OCI - Houston Tracker

Sent OCI/SC together on 12/28/10. Cancelled passports received today but not certificates in. Would that arrive in separate mail?

OCI ack and photo scanned on 2/3 and registration status is under process...

My OCI Application was acknowledged and photo Scanned on 04-Feb-2010...seems to be moving little faster...

Has anybody got OCI granted recently? Would like to guess approximate timeline between ack and granting of OCI.

July Applicant

Does anybody still waiting since July for approval.

I sent SC and OCI together on 7/12. Got SC and canceled Passport in September and OCI got acknowledged on September 10th. Since then no update.

Is anybody in the same situation?.

my

I sent SC and OCI together on 7/12. Got SC and canceled Passport in September and OCI got acknowledged on September 10th. Since then no update.

Dude, I feel sorry for you. I sent my application packet on 8/6/10 along with SC. Photo was scanned 9/10. I must have sent over a dozen emails requesting status of my app to no avail.
Hang in there, amigo. I am praying that they will suddenly approve a bunch of OCI apps like a dam bursting!
The bottleneck is definitely in Houston. If you check the OCI tracker at immihelp, every other consulate is processing the apps in less than 2 months (i checked Canada, UK etc as well). If they can just tell us what the issue is, we will feel slightly better. Perhaps they are short on manpower? Whatever it is, it looks like the MHA is waiting on CGIH to send them stuff. They are cranking out the approvals for all other consulates like a well oiled machine!

Finally managed to speak with a human at CGIH!

Dude, I feel sorry for you. I sent my application packet on 8/6/10 along with SC. Photo was scanned 9/10. I must have sent over a dozen emails requesting status of my app to no avail.
Hang in there, amigo. I am praying that they will suddenly approve a bunch of OCI apps like a dam bursting!
The bottleneck is definitely in Houston. If you check the OCI tracker at immihelp, every other consulate is processing the apps in less than 2 months (i checked Canada, UK etc as well). If they can just tell us what the issue is, we will feel slightly better. Perhaps they are short on manpower? Whatever it is, it looks like the MHA is waiting on CGIH to send them stuff. They are cranking out the approvals for all other consulates like a well oiled machine!

After I was on hold with the front desk for almost 25 mins I was so startled to hear a human voice at the other end, I was speechless for a few seconds! :)
The nice lady pleaded ignorance about the OCI status, but took my contact information and promised to have someone call me about my application. I am not holding my breath on this one :)

Have the same date of Acknowledgement

Did not heard anything back yet. Tried to call office several times but nobody picks up. If any update I will post a note, please do the same.

Update (photo/signature scanned)

01/18/2011: OCI application mailed
01/20/2011: OCI application received by CGI Houston
02/08/2011: Photo/Signature Scanned

Have a lot of people here been waiting since July? I applied in the first week of Sept, acknowledged Nov 16th (that would be 2010) and here it is February 2011 almost over with and still have not heard a single thing. Do they process one application a day?

It is very sad to hear that HOUSTON CGI is taking 6 to 8 months for processing OCI. There is one hope for you people that you might get your OCIs with 30 t0 45 days. Since the OCI processing is now outsourced to Travisa, the HOUSTON CGI is not taking any applications. Maybe they will clear up all the backlog before handling the OCI from travisa from March 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to petition CGIH

Perhaps we should all take part in a signature campaign and send a petition to the Consul General. Waiting time of 8+ months is beyond ridiculous!

It is very sad to hear that HOUSTON CGI is taking 6 to 8 months for processing OCI. There is one hope for you people that you might get your OCIs with 30 t0 45 days. Since the OCI processing is now outsourced to Travisa, the HOUSTON CGI is not taking any applications. Maybe they will clear up all the backlog before handling the OCI from travisa from March 15.

They better clear the existing backlog before allowing Travisa to process applications!

02/01/2011 1:38pm CST India visa application completed online
02/08/2011 9:09am CST India visa application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
02/09/2011 10:26am CST Outsourcing office has received visa application, but cannot process further. Application is on hold.
02/09/2011 10:39am CST Application assigned for processing
02/09/2011 12:01pm CST India visa application completed online
02/11/2011 12:15pm CST Passport and supporting documents received by Travisa Outsourcing, payment processed
02/11/2011 4:46pm CST Documents prepared to go to Consulate
02/14/2011 9:02am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing to Consulate
02/14/2011 9:45am CST Documents received by Consulate
02/17/2011 2:00pm CST Pending approval of the Government of India
02/22/2011 5:54pm CST Outsourcing office has verified the visa is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
02/22/2011 6:23pm CST Passport mailed out.

This is just my experience. I had to fill out the form to get my visa three times because of misunderstandings which caused delays in processing

Finally seen some movement on my case. It is granted!!!

Waiting for them to send the documents to Houston so that I can drive there to get the visa stamped.

Does anyone know if I need to get an appointment or can simply drive there? Also does my spouse and kid need to be present to get the visa on their passports?

Congrats, dude! My scan date is a couple of weeks behind you! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed...
Do let us know if you were able to pick up your documents in person at the consulate!
Thanks!

Read thru instructions

It is very important that you read thru all the instructions. Of course there are confusing and contradictory requirements. To add to the misery, each consulate has its own special requirements which I fail to understand the logic behind it. I have read at least 10 times + go through experiences of many which are illustrated in these type of forums.

Not an easy task to assemble all the requirements... but.... now this has become a necessity because of the nuisance of getting a visa

Last edited by a moderator:
On the day of my wife's naturalization she changed her last name from her maiden to my last name. Her Indian passport is thus with her maiden last name.

My question is when she sends in the surrender form what last name does she put. Her maiden which is on her indian passport or the married since now her US passport shows her new last name.
I am planning to also include the court order stating the name change.

Thanks

I am already on OCI. Need to apply OCI for my daughter who is US born. What is the requirement of Surrender certificate in this case? Should I just skip that part and send Part A/B or something else is needed now.

On the day of my wife's naturalization she changed her last name from her maiden to my last name. Her Indian passport is thus with her maiden last name.

My question is when she sends in the surrender form what last name does she put. Her maiden which is on her indian passport or the married since now her US passport shows her new last name.
I am planning to also include the court order stating the name change.

Thanks

I put my last name for my wife's app. She changed it during naturalization process. Houston consulate simply struck the last name (with a pen) and put her original last name on the form and sent the approved SC back. They did the same thing with my SC app. I had changed my name to just first & last and removed the middle names during naturalization. CGI just squeezed my middle names back on the SC form and approved it. Of course for both the apps I had enclosed a copy of the name change certificate. Seems like they want to match the name (first line of the app) on the SC forms with the same name as in the Indian passport. They did this only on the first line starting with "I <name> " of the application. Hope this helps.

Munu, She does not need a SC since she does not hold an Indian passport. Just follow the OCI process (parts a/b) for her.