Norfolk, VA timeline and N400 related Q

Olga123:

That "RFE message" means that they have issued you a fingerprint notice to go for fingerprinting. There are numerous posts on this over the past month or so.

A lot of people freak out on seeing this but the opinion is unanimous since they all get the letter for FP within a week or so after this message appears online. So you are in good shape.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I freaked out when I saw that email as I couldnt imaging what else they might need from me. Then, I found a lot of similar posts where people were quite confused about the wording of that message and they were all saying that was just a FP notice. I still havent received anything, but think it should come pretty soon.

Thanks, and congratulations again. Even it was a smooth process for you, Im sure you are happy its over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations and that was a very nice explanation!

Hooraaaay!! Officially I am a US citizen now! :D . There was very little info for Norfolk DO on this forum. However people on this board have been extremely helpful and I thought I should do my bit by at least posting a detailed review about my interview and oath experience at Norfolk, VA. A special thanks to Bob, WBH, Al, Jacko, abs, sanjo, RVAR, Which, TRC etc. and lots of others for answering mine and everyone's questions with patience.

My interview (along with my wife) was at 9.40 am and we arrived there at 8.35 am. We live in Richmond and started around 6.45. The 100+ mile drive to Norfolk took us less than 2 hours (there was only a minor slowdown before the tunnel for 10 minutes or so but nothing major en-route contrary to what some people had portrayed it to be (maybe because of the ailing economy). Took a detour for a coffee :cool: at Starbucks (1.5 miles) and entered the USCIS building by 9.20. For some this information may be important but cell phones were allowed inside the building and a few other candidates also had their little ones accompanying them (the "perks" of being associated with a smaller 'DO' I suppose although we had arranged the logistics for our child). However I do recommend that you keep your cell phones and/or children on vibrate :D and if you cannot do that then its best to leave them in the car and/or at baby sitter's (as appropriate) but wanted to let you know that at least the DO does have the flexibility. A couple of little ones were all too excited about the prospects of their parents becoming citizens (or perked up at giving up citizenship of their native countries) :confused: and periodically let there enthusiasm/depression show thereby often embarrassing :eek: the poor parents by their vocal rants.

I was called within 5 to 10 minutes of settling in. The IO was quite friendly and professional (I noticed a couple of other IO's as well and they too seemed quite jovial and friendly; another perk I suppose of a small DO). Was made to swear and IO immediately started with English and civics test (routine if you have read the book). IO writes down every answer that you give; so only worry about remembering and answering one part if the question requires one in the preparation material. Will not go into the specifics of the tests since there is enough information on this forum. After the tests the IO went line by line asking all the questions on the N-400 form. When the question about citation/arrest was asked I mentioned about a couple of general speeding tickets and offered to provide documentation that I had paid them off (I had taken my 11 year driving history record from DMV and also a printout from the web (or by calling the county court in one case) that gave details about the cases and that those were cleared off. The IO scrutinized these quite closely and then added to my N-400 and changed my responses to these from "No" to "Yes" and politely asked if the paperwork could be kept in my file. He/She moved on and subsequently asked me to sign at a couple of places and also on the photographs (the sharpie pen was available although I had carried one with me as well). I was told that I was approved :) and IO gave me the N-652 form and asked me if there was any chance I could attend the oath at 2.00 pm that afternoon. I smiled and said that "I would be delighted to", to which the IO smiled and replied stating "that would be nice won't it". He gave me the oath letter and we chatted a little bit and cracked a couple more jokes about needing only the green card and the oath letter for the oath and that I would be glad to give up on my green card since I would get something "better" :D. I asked if the IO had a lot more interviews scheduled for the day and the IO replied "X more to go today" and that he/she was also substituting for a colleague who had not come in. So he/she would soon be interviewing my wife after me. Chatted a bit more on the way out and at the door I shook hands and thanked (Thank You officer 'the name'). My suggestion though for everyone would be not to get too friendly and only proceed depending upon the IO and the situation and your level of comfort. Its best to be neutral and professional to start with.

Ditto experience for my wife and IO told her that she need not have mentioned her speeding ticket during the interview since the charge was "Dismissed" after taking "Traffic School". Nevertheless since she had produced it the IO kept the documentation and also added to the N-400.

Oath was at 2.00 and we went in at 1.35. I don't think one needs too much guidance on the oath process since he/she is already approved and it is a routine. You are allowed to take guests and remember to take your camera. There were in all 28 candidates who took oath; some from that day and some probably from previous days. You could see smiles and relief on everyone's face as well as on the face of the judge, employees etc. The reception itself is converted to the oath ceremony room.

There is no thumb rule for same day oaths in Norfolk but I suppose the criteria could be to have sufficient number of candidates on the day. And it appears that they try to schedule most interviews accordingly. So don't try to mess up and change your dates around. There was this guys who had scheduled an infopass and was loudly and desperately trying to change some date. The desk IO politely told him that they could NOT do it on Tuesday for which he kept insisting and almost seemed to be fighting :mad: to get it on a Tuesday as he had to "work" the other days :eek:. The desk IO finally agreed to schedule him on some Tuesday and gave him a choice of 3 times; 8.30 am, 12.55 and 2.00 and he picked 12.55. You can be assured that he will not get the same day oath (that is provided his is a citizenship case of course).

Overall a very smooth process at least if your case is a straight forward one. The lack of information for a smaller DO on this forum was more than adequately compensated by the friendly staff, behavior, efficiency and other positives at this DO. All the very best to the rest of you who are still waiting and you should not be concerned if your case is a routine one. :)

I am USC as well !!! I had my interview and oath yesterday in Norfolk. Interview was at 10:00 a.m and Oath was at 2:00 p.m.

DO - Norfolk VA
N-400 Application Sent to Lewisville, TX - 6/20/09
RD - 6/22/09
FP Date - 7/6/09
FP - 7/14/09 (Done as per schedule)
Online Status Update - 8/25/09 (Sent for Interview)
IL Letter - 08/31/09
IL Date - 09/24/09
Oath Date - 09/24/09

For example, what if my husband is already a USC. Does he need to have the interview as well in order to support my case

Only you will be interviewed. It is possible the IO may ask your husband a few questions before or after your interview. That appears to quite rare unless the IO suspects the Marriage may have been just for Citizenship.

If you have proof like joint filing of taxes, Insurance policies, joint Title on the house, vehicles etc, the IO would probably be happy with that and not need to ask anything of your husband.

I am USC as well !!! I had my interview and oath yesterday in Norfolk. Interview was at 10:00 a.m and Oath was at 2:00 p.m.

DO - Norfolk VA
RD - 6/22/09
FP Date - 7/6/09
IL Letter - 08/31/09
IL Date - 09/24/09
Oath Date - 09/24/09

Congratulations Richmond09. That is great! So we have a 100% score from Richmond so far. And Norfolk had 2 consecutive days of same day oath! That's good news for those still waiting.

Just curious how many citizens took oath yesterday (24th) ? We had 28 taking oath on 23rd.

Congratulations once again.

Thanks CpZ & Brian!

Olga: Yes! Both myself and my wife had applied for citizenship. Hence the 2 separate interviews.

Only you will be interviewed. It is possible the IO may ask your husband a few questions before or after your interview. That appears to quite rare unless the IO suspects the Marriage may have been just for Citizenship.

If you have proof like joint filing of taxes, Insurance policies, joint Title on the house, vehicles etc, the IO would probably be happy with that and not need to ask anything of your husband.

Yeah, I sent all those documents with my application. So, I dont think they will need to interview my husband. I was just curious.

There were 25 people who took oath on the day I took oath.

DO - Norfolk VA
RD - 6/22/09
FP Date - 7/6/09
IL Letter - 08/31/09
IL Date - 09/24/09
Oath Date - 09/24/09

Congrats to all of you that finished your journey!.. and once again thank you for posting your experiences it was very helpful and hopeful on the same day ceremony.. as you didn't have to wait another month or two.

As for OLGA123.. I wouldnt worry to much about the email. I'm signed up for email alerts and also recieved one on the 22nd. I'm also a member on another forum and there were a few people on there that also received one on the 22nd. Seems like a generic notice indictating they sent out your fingerprint notice. I havent recevied my FP notice as of yet but i'm guessing I should receive something in the next couple of days.

Hey everyone,

I recieved my Biometric notice it's on 10/07/09.

Please guys let' keep the forum going....and keep eachother updated on our status.

linaj,

yeah, I got my Biometric notice as well. Its going to be on October 8th. I updated my timeline...

Oh that's Great news Olga123!.. seems like it's only us two for now... hopefully more people designated to the Norfolk DO will find this thread.

Richmond, VA Thread.....

All, I finally received some online update to my status, pelase post your time lines if you are in Richmond, VA area,.

I suppose, our DO is Norfolk, VA.

PD: Aug 11th
FP: Sept 24th
YL: Oct 07 - Asking for Drivers License
Online status changed to "Sent for Standard Interview....." on Oct 13th.

Anyone else waiting for IL and Interview?

If you are from Richmond, VA, Norfolk DO, please post your timelines.

My interview experience for last week. sorry couldn't post before. all interview was 3 min. No proof, no papers were asked( I carried a lot of them) It's better to be overpreapared. Only Gc and DL. Had speeding ticket(originally RD that was reduced), no issues, no questions about that, didn't mention on N400, had certified copy of payment and court. Had to do name change so not the same day oath. Interview was on Oct 8, Oath _Nov 5.
Questions to read : Who lives in the White House"
Write: "The President lives in the WH"
1. Who is the speaker....?
2.When was the Declaration adopted?
3. How long President is elected for?
4. About rivers?
5. about Native Americans?
6.Bill of rights.
was very quick and smooth. Good luck to everybody

Calling anyone from DO - Norfolk VA

Anyone there?

I have an interview scheduled for Nov 18th, just checking if someone there?

interview nov 18th

Hi Bulls n bears, I also have an interview scheduled on Nov 18th. I went for FP on 29th last month, got the letter a few days ago. Now preparing for interview. I live in Richmond