Norfolk, VA timeline and N400 related Q

Any recent updates on the timelines of Norfolk office ? Would love to hear some recent experiences as I am looking to file soon. Do they do interview and oath same day these days?

My experience goes back to Nov 09 - March 10. You can read all my details in this thread. All in all it moved very fast - application to interview in 2 1/2 months. Then the long wait for the oath. As far as I know they do not do same day oaths for civilians. They seem to do one oath in Richmond and one in Norfolk plus an occasional one in Williamsburg about every 4-8 weeks. I think this depends on court schedules and holidays. Mine was at the federal court house in Norfolk almost 8 weeks after the interview (they do schedule you for the oath at the interview).
If you have any questions after looking at my posts, post back and I will answer.

Good luck in the process!

Thanks tobias2801 . Appreciate your inputs and I did read through your exp. 2 newbie questions.. What are these 2 items in bold from your signature

04/02/10: NatCert Rec'd back from DoS
04/03/10: PPC Rec'd

Also, did they not ask for your tax transcripts during the interview ?

NatCert = Naturalization certificate (the original has to be mailed in with your passport application)
PPC is passport card, the credit card sized ID card that can be used land travel to Canada

I had tax transcripts with me but the officer did not want to see them. As far as I know USCIS would know anyway if you owe back taxes from their various checks on you. If you don't owe any taxes and have filed taxes correctly since becoming an LPR and don't file based on the 3 year marriage rule you may not need to produce them. I would still take them to the interview though as they are listed on the standard interview check list. Depending on the officer they may still be
required.

dilbert30,

Where was your FP done? My local DO is Norfolk, VA but my fingerprinting has been scheduled in Alexandria.

ssampy: Please see my signature. I did my FP on 7/28. I am not sure about why you did not get the office you expected your FP to be..
dilbert30,

Where was your FP done? My local DO is Norfolk, VA but my fingerprinting has been scheduled in Alexandria.

Virginia (Chesapeake) N-400 Based on 5 Yr Residence

April 26 6:00PM - Sent the N-400 Documents UPS Next Day w/ Signature to Lewisville TX. Sent N-400, 2 Photos, Check $680, Copy of Permanent Resident Card back to back
April 27 9:00AM - Received and signed
April 29 - Check cashed

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this thread to the top for other Norfolk 2011 Filers

Second Update:

Received in the Mail today May 2, I-797C NOA Notice Date of April 28. From National Benefits Center in MO. ALso I would like to note, the Application Number or Receipt Number is nowhere on the Cashed check.

------- TIMELINE -------------

Virginia (Chesapeake) N-400 Based on 5 Yr Residence

April 26 6:00PM - Sent the N-400 Documents UPS Next Day w/ Signature to Lewisville TX. Sent N-400, 2 Photos, Check $680, Copy of Permanent Resident Card back to back
April 27 9:00AM - Received and signed
April 29 - Check Cashed/Posted in Bank. Deposited check April 28.
May 2, 2011 - Received I-797C NOA dated April 28 from National Benefits Center MO.

It is very in this thread but for those who might benefit from it here is my update:

May 3 - Email notification: FP Notice Sent on the same day

(I have posted this also on April 2011 N400 Tracker)

May 10 - FP done. Walk-in at a little past 9AM at USCIS Norfolk App Support Center. It was pretty much empty. There were just 3 people in front of me. 1 person getting her fingerprint done. And 1 family of 3, 2 of whom will have their prints done they also just came in before me.

The family were having problems with their prints I don't know why, the guard and tech said that if it gets rejected they would need to do it again and might go to a police station might do it there or something..

One worried me though the person who was taking my prints instead of writing down my name as is from the appointment letter he copied my name from my resident card which has the wrong middle initial. He said I can change it during the interview. Well I hope I could because I would be pretty upset even though it is just a middle initial.

By the time I was done, there were 3 who came in for prints. So my advise is if you are going to do walk in make sure it is early they open at 8am.

anyone scheduled to norfolk in june 2012 for interview please share your expirience

anyone scheduled to norfolk in june 2012 for interview please share your expirience