OCI - Chicago Tracker

No changes after august 18t acknowledgement

Hi All,

My application status has not changed since the acknowledgement date of august 18th. Is anybody else in the same boat?

Thanks.

In the first week of Aug...

Are you sure you submitted your application in the first week of Aug and got acknowledgment on Aug/18 th. It is not possible. In Chicago it takes more than 8 weeks to get ack.

Hope you are not confusing with ack of mail received at Consulate and Acknowledgment stage of OCI processing. What does your OCI status indicate???.

Dear all,

I became a USC recently. My spouse still has Indian passport, my minor daughter has PIO card.

Now the unique problem, i tried filling in the form using the 'Family category'.
The form lists space for self, spouse and 2 minor children.
It is only me and my minor child applying.
SO the space for spouse and 2nd minor child is vacant, but the online form wont accept blank spaces. So what should i do? How can i complete the forms? Any advise would be appreciated.

Are you sure you submitted your application in the first week of Aug and got acknowledgment on Aug/18 th. It is not possible. In Chicago it takes more than 8 weeks to get ack.

Hope you are not confusing with ack of mail received at Consulate and Acknowledgment stage of OCI processing. What does your OCI status indicate???.

I had the same question but then thought might possible.

Still Waiting

Curious if you got the signature confirmation receipt back from USPS, verifying that the consulate did receive the envelope...?

I got the confirmation from the consulate along with my canceled passports. I might have mailed it in July...I am not sure about the exact date I mailed it...since it has been a very long...

I got the confirmation from the consulate along with my canceled passports. I might have mailed it in July...I am not sure about the exact date I mailed it...since it has been a very long...

You might have received the Surrender Certificate with canceled passport and a letter acknowledging receipt of your oci application with application number. That is not the stage of Acknowlegment in OCI process. Please check OCI status online with your application number. What does it say ???

There are cases of persons from Chicago submitting their OCI application in early SEP and their process is over. You can get this info on Oci tracker. That would worry me if i was in your place. Call them or email them.

Friends, appreciate if you share your thoughts on my situation ...

My OCI is granted and doc.s reached Chicago from Delhi on Oct 25. They received my passport on Oct 28. Have not got back those yet with OCI cards. I'll have to travel to India after thanksgiving.

I don't know why a simple process is taking so long.

Any idea what are my options now? Should I go to Chicago (4 hours drive)? Even if I go they may already send it while I'm traveling to Chicago.

Needless to say they are incommunicado. I've tried repeatedly to reach them by e-mail, phone, fax but of no avail.

Thanks guys.

vada-pau,
in your place i would not have mailed my PP, instead gone for the 4 hr drive eating vada-pau. Since you are traveling during thanks giving plan a trip to Chicago next week preferably wednesday( 11/17) . Before that i am definite you will receive the docs in mail. If they have not mailed by 17th you will get OCI in person. If they have mailed it you will get b4 your travel.

This week we had gorgeous weather low 70's. You missed it. Next week will be in 50's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends, appreciate if you share your thoughts on my situation ...

My OCI is granted and doc.s reached Chicago from Delhi on Oct 25. They received my passport on Oct 28. Have not got back those yet with OCI cards. I'll have to travel to India after thanksgiving.

I don't know why a simple process is taking so long.

Any idea what are my options now? Should I go to Chicago (4 hours drive)? Even if I go they may already send it while I'm traveling to Chicago.

Needless to say they are incommunicado. I've tried repeatedly to reach them by e-mail, phone, fax but of no avail.

Thanks guys.

When you email/fax/call them next time, inform them that they are holding a foreign passport without any reason and you would have to report this to state department.

When you email/fax/call them next time, inform them that they are holding a foreign passport without any reason and you would have to report this to state department.

don't listen to what old dude says. Let him try that in his case. You have to travel shortly. By the time State dept responds your travel date would be over. Panga leke faidha kya. Kam hona chahiyehay.

old dude please refrain from giving advice which you will not follow in your own case. Threatening never works - not in India and not in US.

don't listen to what old dude says. Let him try that in his case. You have to travel shortly. By the time State dept responds your travel date would be over. Panga leke faidha kya. Kam hona chahiyehay.

old dude please refrain from giving advice which you will not follow in your own case. Threatening never works - not in India and not in US.

1. I did not have to resort to this in my case. but, I would have, if I were in this situation.
2. Stating a fact is not threatening, it is just stating a fact. Fact is same in US as it is in India. :)

When Indian consulate does not have any capability to produce OCI card here in US, nor has any control on picture; why wait for a month or two to acknowledge? and then take another month or two to process (read send across documents in electronic format to India)? When they can deposit money as soon as they receive application, wouldn't it make sense to check application for accuracy and start processing OCI application?

It may be eaiser for people living in Chicago to get pictures taken on Devon street as consulate has flier displayed in the consulate; it would make sense for them to identify similar facilities across the areas/states they serve.
Making a trip (distance does not matter) requires planning from individual perspective, and not everyone may have luxury of using one day just to get OCI; because someone in consulate is not doing what they are supposed to and paid for.
The least of service they can do would be to respond to requests for status; especially in situation like this where an applicant does not have any control.
Jingoism does not mean supporting whatever consulate want to do without reason. Always question process to improve, not just criticize (Kaizen?)
And by the way, consulate is not doing any favor nor charity; it's fee based service and they have requirement to provide basic customer service, regardless of number of applications they receive.

Relatively Speaking CGI-Chicago is Good !!

1. I did not have to resort to this in my case. but, I would have, if I were in this situation.
2. Stating a fact is not threatening, it is just stating a fact. Fact is same in US as it is in India. :)

When Indian consulate does not have any capability to produce OCI card here in US, nor has any control on picture; why wait for a month or two to acknowledge? and then take another month or two to process (read send across documents in electronic format to India)? When they can deposit money as soon as they receive application, wouldn't it make sense to check application for accuracy and start processing OCI application?

It may be eaiser for people living in Chicago to get pictures taken on Devon street as consulate has flier displayed in the consulate; it would make sense for them to identify similar facilities across the areas/states they serve.
Making a trip (distance does not matter) requires planning from individual perspective, and not everyone may have luxury of using one day just to get OCI; because someone in consulate is not doing what they are supposed to and paid for.
The least of service they can do would be to respond to requests for status; especially in situation like this where an applicant does not have any control.
Jingoism does not mean supporting whatever consulate want to do without reason. Always question process to improve, not just criticize (Kaizen?)
And by the way, consulate is not doing any favor nor charity; it's fee based service and they have requirement to provide basic customer service, regardless of number of applications they receive.

If you were to think of this OCI as equivalent to a ARC of the US, then you would concede that the OCI issues are not as bad as the experience of every first gen American from India. It would give you a new perspective on things. Make you even appreciate the relative efficiency of the New Delhi outfit. In any service business, the customers rarely compliment (relatively) good service. It is time that a few OCI receipients write back to the Chicago CGI and tell them.
My timeline:
10/01/2010 Sent OCI application by USPS-Priority Mail-Delivery Confirmation
10/13/2010 USPS-envelope came back with the note "REFUSED"
11/01/2010 Sent the same application by FedEx-Ground