Application Status

Registration Status Granted On 14-MAY-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-MAY-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 14-MAY-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 15-MAY-2008
Documents Received at HOUSTON On 21-MAY-2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, dayyam! Send in your passports and get them back with the OCI card + stamping asap.

Are you planning a trip to India this summer?

Docs received at Houston :)

Date Of Acknowledgment 29-APR-2008
Registration Status Granted On 14-MAY-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-MAY-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 14-MAY-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 15-MAY-2008
Documents Received at HOUSTON 21-MAY-2008

Will send passports today. It used to take 3 weeks to get passport back. Hope it is faster now as without US passport, if there is an emergency travel, we will be in trouble.

When it moves, it really moves!!

Congratulations, N400Atl !! You will probably get your passports back in a week's time.

So, this part of the journey is over for you.

You are a US citizen, with entry privileges to nearly 130 (out of 194) countries in the world!! And, now with the OCI visa/card, you have multiple-type, multiple-entry, lifetime entry/stay privileges in India.

Time to celebrate!! :)

I mailed my application on Apt 4th also but have not seen acknowledgement.

I applied for my son's oci on same date. Unfortunately I didn't note down web application number. I am in total dark to what is going on with the application. M. nuev can you please update your status regularly? Or at least once it is acknowledged?

thanks in advance
s_a_kumar

When it moves, it really moves!!

Congratulations, N400Atl !! You will probably get your passports back in a week's time.

So, this part of the journey is over for you.

You are a US citizen, with entry privileges to nearly 130 (out of 194) countries in the world!! And, now with the OCI visa/card, you have multiple-type, multiple-entry, lifetime entry/stay privileges in India.

Time to celebrate!! :)

Thanks :) though I will hold celebrations until I receive correctly stamped US passport and cancelled Indian passport back. This is the most scary step in OCI since now my US (and Indian) passports are not with me.

It used to take 10-15 business days to get the U visa stamped so I am guessing 3 weeks before I can get that. I would love to get it back in a week though :)

s_a_kumar,

yes. I will keep posting my application status regularly.

My timeline is as follows:

Application mailed on 04/04/08
Application recipt at Consulate / Houston 04/07/08

As of 05/22/08 my application has not been acknowledged.

cool hack!

Here is a cool hack for finding out which files are being worked on now, I came across in the Chicago tracker thread.

Original Post by akgarg. Edited version below:
Go to http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
and enter USAH00XXXX08, and start with the middle digits of your file number in place of XXXX and keep going backwards (keep the 00 in the beginning and 08 at the end fixed and substitute XXXX with numbers like 2607, 2606, 2605, etc.) to see which files are where.
Hope this helps.

So, accordingly as of today, these two Acknowledge numbers should serve as milestones USAH00237008(Docs received in Houston) and USAH00270008(Scanned).

Nred

So according to the above hack and my Ack. No. there are, in queue, roughly 1200 people who are waiting for papers to arrive in Houston and about 800 who are waiting for pictures to be scanned ahead of me.

And the gap between these two is about 2 weeks.
So is is safe to assume that they are moving about 400 files a week?

Nred

PS-Yes I had a lot of free time and i was bored.:confused:

So according to the above hack and my Ack. No. there are, in queue, roughly 1200 people who are waiting for papers to arrive in Houston and about 800 who are waiting for pictures to be scanned ahead of me.

And the gap between these two is about 2 weeks.
So is is safe to assume that they are moving about 400 files a week?

Nred

PS-Yes I had a lot of free time and i was bored.:confused:

Well, they are moving about by that many numbers. Remember you can (and some people do) submit the app, generate the number but do not use that number as they made mistake in the app. Then resubmit the app and get new number. Old number now is not associated with anybody.

Also I have seen them do ack and scan in a bunch. Meaning nothing happens for few weeks, then numbers move by a large difference.

Dear N400Atl,

You would be right if I was referring to Online registration number (which you can create as many as you want), but I am going by the File Acknowledgement number. This number is only given when the file is at the consulate and only when they start working on it. How can a user generate this number? Also note that there is no relationship between these two numbers.

Even if we say some File Acknowledgement numbers are missing, we will still be in the ball park. It still gives an idea of which files been worked on.

As per my research, they are being worked on sequentially (in bunches) but not randomly.

Nred.

Dear N400Atl,

You would be right if I was referring to Online registration number (which you can create as many as you want), but I am going by the File Acknowledgement number. This number is only given when the file is at the consulate and only when they start working on it. How can a user generate this number? Also note that there is no relationship between these two numbers.

Even if we say some File Acknowledgement numbers are missing, we will still be in the ball park. It still gives an idea of which files been worked on.

As per my research, they are being worked on sequentially (in bunches) but not randomly.

Nred.

Your research is probably right, I was talking about Online number. File numbers should only be controlled by consulate.

I really don't think we can take this tracking seriously, cause even if you go by the File numbers there are quite a few numbers missing and even few who got status granted ahead of others. But regardless, most application seem to be with the 3-4 month time frame (or sooner). But online tracking does bring more accountability.

Nred

My application was acknowledged today 5/27/08, but it shows
acknowledgement date of 5/28/08.

Acknowledgement date 05/28/09

CORRECTION

My application was acknowledged today 5/27/08, but it shows
acknowledgement date of 5/28/08.

Acknowledgement date 05/28/08

Mind you, that the Status checker is set to Indian time and date. Files processed in the afternoon, Central Time (Houston) is same as the next day morning in India. That explains the 28th on 27th.
Nred

Applications acknowledged.

Ditto information for me as poster nuev:

My application was acknowledged on 5/28/08.

Application received at Consulate / Houston 04/07/08

Congratulations, obajaj and nuev!! You are now within a 1 month window of getting through the OCI process. Good luck.

Congratulations, obajaj and nuev!! You are now within a 1 month window of getting through the OCI process. Good luck.

If the status indicates that the application has been acknowledged, does this mean that all the paperwork was in order?
What message is displayed on the status page if any documents are missing or something was NOT in order? How does the consulate inform an individual if something else is needed or was missing?

I followed the hack provided earlier in the thread to find out what is the file #, which I didn't note down when I submitted the form for our second son.

my son's time line is as follows
Acknowledgement date 05/27/08

s_a_kumar

PS: we (my eldest son, wife and myself) submitted OCI form last year around May 2007 or so and got it done in about 1 month. Once it was acknowledged, it took only 10 days to get every thing else done.. We mailed our passports and recd. them in about a week. I have posted our dates in this forum, if needed, please search my earlier by my id.

Ditto information for me as poster nuev:

My application was acknowledged on 5/28/08.