NZ PhD Student Visa, 5 Month Processing time

I have not heard back from IPG at all although I wrote to them twice and my supervisor also wrote to them. I called them up and they said that a case officer was allocated on Feb 8th, but nobody got in touch with me. I suppose this means that my case officer still hasn't got to my file. I am very worried about the long wait.

Another doubt: did you guys pay the fees before applying for visa? My consultant had advised me not to pay fees before applying, and only to show funds. But later I read somewhere that somebody's visa was rejected because he didn't pay fees. And I don't have a scholarship either. Does that mean a longer waiting time or higher chances of rejection? Please help!

This link that brainexplode shared a while ago states that student permit applications are processed in 30 working days. What is the difference between a student permit and visa? I thought we applied to both simultaneously...?

Don't worry , don't expect to much, In my case 7 month gone , no response from IPG, I have already paid my fee just b4 visa application, still waiting for visa, better is not to send any sort of fee to them , they will tell u at some later stage to deposit ur fee, then after that they will pass ur file , U ll definitely get ur visa, no problem at all buddy.

Student visa is required to go across the borders of New Zealand as a student and a permit is required to enter the NZ, so u ll get ur visa here and then permit when u ll land at NZ, at airport.

Finally my visa has approved yesterday. I applied for visa in May 09 and it took about 10 months to get visa approval.

This forum has helped me a lot as I used to think that I am the only one who is suffering delay in visa. Well best of luck to rest on this forum. I hope that you all will get visa soon.

Heartiest congratulation dude, Best wishes

Even when visiting New Zealand for tourism purposes, one gets a 3 month "permit" at the airport on your US/Canadian passport.

Student visa is required to go across the borders of New Zealand as a student and a permit is required to enter the NZ, so u ll get ur visa here and then permit when u ll land at NZ, at airport.

Thanks guys for clarifying. This forum seems to be the only source of support on NZ PhD visa.

Can anyone please also clarify about my lack of scholarship? Are there chances of rejection for this? I have shown about 16 lakhs of funds in FDs, mutual funds, PF etc of my dad.

Thanks guys for clarifying. This forum seems to be the only source of support on NZ PhD visa.

Can anyone please also clarify about my lack of scholarship? Are there chances of rejection for this? I have shown about 16 lakhs of funds in FDs, mutual funds, PF etc of my dad.

U have shown the enough money , but chances of rejection are still there,data shows that IPG rejects about 20% of the application. I am also not sure regarding the fate of my application as v are in the same boat, no scholarship at all.

Best wishes

Hi all

So finally got my visa , but just for 1 year. Thank God they granted my visa to me along with my family.

@dglover

Congrats a lot!!! Every one gets visa for 1 year Initially. It is extended from NZ then. Now just make preparations and leave :)

Congrats doglover!! All the very best for your research and your life there :) It would be helpful for everyone on the forum if you just wrote the step-by-step of the last phases before you got your visa. i.e. how often IPG contacted you, whether they indicated in how much time you'll get visa etc.

I guess I'm the only one left on this forum now. According to the 7 month wait that seems average now I hope to get visa by May end or June max.

Congrats doglover!! All the very best for your research and your life there :) It would be helpful for everyone on the forum if you just wrote the step-by-step of the last phases before you got your visa. i.e. how often IPG contacted you, whether they indicated in how much time you'll get visa etc.

I guess I'm the only one left on this forum now. According to the 7 month wait that seems average now I hope to get visa by May end or June max.

Thanks for the wishes, I ll be in touch on this forum.

Regarding IPG I would like to suggest that one should not contact them via mail or phone. They give dam to these things. When they feel like giving the visa they will contact u themselves and approve it with in 3-4 days as in my case after long wait of 7 months they emailed on 1.3.2010 just to know the date on which I have submitted the updated required document. I replied on the same day and today I got a mail mentioned they approved visa.

In these day, the maximum time heard for getting student visa for Phd in NZ is 9--10 month(pronovchettri,explodesh) and the least is just 3 months( forevermark), so u can get ur visa at any time in between. Don't worry u ll get it soon. BUT DON"T BOTHER THEM BY WRITING UNNECESSARY MAILS ETC. THEY KNOW WELL THAT WHEN IS THE TIME TO GRANT A VISA. U will be surprised to know that they don't even bother to acknowledge about the receipt of any document (If any required during the processing of visa application) so take these things easy.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats a lot!!! Every one gets visa for 1 year Initially. It is extended from NZ then. Now just make preparations and leave :)
Many thanx for the wishes. Any ways regarding leaving to NZ, it will take time in my case as I have to complete few projects here.May b in the month of may or June, i will decide later on.We should be in contact on this forum to help each other. I expect u must share ur post landing experience with us on this forum.best wishes for ur journey.

@doglover

Congrats for your visa.

Although I m new in this forum, I am constantly in touch with this forum since Nov,2009. I have also applied for the Phd study visa on 16 th nov and still waiting. My phd project will start in april, 2010. I have applied to UC, Christchurch. The forum has helped a lot.

@doglover

Congrats for your visa.

Although I m new in this forum, I am constantly in touch with this forum since Nov,2009. I have also applied for the Phd study visa on 16 th nov and still waiting. My phd project will start in april, 2010. I have applied to UC, Christchurch. The forum has helped a lot.

Thanks for the wishes, No problem u will get ur visa soon.

Hi all, finally my visa has been approved. It took 3 months and 26 days. I have also sent my passport for stamping.

I'm new to this forum as well, have learnt a lot , thanks to all of you. Its good to see many of you finally getting visas.
I've applied for a student visa (PhD) on the 2nd Dec , got to hear that I have a Visa officer allocated to my application only a couple of weeks ago, but havent heard anything from him directly.
@sanmu you seem to be the luckiest. also congrats to doglover, brain explode and all the best to the rest of you who are still awaiting.
Anybody interested in giving me some direction/help , just wanted to talk to any of you guys to understand your profiles and match my own to understand how much longer it might take
for mine to come through. Thanks a lot in advance

@irk

Many thanks for the wishes. Nice to hear that ur visa officer has been allocated.:) within a reasonable time. In my case it took around four month to hear from Visa officer so u will hopefully be contacted by her/him in next few days. Best wishes.

Regarding Biodata's and time lines ; just keep in mind that every case is different and each applicant is individual, there is nothing like matching, moreover v can't compare each others luck (Visa is a game of luck to some extent), I have seen both the cases with time limit of 10 months and 2.5 months, everybody is going for PhD at reputed universities along with scholarship but only time frame varied (so the factor behind that is LUCK and not the bio-data). My advice to u is just try to ignore the anxiety , have patience and stop waiting because ur time will be easily passed if u will give a dam to it (its my personal experience) . No need to contact them (remember they are working) , it will further delay ur case!! They will contact whenever they feel like.

U did ur duty well , now it is their duty to grant u the visa. U can't do much now. Just believe in destiny. Have faith in God.:)

New Zealand is waiting u. Stay cool.:cool:

doglover

Hi guys,

One of my dad's friends who's settled in Australia told me that a lot of visas for South Indian applicants get rejected! Can someone please shed some light here? I'm from Bangalore and feeling very uneasy about this...

I have still not heard from my Immigration officer. I applied on Nov 13th, it reached IPG on Dec 1st 2009. The immigration call center informed me that an officer was allocated to me on Feb 8th 2010. I should have atleast heard from the officer by now right? Very worried...

Hi guys,

One of my dad's friends who's settled in Australia told me that a lot of visas for South Indian applicants get rejected! Can someone please shed some light here? I'm from Bangalore and feeling very uneasy about this...

I have still not heard from my Immigration officer. I applied on Nov 13th, it reached IPG on Dec 1st 2009. The immigration call center informed me that an officer was allocated to me on Feb 8th 2010. I should have atleast heard from the officer by now right? Very worried...

It is true but for NORTHINDIANS and not for south Indian.Moreover NZ and Australia are not same, R they, any doubt? So u will get ur visa soon

Y do u worry, I told u don't panic, U can't do much at this stage, have some patience. Try to avoid visa anxiety, get ur self busy in other work, study, job etc.

U know the time line of other people ( even up to 10 month) then y r u waiting ?? just keep ur finger crossed and pray. It is the maximum u can do at this moment.

Buddy don't worry. NZ is waiting u , u ll get ur visa soon.

best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi doglover, thanks for the reply. Actually that Australian guy was talking about NZ visas itself. He said that NZ visas take time and have high rejection chances especially for south indians, which is why i was worried.

It can be quite frustrating because I left my job without knowing how much time this might take. But yeah you're right, there is hardly anything I can do at this stage. Thanks