Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

I agree with you, some of the questions are below - anyone has experience of being asked these questions and whether they had to answer just one or all of the answers?

2. What does the Constitution do?
▪ sets up the government
▪ defines the government
▪ protects basic rights of Americans

12. What is the “rule of law”?
▪ Everyone must follow the law.
▪ Leaders must obey the law.
▪ Government must obey the law.
▪ No one is above the law.

37. What does the judicial branch do?
▪ reviews laws
▪ explains laws
▪ resolves disputes (disagreements)
▪ decides if a law goes against the Constitution

61. Why did the colonists fight the British?
▪ because of high taxes (taxation without representation)
▪ because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering)
▪ because they didn’t have self-government

There are a couple of more like the above. Anyone with any info please advise.

Only one answer is expected unless the question specifically asks for more than 1 answer..ex:What are two cabinet level positions?

Waiting for IL

Hi Folks
I received Yellow Letter on 09/08/09.
I checked yesterday (09/17) my status (with NBC*) and it said, The case is sent for Interview to Local Office
I had not checked the status before. So I am not sure when the status changed
DOes the status change after the Yellow letter is send or when the actua Interview Letter is send
Anyone with this experience ?

Hi Folks
I received Yellow Letter on 09/08/09.
I checked yesterday (09/17) my status (with NBC*) and it said, The case is sent for Interview to Local Office
I had not checked the status before. So I am not sure when the status changed
DOes the status change after the Yellow letter is send or when the actua Interview Letter is send
Anyone with this experience ?

Typically people are getting IL within a week of seeing the online status changed to "Your case transferred to local Office" message. So you should receive your IL within 2 or 3 days (assuming the status changes 2 or 3 days back).

Hi All, I would like to share my interview experience.

Me and my wife had an appointment at 9:20 am. Both of us were called by IO's for interview @ 10:20am. The IO went through "tell the truth stuff..." and reviewed the N-400 form at a fast pace. After going through the form IO asked me to sign the form.

Then started withe the test for Civic, Reading & Writing test which was very simple. The IO was very professional and courteous and gave me the letter with congratulation. I'm recommending you for citizenship. Then my name was called and asked me to sign the certificate then followed by OATH.

My wife was questioned for few long trips of 6 months. She gave the valid reason and the IO was also very kind during the whole process.

Entire journey/experience was very pleasant.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum. All of You guys are great and this forum is extremely helpful for new people.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks

DO: Newark, NJ
10 September2009: N400 Mailed
11 September 2009: N400 Recd
14 September 2009: Check Cashed
XXXX: NOA Date
XXXX:NOA recieved
XXXX: Recd FP notice
XXXX: FP Schedule
XXXX: Received Yellow letter asking for DL
XXXX: received Interview letter
XXXX: Interview date

My interview is Tomorow at 8am does anyone else has interview tomorow.

Wish me luck i am so scared and i don't know why.

>>>It is good to have it, but they should have what you sent in for your GC app. on file.

Thanks, Another_dude.

Good Luck to Wetback4life.

District Office: Newark, NJ
06/29/2009 N400 mailed to Lewisville Texas via USPS
07/02/2009 Priority date/Received date
07/06/2009 Notice date
07/06/2009 Checks cashed
07/10/2009 FP notice date
07/29/2009 FP appointment
09/01/2009 CFR Notice (yellow paper)
09/09/2009 IL notice date
10/22/2009 ID

Nj Trend

Based on what I see, This is what is happening for Newark N400 dates.

It's taking b/w 95-115 days for processing. From the PD. 110 is close.
You will more or less get the ID within 90 days of FP.

I would say more than 80% of applicants will see this going until end of December.

Jay T, Atleast you should carry the photo copy of Birth certificate. The IO can ask for it, I was asked and i know lot of my freinds who were asked also.

USA Citizen from Today (Sep-21-2009)

Hi Friends,

Today i passed my citizenship exam. Everything went smooth & fast.
But had to wait too long for Oath but i won't mind at all for that.

Officer will start with all basic questions which you filled in the form N400
like:
1. Do you have any due with IRS. Do you pay in time.
2. Willing to defend USA ... etc

Questions asked:
1) Governer of NJ.
2) where is statue of liberty.
3) First President of USA.
4) National Holidays of USA.
5) What Moments ended racial discrimation.
6) Promise you make when you become Citizen.

Read & Write: The President lives in the white house.

Document Requested:
1) Greencard & all passports.
2) Copy of marriage certificate.

Querys:
1) what i work as.
2) when did i got married.

Thats it. I am Thankfull to you all & wish you all the best.

05-12-2009 - N400 application send.
05-18-2009 - Confirmation letter received.
06-03-2009 - Finger print appointment letter
06-20-2009 - Finger Print commpleted(EliZabeth,NJ).
09-21-2009 - Citizenship exam passed.

Please add me to the list

Hello All,

I am a big time lurker on these boards and have received some amazingly great advices from fellow posters, for which I am grateful.

I have sent in my application also: so let me post my dates now and hope for the best.

09/16/09 N-400 Sent
09/17/09 N-400 Received
xx/xx/09 Priority Date
xx/xx/09 Check cashed
xx/xx/09 Notice of Action
xx/xx/09 FP Notice
xx/xx/09 FP Date
xx/xx/09 :Yellow Letter received
xx/xx/09 Interview Letter Received
xx/xx/09 Interview Date
xx/xx/09 :Interview Completed
xx/xx/09 Oath Letter
xx/xx/09 Oath Date
xx/xx/09 :Oath Ceremony

Interview and Oath completed today

I started little bit late today around 8:42am from South Brunswick and pulled over by a cop near my house for not completing stopping at a stop sign but let me go with warnings but gave ticket (fine of $54) for unclear plates. He said the black frame around the license plate makes the plate not completely visible. Frames actually block only the words "Garden State" and nothing else.

Reached Newark area around 9:45am and missed the parking lot before the federal building and had to take u turn and come back and parked on Green street ($11) and walked to the federal building. After security check downstairs, went to 15th floor (room# 1512 was the appointment room). Showed the drivers license and the interview letter to the security in 15th floor and went to window #1 and given the interview letter exactly @ 10am my appointment time(there were lot of people waiting without giving the interview letter. After an announcement around 10:30am, lot of people provided the interview letter).

10:00am - Given interview letter at window#1
11:10am - People were called for oath ceremony (1st of 3 oaths that take place everyday. And I was in 2nd oath which happens at 2pm)
11:15am - I was called for interview (one person who was sitting next me came around 9:30am for 10:20am interview but went for interview only around 12noon)
11:30am - I am done with my interview and passed the exam and came out
- INS Officer asked me to do the normal stuff by raising your right hand and say "Yes. I do" before sitting down for the actual interview and tests.
- She scanned thru the application asking questions about what is provided in the application including name, dob, most of the questions for which we answered "NO" and then "YES" for constitution related questions. She almost asked me all the questions including my trips outside US, child, married, etc.,
- I answered the first 6 questions correctly
- Name one war fought by USA in 1900's (World War I)
- House of Representatives have how many voting members (435)
- For how many years we elect a representative (2 years)
- Supreme court chief justice (John Roberts)
- which month we vote for president (November)
- Father of the nation (George Washington)
- She asked me read "Who was the first President of USA ?"
- She asked me write "George Washington was the first President of USA"
Then she said that I passed the exam and asked me to wait outside.
12:25pm - Called at window to sign the certificate of naturalization (first asked me to sign the copy and then asked me to sign the original one) and told me to come back around 1:30pm for 2pm Oath ceremony. They told me that there is a cafetaria in 2nd floor.
12:30pm - Went to 10th floor and got SSN application form to update my status and went to 2nd floor and had lunch.
2:00pm - Called people for Oath ceremony and it was over within 30 minutes. Showed videos, message from president Obama, sang a song, took pledge of allegiance. And they gave the certificate of naturalization that I signed around 12:30pm along with passport application
2:40pm - I went to SSN office at 10th floor and submitted the completed application to update the status
3:00pm - Came out of the federal building and walked into Post Office just across the road but the passport service closes at 2pm. Planning to apply for passport at County clerk's office tomorrow ($25 less than you apply at post office).
Finally immigration is over for me. My wife didn't apply for citizenship as we are planning to go back to India after 3 years and would like to keep her Indian citizenship because we would like to buy agricultural land which you cannot buy with OCI card. Both our kids (daughter and son) are US citizens.