Norfolk, VA timeline and N400 related Q

mantra1234

Registered Users (C)

Entered US on H1B on 02/09/2000 for first time.
Application Receipt Date: 05/10/2005 for I-130, I-765, I-485
Application Notice Date: 05/12/2005
Finger Printing: 01/11/2006
Interim EAD: 01/11/2006
EAD: Received on 01/17/2006
AOS Interview: 02/27/2006

Married over 3.5 years

The USCIS office is 3.5 miles from our place of residence. The interview was at 9:30 AM. We also took our 2.5 year old son.We reaced the office at 9:00 AM. Our son was getting bored and fussy with the toys we carried with us. The security officer warned us to take him out of the office, if we are unable to control him. Eventually after 10:00 AM a nice lady officer called my name.

The officer asked us to take a oath. Questions asked by the officer in sequence:
(1)Son's birth certificate - Showed her the original and gave her a copy for the file. She said that she has two kids of almost same age group as our son.
(2)Our driver's licenses and military IDs
(3)Lease paper work for apartment. My wife was deployed overseas for 6 months when we moved here, so I could not add her immediately. Handed over a information letter from her ship showing the period during which she was deployed overseas.
(4)Verified information present on I-485
(5)Asked questions at the back of I-485
(6)2005 tax returns. - We mailed federal taxes on 02/25/2006. Gave her a copy. She said that if my wife's income is not sufficient then I have to fill up I-864A. My wife is in military, so half of her income is not taxable. I gave my wife's last 12 months LES(Leave and Earning statment). If they find that my wife's income is not sufficient then they will send us a letter in a couple of weeks.
(7)She took the I-94 from my passport and kept it with her.
(8)If I have been in US continously since 08/16/2000? - Yes
(9)If I have been on J1 before? Answered that I have been here on B1 before.
(10)How we met and how long we dated?- Met her online and most of our dating was via chatting, emails and phone calls.
(11)We took our album with us and she took a look but did not take any pictures.
(12)How I feel about my wife being in military? - Told her that its tough.
(13)If my H1B has expired. Told her that it expired on 02/09/2006. Asked if I'm still working with the same company. - Yes
(14)If any more green card application is going on. - My previous employer had filed for labor certification and it was stuck there. I don't have relationship with that employer any more as I changed employers over a year ago and don't know the status of the labor certification. I answered 'NO'
(15)If we have any questions for her.
(16)If we want to submit any more documents. - I gave her the set of utility bills with both of our names on it.

Finally we said good bye and left the office.

She said that my FBI name check is pending and they usually get updates every monday. I have been a silent observer. I have been following the posts in this forum for a while. This forum is really helpful. We did not hire any lawyer. Did everything all by ourselves.

Yes, we have filed I-864 and my wife worked for slightly over 2 month on 2004. 10/25/2004 onwards. We also showed our assets.

Oh okay I didn't understood the part why your wife's income wouldn't be enough...now I got it. Since you used 2004 when you filed right?, well this time would be better with 2005, and if she is in active duty it supposed that the 100% instead of the 125% over poverty level should apply to her.

hi
so for the I-864A are you sponsering yourself as a household member or sponsor?

Anyone done this before ... who do you fill out Household member part or sponsor part.

If the USCIS is not satisfied with my wife's income for 2005 then I'll be filing I-864A for myself. Yes, I'll be sponsoring myself and thats what the immigration officer suggested. Then again, they maybe happy with her 2005 income and I do not have the file I-864 A. If me and my wife work for one more year then as per Michael Cronin's memo, I can credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1381.html

Yes, my wife is in active duty and 100% above proverty level applies.

Hi! Thank U for this amazing forum! I've got a lot info. I have a few Q
1.My husband is a GC holder since MAy 17 2004, on March 17 2009 we sent N400 on April !8 he got FP. And still we got nothing....Is it normal?We filed at Norfolk, VA. If anybody has the same field office can they tell the timeframe? Thank U
2. He got a reckless driving ticket but the judge reduced it to a regular speeding. But on the court print it says he was convicted of RD at the beginning. So should he mention about that at interview? He didn't mention on N400 as the court date was 4/27/09(RD ticket date was 1/11/09) and we filled application on 3/16/09?
3. He had 2 trips that were a little bit less that 6 months(no trips+6 or more than 6 m). But he was a student in Ukraine until June 2008. can that make a problem?
4. I'm a J1 student(No 2 year rule), now I'm in pending B2 status(since March 17 2008!!!!!!!Is that ok) What should be do aout my app, wait until he becomes citizen and then file?
Thank You. I'm worrying so much about everything.:eek:

Hi! Thank U for this amazing forum! I've got a lot info. I have a few Q
1.My husband is a GC holder since MAy 17 2004, on March 17 2009 we sent N400 on April !8 he got FP. And still we got nothing....Is it normal?We filed at Norfolk, VA. If anybody has the same field office can they tell the timeframe? Thank U
2. He got a reckless driving ticket but the judge reduced it to a regular speeding. But on the court print it says he was convicted of RD at the beginning. So should he mention about that at interview? He didn't mention on N400 as the court date was 4/27/09(RD ticket date was 1/11/09) and we filled application on 3/16/09?
3. He had 2 trips that were a little bit less that 6 months(no trips+6 or more than 6 m). But he was a student in Ukraine until June 2008. can that make a problem?
4. I'm a J1 student(No 2 year rule), now I'm in pending B2 status(since March 17 2008!!!!!!!Is that ok) What should be do aout my app, wait until he becomes citizen and then file?
Thank You. I'm worrying so much about everything.:eek:

Hi Konxvetka:

I am trying to find some info on Norfolk DO timelines. When did you get the IL (and what was ID)? I guess your FP was 4/18/09 (correct me if I am wrong).

Is your citizenship process complete? Did you get to take the same day Oath? Sorry for so many questions but there is not much info for Norfolk on this forum. Would appreciate if you can get back to me.

Thanks.

I am posting my timeline...

DO - Norfolk VA
N-400 Application Sent to Lewisville, TX - 6/20/09
RD - 6/22/09
FP Date - 7/6/09
FP - 7/14/09 (Done as per schedule)
IL Letter - ??/??/09
IL Date - ??/??/09
Oath Date - ??/??/09

Richmond09:

Glad there is someone else in the same boat. Our timings are very close to each other. Make sure to keep this thread updated with your status or you can send me a PM with the information.

Any other filers from Norfolk DO? I will check for a couple more days if there is enough interest for Norfolk DO. Otherwise it may be best to just exchange information between ourselves via PM/email.

N400 timeline
DO Norfolk

Mailing date: 04/27/09
Receiving date: 05/05/09
Priority date: 05/05/09
Fingerprint Notice: 05/15/09
Fingerprint appointment: 06/03/09
Case file review notice: 07/11/09
Received interview later: 08/21/09
Interview appointment & oath: 09/14/09
US Passport applied: 09/23/09 (Regular)
Passport received: 10/13/09

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see some movement in Norfolk DO finally. Keep it up guys. It hardly takes a minute or two to post and all benefit. However it appears that Norfolk is moving very slowly compared to other DO's! Nearly 3.5 months from FP to Interview (compared to 2 months for most other DO's). Also, one of my friends had the same day oath about 8 or 9 months ago but another one (3 months ago) had a different day oath scheduled in a local Richmond, VA court.

All the more a reason to be on top of this and help each other out.

BTW, I received my yellow letter (case file review notice) today, 8/21/2009. Will Update my signature accordingly.

I think they stopped same day oath recently but not sure. Each case may be different. What was you YL about?

I got emails from USCIS and updated signature accordingly.

Waiting for IL...

I think they stopped same day oath recently but not sure. Each case may be different. What was you YL about?

I got emails from USCIS and updated signature accordingly.

Waiting for IL...

Hey RVARunner:

My status has been updated as well. I checked the online status after I read your post and the status states the case has been sent for a standard interview. That is a good sign and my estimate is we should receive the IL in about 2 weeks or so.

The YL was just for the drivers license.

Keep me posted.

My status has been updated as well.

DO - Norfolk VA
N-400 Application Sent to Lewisville, TX - 6/20/09
RD - 6/22/09
FP Date - 7/6/09
FP - 7/14/09 (Done as per schedule)
Online Status Update - 8/25/09 (Sent for Interview)
IL Letter - ??/??/09
IL Date - ??/??/09
Oath Date - ??/??/09

Now, isn't that somewhat of a coincidence :confused:! Between the 3 of us, our FP dates are 2 weeks apart (July 2nd, 11th and 14th) and our status was updated to "Sent to Interview" on the same day. Either USCIS/Norfolk is suddenly moving very fast/efficiently :) or there is some sort of a glitch in the online message system :(.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully we get our IL soon. Let's be on the top of each others status guys.

Since 8/25, when I check everyday the online status date is getting updated to that day. Even now, it shows 8/28/2009:confused:

Hoping to see IL soon:)