NZ PhD Student Visa, 5 Month Processing time

Hi doglover, thanks for the reply. Actually that Australian guy was talking about NZ visas itself. He said that NZ visas take time and have high rejection chances especially for south indians, which is why i was worried.

It can be quite frustrating because I left my job without knowing how much time this might take. But yeah you're right, there is hardly anything I can do at this stage. Thanks

All is rumour about NZ, I bet, Better to join some new job, that will help (time-pass).

Anyways in which university u r going for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, I have received my passport with visa stamp and planning to go by mid week of april.

Hi Guys, I have received my passport with visa stamp and planning to go by mid week of april.
@Vogon, you don't need to worry. My case officer told me that dec to april is the most busiest of times for Immigration NZ and it can take more than usual time. Don't worry about your application, as you are from south; these are rubbish rumors. If it is really urgent for you to join your Phd project then you can ask university to send them a mail from their behalf. In my case, it fasten the process a lot.
@irk, thanks for the wishes... yeap....really lucky :cool: . You have applied on 2nd dec and your case officer is allocated so its in process. don't need to worry. just send them the forms, they ask, properly and timely. You will get your visa soon.

Best wishes to all of you. :cool:

@Vogon, you don't need to worry. My case officer told me that dec to april is the most busiest of times for Immigration NZ and it can take more than usual time. Don't worry about your application, as you are from south; these are rubbish rumors. If it is really urgent for you to join your Phd project then you can ask university to send them a mail from their behalf. In my case, it fasten the process a lot.
@irk, thanks for the wishes... yeap....really lucky :cool: . You have applied on 2nd dec and your case officer is allocated so its in process. don't need to worry. just send them the forms, they ask, properly and timely. You will get your visa soon.

Best wishes to all of you. :cool:

Thats gr8, congratulation for the visa stamping:D.

However I differ from what u say to some extent, like-

*In my case visa office allocated to me on 16.November (I applied on 7. August) but they granted me the visa on 6 march (after about 4 month of allocation), same happened with few other members like 'brainexplode' and 'explodesh'; so the conclusion can be drawn from here that allocation of visa officer can't guarantee u that any one will get visa soon.

* In my case my supervisor (very senior official "Director research" of university) also sent them (IPG) an email/Fax about the urgency of my case in September but I got visa after 6 month though the IPG assured him to fasten my case on priority basis. I also know few other people who did the same but this was not of much help for them.

I am not discouraging any body , am just sharing this with other cuz I want them to leave anxiety and undue wait of VISA, it is just to get rid of anticipation of visa before time. But plz don't leave hope and patience.

Remember friends every individual is different with different luck so all applications differ from each other, no comparison at all. So leave the wait, just pray and party. Have fun in life. It will help. Nothing to worry u all will get visa sooner or later.

Good luck to all

Hi all. @ doglover, first of all thank you for such discussion.
Yes, it is true that each individual is treated differently and somehow I am lucky :) but still i feel that depending on urgency the immigration NZ can fasten the process a little. Actually i had applied for the visa on 16th nov,2009 and till 23rd jan I had no response from them. I mailed my supervisor and my funding agency on the last week of jan 2010 and a letter was sent to Immigration NZ by the administrative officer of UC. The letter was sent to the Manager of the IPG dept. describing detail of my project and field experiment to be started on april,2010. On 1st Feb my case officer was allotted and I got my visa sanctioned on 12 march.
Yeap..I am lucky :) but my case officer was also efficient and understood my position. Again how could i say that the recommendation does not work??
It is true that in some cases recommendations did not work.. but still hope for the best. Again best of wishes to all of you guys. You will get your visa soon.

@ doglover, where are you going by the way? I have to go to Christchurch

@sanmu

ll go to Palmerston north, but it is delayed for couple of month. At Christchurch u ll find Mr. Brainexplode ( thread starter) wish u good luck

Hi every body,
I am new in this forum. I have also applied for the damn PhD student visa since 14th December 2009. Now, As I checked with my Case Officer, my application was sent to the Verification.
Does anybody know where the documents will be sent for this verification? (My home country, IRAN, or another department in Wellington?). Furthermore, how long it will take to process?

Hope to receive the Visa.

Hi every body,
I am new in this forum. I have also applied for the damn PhD student visa since 14th December 2009. Now, As I checked with my Case Officer, my application was sent to the Verification.
Does anybody know where the documents will be sent for this verification? (My home country, IRAN, or another department in Wellington?). Furthermore, how long it will take to process?

Hope to receive the Visa.
Hi,
Just give a go at this thread, u will have a Idea about all the process and timeline. Usually the total time line ( application -visa approval) varies between 3-8 months. No specific criteria Y late and Y so early !

IPG is a clandestine Branch and no one exactly knows about its working exactly , However I guess they sent docs for verification to some other department.

Best wishes

Hi every body,
I am new in this forum. I am facing some problem.
I have received a conditional offer letter for admission in PhD in Otago university. The reason for conditional offer is not fulfilling English language requirements. I have applied for IELTS. Meanwhile to save time I want to apply for VISA with this letter. So that my process will start,in the mean time I will get my unconditional letter.

This thing will work or not. Should I wait for unconditional letter and then apply for VISA.

Kind regards.

Hi
As I had the same problem, the conditional offer is just simply a notification not an official letter of offer.
Best wishes

Hi every body,
I am new in this forum. I am facing some problem.
I have received a conditional offer letter for admission in PhD in Otago university. The reason for conditional offer is not fulfilling English language requirements. I have applied for IELTS. Meanwhile to save time I want to apply for VISA with this letter. So that my process will start,in the mean time I will get my unconditional letter.

This thing will work or not. Should I wait for unconditional letter and then apply for VISA.

Kind regards.

Hello Night fox. If u r from India, please check the Immigration NZ New Delhi link. You will find an updated checklist for application of student visa. All the necessary conditions (including documents required) are given there.

I think a firm offer of place is the first necessary condition for application of student visa. You will also need to provide IELTS score to the Immigration. So in my opinion it is better to get IELTS score as well as a firm offer letter first and then apply for the visa otherwise it may create unnecessary complications.

Cheers.

Can anybody suggest me

I have got Admission to a PhD Program in Physics Department at University of Otago. I have got Full Scholarship for pursuing my course. I have filed for Visa on 25/01/2010. On 10/02/2010, I have received a mail from Immigration Department (IPG) Wellington, stating that they have received my File. They have also mentioned that I am in queue and it would take a month or two to allocate an Immigration officer. Since then I have not heard anything from them. Therefore I have called up the Immigration office to inquire the status of my application on 01/04/2010. I was told that an Immigration officer has been allocated on 01/03/2010 itself. But he has not mailed me or asked for any documents. I have found out the name and email Id of my Immigration officer and I have mailed him asking him my status. But still he is not replying. Now I am really feeling tensed. I am not even understanding what's going on. Can any body suggest me what should I do now?CA

Hi guys,

I received an email from my immigration officer on friday. He apologized for the delay and said there is a backlog of applications at the moment. He said that my documents are currently undergoing verification.

@niru2nz Dont worry, my case was similar. I applied on 13th Nov 2009 and application reached IPG on 1st Dec. Nobody got in touch and when I called them in march they said an officer was allocated on Feb 8th. After that my prof also wrote to them a couple times but there was no reply. Finally just the other day the immigration officer got in touch with me to inform that its undergoing verification. So if the officer has not contacted you for so long it probably means that they have completed assessment and that your documents are in order and nothing more is needed.

Also, me and my prof's other student from Iran applied for visa at the same time. The immigration officers got in touch with both of us only recently and both of them said there was a backlog of applications. So dont feel tensed, this does not mean that something is wrong, they will get in touch with you in due course.

Hi

NO need to email them , call them or contact them by any means, it will be of no worth! Have patience, pray and wait.

Remember they are working:cool:

NZ is waiting u then y u worry!

Hi

I thank the both the user with names Viz.. vogonpoetry and doglover for the reply. The Information was useful. By the way which university are you going to pursue your PhD and what is the area of your research?

@DOGLOVER
I am fine and good. NZ is a good place. What about u ? When u r coming NZ. Well by the way I am in Otago. When you come by then let me know and we will have a good time. Its very good to see that this thread is still alive.

@NIRU
You should send multiple emails to your visa officer. See I got my visa officer in 5 months. I got my visa in about 9-10 months. So be patient. Once your documents verification starts then there are 100% chances that you will get visa but you must have provided all correct information to the officer. SO don't be worry. HOPE IS THE ONLY SINGLE INVENTION OF LIFE. Just enjoy your time there with the family as you miss these things here :). Moreover I am in Otago University. if you want to get some information then you can send email to me at slash_freddie@hotmail.com.

BEST OF LUCK TO REST OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM

Documents for spouse

Hi all

So finally got my visa , but just for 1 year. Thank God they granted my visa to me along with my family.

Hi doglover,

My Visa office contacted me today and asked me for sending photographs of us as a couple and evidence that my wife & me are staying together. I saw that even you applied for your wife's work permit what was the evidence that you supplied for the application? I've already supplied them with photgraphs and current & telephone bills and marriage certificate as a proof along with my original application, is there anything in particular that I should send apart from these?

Hi doglover,

My Visa office contacted me today and asked me for sending photographs of us as a couple and evidence that my wife & me are staying together. I saw that even you applied for your wife's work permit what was the evidence that you supplied for the application? I've already supplied them with photgraphs and current & telephone bills and marriage certificate as a proof along with my original application, is there anything in particular that I should send apart from these?

Could you tell me how these bills well help you as the proof of Staying together?!