is coming soon and looking for entry visa.

I applied OCI for my wife in August and the latest status is: Photo/Signature Scanned on 24-SEP-2010

So we applied for entry visa (we booked tickets for December 3rd) and it is just approved today and here is the time line:
10/24/2010 11:21pm CST India visa application completed online
10/26/2010 12:02pm CST India visa application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
11/03/2010 3:13pm CST Passport and supporting documents received, payment processed.
11/03/2010 5:09pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
11/04/2010 8:37am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
11/04/2010 9:47am CST Documents received by Consulate
11/19/2010 9:28am CST Outsourcing office has verified the visa is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.

We are expecting to receive the passport back to us on Monday. I will keep you posted. We were planning to fly to Houston on Nov 28th (since we are flying on December 3rd) if we don't get the visa by then. But luckily we got it approved. It seems there is no guarantee that the entry visa will be received on time. It seems they have a lot of applications pending in Houston to approve (just for visas).

Hope this will help.

sunks, Did you get the SC or are you still waiting? When did you exactly apply? I applied on 17-Sep and am still waiting.

Can any one provide the phone number and/or email address for Houston CGI that they have used to successfully track status for SC. I have applied for SC about 75 days back and has not got it so far. Not able to get status by any means. Started getting worried now. Any help!!!

Thanks
Sunks

Thanks sunks. Houston consulate does not answer calls or reply to emails. Do you check if your cashiers check or money order has been cashed? Maybe that will give a clue that they have opened the mail. I will check mine at the bank next week.

Not yet. I am still waiting. Applied on 25th Aug.

Hello friends,
Looks like there is some progress in Houston. Here are my timeline. I wanted to know what will be the next step in this process.
OCI App by USPS Mail - 5/22/10
App Acknowledged - 5/26/10
Photo scanned - 5/26/10
Registration Status - Granted - 10/26/2010
Document Printing Status - PRINTED
Document Printed On 11/04/2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 11/08/2010
Documents Received at Houston 11/10/2010

Hello Friends,
Looks like there is some progress in Houston. Below given is my timeline. I wanted to know what will be the next step in this OCI process.

Photo scanned - 5/26/10

Hello Friends,
Looks like there is some progress in Houston. Below given is my timeline. I wanted to know what will be the next step in this OCI process.

Photo scanned - 5/26/10

my question is what were you doing for last 18 days ?

Please visit your consulate website and click on overseas citizenship of india on the left, your question is answered. If i were you i would visit the Consulate and collect OCI in person.

Finally...

Finally got all of our US Passports back with U Visa stamping/OCI cards.:eek:

I also applied for the SC in the same mail along with my US Passport (for U Visa) but I didn't receive the SC and our cancelled Indian Passports yet. May be two months from now I guess. Does anyone has any time frame for SC from CGI Houston?

wife application is not even acknowledged after 100 days

Its been close to three and half months since we (me and my wife) sent our application for OCI to houston consulate.

So far my wife application is not even acknowledged on the "status check" page. its been more than 100 days. We even got the surrender cert for wife. We sent one money order for me (PIO2OCI $25 + OCI $275 = $300+20 for mailing)., they cashed it around the time my application acknowledgement date. And with OCI application we enclosed copy of surrender certificate issued by houston, along with copy of old houston_cancelled indian wife passport. Whats happening here.

Any one in similar situation, please share what you are going thru.

My application (I am the main applicant) and it was acknowledged Late September 2010,
but no movement. I understand that it is taking longer than usual.

Please share your experience with houston OCI process.

The thing that bothers me most, being the IT giant of the world, houston should be able to atleast indicate which month OCIapplication the consulate processing, on their webpage. No email responses I heard on this group. No phone call replies. THis is the least, Houston can show that what stage the applications are acknowledging. Even the houston link

http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

says that the applications are taking 12 weeks to process, we all know thats not true.

Please share your experience regarding spouse application.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the information. Is SC necessary when traveling to India?
Since I got the OCI and U Visa, I should be able to travel anytime without waiting for SC correct?

Also to everyone's surprise, I got a reply email back from Houston CGI when I enquired about my OCI status last week that too within 30 minutes with the status. Can you believe? I pinched myself 4 times.

Thanks for the information. Is SC necessary when traveling to India?
Since I got the OCI and U Visa, I should be able to travel anytime without waiting for SC correct?

Also to everyone's surprise, I got a reply email back from Houston CGI when I enquired about my OCI status last week that too within 30 minutes with the status. Can you believe? I pinched myself 4 times.

Congrats.

I just printed the OCI Application and need you help with couple of questions

1) I filled and printed the forms A and B. But did not down load certificates, prior to that. What is "Download Certificate" Means?
2) For my son, I had to submit the form second time since i wrote the date of birth wrongly. So second time, I got a new number. is this OK? What happens to the first Form?

Thanks

Palrk

Your old Indian passports, Birth Certificates, Copy of naturalization certificates, copy of US passport, Driver License copy, Fees, Filled Forms in duplicate copy. I remember notarizing some document

Has anyone seen the below link? It is a petition about poor service by the consulate

www_DOT_petitiononline_DOT_com/CGISFOKP/petition_DOT_html

(was not allowing me to place url, replace _DOT_ with .)

I don't see any date on it. Is this a recent petition? Anyway please sign it.

Are there other authorities/groups who can take up this seriously and help us overcome our frustrations?

Palrk

Your old Indian passports, Birth Certificates, Copy of naturalization certificates, copy of US passport, Driver License copy, Fees, Filled Forms in duplicate copy. I remember notarizing some document

I do not think you need birth certificate if your kid is born in India.