OCI - Houston Tracker

Thank you for this useful forum and for sharing very useful information and updates. I thought I would share some details I got from a call to CGI Houston this week (possibly everyone already knows this, but just the same, the details are below):

The lady who spoke on the phone was very patient and courteous; she checked with the OCI dept. to get some of these answers.

(1) Currently they are processing August applications; so in my case it could take another 2-3 months. I interpret this means that only the acknowledgment date really matters. So, if you file was not acknowledged in a timely manner, you are out of luck. We have seen some September approvals also, so I think they are very conservative with their answers.

(2) Once the OCI is acknowledged, then the next actionable step is in the hands of the officer in India; CGI Houston has no control over processing time and they don't know details about processing of other consulate applications. I think they are being politically correct and not complaining publicly about internal problems between CGI Houston and the India officers (and we are simply the casualties of some internal battles).

(3) Once OCI is acknowledged, you are "in the system" and "registered". So, you DO NOT have the option of applying again for OCI via Travisa (second application in parallel) even if you are willing to pay the processing fee again. So, you are out of luck and cannot get into the faster queue.

(4) Once OCI is acknowledged, you are "in the system" and "registered" -- so you DO NOT have the option of applying for PIO since you cannot hold both PIO and OCI at the same time.

(5) Only option is Entry/Tourist Visa; only Travisa can process or give estimates. The Consulate will not give Entry/Tourist Visa estimates.

I did not specifically ask if I can withdraw the OCI application and re-apply through Travisa. If anyone has some details/thoughts on this approach, please share the same.

FYI, I have already gone through one Entry visa (6-month) between August last year and February this year -- it took 5 weeks to process the surrender certificate + visa then.

Once again, thanks for this forum -- all the best to everyone.

printed

Hi All,
me and my spouse application are finally printed.
It took delhi/whoever 21 days to print a granted application.

(dori, you are almost same timeline as me, so you may expect it soon.)

imagine this, it used to take 40 days for the whole thing of OCI by houston.
Now it takes 9 months for the whole OCI process and minimum 20 days just to print an approved application. Go figure the timelines.

I keep you guys posted on our application status.

Hi All,
me and my spouse application are finally printed.
It took delhi/whoever 21 days to print a granted application.

(dori, you are almost same timeline as me, so you may expect it soon.)

imagine this, it used to take 40 days for the whole thing of OCI by houston.
Now it takes 9 months for the whole OCI process and minimum 20 days just to print an approved application. Go figure the timelines.

I keep you guys posted on our application status.

Not printed yet. Still waiting.....

Application Received Date: 27-AUG-2010
Date of Acknowledgement: 29-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 29-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted: 31-MAR-2011
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office: on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at HOUSTON: NOT YET

It seems no one was updating this tracker with travisa experience after march 15th. This tracker is full of last year filing directly with consulate.

there are lot of people who wants to read what's happening with others.......but they won't spend 5 mts to register here and update the status -- so sad --

news

At last I got call from Houston after sending them FAX , lot of emails and letters saying that They would take my new passport and stamp OCI on it with amendment.

Update

Finally my status changed to PRINTED today. I haven't checked for my other family members yet. OCIJungle thanks for your prediction.

Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 14-APR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office: on NOT DISPATCHED

dori, happy to see your application is seeing light like mine :)
hope in another couple of months we will get our visas mailed from india to houston.
(i am kidding, i meant to say couple of weeks)

familygupta, your printed status jumped one day., so did mine today. but it doesnt matter as long as we get our visa granted in another few months (atleast as per houston expecations). I understand your application is chicago, so may be moves faster.

I will keep you guys posted on our case progress.

familygupta, your printed status jumped one day., so did mine today. but it doesnt matter as long as we get our visa granted in another few months (atleast as per houston expecations). I understand your application is chicago, so may be moves faster.

I will keep you guys posted on our case progress.

I think all the consulate are slow in processing the OCI. Some more slower than others. I applied Ist week of March thinking I will get it back within a month. Chicago returned the application after 2 weeks and I have to file it with Travisa. I am planning to go to India in first week of June.

Documents Received in Houston.

I just checked the status of my wife and son's applications and CGI Houston received the documents. I applied for my son's passport (renewal) and it may take another 2 to 3 weeks before I get it. Does this delay creates any problems with Houston CGI if I send the passports in the next 2 to 3 weeks? I just don't want to send my wife's passport alone since both are in the same application. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here is the timeline:

Application Mailed Date: 08-23-2010
Date of Acknowledgement: 24-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 24-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted: 28-MAR-2011
Documents Printed On: 04-APR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on : 13-APR-201
Documents Received at HOUSTON On: 16-APR-2011

Documents Received in Houston.
Does this delay creates any problems with Houston CGI if I send the passports in the next 2 to 3 weeks? I just don't want to send my wife's passport alone since both are in the same application. Any help would be appreciated.

I spoke to the CGI Houston operator last week to see if I can collect the OCI in Delhi (I am giving up on waiting for it and am applying for a second entry visa). She spoke with someone in the OCI Cell and informed me that if I am going to be in India for less than 6 months, I can collect the OCI at Houston when I get back. If the stay is longer than 6 months - 1 year, then I can write to the OCI Cell and give them India contact details (address, phone number) and they will contact me in India when the OCI is approved.

Based on that, you should not have any problem with a few weeks of delay while you wait for your son's passport. All the best.

I spoke to the CGI Houston operator last week to see if I can collect the OCI in Delhi (I am giving up on waiting for it and am applying for a second entry visa). She spoke with someone in the OCI Cell and informed me that if I am going to be in India for less than 6 months, I can collect the OCI at Houston when I get back. If the stay is longer than 6 months - 1 year, then I can write to the OCI Cell and give them India contact details (address, phone number) and they will contact me in India when the OCI is approved.

Based on that, you should not have any problem with a few weeks of delay while you wait for your son's passport. All the best.

arun_k,

Thanks for your response. Hopefully my son's passport will be ready in couple of weeks.

Thanks

Arun_k
when you are expecting to get your OCI? Since I also applied same period (12/08)

bsku,

I applied September 4'th and CGI Houston received it a couple of days later. But they did not acknowledge until Nov. 27'th. I assume they are going only by acknowledgment date. When I spoke to them last week they told me it will take another 2-3 months for my application since they are processing August applications -- although we are seeing September and October acknowledgments getting approved in this forum.

status update

My friends, finally our granted visas are dispatched from india. Next step is houston to receive it. Hopefully we get ours received by houston in another week time.

dori, you are right next to me.

everybody, please keep your case progress posted on these immigration forums, so others can benefit from your experience.

I will keep you guys posted of my case.

Update:

Our status also changed to Dispatched.

Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 14-APR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 25-APR-2011