OCI - Chicago Tracker

Even though we have already paid for return mail, can we collect the OCI in person at Chicago.

We have already paid for the return mail. Can we submit the passport for OCI stamp and collect the OCI documents in person at Chicago consulate.

Thanks

We have already paid for the return mail. Can we submit the passport for OCI stamp and collect the OCI documents in person at Chicago consulate.

Thanks

Yes you can do it. i do not have personal experience but have seen someone doing it in my last visit. But you can forget getting any money from GOI as it is in Gandhi's account. But do take a letter with some reason for collecting OCI urgently in person like going out station for office work etc. They will oblige you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to know if the chicago consulate still need non-white background pictures for OCI application, if so where do you take the pictures at costco ? sam club ? walgreens ?

I finally picked up my OCI documents from chicago consulate and here is that I think. You do not need to go there at 9.00 AM. You can go there 10.30 or even at noon. Droppoing off passport takes about 2 minutes and picking up documents at 4.00 took around 15 minutes. There is no token needed when you go pickup documents. They will call your name and it is random. Just wanted to share with anyone who is thinking about picking up documents from chicago.
Good luck!

Interested to know if the chicago consulate still need non-white background pictures for OCI application, if so where do you take the pictures at costco ? sam club ? walgreens ?

OCI application any where has to be accompanied by non-white background pictures. This is not a Chicago rule. Some places they will accept non-standard photo initially and harass you later.

I believe there are photo studio in Devon Ave who take as per requirement of GOI and give sufficient copies. Walgreens take photo on different back ground than white. They will give only 2 copies. Jewel Osco take photo against white background, but if you take plain colored sheet, they can change color of background and give u 6 copies. People have luck with epassportphoto too. Try your luck.

I have used light blue background as they mentioned in sample pictures and it worked out great. I did use epassportphoto

Finally my family (me, spouse & 3 year old minor son) OCI cards arrived at Chicago Consulate.

1.With initial application, I paid the mailing charges to return the cards but now thinking about collecting tham in person at Chicago consulate. Will I face any issues with the change in the plans?

2. Do I need to get authorization letter from my wife? Since I was the primary applicant, Is it necessary to get this letter? Assuming that authorization not needed for my minor son. Let me know your experience.

3. I need to cancel my son's PIO card while collecting OCI card. Will they do that on the same day?

OCI Timeline:
July 28 2010 - OCI application mailed (USPS Express)
July 29 2010 - Application delivered to Chicago Indian Consulate
Sept 08 2010 - Application acknowledged
Oct 08 2010- Scanned
Oct 12 2010- Granted
Oct 14 2010- Printed
Oct 18 2010- Documents dispatched to Chicago
Oct 26 2010 - Documents received in Chicago
???? - Sent US passport, Indian passports to Indian Consulate (FedEx priority)
???? - Passports delivered to Indian Consulate
???? - Passports, OCI docs mailed by Indian Consulate (USPS Express Mail)
???? - Docs received, all in order.

My OCI documents were received by Chicago consulate on Oct 26, 2010, after earlier being acknowledged and granted. I send in my US Passport for stamping by UPS next day 10:30AM delivery. UPS is returning the package to me, with comments "THE RECEIVER CANCELED THE ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY / RETURNED TO SHIPPER".

I called UPS and they told me that it is not only mine package, but all packages that the UPS driver took to the Chicago consulate that day and time, were returned to him. UPS didn't knew why. An e-mail to Chicago consulate was not replied...

Anyone here knows what's going on...!?

Guptaji,
Please read do's and dont's of the Chicago consulate. They want you send mail by FEDEX or USPS Express only. UPS does not figure in their list. Use FEDEX( I do not get a commission!!!)

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-AUG-2010
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 11-SEP-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 14-SEP-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 15-SEP-2010
Documents Received at CHICAGO On 29-SEP-2010

I just got all the OCI and US Passports back. Took exactly 30 days from the day CGI Chicago recieved our passports for visa stamping.

Good luck to all of you. If you are in hurry to get OCI stamped, suggest you visit Chicago.

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-AUG-2010
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 11-SEP-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 14-SEP-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 15-SEP-2010
Documents Received at CHICAGO On 29-SEP-2010

I just got all the OCI and US Passports back. Took exactly 30 days from the day CGI Chicago recieved our passports for visa stamping.

Good luck to all of you. If you are in hurry to get OCI stamped, suggest you visit Chicago.

Curious which courier service did you use to send your US passport to the consulate...?

I guess you may be right... :) they may have something against UPS. I had thought that courier is courier, and doesn't matter which one I use. UPS is much closer to my home. And, I had thought that they were just using Fedex and USPS Express just as examples of courier companies and services.

Guptaji,
Please read do's and dont's of the Chicago consulate. They want you send mail by FEDEX or USPS Express only. UPS does not figure in their list. Use FEDEX( I do not get a commission!!!)

I guess you may be right... :) they may have something against UPS. I had thought that courier is courier, and doesn't matter which one I use. UPS is much closer to my home. And, I had thought that they were just using Fedex and USPS Express just as examples of courier companies and services.

I am just taking a guess, watch CNN reports on UPS and Chicago. Could have something to do with this.

I am just taking a guess, watch CNN reports on UPS and Chicago. Could have something to do with this.

If you are referring to today's news about suspicious packages send via UPS and FedEx from Yemen, my letter package went to Chicago consulate on Oct 27 morning, before today's news.

It is just my blind guess that since USPS places a mailbox at a customer location, while courier companies have to leave the package at the door or with the front desk, the consulate may have wanted to just have all the envelopes directly go to its mailbox, rather than bothering the front desk. Now, since FedEx has a tie-up with USPS, FedEx may have been allowed to use USPS placed mailboxes.

You know it is illegal for anyone else to place something in USPS placed mailboxes at a customer location. For example, at my mailbox outside my house, only USPS and myself can legally open my mailbox - not the neighbors and not any courier company.