OCI - Houston Tracker

Here is my timeline for myself and my son. Overall very quick and satisfying process.

DATE _ DAY _ EVENT (Parents / Child)
11-Dec-2009, Sent to Houston (Priority Mail w Ret Rec)
14-Dec-2009, Received in Houston
17-Dec-2009, Acknowledged
17-Dec-2009, Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009, Granted
22-Dec-2009, E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009, Printed
24-Dec-2009, Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009, Received at Houston
28-Dec-2009, Passports sent to Houston (Priority Mail w Ret Rec)
31-Dec-2009, Passports in Houston
06-Jan-2010, Passports received with OCI stamped

CONGRATS! If you are still around and if you don't mind explaining what is : Printed, Dispatched to Houston, Received at Houston? Is this something we send or is this the application that i sent to India for processing?

Hi guys,

What supporting documents are required for submission of OCI application?

Thanks,

qazxsw

Nashu,

Once you check your online application at below link and enter your online registration# and click go, the Ack# will automatically appear. Hope it helps.
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp[/url]

Thanks bro...from yesterday I can see the Ack # when i enter registration number. The reason I have a doubt on this Ack # is because, somewhere I read that they are going to post this Ack# by mail.
Anyways, Now the Status is 'Under Process' and Photos are 'Scanned'. I have applied 2 days later after you have applied i.e., 30th of December.

Also, did you send them $20 mailing fee or did you send them a physical mail envelop?

Hi guys,

What supporting documents are required for submission of OCI application?

Thanks,

qazxsw

bro..go to the following web site, they have everything in detail.
I can't give you a URL, since i have less than 15 posts.

immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/oci-documents.html

i finally got it on dec 24th after a few days of unwanted tension..
valuable info gained from calling houston consulate

1. noone picks up the phone.. but keep trying between 3-4 central
2. mail room has no info on incoming mail and no records.
3. mail room keeps record of packages given to them by oci dept.
4.when operatior picks up ask for mail room... if it is past 15 days afterur sending the passport for stamping, and ask them to check.
5.when u send passport for stamping clearly mark on the envelople "for oci stamping" which will get it to oci dept immedialtely.
6. the lady in the oci dept will lie to u saying "it has been sent" and u will get in in 2 days etc" dont worry all typical babu lies. u will get it when it is done thats what it means.
7. Do not call until it is 14 days after sending.. no use..
9.mail room guys are more helpful that the rude lady in oci dept.
10.better to send self addressed expressmail envelope with postage/fedex thatn $20 as it reduces their work and u will get it faster, chances of them losing ur envelope mimimal.

whew ordeal is over.

I submitted total of 4 photos/applicant of 3.5 X 3.5cm in all. i pasted to each set of application and one clipped to each application.

Yesterday, received a call from Houston requesting Birth Certificate of my son to be faxed over at 719-993-9347. I asked if everything else is fine with the application and the answer was, Yes! I am assuming this is it and there are no issues with the pictures. I know it's costly to get the pictures done for the family so i wouldn't send more than 4 per applicant.

Thanks for your reply tufan.

I looked at this OCI Houston thread and found post # 956 by weewilliewinkie, where he indicated sending photos of 2 x 2 and there is another post of him # 969 about getting OCI granted/approved. So it looks like they are fine with photo of any size. It is so confusing. Not sure what is their requirement ??

Thanks bro...from yesterday I can see the Ack # when i enter registration number. The reason I have a doubt on this Ack # is because, somewhere I read that they are going to post this Ack# by mail.
Anyways, Now the Status is 'Under Process' and Photos are 'Scanned'. I have applied 2 days later after you have applied i.e., 30th of December.

Also, did you send them $20 mailing fee or did you send them a physical mail envelop?

I had mailed a cashier's cheque for $990 ( $275X3 + $145 + $20). All at the same time. Do you know printed, dispatched to houston means? thanks..

Tufan,

When you check your status online, printed mean they had printed your U-visa and OCI card. Dispatch mean they send both the documents to Houston from India. Is this what are you asking about?

Tufan,

When you check your status online, printed mean they had printed your U-visa and OCI card. Dispatch mean they send both the documents to Houston from India. Is this what are you asking about?

Thanks Jalma. This is exactly what i was looking for!

Timeline Updated!!!

OCI Submitted : 01/04/09
OCI Received by Houston: 01/05/09
Acknowledged : 01/07/10
Photo/signature scanned : 01/07/10
Granted : 01/13/10
Docs Printed : 01/13/10
Document dipatched:
Houston Received :
Passport Sent :
Passport Received :.

Our time line (me, wife & 2 kids): Unbelievably faster!!!

Application sent - 12/23/09
OCI Received by Houston: 12/24/09
Acknowledged : 12/24/09
Photo/signature scanned : 12/29/09
Granted : 12/31/09
Docs Printed :12/31/09
Document dipatched:01/04/10
Houston Received :01/07/10
Passport Sent : 01/07/10
Passport Received :01/12/10

FINAL Status Update - Parents + Child

DATE . DAY . EVENT (Parents / Child)

11-Dec-2009,Fri . 01 . Part A Completed Online
14-Dec-2009,Mon . 04 . Sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
16-Dec-2009,Wed . 06 . Received in Houston
18-Dec-2009,Fri . 08 . Acknowledged
18-Dec-2009,Fri . 08 . Photo/Signature Scanned
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . Granted
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . E-Mail from Houston
22-Dec-2009,Tue . 12 . Printed
24-Dec-2009,Thu . 14 . Dispatched to Houston
28-Dec-2009,Mon . 18 . Received at Houston
29-Dec-2009,Tue . 19 . Granted
29-Dec-2009,Tue . 19 . Passports sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
30-Dec-2009,Tue . 20 . Printed
30-Dec-2009,Tue . 20 . Passports in Houston
31-Dec-2009,Tue . 21 . Dispatched to Houston
04-Jan-2010,Mon . 25 . Received at Houston
05-Jan-2010,Tue . 26 . Passport sent to Houston (Exp Mail w Ret Rec)
06-Jan-2010,Wed . 27 . Passport in Houston
06-Jan-2010,Wed . 27 . FedEx Package sent from Houston
07-Jan-2010,Thu . 28 . Cancelled India PPs + US PPs with U Visa (w Signature,Seal) +
.......................OCI Cards (w Signature,Seal) Received in FedEx Overnight Package
13-Jan-2010,Wed . 34 . FedEx Package sent from Houston
14-Jan-2010,Thu . 35 . US PP with U Visa (w Signature,Seal) +
.......................OCI Card (w Signature,Seal) Received in FedEx Overnight Package

Timeline Updated!!!

Document dipatched:01/15/10
Houston Received :
Passport Sent :

My Timeline

OCI Submitted : 01/08/10
OCI Received by Houston: 01/12/10
Acknowledged : 01/13/10
Photo/signature scanned : 01/13/10
Granted : 01/15/10
Docs Printed : 01/15/10
Document dipatched:
Houston Received :
Passport Sent :
Passport Received :

I never dreamt that any agency associated with Govt of India could move this quickly!! Less than a week, my application is processed and Granted.

I received standard message from Houston that OCI has been approved and i guess once the "documents received" date is populated then i can send my passports for stamping.
Dear OCI Applicant,
We are pleased to inform you that your OCI applicant(s) has been granted today.
Please check the status of your OCI card by clicking the following link https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Once you read on the online status that “Documents received at Houston (Date:_____________)”, you may kindly send your original US passport for stamping the “U” Visa and the Indian Passport (where applicable), for verification, by mail. In case, you are a PIO card holder, please send your PIO Card for cancellation.
In case, you have not already paid the return fee, please send a Cashier’s cheque or a money order for $.20.00 payable to “Consulate General of India, Houston” to return your Passport and OCI Card by FEDEX.
In case, you wish to come to the Consulate and personally collect the OCI cards, please deposit your passports at the counter between 9 am and 12.30 pm and collect them between 4 pm and 5 pm.
Please do enclose your latest Indian Passport(s).
In case, you find that your OCI documents are not printed after four working days of granting your application, then there is a problem with your photograph(s). Kindly arrange to send two copies of your new Passport size photographs(s) by mail to us soonest possible. Photograph(s) should be sharp, front facing, well lit against a light background with dark clothes. Please also write your name and Online Registration Number/File Acknowledgement Number at the back of the photograph.
Thanks,
Consulate General Of India Houston
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite #600
Houston, TX - 77056
Telephone 713-626-2148, 713-626-2149
Fax: 713-626-2450, 713-627-2034, 713-993-9347

What is your online status? Granted printed...etc.

I received standard message from Houston that OCI has been approved and i guess once the "documents received" date is populated then i can send my passports for stamping.
Dear OCI Applicant,
We are pleased to inform you that your OCI applicant(s) has been granted today.
Please check the status of your OCI card by clicking the following link https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Once you read on the online status that “Documents received at Houston (Date:_____________)”, you may kindly send your original US passport for stamping the “U” Visa and the Indian Passport (where applicable), for verification, by mail. In case, you are a PIO card holder, please send your PIO Card for cancellation.
In case, you have not already paid the return fee, please send a Cashier’s cheque or a money order for $.20.00 payable to “Consulate General of India, Houston” to return your Passport and OCI Card by FEDEX.
In case, you wish to come to the Consulate and personally collect the OCI cards, please deposit your passports at the counter between 9 am and 12.30 pm and collect them between 4 pm and 5 pm.
Please do enclose your latest Indian Passport(s).
In case, you find that your OCI documents are not printed after four working days of granting your application, then there is a problem with your photograph(s). Kindly arrange to send two copies of your new Passport size photographs(s) by mail to us soonest possible. Photograph(s) should be sharp, front facing, well lit against a light background with dark clothes. Please also write your name and Online Registration Number/File Acknowledgement Number at the back of the photograph.
Thanks,
Consulate General Of India Houston
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite #600
Houston, TX - 77056
Telephone 713-626-2148, 713-626-2149
Fax: 713-626-2450, 713-627-2034, 713-993-9347

What is your online status? Granted printed...etc.

Online status: Granted & Printed.

Document dipatched:01/15/10
Houston Received :
Passport Sent :

Please confirm that once the date is updated to documents received at Houston i need to send all American and Indian Passports??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tufan,

Seems like both our timelines are moving together. Yes, once the status shows that documents has been received by Houston on.......... Just send in your Indian and US passport.

My guess is they will receive the documents either tomorrow or day after.

I am impressed with the speed they started processing these OCI applications.