Update.

OCI app mailed - 08/02/2008
Delivered - 08/04/2008
Acknowledged - 09/06/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned 9/30/8
Documents Printed On 12/3/08
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 12/5/08
Documents Received at HOUSTON On 12/8/08
Mailed PP for stamping 12/12/08 (Recd at Houston)
Awaiting return of PP from Houston.

Tan

Friends,

Our OCI status shows that it was PRINTED and GRANTED. Should I mail all the Passports to Houston to get stamped and OCI booklets? Or do I have to wait for them to write to me about it?

Another question, if I send it by Fedex, do I have to attach monies for it to be sent to me by Fedex? Or what we had paid them the Fedex fee is what they will use to return all the 4 passports?

Your answers will be appreciated since no one seems to pick-up the phone in Houston, no matter when one calls.

Regards, v

Friends,

Our OCI status shows that it was PRINTED and GRANTED. Should I mail all the Passports to Houston to get stamped and OCI booklets? Or do I have to wait for them to write to me about it?

Another question, if I send it by Fedex, do I have to attach monies for it to be sent to me by Fedex? Or what we had paid them the Fedex fee is what they will use to return all the 4 passports?

Your answers will be appreciated since no one seems to pick-up the phone in Houston, no matter when one calls.

Regards, v

No, wait until the status shows that your docs have been received at Houston - after that you don't have to wait for any other communication. Did you send $20 and self-addressed envelope with your application (see, from Houston web site: An additional amount of US$ 20 towards return mailing charges should also be sent along with a self-addressed envelope accompanying the application)? If not, send the same with your passports - they will use that to send your passports back. You can send your passport via FedEx or any other track-able mechanism.

Guys,

Help please.
Mailed passports to houston on 12/15/08 along with status printout.
No passports yet. Any idea how long houston takes to mail passports back?

Tried calling all phone # listed on webpage. No response.
Worried and frustrating related to passports.

Tan
Delivered - 08/04/2008
Awaiting return of PP from Houston.

Misplaced online regn number

Friends,

This is for another friend of mine who applied for an OCI but forgot to save his online registration number. When he calls Houston, they are always so busy that they do not bother picking up.

Is there any other way to figure out the status of his application? Any guidance would be appreciated.

thanks, v

Are there any forms / cover letter to be sent with US Passports when the "Documents are received"?
(Mine just got dispatched today 12/24. Trying to get the package ready to be sent in a few days)

Date Of Acknowledgment : 10-OCT-2008
Photo/Signature : Scanned On 15-OCT-2008
Registration Status : Granted On 23-DEC-2008
Documents Printed On : 23-DEC-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on : 24-DEC-2008
Documents Received at HOUSTON NOT YET

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any forms / cover letter to be sent with US Passports when the "Documents are received"?
(Mine just got dispatched today 12/24. Trying to get the package ready to be sent in a few days)

Date Of Acknowledgment : 10-OCT-2008
Photo/Signature : Scanned On 15-OCT-2008
Registration Status : Granted On 23-DEC-2008
Documents Printed On : 23-DEC-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on : 24-DEC-2008
Documents Received at HOUSTON NOT YET

You may use the attached template - change the content within <>s to suit to your situation.

Guys,

Done with OCI.
Received my passport with OCI booklet today via fedex.
I called Houston CGI on Wed right at 2 pm and talked with a representative.
I guess they answer phones only between 2-4 pm at Houston CGI.
Response was PP are within time frame. I should receive PP next week.

I forgot to mail a return envelope with my passports(followed OCI checklist for houston and in the checklist there was no mention about return envelope) but what a surprise Houston CGI mailed my pp via fedex.

All the best.
Tan

Delivered - 08/04/2008
Received PP from Houston 12/26/08

Houston OCI Experience

Completed OCI process. Sent passport in. Passport received OCI sticker. US Passport (with OCI Visa) and OCI book were returned. However, neither were signed or stamped.

Tried calling consulate. No response. So retun sent US passport and OCI book for consular signature on OCI visa - US passport and in OCI book. Has been already 1.5 months. No response or reply. No replies to emails either.

Anyone with similar experience?

What should I do?

Do I have to travel to Houston. All in all very sloppy work by the consulate. Did not do the only thing entrusted to them as part of the process.

Thanks.

Update on my OCI status

Hello Friends,

Finally I found my correct application number (I was searching with the missing digit in my application number) and I thought I will update in the forum.

OCI Application Mailed: 09/11/2008
Date of Acknowledgment: 11/07/2008
Registration Status: Under Process
Photos/Signature scanned: 11/11/2008
Documents printing status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at HOUSTON: NOT YET

Last edited by a moderator:
URGENT Please HELP

Hello Memebers,

I got everything approved for my OCI and online status mentions Docs received at Houston. I need to go to India urgently in Jan and am wondering how long will it take Houston consulate to send me the OCI once I send them my passport and other documents?

Another important question:

I lost my old Indian passport, which expired in 2001 itself. When Houston consulate asked me about it after my initial OCI application, I sent them a letter stating the fact that I lost my old Indian passport and only have a photocopy of that. So I had sent them that photocopy. Now they approved my OCI, and since they ask for original Indian expired/current passport along with US passport, what should I do. I am mentioning in the cover letter the same thing that I lost my Indian expired passport when I was young. I will include again a photocopy of that passport. Will this be sufficient?

Can someone PLEASE reply. I am in an urgent situation and need to go to India. Thank you.

My timeline at Houston:

11/12/08 - OCI app-India/Houston
12/16/08 - Acknowledged
12/24/08 - Scanned
??? - Granted
??? - Printed
??? - Dispatched
??? - Recd at Houston
??? - Passports mailed
??? - OCI received

So, it looks like CGI Houston is taking around couple of months to grant OCI after scanning. Am I correct in assuming that? If so, I guess I can expect the grant sometime in the later part of Feb as my application was scanned in the last week of Dec.

Does anyone know anybody in my situation. I mailed my passport but no Indian passport since I lost it and could only provide a photocopy of that long ago expired indian passport.

Will I get the OCI and booklet despite having lost the Indian passport? Does anyone know what happens in this situation, please post. Thanks.

Does anyone know anybody in my situation. I mailed my passport but no Indian passport since I lost it and could only provide a photocopy of that long ago expired indian passport.

Will I get the OCI and booklet despite having lost the Indian passport? Does anyone know what happens in this situation, please post. Thanks.

When I applied for OCI in Dec. 2007, I could never find my last Indian passport (issued more than 10 years earlier, hence obviously expired). I did find an older expired Indian passport whose copies I used to successfully get my OCI card and visa. I didn't send any Indian passport when I sent my US passport for final processing and no questions were asked. This was at SFO consulate, though.

Hi... I see my OCI is approved & documents received at Houston.
Now what documents should I send to consulate?
When I got the visa, my indian passport is cancelled, do i need to send that?
Where to send these documents? should i write something on envelop to let them know, it is not application, just a oci visa stamping?
Your input is appriciated.
Thanks