OCI - Houston Tracker

From cgihouston.org : http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIStatus.html

The applicants can also personally collect the OCI Card from the Consulate by depositing their original passports at the Counter from 0900-1230 hrs. The OCI Card can be picked up from 1600-1700 hrs. on the same day. One adult member of the family can collect the OCI Cards on behalf of all members of the family.

My oci documents reached Houston after approval. Planning to send my PP by FedEx. Any idea how long it will take for them to return back our PP's?

It took them approx 3.5 weeks in my case to get all documents back. They say 10-15 business days. This was last year though (When they used to ack the application in 1 month)

ok...thanks for the info N400Atl. One of my friend is in Houston. Can I send my PPs to my friend (along with Authorization letter) for U visa stamping? Did they need me in person? Appreciate your answer.

That is a tricky question and to be honest, I do not know the answer. I know one person from the family can collect it for all members of same family but I am not sure if non-family members can collect it. Problem is, consulate can not be sure who took that and passport is very imp doc.

If you find the answer, please post here. I am sure this is an imp questions.

I sent an email to them. Not sure they will respond or not. I checked other forums (SF, DC etc), looks like they are responding to email queries.

Two months since they received the app still no ack :(

And now they want us to do this every 5 years for our kids (on renewal of US passport) !!!!

Really? U mean we have to re-apply again? or just renew it?

It is when US passport is renewed. Earlier rules were once you get OCI, when you renew your US passport, you do not have to get new stamp issued in the new US passport. You could carry your old US passport that had stamp and new US passport and that would work fine.
New rules say, if OCI is for kids younger than 20 (I believe) then you need to transfer the OCI stamp to each new US passport. Then from 20-50 only once and once after 50. So for kids, where you have to get new US passport every 5 years, you also have to get OCI stamp in that passport. So similar procedure, fill online form, send US passport to them for a month (mostly more than a month) and they will transfer it for you.

Check Houston website and look for Misc services. There is explanation on that. Funny thing is (as usual) not all consulates have this (or their website does not say anything about it.

Walk-in allowed to update OCI stamp on new passport?

It is when US passport is renewed. Earlier rules were once you get OCI, when you renew your US passport, you do not have to get new stamp issued in the new US passport. You could carry your old US passport that had stamp and new US passport and that would work fine.
New rules say, if OCI is for kids younger than 20 (I believe) then you need to transfer the OCI stamp to each new US passport. Then from 20-50 only once and once after 50. So for kids, where you have to get new US passport every 5 years, you also have to get OCI stamp in that passport. So similar procedure, fill online form, send US passport to them for a month (mostly more than a month) and they will transfer it for you.

Check Houston website and look for Misc services. There is explanation on that. Funny thing is (as usual) not all consulates have this (or their website does not say anything about it.

Typical inefficiencies of a government organization, especially an Indian government organization. I don't expect any better. I have emailed them on several occassions for several questions I have had. They have never responded even once, so far.

They don't have any clear answers to my questions on their FAQ or website either.

One question I have though..... If merely a stamp is required on a new U.S. passport, can't that also be done with a walk-in to the consulate? I believe they allow that for personally picking up your OCI card (and getting the stamp) on the first occassion.... I would imagine they would also allow this for updating the stamp on a new passport.
This would mean that you don't have to give away your children's passport for over a month and can get the stamp done on the same day if you walk-in the consulate.

Ofcourse, this would not help folks who don't live near the consulate (who need to mail it in).

Checklist for OCI application - Houston

Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -

** 2 sets for each applicant
1. Completed Part A (complete over internet, and print along with Part B + instructions - so you will get tracking number). Part A is for the individual or family group (for upto 4 family members). Keep 2 copies of Part A with each applicant's set.
2. Completed Part B with signatures & photos pasted (see 5 below)
3. Copy of US passport - first 2 and last 2 pages - self-attested
4. Copy of Indian passport - first 3 and last 2 pages - self attested

5. Photographs - US Passport-size photo is acceptable - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on Part B and 3 in a small envelope)
6. Cover letter
7. Fees - $275 per applicant (in money order or cashier's check made payable to Consulate General of India, Houston
8. Mailing fees - $20 for the family group (in money order or cashier's check)

9. Mail 1-4 in 2 sets (both sets containing original signatures in Part B), + items 5, 6, 7 and 8 above to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.

10. When status updates in the system, or when email arrives from Houston about approval/doc. received at Houston, send original US passport and original Indian passport & PIO card (if applicable) to the Houston embassy.

11.They will use the mailing fees in 8 above to send the US passport with U visa stamped, cancelled Indian passport and the new OCI card by FEDEX.

Questions:
1. Is it correct that Houston accepts US passport style photographs?
2. Can we combine $275 + $20 for one $295 money order or cashier's check?
3. Can we issue one money order or cashier's check for entire family group? In my case, we are applying for my wife + myself (2 of us). So, do I pay $275 + $275 + $20 = $570 in one money order/cashier's check?

Is this checklist correct? Please review and advise. Thanks.
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -

** 2 sets for each applicant
1. Completed Part A (complete over internet, and print along with Part B + instructions - so you will get tracking number). Part A is for the individual or family group (for upto 4 family members). Keep 2 copies of Part A with each applicant's set.

I sent in just 2 sets (of Parts A and B) for all applicants (3 applicants). I haven't heard back from Houston, but I had checked with a few other people who had told me that this should be fine. I did however send in a seperate 2 sets of all supporting documents for each applicant (viz. treating the documents as filed seperately for each applicant)

5. Photographs - US Passport-size photo is acceptable - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on Part B and 3 in a small envelope)
Questions:
1. Is it correct that Houston accepts US passport style photographs?

Not sure, but I sent in 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm. However, I noticed that they were a little smaller than the boxes printed on the application forms. I have heard of other folks on this forum sending in regular 2 inch x 2 inch U.S. Passport style sizes, but I'm not sure if that is also acceptable.

8. Mailing fees - $20 for the first applicant in the family group + $1 for each additional applicant (in money order or cashier's check)

I believe you can. Personally, I didn't have to send in the $20 now, as I expect to walk-in to the Houston consulate to pick up my OCI cards and get our U.S. passports stamped. Just an FYI.... You can also send in the $20 at a later stage, when they send you a status update by email that your OCI has been processed.

Lazy Conniving )(&)($*&)*(&s

Can't believe to what level these guys at Houston CGI can droop to, to avoid work!!!

I just received my whole OCI application back - after 2 months of waiting. They claim that I did not send my US Passport copies with the application! - and that's a false statement. I have copies of everything I sent. In fact what they did was they "unstapled" my application; took out the US passport copies; "re-stapled" the application and sent it back to me with a note that the US Passport copies are amiss.

I can tell that the application was "re-stapled" as it has holes from where I stapled the application originally. I had printed the application Part A from the web, completed the Part B right away and stapled the required supporting documents (all in duplicate) and mailed the whole packet.

Its just ridiculous what these guys would do to probably ease their backlog for processing the final OCI grants. Since their application stacks are piling up and they can't process the applications fast enough, they end up rigging some applications to make them look "incomplete" and sending them back to applicants - all this just to buy some more time and ease the pressure off their backs!!!!! &%^#(#)(#(*^#@*&%:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please review list

TriSSB: This is precisely the problem I wanted to avoid!!

obajaj: Thanks for your review and comments.

Others! Please review the list and advice. I don't want me (and others) to lose precious time by not sending everything they need (whatever documents, how many ever copies, whatever sizes of photographs).

Thanks for your help.

ravi1985: The issue is not what was missing from the application since the application was as complete as it could be!! The issue is CGI Houston rigging the application (taking stuff out) and sending it back - marked as incomplete!!

TriSSB! Are you sure that you included everything? Your story about they ripping out your US passport copy and sending it back to you as incomplete sounds far-fetched. Would they do it just to reduce their current backlog, knowing full well that you are going to send it right back to them with all annexures? I wouldn't put anything past our babus, but this takes the cake!!

Good luck in your 2nd attempt.

Can you please look at the checklist I have put-together and review it for competeness? Please help.

TriSSB, very sorry to hear that. I think Indian govt employees act like one where ever they go.

One thing I had done differently when I had applied for my OCI is to use u-clip (not staple) all the papers. I could be wrong but I think the scan the app and to be able to scan, they unstaple application. Once they unstaple and if the guy doing that does not put it all together, your app is missing some papers. This is just a possibility. It is very much possible that those people are doing what you said to reduce backlog.

I am also waiting for my wife's OCI. 2+ months no ack. Ack is still in 1950 range moving very slowly. My guess is 7-8 months minimum for all the process :(

TriSSB: Really sorry to hear ur case. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Now to my problem..I guess I was lucky to get my doc ACKed in exactly 60 days.
Now the status says "UnderProcess" where as all other applicants with same ACK date has status as granted. How long should I wait more?
I ahven't got any packages back from Houston. Also if they need soem clarification or some new documents are they going to update that in teh website or mail me?
Any ideas?

TriSSB: Really sorry to hear ur case. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Now to my problem..I guess I was lucky to get my doc ACKed in exactly 60 days.
Now the status says "UnderProcess" where as all other applicants with same ACK date has status as granted. How long should I wait more?
I ahven't got any packages back from Houston. Also if they need soem clarification or some new documents are they going to update that in teh website or mail me?
Any ideas?

Based on what I know, they will contact you via postal mail. I have read sometimes that they update that on website but that may not provide all details as to what they need.

They have slowed down to a crawl. When I did my OCI in last Sep- I received everything back in less than 3 months. Now for my wife, it is more than 2 months and not even ack :(

ravi1985: ABSOLUTELY sure I included everything required. All they asked for the second time was a copy of my US passport, which I had attached with the original application.

N400Atl: Maybe you're right! They probably "lost" some pages from my application when they unstapled to scan. Who knows?