Norfolk, VA timeline and N400 related Q

user55,

I have also added you as friend here and as a contact, so you can message me when you are online, I am very happy to find someone from Richmond having the interview the same day.

Hey Bullsnbear,

I don't know if you read any of the previous post but I'm also from the Norfolk DO.

I took my FP about 2 weeks and I'm still waiting on my IL.

(OLGA123) --> I'm really happy to see you already recieved the interview letter (email)... but you posted that message back on the 17th.. soo I'am pretty sure by now you have already recieved it.

I know are timelines are pretty close you took your FP's a day before I did... unfortunately I'm still waiting for at least the interview email... hopefully I get some good news soon. Good Luck and keep me updated! :)

(OLGA123) --> I'm really happy to see you already recieved the interview letter (email)... but you posted that message back on the 17th.. soo I'am pretty sure by now you have already recieved it.

I know are timelines are pretty close you took your FP's a day before I did... unfortunately I'm still waiting for at least the interview email... hopefully I get some good news soon. Good Luck and keep me updated! :)

I got that email only because I subscribed for any updates on my case on USCIS web site. If you havent done so, I dont think you will receive any emails from them. You can also check you status online, but it doesnt give you any details, just one standard message like "sent for interview"
I got my letter yesterday. My interview is going to be on November 24th. Im pretty sure you should receive yours shortly. Let me know when you receive your letter. We might even have interview on the same day since our timelines are almost the same.

Goodluck!

Hey Olga123,

I also signed up for the email alerts from the very beginning. I recieved the
1st email for Biometrics but this time around I never recieved the email stating that my case had been transferred for a interview. I had been checking the online case updates everyday and finally on the 23rd that's when it said "case transferred to field office"... ; however, I haven't recieved the actual interview letter as of it... I should be recieving it anyday now.

Congrats on getting your letter!!.. it's great to know the date and not have to keep running to the mailbox everyday wondering if it's there... hahaha :eek:.

Well, I will definitely keep you updated if I recieve it within the next few days... and yes ur right.. you never know.. we might acutally get the same date... that would be crazy

Interviews same day?

If everything goes fine during the interview, is it safe to assume there is high probability that oath happens same day in Norfolk?

If everything goes fine during the interview, is it safe to assume there is high probability that oath happens same day in Norfolk?

Yes! There is a very good chance for the same day oath. See my experience from over a month ago in this thread. In fact interviews are scheduled in such a manner that there are enough people on a given day to take oath. Hence the high chance of a number of you getting interview on the same day. Just don't move or postpone the Interview date.

Hey RichmondVA.

I am a little nervous kinds I think, I always think what if what if what if.....

How is the office? Interview surroundings? Lots of people nervous? Are the interviews in room? Or cubicles?

I hope I do well in the interview and dont mess up my chances..

Hey Olga123,

I had been checking the online case updates everyday and finally on the 23rd that's when it said "case transferred to field office"... ; however, I haven't recieved the actual interview letter as of it... I should be recieving it anyday now.

Hi linaj,

Have you received a letter with the interview date yet? I hope you have. Well, if you received online update on 23rd, I think you should have gotten your letter by now. Let me know, Im curious if we have the same date.

Hey Olga123,

Thanks for checking up on me.... I've been soooo busy lately!!:eek:
yes I acutally recieved my interview notice last week... my interview is on 12/08/2009. Unforunately we won't see eachother due to the different dates... but I'm very happy with my Interview date, because it gives me enough time to study and get all my paperwork in order.

Well yours is fairly close... I hope u've been studying and have everything ready... I'm soo excited for you!!! :D

Well keep me updated on how the interview goes and if you got the same day oath that everybody keeps talking about.

New Norfolk case

Sent in my N-400 11/3/2009. I just saw a status update online that my case is pending a request for further evidence. From what I saw online this may mean my FP letter is in the mail.

To those that have gone through the process at the Norfolk DO recently: what are the latest news on a same day oath? Is that something I mention/request during the interview? Also, if there is no same day oath, when/how/where will the oath take place?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My N-400 Progress so far:
Nov 3, 2009: Mailed Application
Nov 5, 2009: Received at Processing Center Lewisville, TX
Nov 8, 2009: Application Fee Check deposited, cleared Nov 10, 2009
Nov 10, 2009: Mailed Application Receipt Notice PD 11/9, received Nov 12, 2009

Passed Interview Today

Hi everybody, thanks for those who helped me here, I passed my interview at Norfolk DO today. For benefit of others who are waiting, this is what happened:

First, as soon as you get the interview letter, prepare all the documents. I waited until last minute and then realized I did not have enough time to get tax transcripts etc. So I had to get them faxed to me. Fortunately I was proactive to get my driving records, so that worked fine.

I got all documents together day before yesterday itself. Made copies and so on. Today I started at 8:15 from Richmond for 10:40 interview. I gave more time in case I get a flat or something. While driving I basically listened to the questions CD 3 times. Whatever I knew I would skip immediately, whatever I couldnt, I would try to remember. On 3rd try I got almost all answers correct.

My GPS left me 2 buildings away from the actual building. Interview building is different from FP building too. In any case I found the building in a couple of minutes. I reached DO at 10 am. Security guard asked for letter and my ID. I made a joke about my picture to the guard. Then he made a joke back when he asked me if I had any weapons, I said no, he said are you sure? Also he did not let me take my cell phone inside (contrary to somebody else's experience here), so I went back and left it in the car.

Note: You are supposed to put your interview letter in N400 bin. I did not know that and took me 15 mins to realize something is wrong.

Wait was kind of painful as everybody who came before me and after me was being attended to. Also my cell phone is my watch and without it I had no idea of time. One guy was rejected as he failed in reading/writing English test. I was happy that officer did not call me next.

I was called in at 11. We walked through office maze to her office. Her office had all her family pictures and office junk. So I decided to try to be friendly. I asked her how was she doing, she said ok and naturally asked how are you. I said nervous. She was surprised "nervous?" I said yes. This kind of lowered her guard. (Note: Try at your own risk, you need to judge the situation)

She asked me to keep standing and first took the oath. Asked for my ID, GC and passports. She asked me to read "how many senators do we have?" and then asked me to write "we have 100 senators". She asked me 6 questions for civic test, thanks to the CD, I answered all correctly. I remember following questions:

What is the name of US national anthem
what is rule of the law
what ocean is on west cost of US
how old do you have to be to vote

She went through the whole application, no surprises here. I am fairly law abiding person. She asked "a speeding ticket?" I said yes, she said "was it wreckless driving", I said "no just speeding ticket". She checked stamps in my passport to make sure my recording of leaving the country matches with what I filled in application. She asked me almost everything I wrote in application but did not ask me even single extra paper. I corrected one "job" to "contract". She asked me if I belong to any groups, I said yes "singles group", she wasn't sure if she would write on application, when I said it doesn't matter, she didn't write. I think I may be first case of telling officer what to do :)

I laughed out loud when she asked me "have you ever been a prostitute?", I said Noooooooooooo. Also I made a face when she asked me if I was a terrorist. She smirked at my face. I asked her later on if people do reply yes, she said she never had anybody say that. I also did not know she was going to ask me "are you willing to use arms if needed to protect US" or something like that, I wasn't sure if "yes" was required or was a voluntary "opt in" program. I decided not to take risk and said yes. I still do not know if "no" would have made her reject application immediately.

Finally she said she is going to recommend my case for approval. I can take oath on the next ceremony date on 16th Dec in Richmond. I was like darn it. I asked "is there no oath ceremony today" she said no.

That was it, I collected all papers, she walked me out. Wished each other good day and I drove back.

I do not have citizenship yet but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck to you! Soon you will have your own story to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my FP letter today with a 12/1 appt date. Looks like my case is progressing like all the other recent posts! It took the letter a whole week to get to me after it was mailed which made me a little nervous but am glad to finally have it!

Sent in my N-400 11/3/2009. I just saw a status update online that my case is pending a request for further evidence. From what I saw online this may mean my FP letter is in the mail.

To those that have gone through the process at the Norfolk DO recently: what are the latest news on a same day oath? Is that something I mention/request during the interview? Also, if there is no same day oath, when/how/where will the oath take place?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My N-400 Progress so far:
Nov 3, 2009: Mailed Application
Nov 5, 2009: Received at Processing Center Lewisville, TX
Nov 8, 2009: Application Fee Check deposited, cleared Nov 10, 2009
Nov 10, 2009: Mailed Application Receipt Notice PD 11/9, received Nov 12, 2009

Hi everybody, thanks for those who helped me here, I passed my interview at Norfolk DO today. For benefit of others who are waiting, this is what happened:

First, as soon as you get the interview letter, prepare all the documents. I waited until last minute and then realized I did not have enough time to get tax transcripts etc. So I had to get them faxed to me. Fortunately I was proactive to get my driving records, so that worked fine.

I got all documents together day before yesterday itself. Made copies and so on. Today I started at 8:15 from Richmond for 10:40 interview. I gave more time in case I get a flat or something. While driving I basically listened to the questions CD 3 times. Whatever I knew I would skip immediately, whatever I couldnt, I would try to remember. On 3rd try I got almost all answers correct.

My GPS left me 2 buildings away from the actual building. Interview building is different from FP building too. In any case I found the building in a couple of minutes. I reached DO at 10 am. Security guard asked for letter and my ID. I made a joke about my picture to the guard. Then he made a joke back when he asked me if I had any weapons, I said no, he said are you sure? Also he did not let me take my cell phone inside (contrary to somebody else's experience here), so I went back and left it in the car.

Note: You are supposed to put your interview letter in N400 bin. I did not know that and took me 15 mins to realize something is wrong.

Wait was kind of painful as everybody who came before me and after me was being attended to. Also my cell phone is my watch and without it I had no idea of time. One guy was rejected as he failed in reading/writing English test. I was happy that officer did not call me next.

I was called in at 11. We walked through office maze to her office. Her office had all her family pictures and office junk. So I decided to try to be friendly. I asked her how was she doing, she said ok and naturally asked how are you. I said nervous. She was surprised "nervous?" I said yes. This kind of lowered her guard. (Note: Try at your own risk, you need to judge the situation)

She asked me to keep standing and first took the oath. Asked for my ID, GC and passports. She asked me to read "how many senators do we have?" and then asked me to write "we have 100 senators". She asked me 6 questions for civic test, thanks to the CD, I answered all correctly. I remember following questions:

What is the name of US national anthem
what is rule of the law
what ocean is on west cost of US
how old do you have to be to vote

She went through the whole application, no surprises here. I am fairly law abiding person. She asked "a speeding ticket?" I said yes, she said "was it wreckless driving", I said "no just speeding ticket". She checked stamps in my passport to make sure my recording of leaving the country matches with what I filled in application. She asked me almost everything I wrote in application but did not ask me even single extra paper. I corrected one "job" to "contract". She asked me if I belong to any groups, I said yes "singles group", she wasn't sure if she would write on application, when I said it doesn't matter, she didn't write. I think I may be first case of telling officer what to do :)

I laughed out loud when she asked me "have you ever been a prostitute?", I said Noooooooooooo. Also I made a face when she asked me if I was a terrorist. She smirked at my face. I asked her later on if people do reply yes, she said she never had anybody say that. I also did not know she was going to ask me "are you willing to use arms if needed to protect US" or something like that, I wasn't sure if "yes" was required or was a voluntary "opt in" program. I decided not to take risk and said yes. I still do not know if "no" would have made her reject application immediately.

Finally she said she is going to recommend my case for approval. I can take oath on the next ceremony date on 16th Dec in Richmond. I was like darn it. I asked "is there no oath ceremony today" she said no.

That was it, I collected all papers, she walked me out. Wished each other good day and I drove back.

I do not have citizenship yet but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck to you! Soon you will have your own story to tell.

What do they do for wreckless driving?

Hi guys!

Thanks everyone for all those incredibly helpful posts about the interview process! Im going to share my experience, so hopefully it will help those of you who are still waiting for an interview.

I had an interview at 10 am. I got there way early (around 9) because I live far, it was raining today, and i was afraid to be delayed because of the traffic. I thought they might tell me to wait in the car but they didnt even say anything, just made sure i wasnt carrying any weapons :) said that cell phones are not permitted, and told me to put my letter in N-400 bin (make sure you do it, otherwise they wont call you!).

While i was waiting there, some guy started a conversation with me. He said he was 50 mins late. But even he came later than me, he was called first because of his time i suppose. So, if you are late, dont get stressed out, they will still allow you to go through the interview, but, of course, its better be on time.

I was called at 10:05. The interviewer(i will refer to the interviewer as "he/him" from now on) was nice and friendly, asked how i was doing and basic small talk. In his office, he asked me to take the oath and then verified my address and asked if i want to change my name or not. Then, if i remember correctly, he started with the reading and writing parts. I had to read something about Abraham Lincoln and had to write "Lincoln was President during the Civil War".
Then he began with questions. I dont remember all questions, but here is the answers that i remember:
-July 4th, 1776
-Nancy Pelosi
-Native Americans
-Mississippi
All questions were from the book, so if you study them you will definitely pass.
He then congratulated me and said that I passed all my tests, and started to go through the application. He looked at how many days I was out of country, and looked at my passport to make sure they matched. I had to change my passport last year because it expired, and thought it might be a problem. I even printed all my pay checks for 2 years to show i was in the country and also brought a copy of my old passport just to prove I had to change it. It wasnt a problem after all. He then went over all "yes" and "no" questions, and finally said he will recommend my case for approval.
He offered to take the oath ceremony on Dec 14th. in Norfolk. I was happy to accept it, but asked if they have the same day ceremony or not. He said that now they only do the same day ceremonies for military applicants, so any regular person would have to wait.

I still dont have citizenship, but its getting closer :) And Im very happy the interview was easy, fast, and successful :)

I didnt have any records, so cannot tell you what they do with wreckless driving.

I wish everyone goodluck!

Norfolk ASC experience

Just completed my fingerprinting per original appointment. I am surprised to say that it was a very positive experience.
The ASC is very is easy to find and is very clean and spacious. I think this stuck out to me as my FP experiences for immigaration matters go back over 10 years (for my green card) when you had to send in a paper and ink card with your fingerprints. I also dealt with the Charlotte, NC office for my work permit, emergency travel papers, and initially for the I-485 processing since I lived in NC many moons ago and that place was horrible back then - dirty, crowded, broken chairs, clogged toilets, ...
Things have really changed since then if the Norfolk office is any indication.
I got to the ASC Norfolk about an hour before my appointment since I did not encounter any of the expected traffic. I walked in to see if I could wait inside but since I was the only customer they processed me in and did the fingerprints right away. All in all it took 6 minutes from walking in to walking out.
I could not have asked for a more professional and efficient experience all the way around.

Quick update for others in the Norfolk district: Had an e-mail this morning that my case has been sent for a standard interview. This is only 8 days after fingerprinting. Overall, I am on day 37 at this point.

Tobias2801- Thanks for posting your information !
I am from Richmond, VA. I completed my FP on 30th November and did not get any update yet. My wife had the same day (30th November) FP and her case was updated on Tuesday (12/08) Testing and Interview.
I will update my information after I receive my ID date.
Please post if you have any updates.

Good Luck !

Tobias2801-

Did you receive IL ?

My wife received IL but I did not receive it. I called up USCIS and I was told that I need to wait for 60 days for them to put any note on my case.

Not sure what is happening.

Tobias2801-

Did you receive IL ?

My wife received IL but I did not receive it. I called up USCIS and I was told that I need to wait for 60 days for them to put any note on my case.

I think you should not worry at all. It is not even 2 weeks since your FP. FBI name checks (required as a part of citizenship processing) can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months. I am from Richmond too and mine (and my wife's) took over 6 weeks. Your wife is lucky that hers was completed in less than 2 weeks (probably no issues with her name/maybe somewhat unique). That is very rare as for most people it typically takes anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks. If I were you I would not be concerned unless it gets into Feb (receiving by mid/end Jan would be very normal).

Tobias2801-

Did you receive IL ?

Still waiting for the IL - looking at my case status update e-mail date and others' timelines, I would expect to have the letter in the mail by the end of this week.
There seems to be a big range in how fast the IL follows FP. As others have stated a lot seems to depend on how fast the FBI can provide the required information. When I called the FBI to check on FP status, I was told that the overall process for them to do their work may take 8-10 weeks.