OCI - Houston Tracker

Going to Houston

Guys, online status for my app says the docs have reached Houston on 14-AUG-2009 (checked an hour ago)

I would like to go there personally to get the papers. Anyone who done it personally, please let me know their experience.

Also, any Houstonian please help me with directions from/to airport & indian consulate.

Guys, online status for my app says the docs have reached Houston on 14-AUG-2009 (checked an hour ago)

I would like to go there personally to get the papers. Anyone who done it personally, please let me know their experience.

Also, any Houstonian please help me with directions from/to airport & indian consulate.

I was there to collect OCI for my spouse 2 yrs ago. It is good that you are making the trip as soon as they got your docs back. So misplacing excuse can be ruled out.

From my experience:
Take a print out of online status message.
Passport (Indian and US)
Be there by the time they open at 10 AM.
Take the number (it is tucked into the corner..you can not see it unless u look for it)
Drop the Passports (takes less than 2 minutes if you are first in the Q)
You can go and have fun in the city. Google for Pavani in Houston. Nice Indian restaurant with large buffet.
Come back to consulate around 3:30 or so as there will be a line for collecting passports.
They're supposed to open window for OCI collection around 4.
Don't be surprised if they're late by 15-30 mins. Common practice. I've seen people banging on the windows asking them to open as they're late by 30 mins...and people have to head out to beat evening traffic.
And also don't be surprised if they open some other window than the one marked with OCI passport collection. People had to literally run from Q to the other window. The person last in the Q might see them opening the other window and could reach there first. Happens all the time. Very confused people out there.

Make sure you check the passports thoroughly before leaving. The visa sticker's name/dates might be out of alignment. Normal. Nothing to worry. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there to collect OCI for my spouse 2 yrs ago. It is good that you are making the trip as soon as they got your docs back. So misplacing excuse can be ruled out.

From my experience:
Take a print out of online status message.
Passport (Indian and US)
Be there by the time they open at 10 AM.
Take the number (it is tucked into the corner..you can not see it unless u look for it)
Drop the Passports (takes less than 2 minutes if you are first in the Q)
You can go and have fun in the city. Google for Pavani in Houston. Nice Indian restaurant with large buffet.
Come back to consulate around 3:30 or so as there will be a line for collecting passports.
They're supposed to open window for OCI collection around 4.
Don't be surprised if they're late by 15-30 mins. Common practice. I've seen people banging on the windows asking them to open as they're late by 30 mins...and people have to head out to beat evening traffic.
And also don't be surprised if they open some other window than the one marked with OCI passport collection. People had to literally run from Q to the other window. The person last in the Q might see them opening the other window and could reach there first. Happens all the time. Very confused people out there.

Make sure you check the passports thoroughly before leaving. The visa sticker's name/dates might be out of alignment. Normal. Nothing to worry. :D
Dude ... you are the best. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I am taking the first flight which is supposed to reach the hobby airport around 8:15 am so hopefully I can reach the consulate by 10AM.

I called the consulate this evening and the lady told me they are open by 9AM to 12:30PM but you are saying 10AM ... but of course I believe you than the receptionist lady.

Is parking freely available nearby?

Dude ... you are the best. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I am taking the first flight which is supposed to reach the hobby airport around 8:15 am so hopefully I can reach the consulate by 10AM.

I called the consulate this evening and the lady told me they are open by 9AM to 12:30PM but you are saying 10AM ... but of course I believe you than the receptionist lady.

Is parking freely available nearby?

I know they were open at 9 AM when I went couple of times before. But before posting the reply, I checked their website..it says 10 AM - 12:30 PM

And also, one can collect the passports and OCI starting at 3 PM...now the website says...collect at 4 PM...check with them in the morning when you drop your passports about the time to collect in the evening.

Consular Counter Timings

Submission of documents: 10.00 am to 12.30 pm (Monday thru Friday)
Token will be issued upto noon only.
Delivery of documents: 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm (Monday thru Friday)

Anyway, Hobby is little far away to the consulate than Bush Intercontinental ..anyway..I guess it is too late...or may be you're flying Southwest.....Hobby is the hub for SouthWest.

Finally its over ;)

I know they were open at 9 AM when I went couple of times before. But before posting the reply, I checked their website..it says 10 AM - 12:30 PM

And also, one can collect the passports and OCI starting at 3 PM...now the website says...collect at 4 PM...check with them in the morning when you drop your passports about the time to collect in the evening.

Consular Counter Timings

Submission of documents: 10.00 am to 12.30 pm (Monday thru Friday)
Token will be issued upto noon only.
Delivery of documents: 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm (Monday thru Friday)

Anyway, Hobby is little far away to the consulate than Bush Intercontinental ..anyway..I guess it is too late...or may be you're flying Southwest.....Hobby is the hub for SouthWest.
Thanks for the info milky boy.

Finally its over ;) I collected the OCI this morning. I went to the consulate around 9:30AM and luckily I was the first one there. The token machine is broke (or taken off from operation since they are not doing visas in person anymore). There is one window open and at first she rudely asked me to wait until called but the next second she asked me if I came to collect OCI. When I said yes, she asked me to drop the passports and comeback at 4PM. I politely requested if I can collect immediately since I came from out of town. She called the OCI lady and to my surprise the OCI lady kindly obliged my request and gave the OCI booklet and visa sticker within 5 minutes. I was out of the consulate building by 9:45PM. Very very pleasant experience for me :) The first 30 minute parking is free in that building so I didn't even need to pay for the parking ;) ;)

By the way I checked goole maps .... hobby airport is about 18miles and the other airport is about 28miles so I chose hobby ... and never took SouthWest in my life they don't serve the city I live :)

Registered and received OCI account numbers (USAH**): 21 July 2009
Documents dispatched to Houston Consulate: 24 July 2009
Date Of Acknowledgment: 13 Aug 2009
Photo/Signature Scanned: 14 Aug 2009

Guys:

Got my OCI card as well. Rather quick one!
Citizenship Interview Date: 7/20 7:30 AM
Interview - 7/20. Showed up at 7:25 and completed the interview process by 7:55.
Oath date - 7/20
Applied Passport in person at Dallas Passport Agency - 7/21
Passport received - 7/21
OCI applied (in person @ Houston) - 7/22
Visitor visa for India applied and approved -7/23
OCI Applied in person (They don't encourage inperson application. So Please avoid in future) - 7/21
OCI Acknowledged - 7/23
Photo Scanned - 7/25
OCI Granted - 8/5
Documents Printed - 8/6
Documents Dispatched to Houston - 8/7
Documents received in Houston - 8/11
U Visa Stamped on Passport and received OCI book - 8/17

--

Signature Updated below.

My OCI processing is done. Will be collecting my OCI next week on 9/3/09.

All the OCI processing done in less than a month since the mailing the app to Houston. Looks like those morons are learning to heed the customer's complaints or may be getting earful from the Govt of India.

Signing off from Immigrationportal for now. I've been addicted to the forum. Now have to dedicate myself to other important things.

Signature Updated below.

My OCI processing is done. Will be collecting my OCI next week on 9/3/09.

All the OCI processing done in less than a month since the mailing the app to Houston. Looks like those morons are learning to heed the customer's complaints or may be getting earful from the Govt of India.

Signing off from Immigrationportal for now. I've been addicted to the forum. Now have to dedicate myself to other important things.
Congrats!

Go to the consulate before 9:30am and tell them that you are from out of town ... they will give your oci within 5-10 min if the oci lady (I think her name is subhashini) is in good mood :)

Good luck!

Application help

Guys please help

a) I'm trying to apply OCI for me,spouse, 2 kids. Should the fee then be 275(Fee) + 275(Fee) + 25(PIO Person) + 25(PIO Person) + 20(Mail fee). Also would it be enough to send 1 postal order for the combined amount or do we need separate orders.

b) How many photographs are really needed. Two pasted on the 2 sets of part A. Apart from that is it 2 more photos attached to the application.

The following is from OCI houston photo guideline. It says affixing and then pasted what are they talking about. How many is really needed for a person.

"The completed application form (Part A & Part B) along with supporting documents must be submitted in duplicate (two sets) by mail to the Consulate. Besides affixing photographs on the application forms, the applicant must submit Four (4) colour Photographs (size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm), taken against a light colour background. Two ofthem should be pasted on application(original and duplicate) and two stapled with the application."

In the clarification section it says totally 4 so please share how much you guys sent.

c) Self Attestation: What is needed for this? is this just signature or some wording and should we do this on all the photocopy pages. Please clarify. Also for kids do I attest ?

Guys please help

a) I'm trying to apply OCI for me,spouse, 2 kids. Should the fee then be 275(Fee) + 275(Fee) + 25(PIO Person) + 25(PIO Person) + 20(Mail fee). Also would it be enough to send 1 postal order for the combined amount or do we need separate orders.

b) How many photographs are really needed. Two pasted on the 2 sets of part A. Apart from that is it 2 more photos attached to the application.

The following is from OCI houston photo guideline. It says affixing and then pasted what are they talking about. How many is really needed for a person.

"The completed application form (Part A & Part B) along with supporting documents must be submitted in duplicate (two sets) by mail to the Consulate. Besides affixing photographs on the application forms, the applicant must submit Four (4) colour Photographs (size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm), taken against a light colour background. Two ofthem should be pasted on application(original and duplicate) and two stapled with the application."

In the clarification section it says totally 4 so please share how much you guys sent.

c) Self Attestation: What is needed for this? is this just signature or some wording and should we do this on all the photocopy pages. Please clarify. Also for kids do I attest ?

a) one cashier's check or money order for all of you is OK. Also do NOT send $20 mailing fee now ... you can send that when you collect your oci. At that time, you can either send a self-addressed prepaid envelope OR the $20.

b) Total four photographs for each person is OK. Each app gets two, one photo affixed to it and another spare one (do NOT staple the photos with the apps eventhough they wrote that in instructions ... just use a paper clip)

c) write "Certified to be a true copy of the original" and sign and date each page of the photocopies you include as evidence of eligibility. You can do the same for your kids.

I sent a pre-paid, self addressed FedEx envelope to collect the OCI card and U-Visa from the Huston Consulate. I didn't send the $20 money order as listed on the website. Will this be an issue? Does anybody have any experience in such situation.

Thanks in advance.

Applied for OCI

Thanks ksam for your inputs.

Applied for OCI for me and my spouse + 2 kids. Delivery confirmation by USPS on 09/04/2009. Lets see how long it takes to see acknowledgment in the tracker now.

OCI Applied (received in houston): 09/04/2009

OCI Acknowledged

Interesting enough the status site shows all our application as acknowledged on 09/11/2009. So they have acknowledged in 7 days or receipt.

OCI Acknowledged : 09/11/2009

OCI App Photo/Signature Scanned

OCI Acknowledged : 09/11/2009
OCI Photo/Signature Scaned: 09/12/2009

I finally received the OCI booklet and the U-visa stamped on the US passport via the self addressed, pre-paid envelope sent by me with the passports initially.

Application Sent with correct photo: 10 Aug 2009
Acknowledgment: 13 Aug 2009
Photo Scanned: 14 Aug 2009
Registration Granted: 27 Aug 2009
Documents Printed: 27 Aug 2009
Documents dispatched from Delhi: 28 Aug 2009
Documents received in Huston: 1 Sep 2009
US/Indian Passports delivered to Huston: 3 Sep 2009
Email from Indian Consulate regarding the OCI approval: 7 Sep 2009
US/Indian Passports received with OCI booklet and U-Visa from Huston: 11 Sep 2009

I sent a pre-paid, self addressed FedEx envelope to collect the OCI card and U-Visa from the Huston Consulate. I didn't send the $20 money order as listed on the website. Will this be an issue? Does anybody have any experience in such situation.

Thanks in advance.

OCI collection : mail or in person ?

I applied for OCI at the Houston Consulate and the status has now changed to "Received at consulate". Now I need to send my passports for getting the OCI card.

- Is it safe to send passports over Fedex ?
- How long would the processing time be to get the passports + OCI card back once I have sent in the passports ?
- Any experience/recommendations

I live about 4+ hours away from consulate and hence wondering whether to go in person or just mail.

dallasindian06,

I used FedEx to send the passports to the Huston Consulate and also sent the pre-paid, self addressed FedEx envelope. My passports were delivered on 3rd Sep and I received the passports with U-Visa and the OCI booklet on 11 Sep 2009.

Huston Consulate usually send the passports with in two weeks of it's receiving the passports.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck to you.

OCI granted

OCI status turned granted & Printed today

Mailed and received in Houston on 09/04/09
Date of Acknowledgement on 09/11/09
Date Photo/Signature Scanned on 09/12/09
OCI Granted on 09/30/09
OCI Printed on 09/30/09

OCI Question Urgent

Hi, I have question regarding an OCI application.
In filling up the form oline what information should I fill for "Nationality", should I enter the country I accquired the new citizenship for or should I enter India?
And same for the Passport Details: Indian passport details or country I accquired the new citizenship for?

Please reply to this request?