Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Dude, how you are going to get the passport the same day ??. Even with state department appointment, it might take upto 2 days.
How ? With an appointment at NYC Passport Agency and paying an extra fee. I was told that I could get it within the same day.

What about your home country VISA ??. You don't need one ??.
I'm going out for holiday and destination country doesn't require VISA for my birth country so I can use my current password but I won't be able to return in US using Certificate of Naturalization only. That's why I need to get the US passport.

You may very well get Oath by 12 PM but it may be at 4 PM as well.
That's why I asked. I am scheduled very early and I read here that first oath is around 11AM and If I can't make it I will ask to do come back in another day (for oath only).

How ? With an appointment at NYC Passport Agency and paying an extra fee. I was told that I could get it within the same day.

I'm going out for holiday and destination country doesn't require VISA for my birth country so I can use my current password but I won't be able to return in US using Certificate of Naturalization only. That's why I need to get the US passport.

That's why I asked. I am scheduled very early and I read here that first oath is around 11AM and If I can't make it I will ask to do come back in another day (for oath only).

More info. I bet its risky to have interview and passport the same day.

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/fix-its-how-tos-info/getting-a-same-day-passport/

I probably now know you or take a guess, I think I was sitting in front of you, nright near the entrance at the corner of row (I hope so I am right) and your wife didn;t had interview, and If not mistaken After coming out of interview you mentioned abt asking you abt Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, bcos as soon as my wife was out of interview I asked her to hand me over the Marriage certificate orginal copy as she had taken for her interview.
So how u enjoying ur first day as Citizen
Intrestingly I had same set of question (see my post) and was asked to write and read the same sentence what you were asked, and coincidence my wife was also asked same questions and asked to read: "When is Columbus Day?" and Asked to write: "Columbus Day is in October."

I wonder if they do same questions for a given day? And then switch on next day? I thought it was supposed to be randomized for each interview.... but I guess not!

No, I'm a female! :D My husband (Caucasian) was left sitting out in waiting room, near the front on the left side of room.

How long does it to do the interview and oath in the same day in Newark ?

I'm scheduled at 8:50AM and next day in the morning I will leave the country so I have to get the passport within same day.

I was told by USCIS that I can do interview and postpone the oath but I'd prefer to do everything in that day.

Thank you

As you can see, it can vary. For CG_Chakkar, he has 8:40 a.m. interview and was at 11:15 a.m. ceremony. But I also had 8:40 a.m. interview at same location on same day, and had to do the 2:00 p.m. ceremony.

Guys / Gals,
I became American on Oct 21st. The interview was just a typical one. It took about 10 minutes. Mine is a 5 year based (after employment based GC). Based on my experience i can cofidently say that if you have no negative factors in your record (never been arrested) then interview is just a formality. They will just ask you those 6 easy questions which will be from the 100 questions in the book that they gave you during finger printing. Going to citizenship interview is like going to stamping for your GC wen your case is already approved. They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. You don't need any thin else. I have seen a few people posting that they were asked about birth certificate. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications. The 3 yr marriage based people may have to take more documents (combined accounts, proof of living togather etc).

Let me pt my interview experiences in bulletin points :
1) Traffic Tickets : Don't sweat over traffic tickets unless they are DUI related or Accident leading to police arrest. The IO will only ask you have you ever been arrested and you will say "No". There ends the matter. He doesn't have your minor traffic affenses records in front of him. So don't bother about telling him these minor trivia. If you tell about them then you will have to submit detailed court disposal documents for those cases.
2) Parking : There are paid parking lots all across that Broad Street. At almost every traffic light (near this Federal building) you will see big boards about paid parking lots. Try the one opposite the church (which is next to the Federal building). It's 11 dollars for 10 hrs. If that is full, then try the one at the next traffic light. That's 14 dollars per day.
3) Interview timings : As soon as you enter 15th floor, you have to go to window 1 and submit your interview letter. It looks like in most cases people are being called 1 hour after they submit their interview letter at window1. The interview takes about 10 minutes (half of that time, the IO will be seeing your information on the computer and entering some information). All you need to do is answer the 6 questions and you will pass the interview.
4) Oath timings: After the interview,it's taking about 1 hr again to get the Oath handbook. Once you get the Oath handbook then you are ready for Oath. The Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. After that you can head for your car.
5) Name change : It's very simple. If yo have not already mentioned in the N400, just tell the IO that you want name change. He will give you what ever name you want. Also some people like "OneMoreStupid" have asked about having their first names and middle names appearing differently in different identification documents like GC, Passport, SSN etc. Even my case is also a similar one. But it is a non issue. The IO's are very nice people (even though some of them may not appear or talk in a friendly way). They use common sense and they will not create beaurocratic problems.
6) Documents you need for interview : It depends on the type of application. If it is based on 5yr emplyment GC, then all you need is just GC, drivers license and Passport. You may also want to carry your birth certificate (just in case). There is no need for other documents.
7) Other / Miscellaneous tips : It's better to go there 1 or 1.5 hrs before the interview so that you will be called at your scheduled time. If you are able to take the 11am Oath or 2pm Oath then go to 10th floor (SSN office) and fill out the SSN update application and submit it. You need to show them your naturalization certificate in order to do this. There is a canteen on 2nd floor. I guess that it closes at 3.30pm.

Over all, it's a very simple process and you just go there and complete the formalities and become a happy American :) . Please let me know if any of you have any questions. I will be pleased to answer. My immigration journey in this country is finally over and i am enjoying it. The Green Card process was tough. I have worked with Rajiv Khanna during the I485 stage to put pressure on INS to expedite the process. If not for Rajiv's lawsuit against INS for I485 delays, our green card process would have been delayed by a few years. I thank him for helping the immigrants.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

DO: Newark, NJ
12 September2009: N400 Mailed to TSC (priority mail)
14 September 2009: N400 Recd
18 September 2009: Check Cashed
17 September 2009 : NOA Date
17 September 2009 :pD
21 September :NOA recieved
29 september: Recd FP notice
13 October : FP Done
XXXX: Received Yellow letter asking for DL
XXXX: received Interview letter
XXXX: Interview date

I want toplan a trip to India. Can you guess when I will get Interview letter or what is expected Interview date according to Newark DO trends ?

I want toplan a trip to India. Can you guess when I will get Interview letter or what is expected Interview date according to Newark DO trends ?

Expect between Dec 25th to Jan 10.

I want to plan a trip to India. Can you guess when I will get Interview letter or what is expected Interview date according to Newark DO trends ?

Guess of "kaatupaadi" may be correct but any guess with USCIS time can go wrong.
You may receive interview date letter in 15-25 days and you will know Scheduled Interview date. Better to plan the trip once you get interview date letter in hand.

***FYI Airline tickets to India or international travel are going to be costly in end of December and in January first two weeks.

Check Encashed yesterday.

Just a quick question:

Will we be able to predict the Receipt # from the back of the check like we used to do during I-485 sometime ago?

How does the receipt# look like? (like starts with NBC100295xxxx or SRC100295xxxx)

Any information is appreciated

Check Encashed yesterday.

Just a quick question:

Will we be able to predict the Receipt # from the back of the check like we used to do during I-485 sometime ago?

How does the receipt# look like? (like starts with NBC100295xxxx or SRC100295xxxx)
----------------NBC*123456789

Any information is appreciated

Expect your reciept 8-15 days from the date they recieved N400.

Joining the group

Hey guys,

I sent my application on 10/23/09. I have receievd my NOA. I reside in NJ, my case is little complicated as I was arrested for DUI last year (3 months license suspension, 12 Hours IDRC, court/DMV fines).

10/29/2009: Notice Date
10/30/2009: NOA received
xx/xx/2009: FP notice date
xx/xx/2009: FP notice received
xx/xx/20xx: IL received
xx/xx/20xx: ID
xx/xx/2010: Oath Letter
xx/xx/2010: Oath Date
xx/xx/2010: Passport Application Date
xx/xx/2010: Recieved Passport

For anyone who has interview in this year, if the IO asks who the governor is of our state,I should answer Jon Corzine or the new governor Chris Christie. Thanks

For anyone who has interview in this year, if the IO asks who the governor is of our state,I should answer Jon Corzine or the new governor Chris Christie. Thanks

Chris is governor elect. Until Chris gets sworn into office Jan 20, Jon is still governor of NJ.

Looks like my case has got stuck in fbi namecheck.
googling this gave an approximate time frame of 30 - 120 days,
but have heard horror stories of > 3 years.

Any comments about this ?
Anyone else with similar experienc ?

Walk in FP in NJ

Hi,

I live in South Brunswick area, can somebody please let me know the hours and locations for walk in FP in NJ.

Looks like my case has got stuck in fbi namecheck.
googling this gave an approximate time frame of 30 - 120 days,
but have heard horror stories of > 3 years.

Any comments about this ?
Anyone else with similar experienc ?

How do you conclude your case is stuck in namecheck, because you did your FP 2 months ago and haven't heard anything? It typically takes anywhere from 1-3 after FP to get IL, so your case is within the time lines so far. Be patient, you'll get IL soon.

Yes I did my FP on 09/10 and am still waiting for IL.
I called the USCIS 1-800 number and spoke to a rep about my case.
He said that fingerprint check was done but name check has not been completed.
He said it can take upto 6 months for the name check.

How do you conclude your case is stuck in namecheck, because you did your FP 2 months ago and haven't heard anything? It typically takes anywhere from 1-3 after FP to get IL, so your case is within the time lines so far. Be patient, you'll get IL soon.

Do online status change after finger printing ? How do we know if fbi name check or fingerprinting is complete ? Will they process the name check/background check if you walk in ahead of you fingerprint schedule ?

US Citizenship- Newark, NJ

I have just received the yellow notice asking me to bring my DL to the interview and I wanted to ask if anyone in this forum had a DL from a different State at the time of his/her interview? Do I have to change my DL to NJ?
I used to live in FL, I moved to NJ about a year ago and I have been doing my application through the Newark DO. Everything has been fine so far, but since I never changed my FL DL to a NJ DL, I am worried that the officer will have a problem with this…..

Below are the dates of each step of my process…

9/3/09-Mailed N-400
9/9/09-Priority Date/Received date
9/14/09-Check cashed
9/23/09-Received FP Notice
10/07/09- FP date
11/07/09- Received Yellow Notice asking to bring DL
xx/xx/xx- Interview Notice
xx/xx/xx- Interview Date