OCI - Houston Tracker

Managed to speak with CGIH this afternoon

She said it is now taking 8 months + for OCI processing. I asked her how come Chicago is processing in 2 months and she pleaded ignorance and said the backlog is huge in Houston and the officer is overloaded (nothing new). She said my application might be processed in another 30-40 days (9/10/2010 scan date).

After the approval documents are received by the consulate, she did say I can go personally to the consulate, drop off my passport and pick it up in the afternoon.
She advised that if I have plans to travel to India in the next 2 months I should apply for a visa :(

GCGM

OCI Sent on on Feb 10th - Acknowleged on Feb 23rd - Seems like moving - Experiance

All ,

I send OCI packet for my myself and my 2 sons , one son had name channge to new name on his new US passport and another son is PIO already .

I see Online Ack Number generated for all 3 of us on 23rd Feb. Is it normal time frame ?

For My son who channged the name I send his name change order from Judge , US passport , cancelled Indian passport and SC and affidavit of name change for Minor .

I was really worried , but things turn out ok and accepted and I see OCI accepted with his new name .

This foru is nice . thanks once again. I will let u know rest

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted

My application status online shows Granted and Documents Printed. Should I send my US Passport for stamp ASAP or will they notify me when to send the passport. Any help is appreciated?.

congrats.
I dont think you will get a notification to send your US passport for stamping. You should probably send it right away. Or call CGIH between the hours of 2-4 pm. You should get a person to talk to within 15-20 mins.
I plan to show up in person at CGIH! Keeping my fingers crossed as you and I have the same scan dates.

My application status online shows Granted and Documents Printed. Should I send my US Passport for stamp ASAP or will they notify me when to send the passport. Any help is appreciated?.

You have to check the OCI online status which should indicate that the documents have been received by Houston CGI before you send your US passports.

does each applicant in family get online status - please read this - please help

Any help is appreciated on the following scenario is appreciated.
I totally understand that Houston Consulate has huge backlogs in OCI processing.

We applied for OCI back in August 2010 (for me and mywife).
I am primary applicant (PIO holder upgrading to OCI).
My application has been acknowledged in Sept-21-2010.

My wife application has never been acknowledge by houston.
Online status check shows application has never been recieved at houston.

I have my online registration # and wife also has online registration #.

Can someone answer for me please. When you send two applications (family of two).

When I enter my registration # on online oci status check I get that my application
is acknowledged on Sept-21-2010 (signatures, photos scanned etc).

But wife registraion # when I enter that with correct passport #, I dont get anything
even after 6 months. I can not understand what is happening in my wife's case.

We sent 320 dollars fee (25 for me PIOtoOCI, 275 for OCIwife, 20 for mailingfee).
Check has been cashed in August of 2010.

When a family applies (husband and wife) do each get to see their individual online status updates.
Or is just for primary applicant.

Anyone like our case, please respond. I am getting concerned.

thanks

Thank You aug182010. I was ready to send the Passport but will wait till the status of "Documents Received at HOUSTON " changes online.

OCI Jungle....

Each OCI applicant will have an individual status. So if your wife's OCI application has not been acknowledged then that is an issue. I suggest that you write to them, fax the same letter to them and also email the letter to them indicating this situation that you are in. They WILL get your letters and may not always acknowledge it. So I suggest a few days later you call them until they answer your call and acknowledge to you on the phone that something is being done.

Good luck!!

After waiting close to 7 months my kids finally have their OCI granted. Still waiting for the documents to be sent to Houston before I head out with their passports for the OCI U stamp.

Documents printed on Mar 14 and now waiting for it to be dispatched to Houston.

Phew!! What a long wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
IS there been any difference in the one month this CGI was not accepting application for OCI, anybody who applied in Sept or Oct received granted status.

Just saw a note on Travisa OCI site which will be accepting Houston OCI applications from tomorrow - "The Houston Consulate processing time for OCI is currently 180 days (6 months)".

The Surrender Certificate processing seems to be happening in 10 to 15 days now.

The OCI acknowledgement seems to be happening in less than 30 days but not sure if there is any improvement on the timeline of OCI granting.

Based on this forum and immihelp it looks like people who have been acknowledged in August are getting granted now (which means 8 months for OCI).

All other consulates are processing OCI in 40 days.

Does anyone know if any petition is being prepared or how/whom to raise this issue?

IS there been any difference in the one month this CGI was not accepting application for OCI, anybody who applied in Sept or Oct received granted status.

Just when you thought it couldnt get worse.....

The Surrender Certificate processing seems to be happening in 10 to 15 days now.

The OCI acknowledgement seems to be happening in less than 30 days but not sure if there is any improvement on the timeline of OCI granting.

Based on this forum and immihelp it looks like people who have been acknowledged in August are getting granted now (which means 8 months for OCI).

All other consulates are processing OCI in 40 days.

Does anyone know if any petition is being prepared or how/whom to raise this issue?

From the Travisa OCI website https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/homepage
The Houston Consulate processing time for OCI is currently 180 days (6 months). Houston jurisdiction applicants who may need to use their US passport within the 6 month timeframe are strongly advised to apply for a Visa....

So not only is the processing time still 8+ months, they will hold your passport during that time. What about folks that need to travel to other countries for work/pleasure?
They should just close down this sorry excuse for a consulate and transfer the pending applications to other consulates. This runaround is actually worse than going thru the GC process!
CGIH! Quit screwing around and get your heads out of your asses and do some work!!!

I mailed my OCI application to travisa yesterday. I was hoping that OCI processing would be better through Travisa but looks like there is no difference. Well I am local to Houston so I can go grab my US passports from travisa office anyday in case I need to travel out of US. It will definitely a problem for non loacal applicants. Travisa should stop asking for original US passports for Houston OCI Applications.

HOUSTAN CGI SUCKS (A****) need to fire that guy I put complains on MHS web site / send mails to Indian foreign minister no response..

really getting mad about it. not sure what is the purpose of outsource when same 6month processing times.

I really wonder what the hell they doing for 6months with the application all 3 consulates are finishing the work in in max 2 month ...
I am really happy to do some volunteer job even tho I am in Austin. Ask them to put on their website looking for voulnteer i gurentee there will be some folks to help around...
this sucks ...w/o passport in hands for 6 months ..god can't even imagine...

I applied in Oct/10 by mail got ack on 1/7/11 and was hoping to be done by April as I am planning to go back to India in May looks like I have to spend $300 more on entry visa. CGI Houston really sucks and was hopping this one month break would help them better the processing time but no.

Houston please fix your OCI processing time.
Does anybody know how long it takes for entry visa.