Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

List of Doc for interview

Can someone post list of docs/ items to be taken with you to interview? Thanks in advance.

2nd/3rd Thread on the forum

Hi Samsung2,

The 3rd thread on this forum has an exhaustive listing on what docs need to be carried for the interview.

Can you also please post your timeline and your DO?

Thanks!

hi everybody,
m new to this site and i m applying N 400 in few days. I just have one question in mind that USCIS website says that it will take aprox. 16-18 months for naturalization process, then how come applicants from februray got FP in march??

Just beginning

Sweety,
FP is just the first step. Which we are gettign very fast nowadays. But after thta htere will be interview. It will take long.

Currently interviews are going for July-Aug 07 filers

I have question for one of the vets here.

I have an Oath Ceremony next week. But I got an EZ pass toll violation notice yesterday. I do have the EZpass and have been using it for last 3 -4 years, but this toll voiolation happened due to a new car that we have purchased recently an therefore, were not able to register its number plate with my EZ pass account.

So, My question is:
Is this going to have an effect on my Oath?
There is a specific question abput violations that need to be answered on the Oath letter. Should I check that as "Yes".? What evidence should I take with me.

I have question for one of the vets here.

I have an Oath Ceremony next week. But I got an EZ pass toll violation notice yesterday. I do have the EZpass and have been using it for last 3 -4 years, but this toll voiolation happened due to a new car that we have purchased recently an therefore, were not able to register its number plate with my EZ pass account.

So, My question is:
Is this going to have an effect on my Oath?
There is a specific question abput violations that need to be answered on the Oath letter. Should I check that as "Yes".? What evidence should I take with me.

This is not considered a traffic violation, as anyone could have been driving your car. A toll violation is an equivalent of a parking ticket, so it doesn't appear on your driving record. No need to disclose it.

Vorpal,

Is there anything which can support your opinion.

Sorry, but I just want to be sure.

Other than the fact that it doesn't appear on your driving record (I've received an EZ Pass violation once, for the same exact reason as you, so I speak from personal experience), I have no written facts to support my opinion. Also, the EZ Pass Authority is an organization that operates independently of the DMV and does not report to the DMV. Again, this is NOT a traffic violation, or even a parking violation. If you choose to disclose it, you may as well disclose every parking ticket you've ever had.

i m married to an indian national who holds australian GC and are planning to get settled in Aus.We got our marriage registered in india. My question is if I file N400 as single( because i think it wud b ezz to get thro the process as single!) is there any way thy can find out during backround chk tht im married ?
any response would appreciated. Thnks in advance.

Interview Letter Received

Hi,

I finally received my IL today. I have update my signature to reflect the date.

I am so happy :D:D:D

I wish the same happiness to all soon !!!!

Date of Interview known

I knew my case was close to you so i called INS and i was told that I am scheduled on May 19, 2008 and IL was sent last week March 12, 2008.

N-400 VSC
D.O- Newark
Received Date: August 24, 2007
Fingerprinted: December 26, 2007
Case cleared: jan. 22,08
Interview Date: May 19, 2008

I hope all August files will get their I.L. soon

arigsagc

Hi,

I finally received my IL today. I have update my signature to reflect the date.

I am so happy :D:D:D

I wish the same happiness to all soon !!!!

Congrats arigsagc

Congratulations arigsagc.

So there does seem to be a sequence that is being followed. And most likely it seems to be by PD.

BTW, how did you manage to get to speak to IO...did you use the good old trick? :eek:

Update on Citizenship - VSC - Newark NJ

I have update for 2 citizenship case:

VSC

N-400 Mailed: ... 8/28/2007
N-400 received by VSC: ... 8/31/2007
Priority Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Receipt Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Mailed Date: Dec 4, 2007
Check cashed: 11/15/2007
FP Date: 01/17/2008
Interview Notice ... 03/17/2008
Interview Date ... 05/20/2008
Oath Notice ... 05/20/2008
Oath Date ... 05/20/2008

The above process is on auto-pilot ....

Thanks!

I have update for 2 citizenship case:

VSC

N-400 Mailed: ... 8/28/2007
N-400 received by VSC: ... 8/31/2007
Priority Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Receipt Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Mailed Date: Dec 4, 2007
Check cashed: 11/15/2007
FP Date: 01/17/2008
Interview Notice ... 03/17/2008
Interview Date ... 05/20/2008
Oath Notice ... 05/20/2008
Oath Date ... 05/20/2008

The above process is on auto-pilot ....

Thanks!

That makes 4 reports today of ILs for August applicants at Newark DO. Very interesting.

Got IL for Newark. Here is the timeline:

Nov 15 2007: Sent N-400 to VSC
Dec 17 2007: Priority Date
Feb 11 2008: Fingerprint Appointment
Mar 18 2007: IL Received (Newark DO)
May 28 2008: IL Appointment

Wow, Newark is on a roll!

Well yea - because they have past the June / July hurdle. Newark was one of those DOs that processed N-400s in 6 months or less before this fiasco hit.

Looks like not that many individuals applied between August - November if early November folks are getting interview dates in May (with August filers).

Well yea - because they have past the June / July hurdle. Newark was one of those DOs that processed N-400s in 6 months or less before this fiasco hit.

Looks like not that many individuals applied between August - November if early November folks are getting interview dates in May (with August filers).

If only it were that simple... in NYC we've had reports of one August applicant with an interview date, and two December applicants... but a few from July that haven't heard anything.

My take on this

I think LolaLi is correct, and actually it makes even more sense when you surmise that people who would have ordinarily applied after July, preponed their decision to apply. Hence there were fewer than normal applicants after the July bump. I am guessing that some people who would have applied in August, September preponed their application.

Assuming that there were no bottlenecks at any stage of the processing cycle in the normal course of events (i.e. before the July bump), none of us should see any delay in the TOTAL processing time. There will be shifts in how long each stage takes, but the total time should remain the same (approx. 8 months from application to interview)

In fact, the people who might have gotten delayed are the people who applied 2-3 months before July '07. I am sure that resources that were otherwise devoted to a later stage of the process were redeployed to an earlier stage (i.e. from interview scheduling to NOA, check cashing etc.) helping the people who applied during July and afterwards in August, September.

It's just simple queuing theory really, and I had predicted this outcome long before I saw this acceleration. I would wager that by now the situation is entirely back to pre-July processing timelines, as evident in the fast NOA and FP notices.

Of course there will be random delays caused by the INS losing files, name checks f***-ups etc, but those are exceptions rather than the rule and used to happen before July 07 as well.

BTW, I heard that I got my IL today too ( I check over the phone since I am not at home these days ) ! Best of luck to everyone else.

VSC + Newark D.O.
PD: 09/24/07
FD: 01/28/08
IL: 03/17/08
ID: between 05/20/08 - 05/28/08 (guessing)

I think LolaLi is correct, and actually it makes even more sense when you surmise that people who would have ordinarily applied after July, preponed their decision to apply. Hence there were fewer than normal applicants after the July bump. I am guessing that some people who would have applied in August, September preponed their application.

No need to surmise; statistics kept by USCIS bear this out. Actually, September receipts were up a bit from the previous year, but all subsequent months have been low compared to the previous year. Personally, I grumble a bit at the "preponers." They're actually postponers, since they ought to have applied when eligible, not just to save a few hundred bucks.

Assuming that there were no bottlenecks at any stage of the processing cycle in the normal course of events (i.e. before the July bump), none of us should see any delay in the TOTAL processing time. There will be shifts in how long each stage takes, but the total time should remain the same (approx. 8 months from application to interview)

I don't follow your logic here. The point is that USCIS currently has an unprecedented backlog of more than a million N-400 cases (nationally). This constitutes a bottleneck for the whole process.

In fact, the people who might have gotten delayed are the people who applied 2-3 months before July '07.

I haven't followed Newark that closely, but I can tell that in the case of NYC, May, June, and early July applicants have generally seen normal timelines (7 months or so), while a number of late July, August, September folks are still waiting for ILs (with sporadic exceptions as late as December).

I am sure that resources that were otherwise devoted to a later stage of the process were redeployed to an earlier stage (i.e. from interview scheduling to NOA, check cashing etc.) helping the people who applied during July and afterwards in August, September.

Well, these are different jobs, handled by the Service Centers and the District Offices. The initial crisis in autumn was due to the fact that resources had not been redeployed, at least not sufficiently so, resulting in the so-called receipting (and check-cashing) "frontlog."

BTW, I heard that I got my IL today too ( I check over the phone since I am not at home these days ) ! Best of luck to everyone else.

Congratulations! The preponderance of evidence in the last few days certainly seems to suggest, as LolaLi says, that the hump has been scaled at Newark DO. I have my fingers crossed that NYC will follow suit.