Niagara POE

Giova

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I am on my second TN and just got a great offer from another company. I need to start NOW and was thinking of driving to Niagara POE.
Any experience on that side of the border for processing TN's? I've always done it at the Toronto airport.
Thanks!

I have no idea! Any recommendations? I have usually crossed by the falls but if you know of a better one, please let me know!

I got my original TN at the rainbow bridge (by far the busiest) and it was painless, went there again and was interrogated for 50 minutes and was ready to grab the customs agent by her 2nd chin and start pushing her around.

I had mine renewed again at another bridge (not sure if it was fort erie or queenston/lewiston) with no hassles, smaller waiting room and not as busy.

The rainbow bridge handles alot of TN visas and in a package i bought a while ago said they have approx: 98% approval rate with the queenstion not far behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
i edited my post above, where it said queenston/lewiston bridge, i am not sure if it was the queenston/lewiston or the fort erie bridge

Hi Giova,
I have had 3 TNs and and once I went to the Rainbow bridge border. They refused to give it to me with silly reasons. If you search online forums you'll get a lot of reviews saying they are the most busiest and they over scrutinize coz there are people going back and forth without a passport sometimes. So beware!

Ok, so will not believe this! Trip cancelled, I have a new issue now.
Even though I have a signed contract from the company and the letter of employment for immigration and having already resigned to my previous job, the company that hired me called back to say that they just found out that because the Hotel is actually owned by Lockheed Martin and it's government they will not allow a non US citizen work there!!!
I have already resigned to my other job and they are debating wether to take me back or not. As you can imagine I am SOOO DISSAPOINTED.
Now, I have the following questions:

- Can I stay on my TN until I find another job? (probably not, right?)
- If I marry my boyfriend, who is not a US citizen yet, but a permanent resident, will that help at all to get a work permit?

Thank you ALL so much for your help, this website is a great resource.

Gia

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!!!

If you had told me the job was directly for Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman I would have forewarned that Citizenship would have been an issue. we have a lot of Defense contractors here in Southern California, and whenever we enter the facility we have to sign in and state our country of citizenship. What are the chances that Lockheed Martin actually owns a hotel!!

I would have never seen that one coming. Unless it's the new Lockheed Martin Center in Maryland, then that would all make sense.But what about all of the other employees?
It 's a well known fact that many of the support staff in a hotel are not here legally. Unless they will just use false papers. But you would think they would still have to go through a security check?

- Can I stay on my TN until I find another job? (probably not, right?)
- If I marry my boyfriend, who is not a US citizen yet, but a permanent resident, will that help at all to get a work permit?
Without getting into the bizzarre reasons why you are now out of TN status...

No. You need to file I-539 to get a B2 to stay temporairily in US. Trouble is, you don't have TN anymore, so a change to B2 is not technically allowed.

Note to others, there is no need to quit one TN job before getting the next one (including getting the TN). Have seen many instances when a 'sure thing; went south for bizarre reasons.

Marriage to an LPR will not help you, neither to stay in US neither to stay in US nor get a work status. You will needto waiy at least 5 years to file I-485 if he remains LPR (or sooner if he becomes US citizen). in he meantime you will still need TN or H on your own merit.

Thank you both for your responses.
Yes, it's a new Lockheed hotel in MD right next to the headquarters. It is going to be a Center for training / hotel.

Nelsona, I still have a TN because technically I will work for my employer until May 28th. My question is: Can I apply for a B2 now and stay? I just dont want to leave the country and then come back; you know how hard it is to find a job in the US from Canada!!

Thanks to all for your answers, help and moral support! :)

Gia

You said you already quit, so you are no longer technically in TN status, so you have no status to change from. You need to get re-hired by old firm first.

Are you finished with your existing company i.e. they won't keep you on?

From what you are describing, your last day is actually May 28, so it would seem you are still employed.

I have already resigned to my other job and they are debating wether to take me back or not.
Why would someone quit their job before nailing down the other?

You gotta wonder sometimes about adding a saliva test for TN.

Yes, technically I am still employed until May 28th.
I had the contract signed and everything ready, including immigration letter, from the other employer. They were the ones that pushed me to put my 2 weeks in so I could start on 05/29 with them! That is the reason why I quit... I had the other one nailed down...

Any advice on what the next step should be if they dont take me back?

nelsona.....I think she feels bad enough.....but I have to agree.

And yes I know what she wrote about already resigning but.....this may have all been verbal with no official paperwork being put through, but other than some bruised ego's and some commitment issues.

Giova, the only problem I see you having from this point of view (outside your immigration issue) is that you have now set the stage where they know you may leave. So if they take you back, you are going to feel obligated to them. So now you have to decide whether or not you can stay married to them. They are going to want some commitment from you.

nelsona is so right about bizarre things happening when getting another job and all of a sudden it going south.

The moral of the story to everyone.......NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER give up one job for another without the formal offer letter and the TN in hand. And that goes for any job anywhere - even in Canada. We all buy houses without selling the one we're in - but we do it on condition we sell our existing house. Same thing for a job - everything has to be right before you leave your present one. This should be elementary.