NSC / St. Paul ( MN) timeline

Do you plan to go back to India? What advantage does a PIO/OCI offer you over a tourist visa to India?

Applied for passport(Expedite) - 9/21/2007
Received Passport via Priority Mail -10/2/2007

:D:D

Time to apply for the PIO. (thinking for getting PIO rather than OCI) since processing time for the OCI appears to be very slow. Also, chicago has stopped all OCI applications.

Do you plan to go back to India? What advantage does a PIO/OCI offer you over a tourist visa to India?

Not anytime soon but PIO/OCI is like the american green card. It is valid for 15 years and allows you come and go anytime without the need for a visa. There are some other benefits also.

Pasaporte Recieved today

4 months 12 days not bad at all
PD May 8th 2007
FP June 28th 2007
ID Aug 21st 2007
Sep 6th 2007 recieved oath Letter
Sep 20th Attende Oath and Certificate recieved
Sep 20th Applied pp me & wife expedited
Oct 3rd Recieved wife PP from Aurora,CO
Oct 6th Recieved my PP from Aurora, CO

Pleasant interview experience

I had my interview this morning. I went there around 15 minutes before time. I was called in on time, sworn in and the officer went through the application, made me sign the photographs and then asked me 6 questions. I got all right so did not ask more. He gave me a congratulations letter. He said the oath date is currently running for November/December. Since I have a planned overseas trip in December, I requested for a delayed Oath (26th January). I have requested a name change and I would not have time for a new passport and an overseas visa for a November end ceremony. I thus thought doing it early next year would be prudent. The officer was very professional in his conduct and was well organized. I had no tickets, no overseas visit, same job as my H1B and so my case was pretty much a simple case. He said he would see if he could accomodate me in the October oath ceremony and if not would send it for January. But if I did receive a December ceremony invitation, I should contact his office to get it rescheduled.

From my experience, to keep things more organized, keep your passport, ID and Green card separate because these are the only things that was asked of me. I had a blue ball point pen - one needs a black one, so carry that. Anyway the officer lent me his spare one, so it was not a big problem. All in all, a pleasant experience.

I will update after my oath ceremony, my experience for the benefit of those who are to follow me. I would request the "silent members" and "lurkers" who read others experiences to give back something to the community by writing their own experiences, because anything less would be selfish. Good luck to every one:)

FOIPA Request process

Hi,

Since my N400 application has been stuck since Dec 2006 without an IL in sight, I plan to start doing what must be done. Plan to send in a FOIPA request. What are the steps?

Thanks.

AP

How to file FOIPA - link

Hi Tabaliya

Follow this link, click on the links to the right and download a FOIPA form. The form MUST be notarized and sent by mail (not fax).

Request a FOIPA of your "cross reference files" in addition to your "main files". This is what is done in USCIS FBI name checks.

It will take a month or so to get a response back.

Good luck and do provide an update.

Hi,

Since my N400 application has been stuck since Dec 2006 without an IL in sight, I plan to start doing what must be done. Plan to send in a FOIPA request. What are the steps?

Thanks.

AP

Minnesota field office contact number.

Did anyone contact the local Minnesota field office, my wife wants to reschedule her oath date; if anyone has the local contact number it will be very helpful.

Hi ISN

I had my interview earlier this month and was told to expect a December interview. I told the officer I would prefer a January interview because of a planned overseas trip in December. He put a note in my file to that effect, but said in case I still get an Oath date for December, I should just send a written note back to the St. Paul office (and address would be on the oath letter) asking for a new date and it would not be a problem.

When did your wife receive her Oath letter? Is her Oath currently scheduled for 21st November? If so there is enough time to send a written note back. Though an info pass also would be a way to do reschedule the Oath. No doubt doing it on the phone would be the best. Let me know the outcome of your efforts. Good luck.

Did anyone contact the local Minnesota field office, my wife wants to reschedule her oath date; if anyone has the local contact number it will be very helpful.

Hi ISN

I had my interview earlier this month and was told to expect a December interview. I told the officer I would prefer a January interview because of a planned overseas trip in December. He put a note in my file to that effect, but said in case I still get an Oath date for December, I should just send a written note back to the St. Paul office (and address would be on the oath letter) asking for a new date and it would not be a problem.

When did your wife receive her Oath letter? Is her Oath currently scheduled for 21st November? If so there is enough time to send a written note back. Though an info pass also would be a way to do reschedule the Oath. No doubt doing it on the phone would be the best. Let me know the outcome of your efforts. Good luck.

Hi brb2,

My wife received her oath letter on 10/27/2007 and she was asked to appear for the oath on Jan 9th 2008. She has to go to India on Jan 14 to attend a wedding so she has sent a written request to accommodate her in the Nov or Dec ceremony, lets see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ISN

What date did your wife have her interview? I had mine on 11th of this month and the officer told me that they are currently doing December oath dates. I told him there is no way I can do December, and asked for 21st November or 16th January. I too am planning an overseas visit, and since I have requested a name change and need a new US passport and a visa there is no way I can do an Oath in December.

Did your wife not mention a preferred oath date after the interview? If your wife does an Oath she will still need to do an expedited Passport and an expedited Indian Visa. I might get a November oath too, but am not counting on it, and in a sense I will be happy not to get the November Oath date, because I will need to spend at least $300 or so extra for the expedited passport and visa. I plan to use privated expedited services for both of these items if I have an Oath date for November. I might just see you guys if both your wife and I get a November Oath date!

Hi brb2,

My wife received her oath letter on 10/27/2007 and she was asked to appear for the oath on Jan 9th 2008. She has to go to India on Jan 14 to attend a wedding so she has sent a written request to accommodate her in the Nov or Dec ceremony, lets see what happens.

Hi ISN

What date did your wife have her interview? I had mine on 11th of this month and the officer told me that they are currently doing December oath dates. I told him there is no way I can do December, and asked for 21st November or 16th January. I too am planning an overseas visit, and since I have requested a name change and need a new US passport and a visa there is no way I can do an Oath in December.

Did your wife not mention a preferred oath date after the interview? If your wife does an Oath she will still need to do an expedited Passport and an expedited Indian Visa. I might get a November oath too, but am not counting on it, and in a sense I will be happy not to get the November Oath date, because I will need to spend at least $300 or so extra for the expedited passport and visa. I plan to use privated expedited services for both of these items if I have an Oath date for November. I might just see you guys if both your wife and I get a November Oath date!

Priority Date: May 21st 2007
FP Date: July 10th 2007
Interview: September 25th 2007

My wife did not request a preferred date, the trip was not planned at that time so she did not mention anything to the officer.

I hope she gets for the 21st November date, because 19th December will leave her with very little time for the US passport AND Indian Visa.

Thanks for the dates. It is clear to me that I am very unlikely to get a November or December date, and a January 18th or so date (or if not 26 January) date is more likely. In a way I am happy because I don't have the hassle of the new passport and new visa (which is on my current Australian Passport).

Please update any developments at your end. I will do the same here.
Priority Date: May 21st 2007
FP Date: July 10th 2007
Interview: September 25th 2007

My wife did not request a preferred date, the trip was not planned at that time so she did not mention anything to the officer.

Ok folks I have to ask, how is it that you are getting priority dates 2/3 days after application mail in date? I mailed mine on 10/25/07 to NSC. USPS (US Post) return receipt says they received it on 10/29/07. And I don't have anything else, the check hasn't been cashed yet.
Did you mail it directly to the District Office in St Paul. Am I missing something here?
Btw., I have to change my handle from the last time I was on this forum, the card has been green for about 5 years now.

Typically one may get the Notice of Action letter in a month (currently much later) and that NOA would show a Priority Date (PD) of the day the application reached NSC. Posters would then update their signature with the PD. It does not mean they received NOA letter right away.

You are obviously a person of few words:) 4 postings in over 5 years.

What is your timeline? Please add a signature - it is more efficient than typing in the updates to the dates, in every post.

Ok folks I have to ask, how is it that you are getting priority dates 2/3 days after application mail in date? I mailed mine on 10/25/07 to NSC. USPS (US Post) return receipt says they received it on 10/29/07. And I don't have anything else, the check hasn't been cashed yet.
Did you mail it directly to the District Office in St Paul. Am I missing something here?
Btw., I have to change my handle from the last time I was on this forum, the card has been green for about 5 years now.

Typically one may get the Notice of Action letter in a month (currently much later) and that NOA would show a Priority Date (PD) of the day the application reached NSC. Posters would then update their signature with the PD. It does not mean they received NOA letter right away.
Thanks. Here's my timeline

Hello,

I did follow your suggestion but got back the standard response from the FBI (it was very quick - a week or so) saying no records found on a search of the main files.

How do I urge/force them to do a search for cross references? I did put in a request in the FOIPA form but to no avail. I guess this is all they do on a FOIPA request.

AP

Hi Tabaliya

Follow this link, click on the links to the right and download a FOIPA form. The form MUST be notarized and sent by mail (not fax).

Request a FOIPA of your "cross reference files" in addition to your "main files". This is what is done in USCIS FBI name checks.

It will take a month or so to get a response back.

Good luck and do provide an update.

Well the letter has also an appeals section. Appeal and ask for a cross reference file check. Follow the process outlined in the letter you received.

Hello,

I did follow your suggestion but got back the standard response from the FBI (it was very quick - a week or so) saying no records found on a search of the main files.

How do I urge/force them to do a search for cross references? I did put in a request in the FOIPA form but to no avail. I guess this is all they do on a FOIPA request.

AP