OCI - Houston Tracker

Oci done deal

STATUS UPDATE

My timeline at Houston:

11/12/2008 - OCI app-India/Houston (Delivery Date)
12/16/2008 - Acknowledged
12/24/2008 - Scanned
01/21/2009 - Granted
01/21/2009 - Printed
01/22/2009 - Dispatched
01/28/2009 - Recd at Houston
01/30/2009 - In-person visit to Houston (OCI stamp/registration received)

I am done. The visit was pretty painless. I got my documents in couple of minutes. I was extremely leery of sending my original passports in the mail (US passport would have been easy to replace, but there is no way the consulate would have given me a "cancelled replacement" Indian passport if it got lost). Thanks and best of luck to all waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received U.S Passport and OCI booklet in the mail

I am done with my OCI process. I received the U.S passport, OCI booklet and cancelled Indian passports (2) in the mail today. It's been a long journey and I am done for now.

I wish all the best for everybody waiting for their OCI. Be patient and hope for the best.

OCI Application Mailed: 09/11/2008
Date of Acknowledgment: 11/07/2008
Registration Status: Granted on 01/01/2009
Photos/Signature scanned: 11/11/2008
Documents printing status: Printed
Documents Printed On: 01/02/2009
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 01/05/2009
Documents Received at HOUSTON: 01/08/2009
Mailed Passports: 01/09/2009
Received Passports and OCI Booklet: 01/30/2009

I am done with my OCI process. I received the U.S passport, OCI booklet and cancelled Indian passports (2) in the mail today. It's been a long journey and I am done for now.

I wish all the best for everybody waiting for their OCI. Be patient and hope for the best.

OCI Application Mailed: 09/11/2008
Date of Acknowledgment: 11/07/2008
Registration Status: Granted on 01/01/2009
Photos/Signature scanned: 11/11/2008
Documents printing status: Printed
Documents Printed On: 01/02/2009
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 01/05/2009
Documents Received at HOUSTON: 01/08/2009
Mailed Passports: 01/09/2009
Received Passports and OCI Booklet: 01/30/2009

My Status is "Granted"
I mailed my passports on 1/8/2009 (received at Houston on 1/9).
I have still not received my passports back in Tampa (as of 2/6/09).
Can't get hold of anyone at the consulate. Once I got the operator but not at all helpful! All she says is "you'll get it when it is processed!..." No ETA / guidance. Couldn't speak with anyone from OCI Department :mad:

OCI application status USAHI

I sent my OCI application to Houston on Nov 5th and i have not heard anything yet. I tried calling Houston several times and could not succeed in reaching any one. I emailed Houston several times and did not get any reply. I need to go to India within a month. What are my options?

Also, when i filled my online application, i got a USAHI number. But all the application i can find in the houston website states USAH0 number. What is the difference. I am a bit concerned about this?

Any reply would be appreciated.

I sent my OCI application to Houston on Nov 5th and i have not heard anything yet. I tried calling Houston several times and could not succeed in reaching any one. I emailed Houston several times and did not get any reply. I need to go to India within a month. What are my options?

Also, when i filled my online application, i got a USAHI number. But all the application i can find in the houston website states USAH0 number. What is the difference. I am a bit concerned about this?

Any reply would be appreciated.

USAHInnnnnyy (where nnnnn is a 5-digit number and yy is the year) is the online registration number whereas USAH0nnnnnyy is the File (Acknowledgment) No.

If you don't see your application acknowledged yet at http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp using the USAHI# from your online application (in the second box), getting a tourist visa may be your only option if you want to visit India in a month.

OCI; Houston Applications

Mr A K Garg was optimistic that at least an acknowledgement would come fro Houston in three months.
As I stated earlier I sent two applications to Houston in the same envelop which was received by them on 10 October 2008. Still no acknowledgement. E-mail to Houston remains unanswered where I have provided details of the person receiving the envelop with date and time as well as the money order numbers.
What does one do?:confused:

Thanks AKGarg and Samirdas. I believe AKGarg is right in that i have to apply for a tourist visa for now. I will look into it.

Samirdas - Hang on. This is probably the last time we have to deal with Indian Consulate. They do not want to work. Unlike the rest of the world, those who work at Indian Consulate feel they deserve to be paid for not working or under working. They do not have any accountability and they are just plain thieves (any one who wants to get paid for not working (or underworking) are thieves in my mind).

I called Houston consulate hundreds of times with no answer. One time (only once), somebody picked the phone and told me it is a private number and not to disturb. Yes, i went thru the several options and chose OCI option and they told me it is somebody's residence number and not to disturb. It was a lady's voice with strong Indian accent.

My Status is "Granted"
I mailed my passports on 1/8/2009 (received at Houston on 1/9).
I have still not received my passports back in Tampa (as of 2/6/09).
Can't get hold of anyone at the consulate. Once I got the operator but not at all helpful! All she says is "you'll get it when it is processed!..." No ETA / guidance. Couldn't speak with anyone from OCI Department :mad:

I finally received my US Passports and OCI cards back on 02/11/09.
Have a quick question - I did not receive cancelled Indian Passports. Was I supposed to receive cancelled passports back ?

OCI Forum, Here is my info. Good luck with your OCI!!!:)

OCI Application Mailed: 10/16/2008
Date of Acknowledgment: 12/03/2008
Registration Status: Granted on 01/16/2009
Photos/Signature scanned: 12/04/2008
Documents printing status: Printed on 01/17/2009
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office - 01/19/2009
Docs Received by Houston 01/22/2009
Passports mailed to Houston 1/27/2009
Received passports & OCI on 2/11/2009

I finally received my US Passports and OCI cards back on 02/11/09.
Have a quick question - I did not receive cancelled Indian Passports. Was I supposed to receive cancelled passports back ?

I am not sure why they didn't send your cancelled passports. I received my cancelled passports along with OCI and U.S passport. But I don't think you have to worry now as you are not going to use the Indian passports anymore.
Congratulations on your OCI :)

Suggestion to VKT555

I went through same situation. All of our applications were granted and only one printed. I tried to reach consulate and found that they don't have any information. After waiting for two months, I sent in new applications with fresh pictures. I didn't sent all the necessary copies again. Now after a month my status is put back to acknowledged and with in three days they are printed. I expect with in a week they will be in Huston.

Hope this helps.

I went through same situation. All of our applications were granted and only one printed. I tried to reach consulate and found that they don't have any information. After waiting for two months, I sent in new applications with fresh pictures. I didn't sent all the necessary copies again. Now after a month my status is put back to acknowledged and with in three days they are printed. I expect with in a week they will be in Huston.

Hope this helps.

leapord1: A couple of questions:

- Did you also send application fee again? (I hope not!)

- Was resending of the application something that they suggested?

Thanks.

Leopard1,

I am in the same situation. My oci is granted and despatched but both my sons oci is granted but not printed. I can send new application with new photos but i really do not want to send the fee again. can you please clarify what papers you sent and did you send the fee again.

thanks

Answers to realnewbie, gtumin

I tried calling Houston office and no one lifted phone. I told my friend, living in Houston to enquire. He called in the same number and they told him that they didn't get any requests from New Delhi. So, they told us to wait until we hear from Consulate.

Fnally I sent fresh application with a cover letter explaning the situation, Completed part A with photo & sign, Completed part B. I didn't sent fees and any other copies.

I didn't get response from Houston office, exactly after a month our status got refreshed with Acknowledgement date. In next two days granted and printed.

I am not sure why they didn't send your cancelled passports. I received my cancelled passports along with OCI and U.S passport. But I don't think you have to worry now as you are not going to use the Indian passports anymore.
Congratulations on your OCI :)

Thanks for a quick response! You're right... I am not worried as much, but this was just strange!:confused:

Status changing back and forth

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I am seeing a pattern somewhat similar to yours but then the weird things happen.

On 02/12 the status was showing the following
Date of Acknowledgement: 05-FEB-2009 [ orginal date was 06-Nov-2008]
Registration Status: Granted on 11-FEB-2009

so I was hoping that the next step would be print and dispatch, however on 02/13 it again went back to in progress !!!!

Date of Acknowledgement: 13-FEB-2009
Registration Status: Under Process

is it 4 or 5 photos for houston cgi/oci

can someone clarify :
is it 4 or 5 photos for houston cgi for applying for oci.
on the houston website it says 4 but in the sticky for houston oic it says 5.

The completed application form (Part A & Part B) along with supporting documents must be submitted in duplicate (two sets) by mail to the Consulate. Besides affixing photographs on the application forms, the applicant must submit Four (4) colour Photographs (size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm), taken against a light colour background. Two ofthem should be pasted on application(original and duplicate) and two stapled with the application.

from the sticky :
5. Photographs - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on the 2 copies of Part A, and 3 in a small envelope
6. Cover letter
7. Fees - $275 per applicant in money order or cashier's check made payable to Consulate General of India, Houston
8. Mailing fees - $20 for the family group - in money order or cashier's check

I got my passport at last, the lost my return envelope and after catching the operator online she explained what might have happened.

Instead of going to houston, send another envelope (express envelope) on priority mail, got the passports within a week.
Just pre-paid express envelope, letter to tell them to reply back.

update on my process...it is not 26th here in Texas yet...but 26th in India
OCI Application Mailed: 2/2/2009
Date of Acknowledgment: 2/26/2009