OCI - Houston Tracker

Yes, 2"x2", regular US passport photos are fine for OCI applications.

Indian Cunsulate NYC still asks 35mmX35MM size photographs with light color background, not white background

http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=174&partid=100&sub=sub6
11. The applicant is required to submit the OCI application (Part A and Part B) in duplicate form. Part B is automatically printed out when Part A is saved and the print command is selected at the pop-up window. For each of the two applications, an original 35mm X 35mm size color photo (light color background, not white background), without border with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in the middle of the photograph is required. At the end of Part B, there is a list of documents that are required at the time of submission of application. The fee for the application is US$ 275 (US$ 145 for PIO Card holders). The payment should be in the form of certified checks or money orders in favor of "Consulate General of India, New York" (no personal checks).

Yes, 2"x2", regular US passport photos are fine for OCI applications.

You should post clearly the name of Indian consulate that accepts 2X2 photographs and links. US consulates are not clear NYC still ask 35mmX35mm without white background and other 1 or 2 consulate ask for 2X2. Poster should also post the info where he/ she is going to apply for OCI.

You should post clearly the name of Indian consulate that accepts 2X2 photographs and links. US consulates are not clear NYC still ask 35mmX35mm without white background and other 1 or 2 consulate ask for 2X2. Poster should also post the info where he/ she is going to apply for OCI.

I will be applying at Houston consulate. It also states

http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIProcedure.html

"The completed application form (Part A & Part B) along with supporting documents must be submitted in duplicate (two sets) by mail to the Consulate. Besides affixing photographs on the application forms, the applicant must submit Four (4) colour Photographs (size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm), taken against a light colour background. Two ofthem should be pasted on application(original and duplicate) and two stapled with the application."

But I wanted to know the actual practice at these consulates. Any input about Houston?

Status Update - Parents + Child

DATE _ DAY _ EVENT (Parents / Child)

11-Dec-2009,Fri _ 01 _ Part A Completed Online
14-Dec-2009,Mon _ 04 _ Sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
16-Dec-2009,Wed _ 06 _ Received in Houston
18-Dec-2009,Fri _ 08 _ Acknowledged
18-Dec-2009,Fri _ 08 _ Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ Granted
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ Printed
24-Dec-2009,Thu _ 14 _ Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009,Mon _ 18 _ Received at Houston
29-Dec-2009,Tue _ 19 _ Granted
29-Dec-2009,Tue _ 19 _ Passports sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
30-Dec-2009,Tue _ 20 _ Printed
30-Dec-2009,Tue _ 20 _ Passports in Houston
31-Dec-2009,Tue _ 21 _ Dispatched to Houston
04-Jan-2010,Mon _ 25 _ Received at Houston

OCI Houston Timeline

Happy New Year to you all!! Hope 2010 brings utmost happiness in your lives...

Just wanted to share my OCI timeline(Note: 2 Adults + 2 kids).

OCI Submitted : 12/28/09
OCI Received by Houston: 12/31/09
Acknowledged : 01/05/10 as per web link https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Photo/signature scanned : 01/05/10 as per web link
Granted : Not Yet
Docs Printed : Not Yet
Houston Received : Not Yet
Passport Sent : TBD
Passport Received : TBD.

Does the photo scanned means that there was no issues with photos and signatures? What is docs printed status means? Do you get any notification once the passports are requested?

My 7 year old has two US passports. One of them has expired and has India's visitor visa. When i will mail the passports do i have to mail both passports for the U Visa stamp for him? What will happen to the indian visitor visa?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

11-Dec-2009,Fri _ 01 _ Part A Completed Online
14-Dec-2009,Mon _ 04 _ Sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
16-Dec-2009,Wed _ 06 _ Received in Houston
18-Dec-2009,Fri _ 08 _ Acknowledged
18-Dec-2009,Fri _ 08 _ Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ Granted
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009,Tue _ 12 _ Printed
24-Dec-2009,Thu _ 14 _ Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009,Mon _ 18 _ Received at Houston
29-Dec-2009,Tue _ 19 _ Granted
29-Dec-2009,Tue _ 19 _ Passports sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
30-Dec-2009,Tue _ 20 _ Printed
30-Dec-2009,Tue _ 20 _ Passports in Houston
31-Dec-2009,Tue _ 21 _ Dispatched to Houston
04-Jan-2010,Mon _ 25 _ Received at Houston
05-Jan-2010,Mon _ 26 _ Passport sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)

Happy New Year to you all!! Hope 2010 brings utmost happiness in your lives...

Just wanted to share my OCI timeline(Note: 2 Adults + 2 kids).

Acknowledged : 01/05/10 as per web link https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Passport Sent : TBD
Passport Received : TBD.

Does the photo scanned means that there was no issues with photos and signatures? What is docs printed status means? Do you get any notification once the passports are requested?

My 7 year old has two US passports. One of them has expired and has India's visitor visa. When i will mail the passports do i have to mail both passports for the U Visa stamp for him? What will happen to the indian visitor visa?

thanks

Hi Tufan, it looks like I am not going to leave you easily. Yesterday we got our passports within 2 weeks in routine service request. Did you send normal photos (2"x2") or 3.5x3.5 cm one (with non white background)?

Hi Tufan, it looks like I am not going to leave you easily. Yesterday we got our passports within 2 weeks in routine service request. Did you send normal photos (2"x2") or 3.5x3.5 cm one (with non white background)?

Hey Bud, I had sent 4 (3.5x3.5 cm) photos per family member. Although the website requests for 3. One to be pasted on the each set of applications and rest to be attached to the main application. I read on the houston website that they accept US formats as well. You can always cut US format photos to the size requested by Houston Consulate.

Congrats on your US passports. You will get your naturalization certificate in a seperate mail in a brown envelope. Glad to see you again..!

OCI related Questions

Hi Friends, I am ready to file OCI at Houston and have few questions. Hope I would be able to get help from other members:

1. Me and my wife got different oath dates (over one month apart). US PP for my wife and minor daughter are expected this week. My question is can we submit one OCI form for family with my wife and daughter application.
2. If familiy application can be submitted for them then can we give my wife's info as first applicant, leave spouse information blank (as I would be taking oath only at end of this month) and provide minor child info. Is this is fine or we need to give spouse info also but do not apply simultaneously.
3. Alternatively, follow option of submitting individual application for my wife and my daughter and send together in same envelope. Would this require sending $20 as mailing fee or $40 ($20 for each application).
4. Not sure do we need a total of 4 photographs (1 pasted & 1 stapled on each of 2 applications) or 6 photographs (1 pasted & 2 stapled on each of 2 applications) or another number.

Please help. Thanks.

Hi Friends, I am ready to file OCI at Houston and have few questions. Hope I would be able to get help from other members:

1. Me and my wife got different oath dates (over one month apart). US PP for my wife and minor daughter are expected this week. My question is can we submit one OCI form for family with my wife and daughter application.
<< Yes >>
2. If familiy application can be submitted for them then can we give my wife's info as first applicant, leave spouse information blank (as I would be taking oath only at end of this month) and provide minor child info. Is this is fine or we need to give spouse info also but do not apply simultaneously.
<< leave spouse info blank >>
3. Alternatively, follow option of submitting individual application for my wife and my daughter and send together in same envelope. Would this require sending $20 as mailing fee or $40 ($20 for each application).
<< Do as in 2 - no need to submit individual applications >>
4. Not sure do we need a total of 4 photographs (1 pasted & 1 stapled on each of 2 applications) or 6 photographs (1 pasted & 2 stapled on each of 2 applications) or another number.
<< photo requirements vary from consulate to consulate and also change with time - some recent applicant at Houston can better answer this >>

Please help. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks akgarg and ravi for your replies.
At one place on Houston web site it says 3 photos of 3.5 x 3.5 and at another link from on line application it says 2" x 2" photos with 1 stapled and two photos along with application (probably meaning for 2 applications total requirement is either 4 or 6 photos). Looks like different people have designed differnt pages and no one tried to proof read the documents. That is what is slighly confusing.

Acknowledged : 01/05/10 as per web link - https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp[/url]

Hi tufan, How did you receive the Acknowledge number? Did you receive it by email?

Regards!

Photo Question for Houston

Nashu,

Once you check your online application at below link and enter your online registration# and click go, the Ack# will automatically appear. Hope it helps.
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

Tufan - I have question related to number of photos to be submitted with OCI application at Houston. Since you have filed recently, you would be in a better position to answer this:

At one place on Houston web site it says 3 photos of 3.5 x 3.5 and at another link from on line application it says 2" x 2" photos with 1 stapled and two photos along with application (probably meaning for 2 applications total requirement is either 4 or 6 photos). Looks like different people have designed differnt pages and no one tried to proof read the documents. That is what is slighly confusing.

Please confirm how many photographs (total) and of what size you submitted. Thanks.

Here is my timeline for myself and my son. Overall very quick and satisfying process.

11-Dec-2009, Sent to Houston (Priority Mail w Ret Rec)
14-Dec-2009, Received in Houston
17-Dec-2009, Acknowledged
17-Dec-2009, Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009, Granted
22-Dec-2009, E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009, Printed
24-Dec-2009, Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009, Received at Houston
28-Dec-2009, Passports sent to Houston (Priority Mail w Ret Rec)
31-Dec-2009, Passports in Houston
06-Jan-2010, Passports received with OCI stamped

Here is my Timeline:

OCI Submitted : 01/04/09
OCI Received by Houston: 01/05/09
Acknowledged : 01/07/10 (01/06/09 in USA)
Photo/signature scanned : 01/07/10 (01/06/09 in USA)
Passport Sent :
Passport Received :.

DATE . DAY . EVENT (Parents / Child)

11-Dec-2009,Fri . 01 . Part A Completed Online
14-Dec-2009,Mon . 04 . Sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
16-Dec-2009,Wed . 06 . Received in Houston
18-Dec-2009,Fri . 08 . Acknowledged
18-Dec-2009,Fri . 08 . Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . Granted
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . Printed
24-Dec-2009,Thu . 14 . Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009,Mon . 18 . Received at Houston
29-Dec-2009,Tue . 19 . Granted
29-Dec-2009,Tue . 19 . PPs + $20 CC sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
30-Dec-2009,Wed . 20 . Printed
30-Dec-2009,Wed . 20 . Passports in Houston
31-Dec-2009,Thu . 21 . Dispatched to Houston
04-Jan-2010,Mon . 25 . Received at Houston
05-Jan-2010,Tue . 26 . PP + $20 CC sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
06-Jan-2010,Wed . 27 . Passport in Houston
06-Jan-2010,Wed . 27 . FedEx Package sent from Houston
07-Jan-2010,Wed . 28 . Cancelled India PPs + US PPs with U Visa (w Signature,Seal) +
.......................OCI Cards (w Signature,Seal) Received in FedEx Overnight Package

Last edited by a moderator:
Tufan - I have question related to number of photos to be submitted with OCI application at Houston. Since you have filed recently, you would be in a better position to answer this:

Please confirm how many photographs (total) and of what size you submitted. Thanks.

I submitted total of 4 photos/applicant of 3.5 X 3.5cm in all. i pasted to each set of application and one clipped to each application.

Yesterday, received a call from Houston requesting Birth Certificate of my son to be faxed over at 719-993-9347. I asked if everything else is fine with the application and the answer was, Yes! I am assuming this is it and there are no issues with the pictures. I know it's costly to get the pictures done for the family so i wouldn't send more than 4 per applicant.