Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Citizen Card

Hi Nick123,

Never heard about Citizen card. Can you please let us know its benefits & how to get it.

Thanks

Sorry vijo its called Passport Card not Citizen Card. The dept of Justice have recently started to give Passport Cards. You can apply for it with your passport application with the additional of $20.00. The benefit is if one frequently travel to Canada & South American countries then the person do not need a US passport to travel. The Passport card is enough( Its like a mini passpot), Its like a Green Card when you enter USA. They Immigration officer just swipe the card at the US borders while entering. Also one can always carry it in the wallet as proof of citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edison_NJ,
Congratulations, my old friend. My interview is exactly one month after your's. Thanks for posting complete details. Did you mention about your traffic tickets in your application or in the interview ?

Sorry vijo its called Passport Card not Citizen Card. The dept of Justice have recently started to give Passport Cards. You can apply for it with your passport application with the additional of $20.00. The benefit is if one frequently travel to Canada & South American countries then the person do not need a US passport to travel. The Passport card is enough( Its like a mini passpot), Its like a Green Card when you enter USA. They Immigration officer just swipe the card at the US borders while entering. Also one can always carry it in the wallet as proof of citizenship.

Thanks a lot NICK123. That will help me.

Sorry guys, Can some one tell me how can I schedule info pass. Is there phone number and how long it will take to be able to speak to an officer regading my case. Is there any better approach?

I have sent them asking to reschedule my interview one month ago and they send me letter said that I failed to appear at the interview date (september 14) !!!

Many thanks for help.

Actually, It was my wife. Interview was 9/14 and a letter requesting a reschedule was sent 9/1 because of sudden travel.

Actually, It was my wife. Interview was 9/14 and a letter requesting a reschedule was sent 9/1 because of sudden travel.
Do you have evidence that she sent letter to reschedule the interview?
If she has the evidence or copy of letter or receipt that Local USCIS got the reschedule letter then visit Local USCIS with infopass. One can book the infopass from USCIS site.

what next after US citizenship

I know my question is now not appropriate for this forum but i some one
can advise on which visa is best for INDIA after becoming US citizen.

1) Tourist
2) OCI
3) etc.....

Thanks

I know my question is now not appropriate for this forum but i some one
can advise on which visa is best for INDIA after becoming US citizen.

1) Tourist
2) OCI
3) etc.....

Thanks

If you are eligible for OCI then OCI is the best (it takes about 45-50 days from the date you mail the application of OCI to Indian consulate. OCI is for life. One can work in India with OCI.
POI card is valid only for 15 years and one need to register with FRRO if staying more than 6 months (more Fees for PIO)
Visa stamp is for validity of 5 years or 10 years. You can check the Indian embassy or Indian consulate for the fees.

If you are eligible for OCI then OCI is the best (it takes about 45-50 days from the date you mail the application of OCI to Indian consulate. OCI is for life. One can work in India with OCI.
POI card is valid only for 15 years and one need to register with FRRO if staying more than 6 months (more Fees for PIO)
Visa stamp is for validity of 5 years or 10 years. You can check the Indian embassy or Indian consulate for the fees.

Ginnu,
Thanks a lot for the info.

Dependent

Me & My wife are going to Citizenship interview on Friday. If possible, planing to apply Passport on same day . Wondering what documentation we need to submit for my son's passport (11 years old, Born in India).

Not planning to apply for N-600 for my son unless it is required.

Had Interview on Friday...

My appointment time is 9:00 AM, reached there by 8:45 (oh boy lot of people by the we reached). I was called in by 11:AM, It went smooth for me, interview went for more than 30 minutes. I was bit surprised by the amount of info they have in hand..starting from my first H1 papers (11 year back) they have each and every piece of paper i submitted ( like affidavit I submitted for lack of birth certificates. ) She went through my application line by line. After completing the interview (11:30), she said I can go out for lunch if I wish and asked to to come back to window 1 by 1PM. I informed them at 12:45 that I am in and waiting for certificate. They called me at 1:30 and said my photos are bit small and asked to get new pictures... Got 4 pictures (for $10, good quality) on broad street. After signing certificate called for oath at 2:00PM. By 2:40 we were out.

My Wife had interview bit earlier (10AM), passed the test but they marked "Can't make decision Today". They said, we will get a letter asking more information.

During Interview they asked her Rental Papers we didn't collect them as we have all IRS returns and my employer letters. But they are particular about Rental Papers or some thing like that to show that she was in USA during the last 5 years. In the last five years she is out of county for more than 600+ days.

1st trip 30 days
2nd trip 285 days
3rd trip 302 days.

I made 6 trips in the last 5 years (but none more than 4 months),

Did any one come across similar situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dsatish and Jay_T

Thanks dsatish and Jay_T

dsatish, It has been very long time since we were in this forum during the greencard processing. GC took about 30 months and I was in this forum most of the time everyday but nowadays I come into this forum once in a while. It is good to see you back.

Few Observations during my Interview:
- I didn't take any other documents other than passports (old from India and new one that I got in NY just before greeencard approval), greencard and drivers license and Immigration Officer didn't ask any documents other than GC and passport (didn't even see my old passport).
- Lot of people have brought their children. I saw one person take his children inside the interview room as his wife already went for interview and didn't come back by the time his name was called.

Update to my profile

Wanted to update my profile also

Newark D/O
09/16/09 N-400 Sent
09/17/09 N-400 Received and Signed by ***** at 09:25 AM
09/18/09 Priority Date
09/18/09 Notice of Action
09/23/09 Check cashed
09/24/09 Notice of Action letter received at home
09/25/09 Notice of Action date on FP letter received
09/28/09 FP Notice letter received at home
10/15/09 FP Date Sceduled