November 2009 family based filers, post here

So when you guys get your EAD's will you be able to work?? I'm just wondering .... because I've been reading in this thread that on the SSN that we get b4 we actually get the green card says "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHOTIZAION ONLY."

I'm confused, but I really hope I can work as soon as I get the SSN.

well yes the SS Card will say "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHORIZATION ONLY" but thats not a problem because EAD = INS WORK AUTHORIZATION, so when you apply somewhere and you give a copy of your SS CARD just attach a copy of the EAD with it.

The SS card that says "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHORIZATION ONLY" can be used to file taxes with too, right?

Do we have to appear in person at the SSA to get those conditions removed from the card, like we have to appear in person to get the card in the first place?

The SS card that says "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHORIZATION ONLY" can be used to file taxes with too, right?

Do we have to appear in person at the SSA to get those conditions removed from the card, like we have to appear in person to get the card in the first place?

Yes. I am in the same position. My H1B has SSN which states "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHORIZATION ONLY" - I have filed my taxes every year with that SSN. Once I clear my GC interview (after approval) I will be personally going to the SSA office to change the SSN status. We have to re-file the SSN form again! They will be sending a new card (same number) with the INS condition removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
well yes the SS Card will say "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHORIZATION ONLY" but thats not a problem because EAD = INS WORK AUTHORIZATION, so when you apply somewhere and you give a copy of your SS CARD just attach a copy of the EAD with it.

Ok thank you 4 replying. I'm so glad, I can't wait 2 work!

Ok thank you! It is difficult for me to get to the SSA as it is not that close, I don;t have the car during the day, I have 2 toddlers, and DH has trouble getting time off work to take me.

So instead of getting the one with conditions attached and then going to get it again, I'll just wait until after the interview and go once - my interview is only 2.5 weeks away.

OH - just thought of a few things:

1. If I am a stay-at-home-mum and don;t work, does it really matter if my SSN has the condition attached?

2. Can I get it changed at any time (like after I get my NY license and can drive there myself in say 6 months time)?

3. Can you go and get the card without conditions attached as soon as you have done your interview, or do you have to wait until you get the GC? If that is the case, I might just go ahead an apply - I want the ssn not for working, but for getting my driving license and for generating my own credit reports (we are hoping to get a house by the summer). Having the conditions on the card wouldn't really matter if I can go and apply to have it removed at a much later date.

They only time an employer would ask to see your SS card is when you fill out an I-9 at the start of employment. However, a SS card just proves the right to work in the US, and you would still need to prove identity (such as a drivers license). However, you can use a GC to prove employment authorization and identity, so you won't have to show your employer your SS card.

1. If I am a stay-at-home-mum and don;t work, does it really matter if my SSN has the condition attached?

2. Can I get it changed at any time (like after I get my NY license and can drive there myself in say 6 months time)?

3. Can you go and get the card without conditions attached as soon as you have done your interview, or do you have to wait until you get the GC?

1. No
2. Yes
3. Wait for the GC

Ok thank you! It is difficult for me to get to the SSA as it is not that close, I don;t have the car during the day, I have 2 toddlers, and DH has trouble getting time off work to take me.

So instead of getting the one with conditions attached and then going to get it again, I'll just wait until after the interview and go once - my interview is only 2.5 weeks away.

I think this would be a wise decision.

OH - just thought of a few things:

It shouldn't matter but it is important to keep you SSN updated with your current immigration status.

I don't think it would create problems but get it changed whenever possible.

3. Can you go and get the card without conditions attached as soon as you have done your interview, or do you have to wait until you get the GC? If that is the case, I might just go ahead an apply - I want the ssn not for working, but for getting my driving license and for generating my own credit reports (we are hoping to get a house by the summer). Having the conditions on the card wouldn't really matter if I can go and apply to have it removed at a much later date.

I don't think I can update the SSN with my passport stamp (the stamp of approval). I will have to wait for the physical card.

The SSN with or without conditions can be used to apply for bank accounts, driver's license etc. - it shouldn't be a problem.

Forgot to mention - My i-765 was "last updated" on 1/11. I wish that it means that the EAD was mailed :)

Did I miss anything?

Interview Coming up and the preparation begins -

Marriage Certificate (Original from Catholic Church - India)
Joint Bank Account
Joint Investment Account
Benificary on wife's 403B Account
Wife Beneficiary on my 401K Account
House Deed
Mortgage Papers
Joint Cellphone Bill
Joint Car Insurance
Joint Health Insurance
Wedding photographs (2 Albums = 100+photos)

My employment letter, H1B, EAD, AP etc.
Wife's employment letter
Tax Transcipt (copy from IRS 3 years)
W2 (wife and myself 3 years)
Wife's Naturization Cert
Wife's US Passport

Is this enough?

EAD ordered but no Interview Letter

Should I be concerned that I got an updated status on 01/07 that my EAD was going to be produced but I have not had an interview letter yet....?

Thanks

Doesn't mean anything. Stop trying to predict what USCIS is doing, and worrying too much. Your interview date depends mostly on the backlog at your local DO. If you do not hear anything from USCIS within 2-3 months from filing, you can schedule an infopass and find out what's happening.

Should I be concerned that I got an updated status on 01/07 that my EAD was going to be produced but I have not had an interview letter yet....?

Thanks

Thanks!

Doesn't mean anything. Stop trying to predict what USCIS is doing, and worrying too much. Your interview date depends mostly on the backlog at your local DO. If you do not hear anything from USCIS within 2-3 months from filing, you can schedule an infopass and find out what's happening.

Last evening received another email indicating that EAD card production has been ordered

District Office - Albany, NY
11/04/09: Day 0 - Packet sent (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765) by USPS
11/05/09: Day 1 - Packet delivered
11/10/09: Day 6 - Received NOA
Case Status: Initial review
11/20/09: Day 16 - Received Notice for FP on 12/04
12/04/09 : Day 30: FP Done. I 765 touched
12/07/09 : Day 33: I 765 touched again
12/21/09 : Day 47: Received IL
01/05/10: Day 62 : I 131-Advance Parole Approved
01/08/10: Day 65 : EAD Card production ordered
01/25/10 : Day 82: Interview Date