Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Well yea - because they have past the June / July hurdle. Newark was one of those DOs that processed N-400s in 6 months or less before this fiasco hit.

Looks like not that many individuals applied between August - November if early November folks are getting interview dates in May (with August filers).

This is true. However, NYC processed N-400s in about 4-5 months before the fiasco, and some late-July applicants are still waiting. Then again, judging by recent events, NYC has become somewhat of a paradox, when it comes to N-400 processing.

N-400 mailed - late October 2007
Fingerprinting - Late January 2008
Interview/Oath Date: End of May 2008

I think I will have my interview and oath on same day. This is great news.

I took my Oath of Citizenship on March 17th.
It was a very moving experience and I am still on a high from that experience.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I took my Oath of Citizenship on March 17th.
It was a very moving experience and I am still on a high from that experience.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Congratulations! By the way, what did you end up doing about the EZ Pass violation?

Naturalization Interview and Oath date fixed for May 3rd week

Dear Friends,

I am new to this board. Have a couple of quick questions and would really appreciate if someone can answer these...

1)For my citizenship application I have got my (and my wife's) interview scheduled for3rd week of May 2008. I have two kids. My first one (9 years old)is on a green card(permananent resident) and my second one was born here and is a citizen.

2)My question is during the day of my interview, do I need to take my first daughter as well. Is there any process for her to obtain her citizenship on that day? (OR) do we need to get our citizenship approvals first(and maybe our passports) and then only apply for her citizenship/passport?

3)Will the Interview and Oath ceremony be on the same day at Newark, NJ

4)Do we get the Naturalization certificate on the same day of the Interview?

5)Where do we apply for the passport after getting the Naturalization certificate and how long does it typically take to receive the US passport?

6)During the time that I am waiting to get my US passport If I have to travel to India can I still travel on My Indian Passport?

7)When are where do I need to surrender my Indian Passport? Can I keep it till I get my OCI card or getting a typical Multiple Entry Indian Visa.?

Would appreciate some quick answers. Thanks folks.

Spouse's application separated

Hi Guys,

I have applied with my spouse for Citizenship thru N-400. My spouse received her interview notice couple of days back that was post marked over a week back. My case still shows up on the case status on USCIS website, while my spouse case does not show up any more.

Does any of you have the same issue of your's and your spouse cases being separated?

Thanks

PD 7/28/07
FP first notice 12/07, requested postponement
FP done third week of February. FP done for both myself & spouse together
Spouse interview notice received March 18th,08
Interview Date for spouse: May second week

either couple of days late or you in name check

Hi NJS,

either your letter is late a few days/week. or you are stuck in name check.

My wife's letter we got in sept and interview done in dec 07.
both of us applied in 04/07 and FP 05/07

I hope you get it soon.

regards

Finally, on March 25th 2008, I have become a US Citizen.

As may others have already mentioned, the moment was very touching... when so many people (they swear in about 500-600 people in each of the oath cermonies, and Newark has three a day) taking oath at the same time, it was a moment I would not forget...

My experience with the USCIS was very good in all of my time/interaction with them. As you see my signature below, the processing times have been pretty reasonable...

The interveiws were pretty OK. My wife was called in at 7:50AM when we got in side the room at 7:45AM. However, her interview lasted for 45 minutes (way too long in my view)... the officer was slow and very detailed. He went through the whole application in detailed, asked any changes (I will mention about them later - below), had her make those changes, asked even about the name of the teacher for our 9 year old daughter
(too detailed), let alone asking about her school etc... My wife said over all he was a OK officer, asked 10 questions (you need to get at least 6 right to pass), routine English test etc... It was just too long... Perhaps a strict FBI officer...

I was called in at 8:30AM (remember we came in at 7:45AM together, dropped off our Appointment Letters at the same time), and my officer was too cool about this process... and I was out in 5 minutes, yes, 5 minutes... As soon as he saw a pile of documents in my hand, he said to keep that pile on the side, and relax... I did mention that I have some changes in my file, he said it is OK and did not bother to make any changes to the file... Quick review of basic points in the application, 10 Questions and English test and I was out.

Here is what the list my suggestions/observations:
1. Do read and go through your application that you have submitted - they do ask questions right from it at the beginning of the interview
2. make sure you relax and not get upset if the interview is getting longer with an officer than usual and/or you are not being called even though you have been there for a long time etc... Remember that you are a few minutes away from becoming a US citizen, a very proud moment in your life...
3. As you will see, most officers are nice and smiling, joking even, and they do process quite many people a day (as I mentioned earlier, they do process about 1200-1600 people a day at Newark alone) - so give them appreciation where you can...
4. We have not see any rejections (We got out of there around 11:45AM)
5. You can take your kids and/or family members with you (even if they are not attending any interview)... as appropriate...
6. The cafeteria on the 2nd floor is very good (I am saying this as a Vegetarian) and has decent seleciton of foods... They dont have good coffee though if you are a coffee lover...

All other things have been discussed in this forum a few times, such as where to park, what to do... So I am not going to go through those topics in my posting...

Changes - We had our home address changed AFTER we applied for our N400 and hence the contact phone numbers... We did stay in the same Newark District Office area though... I filed the appropriate forms to inform USCIS about the change when the change took place. The interview letter did come to our new address and everyting was OK. Also, my wife had made a few more trips since we applied our N400...

For those, who are waiting for their interviews - good luck to all of you... be patient and you will get there too...

Thanks to this forum and all others who have contributed in the past...

Hello to everyone. I'm a silent follower of this forum. I have 2 questions for the experts around here. I hope you can help me with this....

1) My 5 yr. LPR anniversary will be on July 1, 2008, applying the 90 day rule Am I eligible to apply for naturalization sometime around the first week of April 2008?

2) I heard USCIS doesn't accept personal checks for the $675 fee including biometrics.

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I'll be sending my N-400 to VSC. My DO is Newark, NJ.

Hello to everyone. I'm a silent follower of this forum. I have 2 questions for the experts around here. I hope you can help me with this....

1) My 5 yr. LPR anniversary will be on July 1, 2008, applying the 90 day rule Am I eligible to apply for naturalization sometime around the first week of April 2008?
Correct, provided you've met the continuous residency requirement.
2) I heard USCIS doesn't accept personal checks for the $675 fee including biometrics.

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I'll be sending my N-400 to VSC. My DO is Newark, NJ.

Incorrect. USCIS does accept personel checks as well as money orders as payment. Make sure to read the naturalization manual M-476 before applying since it has valuable information that can save you lots of headaches later.

Thanks Bobsmyth. I think I'm OK with my continuous residency. 68 days was my longest travel outside the US in one single trip and only been out with a total of 233 days within the 5 yr. period distributed in various vacation trips. I'll post my updates here once I file my N-400 on April 7 for the benefit of the many here. I'm just hoping my application won't get stuck in VSC since April 7 I think is the last day of submission for the H1B applications.

hi

i have sent my N 400 and was received by VSC on 4th April. Can anyone tell me usually how long it takes to get check cashed and how much total time it takes to get naturalized?
Also, if i wish to travel after applying , what form do i need to fill before travelling?
thnx

hi

i have sent my N 400 and was received by VSC on 4th April. Can anyone tell me usually how long it takes to get check cashed and how much total time it takes to get naturalized?
Also, if i wish to travel after applying , what form do i need to fill before travelling?
thnx

It's now taking about 1-2 weeks to cash check and anywhere from 7 -15 months to get naturalized depending on your DO. Total naturalization time varied greatly between district offices.
No special documents except a valid passport and GC are required for travel (only GC is required for land travel to Canada and Mexico).

(only GC is required for land travel to Canada and Mexico).

That certainly used to be the case. I'm not 100% sure if it's true anymore. I personally know of one recent case where native-born, white Americans were initially stopped from crossing into Canada for not carrying their passports with them. They were let in, of course with a friendly reminder to carry their passports in the future. Not sure if its a requirement or if it was an overzealous official in action. So, if possible just keep your valid passport with you to avoid any issues.

OY

That certainly used to be the case. I'm not 100% sure if it's true anymore. I personally know of one recent case where native-born, white Americans were initially stopped from crossing into Canada for not carrying their passports with them. They were let in, of course with a friendly reminder to carry their passports in the future. Not sure if its a requirement or if it was an overzealous official in action. So, if possible just keep your valid passport with you to avoid any issues.

OY

It still is the case as the WHTI guidelines for land based travel have been pushed back to summer 2009.
The example you gave most likely involved an American who didn't have any proof of citizenship (US driver's license does not count as proof of citizenship). The Canadian customs officer had every right to deny entry if they don't carry proof of US citizenship on them.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

Hello All,

Has anyone got interview letter recently from Newark DO? since there is no update for interview letter on this thread.

thanks

11/26/07: Mailed N-400
02/06/08: FP done
03/28/08: called USCIS - informed me that Name check is cleared - in que for interview letter