NZ PhD Student Visa, 5 Month Processing time

The country was India. I applied for a visit visa as a Canadian citizen. Since I was born in Pakistan, they wanted to run a background check on me. That background check took 22 months to complete.

@Triple Citizen, you waited for 22 months for a visitor visa??? gosh! for which country? Do you mind sharing your experience of it in here, citing the reason for which the delay took place?

Hey, finally my visa getting approved! May 25, 2009 to Dec 22, 2009 7 months... gosh! but i am so happy... probably the best christmas gift ever... i hope you all too get your visa ASAP.. thanks to all.... :) BRAINXPLODE...

@Triple Citizen... thanks for all your wishes... i have just received my passport with the visa stamp on Dec 28, 2009... :) so thats a good news once again for me..

@doglover... thanks so much.. i am sure u too would be getting your visa ASAP.. i told you.. its just a matter of time..

@explodesh

I am still waiting for visa, moreover I lost the hope to get it ever( applied on 7 august 2009)

What about others?

Hi Pranav

We are in the same boat, I am also going to Massey university, kindly sent some of your contact details here, we will be in touch, I applied on 7th august 2009, still waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally my visa has approved yesterday. I applied for visa in May 09 and it took about 10 months to get visa approval.

This forum has helped me a lot as I used to think that I am the only one who is suffering delay in visa. Well best of luck to rest on this forum. I hope that you all will get visa soon.

Finally my visa has approved yesterday. I applied for visa in May 09 and it took about 10 months to get visa approval.

This forum has helped me a lot as I used to think that I am the only one who is suffering delay in visa. Well best of luck to rest on this forum. I hope that you all will get visa soon.

Congrats explodesh!! All's well that ends well. All the very best with your studies :) Have a great time in NZ.

I have not heard back from IPG at all although I wrote to them twice and my supervisor also wrote to them. I called them up and they said that a case officer was allocated on Feb 8th, but nobody got in touch with me. I suppose this means that my case officer still hasn't got to my file. I am very worried about the long wait.

Another doubt: did you guys pay the fees before applying for visa? My consultant had advised me not to pay fees before applying, and only to show funds. But later I read somewhere that somebody's visa was rejected because he didn't pay fees. And I don't have a scholarship either. Does that mean a longer waiting time or higher chances of rejection? Please help!

This link that brainexplode shared a while ago states that student permit applications are processed in 30 working days. What is the difference between a student permit and visa? I thought we applied to both simultaneously...?

Last edited by a moderator: