November 2009 family based filers, post here

On the topic related to SSN:

Last year folks (married filing jointly) who don't have SSN for spouse were not eligible for $1500 tax credit given by government.

But as most of us on this thread have submitted AOS package and are in process or have already received SSN. Does anyone know or has experience filing some kind of tax amendment forms/papers and get the credit this year.

If we receive can think of it as AOS package refund fees ($1465) :p

Thoughts?

I don;t think we can get it - but I hope someone tells me I'm wrong! :)

Just got another EAD card production email today and my online status was updated to today with same info - maybe that means it was mailed?

I think you will get it by the end of the week :)

Hopefully tomorrow I will get this kind of notification as well :rolleyes:

Yep, you have to send your EAD, passport and maybe birth certificate too - that's why if you don't live close enough to go in person it's too dicey this close to the interview.

I know they send them right back, but it doesn't take much for something to happen and for you not to get those documents back in time. I know I'll be sweating the whole time those documents are out of my possession as it is! Can you imagine losing your passport and EAD in the mail?

that would truly suck. you are right. it is better not to risk it since your interview date is so close, unless you go in person of course.
I live about 15 minutes away from the SSA, so i will go when my ead comes.
Let's see how alboto's process went and what they asked for etc.
Oh and i read that everyone gets a second notification on the ead,so i think that means that your card has been mailed. Yay:)

and congrats to immig_geek and kostyan for getting their interview letters and to ahsieh for the ead.

On the SS-5 (application for a social security card) it states if you are over 12 and never received a social security card before you must apply in person.

On the SS-5 (application for a social security card) it states if you are over 12 and never received a social security card before you must apply in person.

That's what I had assumed - but I posted about it on here and was told different. I'll see if I can find the post.

whtmyid: 01/19
ahsieh: 01/21
resident1374: 01/21
geekinsanjose: 01/22
Josss78: 01/25
alboto: 01/26
irishexport: 02/02
kostyan: 02/18
immig_geek: 02/10

Please post your post-interview experiences i.e. after your interview.

Thanks for the summary, I will post our experience after the interview

My mom had FP on 01/08/10...went in and out within 10 minutes. The last updated date is changed on I-485 after FP and now it is 01/11/2010. Updated the signature too...

Good Luck! Thanks, Raj

As soon as you recive your EAD (Work permit) You can go to the SSN Administration Office and Apply, you will need: EAD, Passport ( ID), Birth Certificate (if applying for the first time). An You will get your SSCard a week later. You have to do the same when you get your GC, and they will take of the restriction (VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHOTIZAION ONLY)from your card!
Good Luck!

Ok, so it appears I misunderstood and you do definitely have to go in person to apply for your SSN.

But now I'm wondering if you get the restricted one (before your interview) do you have to go back again in person to have it changed? If that is so it would definitely make more sense for me to wait until after Feb 2nd.

Also, do you have to go to the SSA office nearest your home, or will any one do? If the latter I could go to the one in Albany right after my interview, and then DH won't have to try to take time off work to take me to the one nearest our home during business hours.

Qs. about address of I-765?

Hi all,

I wanted to know if what I have researched is correct.

Is the address to send the 765 for EAD separate than 131 & 130 & 485? Then do I have to pay a separate fee too for EAD?

Pls. Help!
Rid_prag

Hi all,

I wanted to know if what I have researched is correct.

Is the address to send the 765 for EAD separate than 131 & 130 & 485? Then do I have to pay a separate fee too for EAD?

Pls. Help!
Rid_prag

There is no separate fee if you are filing 765 along with 485. The address is the same for all the applications, send the package with each application and supporting documents in a separate folder and mail it to the address specified on I-130

went to the SSA

Hello everyone, well I went to the SSA and all they asked me for was my EAD and my passport, even tho I had state ID(license) they still asked for the passport, but everything went smooth.

Hello everyone, well I went to the SSA and all they asked me for was my EAD and my passport, even tho I had state ID(license) they still asked for the passport, but everything went smooth.

congrats alboto!
so the birth certificate is not necessary?
did they tell you how long it will take for the actual card to come?

congrats alboto!
so the birth certificate is not necessary?
did they tell you how long it will take for the actual card to come?

not birth certificate, just passport with the EAD; the gave me a letter that says 2 weeks but the lady told me 10 to 12 days max, and well my parents went to that office last wednesday and dad got his social on monday, my mom is still waiting.

So when you guys get your EAD's will you be able to work?? I'm just wondering .... because I've been reading in this thread that on the SSN that we get b4 we actually get the green card says "VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHOTIZAION ONLY."

I'm confused, but I really hope I can work as soon as I get the SSN.