10/28/2009: FP notice date
10/13/2009: FP notice received
10/28/2009: FP Done
**/**/***: Interview Notice date
**/**/***: Interview Notice received
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

Went there at 8:45 for 9:00 AM appoinment ..parked the car in a meter parking couple of blocks from the center.. I had about 35 people before me so it took me about 40 mins inside and came out at 10:00 ...

Next the wait contines for the Status change & Yellow letter.

Interesting! So you did NOT have oath ceremony on same day as interview at Newark DO!

I wonder what determines whether it is same day or not. (Trying to figure out if spouse should take leave from work or not. If just interview, no point; but if it's oath ceremony, then he would like to attend)

Hi MarineBiologist

The appoinment is for FP....Still have a long way to go the Interview..
check my signature ..

Interesting! So you did NOT have oath ceremony on same day as interview at Newark DO!

I wonder what determines whether it is same day or not. (Trying to figure out if spouse should take leave from work or not. If just interview, no point; but if it's oath ceremony, then he would like to attend)

Got IL for spouse today. Diff days for me and my wife.

08/24/2009: N-400 application sent to lockbox
09/19/2009: FP Done
10/24/2009: Online status updated. Sent for standard interview.
10/26/2009: Yellow letter for both. IL for self.
12/04/2009: ID for self
11/30/2009: ID for spouse

Last edited by a moderator:
today I received a "naturalization initial interview" request in mount laurel, NJ. it doesn't say anything about the naturalization test or an oath... Is that normal?
from what I see from other people, the test / oath ceremony comes after the fingerprints stage... could it be the test even though it does not say that on the notice? can anyone let me know? thanks

updated timeline:
09/24/2009: N-400 application sent (Lewisville TX)
09/28/2009: RD
09/30/2009: Notice date
10/01/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009: RFE status in website (FP...?)
10/07/2009: FP notice date
10/17/2009: FP Done (Elizabeth,NJ)
10/26/2009: Initial Interview Notice date (mt laurel on 11/30)
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

today I received a "naturalization initial interview" request in mount laurel, NJ. it doesn't say anything about the naturalization test or an oath... Is that normal?
from what I see from other people, the test / oath ceremony comes after the fingerprints stage... could it be the test even though it does not say that on the notice? can anyone let me know? thanks

The initial interview is main interview, the second "interview" is oath.
In some rare cases, they also schedule a second interview, similar to the first one.

The initial interview is main interview, the second "interview" is oath.
In some rare cases, they also schedule a second interview, similar to the first one.
Thx BOBSMYTH , this means that the whole process will be little over two months.... that's great!

posted by "GC_KA_CHAKKAR"Newark NJ - Naturalization Experience october 29

Hi Friends
I and my wife are proud citizen of US now.
I am putting my Experience, just may be it might benefits some of my friends and folks in this forum
I had interview and 8:40 AM and for wife at 9:00 AM. Reached at around 8:10AM - 8:15 AM. Already 100 ppls before. I guess folks having interview at around 10:00 AM where also there.
1. Submit appointment letter at window 1. The lady is smart and I guess sort the letter according to Appointment time. So Even if you have interview at say 11 AM and go at 8 AM, may be you will not be called till 11:00 - 11:30 AM
So try to reach like 1 hour before, unless you wanna wait in room for 2-3hrs. The lady distribute letter for Different Room (1 ,2 and 3). Each Room has probably around 5-10 IO and 5-10 cubicle for interview.
2. In this case my wife was assigned to different Room than me and was called before me, she was back in 10 mins and I was called immediately in different room. Me to back in 10-15 mins
SO All process was done by 9:45 not bad just 1 1/2 hr
3. As per as interview experience, I am not sure how many had similar experience at Newark, but surprisingly me and wife had similar experience, although IO was different person. Others may probably have same experience

As soon as I was in Interview romm I was asked to swear If i will say truth
Officer opened my file and ask If I had to do any changes in my form, I just told that I had missed mentioning about my Candad trips and handed him new copy of that page.
Asked If I wanna change my name
Asked if how many kids I have ?
Where do I work ?
I was expecting him to go through asking me all Yes/No Question, but he just checked everything with pen on the form and finally asked me If I support US Constitution, I said Yes
4. Got a Set of Printed Paper which had test Questions. Asked 6 and was done.
What did the Declaration of Independence do
Name one branch or part of the government
We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years
If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
What does the President's Cabinet do
When was the Declaration of Independence adopted

And he then asked to read and write a line of about 5-6 words.
And was Done
Intrestingly wife had same exact question. I guess they have 3 - 4 set oif 10 question each.
And in 10 mins I was done, almost feel like it was decided even before that my case is gonna be approved.
The IO was nice, he was not too friendly but not rude too.
My case is 5 years employement based.
I was not asked to show any documents, although I had carried most of them and will recommend to others too.

I had Oath Ceremony at 11:20 AM and done in another 15-20 mins, I had changed my SSN status after GC only.

My feeling is unless you have some DUI, Arrest, Court Case or Immigration isue you are almost approved unless you mess up in 10 questions.

I Thanks Almighty for completing my journey going all the way back from H1 - GC- Citizen
And I wish all my fellow and friends good luck and great wishes in there Citizenship process
10 July 2009 : N400 Recd
10 July 2009 : PD
13 July 2009 : NOA Date
13 July 2009 : Check Cashed
25 Juy 2009 : Recd FP notice
05 Aug 2009 : FP Schedule (Done) at Elizabeth NJ
08 Sep 2009 : Received Yellow letter asking for DL
18 Sep 2009 : Received IL Letter for both me and wife
29 Oct 2009 : ID - Passed and US Citizen

Thanks ginnu
For Posting my Experience, I was about to post on this thread
But How abt having a new thread which just talks abt Inteview Experience, and so ppl don't have to dig it here.
In either case, I appreciate you putting my experience on this thread
But If folks want they can add newark Experience in thread I created
"newark naturalization experience"

Thanks ginnu
But How abt having a new thread which just talks abt Inteview Experience, and so ppl don't have to dig it here.

Hi GC_KA_CHAKKAR

Did you list any Traffic Citations on your N-400 and if so did the IO ask for any proofs or court documents?

Thanks in advance

Thanks ginnu
-----------Interview Experiences very according to DO. Many who post updates or interview exp in Newark thread will read the Newark thread.

-----------------They can add .

-----------------

-----------------

Hi Ginnu
I had no Traffic tickets for last 10-12 years.
But my wife had one 2 1/2 yrs before driving at 45 at 40 Speed limit. We had got our Court Proof.
But IO in her case didn't go through all the Yes/No Question. When she was asked about if She Supports the US Constitution she said Yes and IO asked if she wa ready for Test, she said she would like to mention abt the ticket she got 2 1/2 yrs before, IO said No Don't worry you are fine.
But I guess Its always good idea to Carry all the proof. As I said (hopefully I am right) your case status is decided even before you walk in for interview.

In my case after filling the N-400 in July, I had travelled to Canada on our way back at POE, Custom officer asked If I was carryinga any fruits or any thing I wanna declare which I purchased in Canada. I told him about dozen of mangoes and forgot to mention about some vgetables ($10-$20) which I was carrying. The fined me for not mentioning abt vegetables, for interview I had taken the proof the paper they gave me about the violation and fine which I paid.
But IO after 5 minutes straight asked me If I support the US Constitution, and at that time I thought I better not tell anything now.
The one reason being at POE back in July I had asked the Custom Officer, how will this violation afferct my citizenship. They said you pay fine and the Case is closed, it doesn't go on any of your records.
I don't know howtrue that was.
But Yesterday I Preferred to stay quite becasuse he didn;t ask me abt anything.
BTW the IO officer has a big Folder of your case and probably have all the information he needs to make decision.

But as I said, better be prepared I had taken all the proofs (even for the Inspection I had missed on my vehcile), Birth certificate, Tax Return and all.

Guys / Gals,
I became American on Oct 21st. The interview was just a typical one. It took about 10 minutes. Mine is a 5 year based (after employment based GC). Based on my experience i can cofidently say that if you have no negative factors in your record (never been arrested) then interview is just a formality. They will just ask you those 6 easy questions which will be from the 100 questions in the book that they gave you during finger printing. Going to citizenship interview is like going to stamping for your GC wen your case is already approved. They will not ask you any documents other than GC, Drivers License and Passport. You don't need any thin else. I have seen a few people posting that they were asked about birth certificate. Other than that you don't need to carry any thing else for 5 year GC based applications. The 3 yr marriage based people may have to take more documents (combined accounts, proof of living togather etc).

Let me pt my interview experiences in bulletin points :
1) Traffic Tickets : Don't sweat over traffic tickets unless they are DUI related or Accident leading to police arrest. The IO will only ask you have you ever been arrested and you will say "No". There ends the matter. He doesn't have your minor traffic affenses records in front of him. So don't bother about telling him these minor trivia. If you tell about them then you will have to submit detailed court disposal documents for those cases.
2) Parking : There are paid parking lots all across that Broad Street. At almost every traffic light (near this Federal building) you will see big boards about paid parking lots. Try the one opposite the church (which is next to the Federal building). It's 11 dollars for 10 hrs. If that is full, then try the one at the next traffic light. That's 14 dollars per day.
3) Interview timings : As soon as you enter 15th floor, you have to go to window 1 and submit your interview letter. It looks like in most cases people are being called 1 hour after they submit their interview letter at window1. The interview takes about 10 minutes (half of that time, the IO will be seeing your information on the computer and entering some information). All you need to do is answer the 6 questions and you will pass the interview.
4) Oath timings: After the interview,it's taking about 1 hr again to get the Oath handbook. Once you get the Oath handbook then you are ready for Oath. The Oath ceremonies take place at 11.15am, 2pm and 4.15pm. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. After that you can head for your car.
5) Name change : It's very simple. If yo have not already mentioned in the N400, just tell the IO that you want name change. He will give you what ever name you want. Also some people like "OneMoreStupid" have asked about having their first names and middle names appearing differently in different identification documents like GC, Passport, SSN etc. Even my case is also a similar one. But it is a non issue. The IO's are very nice people (even though some of them may not appear or talk in a friendly way). They use common sense and they will not create beaurocratic problems.
6) Documents you need for interview : It depends on the type of application. If it is based on 5yr emplyment GC, then all you need is just GC, drivers license and Passport. You may also want to carry your birth certificate (just in case). There is no need for other documents.
7) Other / Miscellaneous tips : It's better to go there 1 or 1.5 hrs before the interview so that you will be called at your scheduled time. If you are able to take the 11am Oath or 2pm Oath then go to 10th floor (SSN office) and fill out the SSN update application and submit it. You need to show them your naturalization certificate in order to do this. There is a canteen on 2nd floor. I guess that it closes at 3.30pm.

Over all, it's a very simple process and you just go there and complete the formalities and become a happy American :) . Please let me know if any of you have any questions. I will be pleased to answer. My immigration journey in this country is finally over and i am enjoying it. The Green Card process was tough. I have worked with Rajiv Khanna during the I485 stage to put pressure on INS to expedite the process. If not for Rajiv's lawsuit against INS for I485 delays, our green card process would have been delayed by a few years. I thank him for helping the immigrants.

Hi dsatish
DO you have to submit Original Naturalization Certificate for SSN Change
Or Photocopy should do

Just became a U.S. citizen yesterday so I'll post my experience too!
I was also at the Newark DO around same time as GC_Chakkar!

My appointment was for 8:40 a.m. and I showed up with spouse (born USC) at 8:15 a.m. Waiting room was crowded! As Chakkar pointed out, over 100 people. Went to window 1, handed in my appointment letter, and took a seat.

Called to Door 1 at 9:10 a.m. IO was very polite and nice.
Told to stand and swear to tell the truth.
IO went over basics, like verifying address, birth date, height, employer, name.
Handed over my state driver license, green card, and passport for verification.

Since my app is based on marriage, IO then asked for marriage certificate, spouse's birth certificate, and last 3 years of tax returns.
IO asked a few questions about spouse, like where is he now (in waiting room)? What does he do for a living? Is he self-employed? What is the name of his employer? Did you drive here together? Do you live together? How long have you lived together? Do you have any children?

Asked to read: "When is Columbus Day?"
Asked to write: "Columbus Day is in October."
Asked 6 civics questions:
- How many years are senators elected?
- Name one branch or part of government.
- If both President and VP cannot serve, who becomes president?
- What did Declaration of Independence do?
- How many justices on Supreme Court?
- What does President's Cabinet do?

IO went through a list of questions from the application, such as ever prostituted, gambling or addiction problem, ever a Nazi, ever convicted, ever claim to be a citizen, etc. Then he asked if I supported the Constitution and whether I would bear arms if the law required.

I had 4 traffic violations in last 5 years (12 mph over speed limit, failure to obey traffic light, failure to inspect, and failure to pay marking meter)-- all minor offenses with no points. He asked if I had paid them, I said yes, and had driving record from DMV to show him. He didn't look at it.

I had photocopies of everything (passport, license, green card, certificates, tax forms, etc.) but he didn't ask for any. I also brought utility bills, credit card bills, bank statements, but he didn't ask for any.

Done in 20 - 30 minutes. Sent back out to waiting room. However, unlike GC_Chakkar, I didn't get called to sign certificate and get the "red book" (as they called it) till 11:30 a.m.! So I missed the first oath ceremony and was told to stick around for the 2:00 p.m. ceremony. Ceremony went smoothly, and now I'm a US citizen!!

Just became a U.S. citizen yesterday so I'll post my experience too!
I was also at the Newark DO around same time as GC_Chakkar!

My appointment was for 8:40 a.m. and I showed up with spouse (born USC) at 8:15 a.m. Waiting room was crowded! As Chakkar pointed out, over 100 people. Went to window 1, handed in my appointment letter, and took a seat.

Called to Door 1 at 9:10 a.m. IO was very polite and nice.
Told to stand and swear to tell the truth.
IO went over basics, like verifying address, birth date, height, employer, name.
Handed over my state driver license, green card, and passport for verification.

Since my app is based on marriage, IO then asked for marriage certificate, spouse's birth certificate, and last 3 years of tax returns.
IO asked a few questions about spouse, like where is he now (in waiting room)? What does he do for a living? Is he self-employed? What is the name of his employer? Did you drive here together? Do you live together? How long have you lived together? Do you have any children?

Asked to read: "When is Columbus Day?"
Asked to write: "Columbus Day is in October."
Asked 6 civics questions:
- How many years are senators elected?
- Name one branch or part of government.
- If both President and VP cannot serve, who becomes president?
- What did Declaration of Independence do?
- How many justices on Supreme Court?
- What does President's Cabinet do?

IO went through a list of questions from the application, such as ever prostituted, gambling or addiction problem, ever a Nazi, ever convicted, ever claim to be a citizen, etc. Then he asked if I supported the Constitution and whether I would bear arms if the law required.

I had 4 traffic violations in last 5 years (12 mph over speed limit, failure to obey traffic light, failure to inspect, and failure to pay marking meter)-- all minor offenses with no points. He asked if I had paid them, I said yes, and had driving record from DMV to show him. He didn't look at it.

I had photocopies of everything (passport, license, green card, certificates, tax forms, etc.) but he didn't ask for any. I also brought utility bills, credit card bills, bank statements, but he didn't ask for any.

Done in 20 - 30 minutes. Sent back out to waiting room. However, unlike GC_Chakkar, I didn't get called to sign certificate and get the "red book" (as they called it) till 11:30 a.m.! So I missed the first oath ceremony and was told to stick around for the 2:00 p.m. ceremony. Ceremony went smoothly, and now I'm a US citizen!!

I probably now know you or take a guess, I think I was sitting in front of you, nright near the entrance at the corner of row (I hope so I am right) and your wife didn;t had interview, and If not mistaken After coming out of interview you mentioned abt asking you abt Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, bcos as soon as my wife was out of interview I asked her to hand me over the Marriage certificate orginal copy as she had taken for her interview.
So how u enjoying ur first day as Citizen
Intrestingly I had same set of question (see my post) and was asked to write and read the same sentence what you were asked, and coincidence my wife was also asked same questions and asked to read: "When is Columbus Day?" and Asked to write: "Columbus Day is in October."

How long does it to do the interview and oath in the same day in Newark ?

I'm scheduled at 8:50AM and next day in the morning I will leave the country so I have to get the passport within same day.

I was told by USCIS that I can do interview and postpone the oath but I'd prefer to do everything in that day.

Thank you

Dude, how you are going to get the passport the same day ??. Even with state department appointment, it might take upto 2 days. What about your home country VISA ??. You don't need one ??.

You may very well get Oath by 12 PM but it may be at 4 PM as well.