OCI - Houston Tracker

I Dont remember File number

I recently sent in my OCI application by mail.
I do not remember the file number that was generated during the online
application process. What are my options if I want to find out my OCI application
satus?

OCI Experience

Family of 3 storyline...

Online Application Completion - 3/27/2007
Mailed Application - 4/2/2007
HOU Received Application - 4/4/2007
Date of Acknowledgement - 4/20/2007
Photo/Signature Scanned - 4/24/2007
Got email saying that CGI needs our child's birth certificate - 4/25/2007
Faxed the same 4/25/2007 + mailed a copy to CGI
Registration Status: Self - Granted - 5/2/2007; Spouse & Child - Granted - 5/25/2007
Documents Printed: Self - 5/3/2007; Spouse & Child - 5/25/2007
Documents Mailed from Delhi: Self - 5/4/2007; Spouse & Child - 5/25/2007
Documents Received at HOU: Self 5/10/2007; Spouse & Child - Not yet.
Mailed passport for U visa stamping: Self - 5/14/2007; Spouse & Child - N/A
Received passport @ CGI: Self - 5/16/2007; Spouse & Chile - N/A
Received stamped passport: Self - Not yet; Spouse & Child - N/A

I need to travel outside the country on business June 3rd. Have sent email to CGI asking when I can expect my passport - no reply; Have faxed a letter with copies of travel itinerary - still no reply. As has been most of the poster's experience, you can never get a human voice on the phone; Email reply is a joke - They read it but do not reply if you have not exceeded their processing duration deadline OR if you can somehow find the answer to your query on of the many links on CGI's site.

Now I am planning to show up next Thursday (5/31) at HOU (live in ATL) to see if I can somehow lay my hands back on my passport. Has anyone experienced this before - Can one show up at the door and get back your mailed in passport?

Thanks.

Registration status Granted

Registration status Granted

N-400 R.D.: 12/7/06
F.P.: 1/4/07
Interview: 2/14/07
Oath: 4/6/07
Passport Appled: 4/6/07
Passport Recieved: 4/27/07
Filled Online : 4/27/07
Sent Part A & Part B : 4/28/07
Indian Passport sent for Cancellation: 4/28/07
Houston received documents on: 5/1/07
Date of Acknowledgment : 5/11/07
Photo/Signature Scanned : 5/19/07
Registration status Granted : 5/25/07
Documents Printed : 5/25/07
Documents Despatched From Delhi : 5/25/07
Documents Received at Houston :
Passport Mailed to Houston :
Passport + OCI booklet received :

Waiting for the documents to reach Houston. Once the status changes, will mail the passports.

I am more concerned about 'how', not much about 'when'.

We all have stories about CGI Houston's non-responsive policy. I tried to contacting the 'Passports Plus' agency. Emailed them twice, no response(sound familiar? :) ). Called them. One lady picked up and said she doesn't know what OCI is :rolleyes: . Called second time. Another lady picked up and said they increased the price to $50.00 + shipping for OCI. Looks like they realized many of us would rather pay more and get it over with than dealing with CGI Houston.

Bottom line..I am still debating whether to put my faith in CGI Houston or Passports Plus. :confused:

Will keep you posted.

Prasad

Stop!!

Waiting for the documents to reach Houston. Once the status changes, will mail the passports.

I am more concerned about 'how', not much about 'when'.

We all have stories about CGI Houston's non-responsive policy. I tried to contacting the 'Passports Plus' agency. Emailed them twice, no response(sound familiar? :) ). Called them. One lady picked up and said she doesn't know what OCI is :rolleyes: . Called second time. Another lady picked up and said they increased the price to $50.00 + shipping for OCI. Looks like they realized many of us would rather pay more and get it over with than dealing with CGI Houston.

Bottom line..I am still debating whether to put my faith in CGI Houston or Passports Plus. :confused:

Will keep you posted.

Prasad

mpanati! DO NOT mail your passports to CGIH! Search this forum for peoples horror stories (including mine) and you'll know why.

passport plus agencies

My OCI Sticker and VISA were rececived at Houston at Houston on 25th. I sent my passports to passport plus last week to get my Passport stamped with OCI stikcer. The pasport plus agencies told that Houston is not servicing passports thro passport plus from today on wards. Hence passport plus is returnign my passports. I am going to send it (by overnight delivery) to Houston Consulate to get OCI. I have my (family)tickets booked to INDIA on June 11th. Wondering will I get passports back before that.
I am not sure if we go to Houston , we will get the passports on the same day.
Any idea??
Sent many faxes and email . No reply from Houston.

How reliable is it to use a third party Passport collection agency? How do you authorize them to collect your passports? I live in Macon, near Atlanta, GA.

Our OCI has been granted & received at Houston on May 7th & our passports were received on May 8th. We even sent a self addressed Fedex envelope to have it mailed back to us. It is already May 22nd & there is no trace of our passports. Our tickets to India are for June 5th and I need some direction in this matter. As you call know CGI Houston cannot be reached :)

VISA Camp in Atlanta

My U VISA (OCI ) has been received at houston 29th. I have already tickets booked to India for June 12th. I am not sure will I get back my passports before 12 th , If I send it houston now. Hence I am planning to go for VISA camp in Atlanta on June2nd. Any idea about VISA Camp ? Do they issue VISA on the same day?

Family of 3 storyline...

Online Application Completion - 3/27/2007
Mailed Application - 4/2/2007
HOU Received Application - 4/4/2007
Date of Acknowledgement - 4/20/2007
Photo/Signature Scanned - 4/24/2007
Got email saying that CGI needs our child's birth certificate - 4/25/2007
Faxed the same 4/25/2007 + mailed a copy to CGI
Registration Status: Self - Granted - 5/2/2007; Spouse & Child - Granted - 5/25/2007
Documents Printed: Self - 5/3/2007; Spouse & Child - 5/25/2007
Documents Mailed from Delhi: Self - 5/4/2007; Spouse & Child - 5/25/2007
Documents Received at HOU: Self 5/10/2007; Spouse & Child - Not yet.
Mailed passport for U visa stamping: Self - 5/14/2007; Spouse & Child - N/A
Received passport @ CGI: Self - 5/16/2007; Spouse & Chile - N/A
Received stamped passport: Self - Not yet; Spouse & Child - N/A

I need to travel outside the country on business June 3rd. Have sent email to CGI asking when I can expect my passport - no reply; Have faxed a letter with copies of travel itinerary - still no reply. As has been most of the poster's experience, you can never get a human voice on the phone; Email reply is a joke - They read it but do not reply if you have not exceeded their processing duration deadline OR if you can somehow find the answer to your query on of the many links on CGI's site.

Now I am planning to show up next Thursday (5/31) at HOU (live in ATL) to see if I can somehow lay my hands back on my passport. Has anyone experienced this before - Can one show up at the door and get back your mailed in passport?

Thanks.

I am from Atlanta area.

Looks like Houston stopped accepting passports through passport agents
for putting OCI sticker , from today onwards.
I sent my passports to passport plus agents in Houston. They could not get my OCI affixed to passports.
They went to consulate and tole me that CGI stopped accepting passports through passport plus for affixing OCI.
They are returning my (family) passports.They already charged me for
this service. ($136 non refundable (50% of total cost) for 4 passports)

I had planned my India trip for Jun13th , confirmed my tickets and now in deep trouble.

I am not sure If send my passports using overnight delivery to houston and get back my passports before jun 13th.

If I go personally , can I collect my OCI on the same day. I read in Sanfrancisco Indian consulate
web site clearly stating that OCI and U Visa cannot be collected in person.
Is this applicable to CGI , houston.

Also there is VISA camp in Atlanta in Jun2. Do they give VISA on the same day in VISA camps...
Any experience in going to VISA camp and getting VISA on the same days..
If they can issue VISA on the same day I am planning to attend VISA camp to get my VISA
instead taking a risk by sending passports to CGI Houston for OCI sticker.

Pl share your experience.

OCI application questions

I plan on filing my OCI application (husband, wife + 2 minors) tomorrow and have a few questions:

1) Mailing charges: I plan on going in person to CGIH to get the U-sticker and cancel our passports at the same time. Do I still have to send a self addressed envelope + $15 mailing fee or not? If so, is it $15* 4 or just $15?

2) Can I write one check for all appl. fees + mailing fees or is it separate checks?

3) Part A signature for minors: I have a 3 and a 6 yr. old. What do we need to do for signatures/thumb prints?

4) Cancelling the Indian PP - I was told and have read here repeatedly that you DON'T have to cancel your passport before hand - you can do it when collecting the U-sticker in person. Is that true or does it not matter either way? I don't want them to reject my appl. just because there is no "cancelled" stamp on my Indian pp.

5) Getting the U-Sticker: I plan on driving down to CGIH (too scared to mail my PP's to them) to get the U-sticker and cancel the Indian PP's at the same time. How do we know when the OCI is ready - do they mail a letter or email? Is that enough to then drive down to Houston or do I need to make an appt? Is it as easy as just showing up in the morning and picking up the PP's in the afternoon/evening?

Last edited by a moderator:
My U VISA (OCI ) has been received at houston 29th. I have already tickets booked to India for June 12th. I am not sure will I get back my passports before 12 th , If I send it houston now. Hence I am planning to go for VISA camp in Atlanta on June2nd. Any idea about VISA Camp ? Do they issue VISA on the same day?

I got my visa at the camp in Dallas. It is the same day although it will be a long day. I guess you are talking about the VISA sticker and not the OCI sticker.

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about tourist VISA to India.
Eventhough my OCI is ready at Houston I am not sure will I receive my passports before 12 th if I send it to Houston now. Hence I am planning to get my VISA through VISA camp. Since OCI is approved and ready is there any issue in applying and getting tourist VISA throughVISA camp...

I am also in the same situation. Tried to call and faxed my tickets .. no reply from Houston. Also tried through passport agents to get my OCI and U VISA affixed to my passports. Houston CGI said they cannot receive and affix U visa through passport agents. The passport agents are returning my passports today...

I am also in the same situation. Tried to call and faxed my tickets .. no reply from Houston. Also tried through passport agents to get my OCI and U VISA affixed to my passports. Houston CGI said they cannot receive and affix U visa through passport agents. The passport agents are returning my passports today...

My answer was for a tourist visa.
I have a question for you since you are far along in the OCI process.
I am in the process of sending the paper work to houston. How do you send the extra photos - Did you attach each of those to the respective application (one extra for each - total of 4 per person) or send them all together? Also the documents - Did you attach the documents of the respective person after the application in each case?
Did you have a young one (mine is almost 7)? if so did you have them write their name? Thanks for your reply.

I put photgraphs in a small envelop and wrote the names on the back side of photgraph with pencil. Also wrote in the covering letter that the names are writen on the back side with penci.
Regarding document I attached copies for each person with their application using a jump clip. I attached Form B (common for all applicants )at the end separately. I filed for my self , wife and kids together (total 4 part A and one PartB)

Beema

You can get a tourist Visa at the Visa Camp in Atlanta on the same day. You need to go in the morning give your application, whatever required documents, and passports. They will ask you to come back in the evening around 6:00 p.m., to collect the passports with Visa.

We took three months Visa and it was pretty quick and simple.