Norfolk, VA timeline and N400 related Q

Got my IL today - updated signature accordingly.
It'll be a January 14 trip to Norfolk. Let's hope for decent tunnel traffic!!!

tobias2801,

My wife has interview on Jan 12th. I did not receive any notification/mail yet.
When we went for FP, there were multiple accidents and had to take detour.

Good Luck with your interview.

Can anyone with recent Norfolk DO experience tell me if it will be possible for my wife to accompany me to the interview? I know she would have to wait in the lobby/waiting room but does the Norfolk DO permit spouses in the building?
I applied for USC based on marriage and it would be nice to have her there for moral support!

Yes you can take your whole family if you like, my interview was at 8:15 in the morning and it went well.

Also, I had forgotten my password for this forum and finally remembered, so here is my case update

I interviewed on Nov 18th I think, and my Oath happened yesterday, in Richmond, on Dec 16th.

Congratulations bullsnbears !!

Please post your interview experience. So it took almost a month for the Oath ceremony.
If you can share your experience, it will help us.

tobias2801,

Thanks! Let me know how your wife's interview goes as it'll be two days before mine!

I received my IL letter last week and yesterday received YL. I have read many posts that YL comes first, in my case it came later. My interview is on 25th January @ 8 AM. I may have to leave Home by 5.30 AM.

YL is requesting to bring state identification.

tobias2801,

rakeshr-
All the best for your wife today! Let me know how things go as it will my turn on Thursday.

Hi tobias2801,

Sorry couldn't post any earlier. Interview was fine. Interview was at 10 AM and we reached Norfolk around 8.45 AM. We went inside the building around 9.30 AM. There were 7-8 people for Citizenship interview. Interview lasted for around 20-30 minutes. Oath is on 17th Feb court house Richmond.

I have my interview on 25th Jan @ 8 AM.

Good Luck with your interview. Please let us know how it went.

Passed Interview!

We left for Norfolk with plenty of time accounting for possible traffic issues and encountered some minor issues at the tunnel but still got to the DO about an hour before the appointment. We were greeted by a security guard outside who ensured that we did not carry any cell phones or laptops with us. After passing through the metal detector, I was reminded to place my appointment letter in the N-400 bin. Sat down and waited. There were a lot of military people, several for adjustment of status and from what I gathered a few for citizenship. I was the only citizenship applicant with any sort of stack of documentation which surprised me but I figured better safe than sorry.
About 10 minutes before my appointment time I was called in by the officer who would interview me. He was very friendly, upbeat and spoke my native language so we chatted a bit while walking to his office. The he said we had to switch to English though for the formal part. After promising to tell the truth I handed him DL, PP, GC, Travel Doc and Yellow Letter. He immediately put DL, PP, YL, and Travel Doc to the side and said we wouldn’t need those. He verified my GC, name, address, and phone number and made me sign my pictures.
He had already pulled up my information on his computer screen and had marked up the application with lots of checks and circles. He then told me was changing the application category to the 5 year LPR instead of marriage based/3 years since I have been an LPR since 2000. I thought to myself “great – I did not think I was eligible…”
Then he gave me the civics test (how many US representatives are there, father of the country, in what month do we vote for president, how long does a US rep serve, name one war the US fought in the 1900s - I don’t recall the last one but got the first six right so we were done). He then did the reading and writing test (read: Who was the first president - write: George Washington was the first president).
Then we continued with the application review. We flew through all the yes/no questions without issues.
When we hit the travel/days outside the country section it got interesting. First he could not find my continuation sheet for the travel. After I insisted that I did send it in with the application he went through my file again and found it in the very back. He noticed my two trips of seven months and got very serious. “We have a big problem,” he stated. “You have broken your residence twice so you are not eligible to apply based on he 5 year rule. Your travel doc does not mean anything for trips under a year. I will need to change your application back to the 3 year/marriage rule and see if you have sufficient evidence with you. This is not good…this will be complicated. Now you have the burden of proof that your marriage is valid.” Not what you want to hear but we were back to how I applied originally since I was aware of the long trips and their potential implications and I came prepared. First he recalculated my days outside of the US for the past three years and changed my application accordingly.
He then wanted at least four separate pieces of evidence of my current marriage/residence. My messenger bag full of documents paid off after all. I gave him a bank statement, a car insurance bill, a phone bill, and a water bill all showing both my name and my wife’s name. He only wanted those for the current/last month. I had brought most things for the last 3 years, some going back 6 years.
He did not want tax returns/transcripts as a) 2008 was the last filing year and b) he said that does not prove a current valid marriage as people being separated may still file taxes together.
Fortunately, that sufficed. Then he asked me why I had registered for the draft although I did not have to. I replied that to the best of my knowledge I had not done that because I was over 26 when I received LPR status. But he insisted that my application stated that I had registered with selective service. He flipped to the appropriate page and corrected himself saying he must have confused me with somebody else. I am still wondering if that was an honest mistake or more.

Either way, my advice to all: Memorize your application and know the rules that apply to your application status. Preparation pays off!

After all that he said he would approve my application and get me scheduled for the next available oath ceremony in Norfolk (March 4). He filled out the oath notice and approval notice and I was on my way.

All in all, it was a very courteous, fast and efficient process. The total interview lasted less than 20 minutes. I expected the questions on the travel and was prepared so it was not really an issue in the end.
Now I just need to wait for the oath and my journey will be complete!!!

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences here and to all for answering my questions along the way. I would not have been as well prepared without this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

How long does the oath ceremony usually take? Im going to attend it this week but my schedule is so busy, it would be extremely helpful to know how long it will take. Thanks a lot!

Hi guys,

How long does the oath ceremony usually take? Im going to attend it this week but my schedule is so busy, it would be extremely helpful to know how long it will take. Thanks a lot!

The paperwork I got states to count on 4 hours total. A friend of mine who went through the oath ceremony in Norfolk a few months ago confirmed that it was an all morning affair (9:30-13:00) due to all the admin stuff and various speeches. I guess it'll also depend on how many candidates are participating but it does not sound like a quick affair.

The paperwork I got states to count on 4 hours total. A friend of mine who went through the oath ceremony in Norfolk a few months ago confirmed that it was an all morning affair (9:30-13:00) due to all the admin stuff and various speeches. I guess it'll also depend on how many candidates are participating but it does not sound like a quick affair.

Thanks, tobias2801. Yeah, I saw it says something about 4 hours, but I didnt think it will actually take 4 hours! why would it take so long? but i guess you are right that it depends on the number of people scheduled for that day.

Oath in Norfolk

Could anybody who has recently gone through the oath procedure in Norfolk/Granby Street Courthouse please share their experiences? What I am most interested in is advice on:
-when to arrive: the paperwork says to report at 9:30 - is that when the ceremony begins or when they start processing people into the building/room?
-is there a specific entrance or are things sign posted from the main entrance?
-what size room has been/is being used - can I bring visitors such as my spouse or extended family to observe?
-where to park? Is the parking garage under Scope/Chrysler Hall the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Nobody out there with recent Norfolk DO/oath experience?

Could anybody who has recently gone through the oath procedure in Norfolk/Granby Street Courthouse please share their experiences? What I am most interested in is advice on:
-when to arrive: the paperwork says to report at 9:30 - is that when the ceremony begins or when they start processing people into the building/room?
-is there a specific entrance or are things sign posted from the main entrance?
-what size room has been/is being used - can I bring visitors such as my spouse or extended family to observe?
-where to park? Is the parking garage under Scope/Chrysler Hall the best option?

Thanks in advance!

I received my IL letter last week and yesterday received YL. I have read many posts that YL comes first, in my case it came later. My interview is on 25th January @ 8 AM. I may have to leave Home by 5.30 AM.

YL is requesting to bring state identification.

rakeshr - I assume you passed your interview since your are asking about oath details in Richmond! Congratulations! I am almost there, too - oath is scheduled for March 4.

Tobias2801-

Thank you !
Yes my interview and oath both are complete. Myself and my wife both had same day oath but different time. It was a very good experience. Thanks to everyone !!

Good Luck for your oath !

Oath complete - Passport application tomorrow!

Completed my oath today - I am officially a USC!

For those who will be going through the ceremony in Norfolk/Granby Street, here are few details that should help in planning your day.
My appointment was for 9:30. I got there around 9:00 (parked under Scope - very close/short walk) and after passing through the security check point at the court house entrance I had to wait until about 9:20 in the main lobby until they opened up the large courtroom in which we would have our ceremony later on.
First they made all the applicants line up and USCIS reviewed the oath letter/questions and we got to validate the Naturalization Certificates. Another guy collected Green Cards and appointment letters and gave us our seat numbers (I think they were based on A number). I sat towards the front when we first walked in (which I would recommend) and was done by 9:45 with the check in. We were told to be back in the same room by 11:00 for the actual ceremony.
For the 11:00 AM event we had to sit by number (which was the order in which they had the Nat Certs). Got some instructions and explanations from USCIS officer and then had to wait until 11:30 for the actual ceremony. The judge did a really nice job explaining the significance of USC and our personal contribution to the US, etc. Went through the other steps (introduction of each candidate, oath, pledge of allegiance, one short speech) before the official part was over. We then lined up to get our certificates and I was done at about 12:10.
There were 76 new USCs from 43 countries - quite the assembly.
A few hints:
Sign the oath letter with city of "Norfolk" and read the instructions carefully. There were a ton of people who had to make corrections to their answers (was not a big deal, but slowed the line down)
I would recommend arriving 15 minutes early to be there in time and sit up front initially.
Bring a book to read for the long break between check in and ceremony.
You can bring visitors but with our group and everybody having one or two visitors, the place was packed. If you think about bringing more than one or two people, they may have to stand.
Don't bring children unless they are very good at entertaining themselves for 45 minutes at a time without getting up.
Bring a folder or envelope for your certificate so it does not get bent or rained on on the way back to your car.

It is over and I am done! All this after almost 14 years in the US, 10 of those with Green Card. It'll be nice never to worry about the Immigration Service again.

Thanks again to all in the forum for answering my questions along the way. It would have been a lot more stressful without your support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recent updates on the timelines of Norfolk office ? Would love to hear some recent experiences as I am looking to file soon. Do they do interview and oath same day these days?