OCI - Houston Tracker

Folks, when the interviewer asked me to sign the picture at interview time - she asked me that I could do a signature or just write my name. I wrote my name, since though she did not say, she seemed to prefer that. Now on my Naturalization Certificate I had to match those signs, so again I wrote my name on the certificate. The lady in the oath room seemed to prefer that approach too [of course, any signatures needed to be the same between picture and certificate). Now my question is - does it need to be the same on the passport again ? seems weird just writing my name in bold, otherwise no problems... any suggestions ? Also, am assuming the same shd match the OCI as well...

Sing the passport and the OCI with the regular signature you use.

I had the same situation like you mentioned. I did use a curvasive signature on my citizenship certificate. However for the passport and the OCI i signed them using my regualar signature.

Just got the US Passport in the mail today

OCI applied and mailed the documents to Houston right away today 8/4/09.

My OCI documents were delivered to the Houston consulate on July 27 and I have no acknowledgment yet to date. I see other individuals whose documents were delivered after 27 and still have acknowledgment and scanning done. Is it time to escalate this matter and start calling the consulate or the consulate be given more time.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion in advance.

OCI Application - Lost File (Acknowledgment) No and the Online Registration No

Hello Everyone,

I filed the online OCI application for my daughter a few months back and mailed it with the appropriate documents & fee to CGI Houston. Unfortunately, I cannot check the status of the application online because I have lost the "File (Acknowledgment) No" and the "Online Registration No" for the application. I sent an email to CGI Houston but have not received any response.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to check the status?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I filed the online OCI application for my daughter a few months back and mailed it with the appropriate documents & fee to CGI Houston. Unfortunately, I cannot check the status of the application online because I have lost the "File (Acknowledgment) No" and the "Online Registration No" for the application. I sent an email to CGI Houston but have not received any response.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to check the status?

Thanks!

The only thing I can suggest is the brute force method... Assuming you filled in the online application in 2009, your online reg. # would be of the format USAHInnnnn09. Start with USAHI0000109 and keep incrementing the portion in red by 1 till you see your daughter's name. Good luck.

My final update:

Received cancelled Indian Passports and cancelled PIO cards for Kids.

08/06/09: Passports received by Fedex Overnight
07/29/09: Passports mailed to Houston
07/28/09: Docs arrived at Houston
07/24/09: Dispatched (All 4)
07/23/09: Scanned, Granted, Printed (for remaining 1) Checked at 8:30 PM CST on07/22/09
07/22/09: Printed (3 out of 4) Checked at 7:30 AM CST on 7/22/09
07/22/09: Granted (3 out of 4) Checked at 5:55 PM CST on 7/21/09
07/07/09: Mailed 2 new Part-A for 1
07/01/09: Scanned (3 out of 4) and I checked at 3:15 PM CST on 6/30/09
06/24/09: Acknowledged and I checked at 11 PM CST on 6/23/09
06/22/09: Mail delivered at Houston
06/19/09: Mailed Completed OCI package to Houston by USPS Priority Mail
06/18/09: OCI Online registration

PM me your email id and I can give you some numbers acknowledged on 5/27, 6/3, 6/4, 6/9, 6/10, 6/12, 6/17 and 6/19. This will give you the starting point.

Did you verify with your bank (Cashiers Check) or USPS (Money order)?

Latest Status update - for all 4 of our family.
======================================

The final journey is over - We are done with US & INDIAN immigration related processes.

Good Luck to you all!!!

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-JUN-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 18-JUN-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 21-JUL-2009
Registration Status Granted On 21-JUL-2009
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 22-JUL-2009
Documents Received at HOUSTON On 24-JUL-2009.
Mailed US/INDIAN Passorts, PIO Card to Houston on 25-Jul-09 Via Priority mail
All Passports/OCI documents Received from Houston 08/06/09 - DONE DEAL

PM me your email id and I can give you some numbers acknowledged on 5/27, 6/3, 6/4, 6/9, 6/10, 6/12, 6/17 and 6/19. This will give you the starting point.

Did you verify with your bank (Cashiers Check) or USPS (Money order)?

We had actually filed and sent the application in Feb. In June, we had received a letter from CGI Houston requesting additional photographs, which were promptly mailed (I have confirmed via USPS that they were received). So, I know that they have received the application as well and yes, I have also verified with USPS that the money order was encashed.
Thanks

Our (me and my wife's) completed OCI application was received at Huston Consulate on 27 July 2009. There has been no acknowledgment yet from the consulate office. When I filled the part A - (Online) I put her family name before the marriage as it my wife had carried her family name on all legal documents (driver license, etc.) till she got her US citizenship, when she really changed her last name to my last name. When I was completing the part B, I put a cross for her earlier family name and wrote down her new family name.

Does anybody has any experience regarding such cases? Will it take longer for us to get the OCI? Is there any thing that we can do to expedite the process as many individuals who sent application after 27 July already have an acknowledgment from the Huston consulate?

Thanks in advance.

orl,

My wife last name also got changed to my last name during naturalization process, in OCI form and I put only her new last name but I enclosed our copy of marriage certificate and a covering letter explaining about this. My initial on-line status change took normal time, but once the photos were scanned it took month+ to change the status to "granted". I also thought initially the delay is due to my wife's last name change but the total process took 6+ weeks and I don't think that was the case though.

Thanks,
Why-R

Last edited by a moderator:
Our (me and my wife's) completed OCI application was received at Huston Consulate on 27 July 2009. There has been no acknowledgment yet from the consulate office. When I filled the part A - (Online) I put her family name before the marriage as it my wife had carried her family name on all legal documents (driver license, etc.) till she got her US citizenship, when she really changed her last name to my last name. When I was completing the part B, I put a cross for her earlier family name and wrote down her new family name.

Does anybody has any experience regarding such cases? Will it take longer for us to get the OCI? Is there any thing that we can do to expedite the process as many individuals who sent application after 27 July already have an acknowledgment from the Huston consulate?

Thanks in advance.
ORL, I mailed my application about 10 days back too, havent got any acknowledgement - I did not have a name change. I guess, the consulate is running slow, unless someone else can advise how to check acknowledgement other than going to the web site with the registration #...

ORL, I mailed my application about 10 days back too, havent got any acknowledgement - I did not have a name change. I guess, the consulate is running slow, unless someone else can advise how to check acknowledgement other than going to the web site with the registration #...

Thats the typical nature of Indian consulate. The Houston consulate (infact, all others too) is manned by bunch of lazy clowns. You can not predict them by tracking anytime lines here on the forum. They're highly unpredictable.

Their mailroom is total mess...there is no order when they open the packages that we send....they get shouted by frustrated customers every day...(atleast thats what happened for 2 times I've been there...and some of my friends experienced the same)....they know very well that if they open the package and acknowledge, they have to finish the OCI processing in 30 business days. Thats why they just dump the mail ...and open slowly....a typical Indian Govt office mentality.....LAZY clowns....once they acknowledge, the processing moves quickly...not that they do any work..it is all done in India...

Don't get any expectations from them on quick acknowledgment....they will have to open the package eventually..it could happen in a day or 2-3 weeks...no guarantees...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the typical nature of Indian consulate. The Houston consulate (infact, all others too) is manned by bunch of lazy clowns. You can not predict them by tracking anytime lines here on the forum. They're highly unpredictable.

Their mailroom is total mess...there is no order when they open the packages that we send....they get shouted by frustrated customers every day...(atleast thats what happened for 2 times I've been there...and some of my friends experienced the same)....they know very well that if they open the package and acknowledge, they have to finish the OCI processing in 30 business days. Thats why they just dump the mail ...and open slowly....a typical Indian Govt office mentality.....LAZY clowns....once they acknowledge, the processing moves quickly...not that they do any work..it is all done in India...

Don't get any expectations from them on quick acknowledgment....they will have to open the package eventually..it could happen in a day or 2-3 weeks...no guarantees...
my app was acknowledged within 2 days of receipt ... may be I got lucky there ...

thats why I want to go there to get the stamp on my passport instead of sending my passport by mail.

does anyone know for sure Aug 14th (this friday) is a holiday for them? Aug15th falls on Saturday and I am thinking they will take the previous day as holiday but their website does not say that ....

my app was acknowledged within 2 days of receipt ... may be I got lucky there ...

thats why I want to go there to get the stamp on my passport instead of sending my passport by mail.

does anyone know for sure Aug 14th (this friday) is a holiday for them? Aug15th falls on Saturday and I am thinking they will take the previous day as holiday but their website does not say that ....

They always misplace the passports/oci docs etc...very common practice at Houston consulate...so it is always better to go in person..and collect..thats what I did with my spouse OCI.....but one of my friends had a very bad experience even when went personally...they lost his OCI that came from India...they couldn't find it...asked him to come the following week...a 240 mile one way trip from Dallas......he was just pissed off...and shouted at them...along with few others who had similar issues on that day.......guess what...the shoutings worked....they scavenged their mailroom...for few hours...and then found his OCI booklet....

I had similar experience one time...they did not send my renewed passport for 2 months....after I tried several ways to contact them...noone picks up the phone...phone busy..voice mail boxes full...no replies to emails......I was so pissed off....faxed a letter to India Govt, Houston COnsulate at the same time...with the all the crap that they're playing against us.....within few hours of that fax...I had my passport overnighted by Fedex....which was issued weeks ago..but they just dumped it in their mailroom...

Anyway,If the website says they're open..they should be....but don't trust them...just call and confirm...

The only thing I can suggest is the brute force method... Assuming you filled in the online application in 2009, your online reg. # would be of the format USAHInnnnn09. Start with USAHI0000109 and keep incrementing the portion in red by 1 till you see your daughter's name. Good luck.

It took me a while, but finally found the record using the brute force method :). Luckily for me, the application was filed at the beginning of the year.

within couple of hours of my last posting here...my file has been acknowledged ...with a date of 8/12/09.

well, the shoutings did work this time too (whether in person or here on the forum in e-shouts :D:D )

within couple of hours of my last posting here...my file has been acknowledged ...with a date of 8/12/09.

well, the shoutings did work this time too (whether in person or here on the forum in e-shouts :D:D )
Looks like you are not a happy camper with Houston consulate.

So far I have had positive results from them (renewed my passport twice, got kid's pio, etc) though they take their own sweet time sending the things back. This time, I want to make a trip to India next week or so and that's why I don't want to take a chance mailing my passports.

Anyways, I just called them and got hold of the receptionist and she told me that they are open on 14th august. When I mentioned about August 15th falling on Saturday she just chuckled and told me they are working on the previous day (which is Friday)... just FYI..

here is my update

sent to houston oci app 16th june 2009
file acknowledgment 19th june 2009
photo scanned 25th july had to resend photo and birth cert
registration grant 6th August 2009
document printed on 6th august
document dispatch to houston on 7th august 2009
document received at houston 11th auguston
mailed passport and poi card to houston on 11th august 2009

will inform when I get my passport back with oci card and stamp

so far so good