No response after sending application?

Defiance1

Registered Users (C)
Hello. I sent my application for the US Naturalization exactly a month ago and to this date I haven't received any type of confirmation letter from them as I've read they send. Along with the application I requested and completed a fee waiver application so I was wondering if that's one of the reason why it is taking for them to answer.

I'm getting really worried since I was planning to leave the country for a couple months by the end of the year, but I wanted to become a citizen first.

How long does it normally take to get a confirmation letter or some type of acknowledgement from the people who process these applications? Should I be worried that they didn't accept my fee waiver and that's why they haven't replied?

I'd appreciate if someone answered my questions. I live in Seattle, WA by the way.

Many thanks.

To OP:

Send a written inquiry to the Service Center where you had filed your petition. Include your name, DOB , date you mailed your petition and ask them to let you know if the petition was received.

You should have mailed your petition with tracking or DC option ( USPS DC service costs under $1.00 extra).

Good luck.

You requested a fee waiver yet can afford to take a foreign trip for a couple of months! An airplane ticket likely costs much more than an N-400. That seems very inconsistent.

And what does that have to do with what I asked? The "trip" is not a vacation, but an emergency. If you are not going to contribute why don't you keep your words to yourself, friend?

And what does that have to do with what I asked? The "trip" is not a vacation, but an emergency. If you are not going to contribute why don't you keep your words to yourself, friend?

I wanted to point out just how ridiculous your situation comes across. Do you really not see it?

Original post: "I'm getting really worried since I was planning to leave the country for a couple months by the end of the year, but I wanted to become a citizen first."

Also, exactly how does one "plan" an "emergency" "at the end of the year" for a "couple months"????

I think Joe had a very valid point but he has information (about the trip) which the CIS may not have, so let's please close it at that. However, do note that although the number of people who get hassled by IOs is small, when you get hassled, it is for such small inconsistencies. Very soon the 2 month trip will become 4 months, and the IO will wonder whether you live in US or not. All you need to take from a conversation is the help / ideas it can give you and move on. No one knows your real name, so no need to get defensive as we are judging you.

I think comment #3 has given you some clues. You can also try making an infopass appointment with CIS and see what they tell you. I find it best to speak to someone in person ... they have the same information ... but once in a while someone will take pity and spend an extra 10 minutes researching your situation ... it happened to me and I am sure it happens to others.

I don't think that BigJoe5 is being ridiculous at all. In fact, when I read the first post of this thread, the same exact thought came to my mind.

I think you are jumping to conclusions too soon. What do we know of OP?

To apply for the waiver of fee one must demonstrate the income below certain threshold.
Here is an excerpt from one of the steps on USCIS page , under Few Waiver Guidance header:
Is your household income at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing? This step instructs an applicant about what is acceptable evidence in determining household income. It also specifies what family members should be included when determining household size. If you have provided sufficient evidence that your household income is at or below the 150 % threshold, your fee waiver will normally be approved. See more here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-912instr.pdf

Having applied for FW doesn't necessarily imply that OP has ZERO income.

What if OP lives in Georgia, in 1 BR detached house valued at $10,000 with $60 per month mortgage, at $15,000 of yearly gross income, and ends up with some disposable income after paying expenses, thus able to save and travel when he wishes?

He may still be eligible for FW due to low income. That's just one example. There could be infinite other possibilities. For all you know even Warren Buffets' estranged grand-daughter , who worked as a house maid for a living, could possibly qualify for FW if she was to apply for one.

Mob mentality is not good. You have no facts and you don't know particulars of OP circumstances. Let the USCIS do its' job and determine if OP qualifies for the benefit applied, and you do what you are asked to do: answer the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
You requested a fee waiver yet can afford to take a foreign trip for a couple of months! An airplane ticket likely costs much more than an N-400. That seems very inconsistent.

Emergency travel is inconsistent with a fee waiver request?

Hello. I sent my application for the US Naturalization exactly a month ago and to this date I haven't received any type of confirmation letter from them as I've read they send. Along with the application I requested and completed a fee waiver application so I was wondering if that's one of the reason why it is taking for them to answer.

I'm getting really worried since I was planning to leave the country for a couple months by the end of the year, but I wanted to become a citizen first.

How long does it normally take to get a confirmation letter or some type of acknowledgement from the people who process these applications? Should I be worried that they didn't accept my fee waiver and that's why they haven't replied?

I'd appreciate if someone answered my questions. I live in Seattle, WA by the way.

Many thanks.

A fee waiver request can take a little more time since they have to verify your income level. You can still leave the country while your application is pending as long as its not for too long.

Emergency travel is inconsistent with a fee waiver request?

That's not what BigJoe wrote. He wrote that the airplane ticket probably costs more than N-400 fee. What BigJoe doesn't realize is that one qualified for FW isn't necessarily starving or deprived of disposable income (as I explained in an earlier post), and could well use it to purchase an airline ticket or to travel while still legitimately qualified for FW under Federal Poverty guidelines.

Joe also clarified that a trip 4 months down the line is probably not emergency.
How did Joe's post get deleted ... must stop referring to post #s if they are going to change.

It was deduced from what he and OP wrote.

Here is what BigJoe wrote:

How do you deduce from above the following:

Emergency travel is inconsistent with a fee waiver request

??

Here is what BigJoe wrote:

How do you deduce from above the following:

Emergency travel is inconsistent with a fee waiver request

??
Read it again. It was deduced from what BigJoe and OP said.
Bigjoe said the cost a plane ticket was inconsistent with requesting a fee waiver. The OP said the travel is for emergency purposes. Hence, is emergency travel inconsistent with a fee request?